Moparts

1050 dominator overflowing

Posted By: dragram440

1050 dominator overflowing - 01/21/11 08:34 PM

Last summer I kept having the same problem if my car would sit for a couple weeks or sometimes not even after it sat just out of the blue it would overflow out the top vent tube sometimes the front and sometimes the back neither one at the same time as the other. I would pull the needle and seat out clean it up good put it back in and then it wouldnt leak. It just seemed spuradic? Any ideas? Are my needle and seats bad? I have the fuel set at about 6-7 p.s.i. I have seen a few people with a hose between the front and back vent tubes why would that be? I should say the fuel only comes out when the pump is on.
Posted By: sg66mopar

Re: 1050 dominator overflowing - 01/21/11 09:20 PM

My guess would be debris getting past the filter so the needle can't fully close. I've had this happen a couple times after I worked on the fuel lines. 400 GPM pumps =
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: 1050 dominator overflowing - 01/21/11 09:23 PM

Quote:

400 GPM pumps =

holy chet!! that's 24,000 gallons/ hour!!
Posted By: sg66mopar

Re: 1050 dominator overflowing - 01/21/11 10:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

400 GPM pumps =

holy chet!! that's 24,000 gallons/ hour!!

Little boo-boo there maybe?

My irrigation pump doesn't even do that.

Re: 1050 dominator overflowing - 01/21/11 10:25 PM

Does anyone know why you would put a hose from the front to the rear vent? my vent tubes are about 1" from the bottom of the hood scoop.
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: 1050 dominator overflowing - 01/21/11 10:28 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know why you would put a hose from the front to the rear vent? my vent tubes are about 1" from the bottom of the hood scoop.

To keep fuel from sloshing out the vents and down the carb
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: 1050 dominator overflowing - 01/21/11 10:34 PM

check your float level and your floats

Re: 1050 dominator overflowing - 01/21/11 10:39 PM

Been through the floats and neadle and seats a handfull of times now.
Posted By: dc426

Re: 1050 dominator overflowing - 01/21/11 11:28 PM

I had a problem like this one time on the rear bowl. Turns out I didn't have a "notched" float and every time I installed it the float would get pinched between the bowl and the jets with extensions.
DC
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: 1050 dominator overflowing - 01/22/11 01:18 AM

Quote:

Been through the floats and neadle and seats a handfull of times now.

If you messed with them that many times its time for
a new set of needle and seats and check your gauge
for accuracy
Posted By: cjs69mope

Re: 1050 dominator overflowing - 01/22/11 02:49 AM

Some saY to put a hose between the vent tubes with a notch cut out of the hose keeps the fuel from getting airated when running aram air hood and no air cleaner , i beleive they found this is because the more the fuel bubbles in the bowls the more the car would run lean on the big end of the track .

Re: 1050 dominator overflowing - 01/22/11 03:16 AM

Quote:

Some saY to put a hose between the vent tubes with a notch cut out of the hose keeps the fuel from getting airated when running aram air hood and no air cleaner , i beleive they found this is because the more the fuel bubbles in the bowls the more the car would run lean on the big end of the track .

the reason they put a hose on there is to prevent fuel from sloshing when the car launches.
Posted By: moderncylinder

Re: 1050 dominator overflowing - 01/22/11 03:26 AM

what size hole is in the seat? meaning is it a .110? .120? etc???

maybe you have too much pressure with too large of a needle

how much power do you make and how fast is the car?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: 1050 dominator overflowing - 01/22/11 03:31 AM

Quote:

As said already, the hose creates a taller stand pipe
so the fuel has to go that much higher to fall into
the carb... as for the bubbles... thats fuel hitting
the hot bowl... has nothing to do with the incoming
air flow
Posted By: 602heavy

Re: 1050 dominator overflowing - 01/22/11 04:15 AM

Always thought it was a lifting handle.

The tube across the two vents are fitted when running with no air cleaner , without the tube fuel will be syphoned out vent tube when making a run , the same princible as to how a booster/venturi operates , just remember to cut some holes in the tube.

As said , also eliminates fuel spillage on heavy launch.

Regards you're fuel spitting out of vent tube........i would put money on airated fuel supply , been there done it.

Posted By: tubtar

Re: 1050 dominator overflowing - 01/23/11 12:58 AM

Quote:

Always thought it was a lifting handle.

The tube across the two vents are fitted when running with no air cleaner , without the tube fuel will be syphoned out vent tube when making a run , the same princible as to how a booster/venturi operates , just remember to cut some holes in the tube.

As said , also eliminates fuel spillage on heavy launch.

Regards you're fuel spitting out of vent tube........i would put money on airated fuel supply , been there done it.

This is what I learned .......... it would siphon out at speed.
I don't know if I was ever that fast where it would be a problem , but the " monkey see - monkey " do thing is sometimes too powerful to ignore.
It does make sense on paper.
Posted By: SCDaytona

Re: 1050 dominator overflowing - 01/23/11 04:44 PM

I run the vent tubes on mine to keep the fuel from splashing on launch. I tested my car on my road and with no hood and dual dominators, it would splash fuel on a launch. This vent hose cured that problem.

Re: 1050 dominator overflowing - 01/23/11 04:58 PM

Quote:

I run the vent tubes on mine to keep the fuel from splashing on launch. I tested my car on my road and with no hood and dual dominators, it would splash fuel on a launch. This vent hose cured that problem.

usually if that happens the fuel level is to high. but yes thats what they are used for. if it's squirting out the top there is something wrong with floats, fuel level, pressure.
Posted By: 67dodgeracer

Re: 1050 dominator overflowing - 01/23/11 05:10 PM

Quote:

I had a problem like this one time on the rear bowl. Turns out I didn't have a "notched" float and every time I installed it the float would get pinched between the bowl and the jets with extensions.
DC [/quote

This happened to me as well.I have notched floats but they were still hanging up on my long plastic jet extensions when I turned the pump on to fill the carb.Fixed it by turning the pump on and shutting it off quickly,doing this until the bowls are full.This has kept the float from sticking and sending fuel out the vent tubes.Try it and see if it works.
Posted By: 67dodgeracer

Re: 1050 dominator overflowing - 01/23/11 05:12 PM

I just read your post a little more and saw it comes out the front also.Guess that would eliminate my suggestion
© 2024 Moparts Forums