Moparts

How well do caltracks drive on street. Special shocks?

Posted By: cjs69mope

How well do caltracks drive on street. Special shocks? - 01/18/11 03:32 PM

Hello Do people run their street /strip cars on the street with Cal tracks?
If so how do you set it up loose or the same as track?
What type of shocks do you run in the Front and Rear?
Are there any problems with running the car on the street like this or will it be OK ?
The car is a 69 Charger with 493 rb and hemi 4speed with 4:10 Locker
I have KYB shocks now and Hemi springs. want to upgrade for the track this season but car does see some weekend to show driving.
I might want to buy the mono leafs also.
The car only has a 10.5 wide drag radial on it.
Looking for people who have real world experience to chime in on this before I plunk down about 900 bills on this . Thank You every body for your help! Moparts has the best people in USA !
Posted By: theclutcher

Re: How well do caltracks drive on street. Special shocks? - 01/18/11 03:35 PM

No problems here.
I run them with some clearance on street with
1/2" 1 pc mono's.
Would never consider a SS spring and snubber again.
Posted By: copchaser

Re: How well do caltracks drive on street. Special shocks? - 01/18/11 03:43 PM

Mine work great, great ride. I have mine set real tight, the car is a little bouncy for a couple blocks then smooths out and rides like a Imperial.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: How well do caltracks drive on street. Special shocks? - 01/18/11 03:48 PM

I drive mine on the street the same way I race it. Rides OK to me. A little stiff, but no worse than SS springs.

Attached picture 6425007-wheeliepic.jpg
Posted By: cjs69mope

Re: How well do caltracks drive on street. Special shocks? - 01/18/11 03:52 PM

Quote:

I drive mine on the street the same way I race it. Rides OK to me. A little stiff, but no worse than SS springs.

What Shocks are you using on the street?
Posted By: Blues_Cuda

Re: How well do caltracks drive on street. Special shocks? - 01/18/11 04:00 PM

We have run Cal-Tracs and Rancho 5-way adjustable shocks on our NSS/C '64 Savoy for several years with no ill effects on the street. Rides just fine using the same settings on the track. 1.50 60ft on a 9" slick.

I installed a pair of Cal-Trac monoleafs, bars, and Rancho 9-ways on my wife's 70 Barracuda street car last year. It rides like a log wagon. Upon further inspection, I have come to realize the shocks are too long. It only has about 1 1/2" of travel before they bottom out. My oversight 100%. Apparently I picked up a pair of Ranchos intended for an 1" over stock ride height application and ended up purchasing stock ride height monoleafs. (Bought the shocks before the rest of the Calvert set-up.) I intend to swap out the shocks in the next couple months and will see how it responds. John Calvert offered to trade my current shocks for the shorter ones...even though I did not purchase the initial set from him. He's always treated us right. Travis too.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: How well do caltracks drive on street. Special shocks? - 01/18/11 04:01 PM

Rears are Rancho RS9000...the ones Calvert recommends for their setup.
Fronts are Lakewood 90/10 that I have somewhat modified.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: How well do caltracks drive on street. Special shocks? - 01/18/11 06:37 PM

Quote:

Hello Do people run their street /strip cars on the street with Cal tracks?
If so how do you set it up loose or the same as track?
What type of shocks do you run in the Front and Rear?
Are there any problems with running the car on the street like this or will it be OK ?
The car is a 69 Charger with 493 rb and hemi 4speed with 4:10 Locker
I have KYB shocks now and Hemi springs. want to upgrade for the track this season but car does see some weekend to show driving.
I might want to buy the mono leafs also.
The car only has a 10.5 wide drag radial on it.
Looking for people who have real world experience to chime in on this before I plunk down about 900 bills on this . Thank You every body for your help! Moparts has the best people in USA !

Just finished putting a set ( and monoleafs ) on a late B body. Ride all depends on the pre-load. The more the preload, the stiffer the ride. Per Calvert, they want you to start with about 1/4 turn of preload. At that setting my ride was - stiff. Zero pre-load or some clearance and the ride is noticeably improved. What I am saying is whats good for the track will most likely effect ride on the street.
Posted By: Mick70RR

Re: How well do caltracks drive on street. Special shocks? - 01/18/11 07:49 PM

I back the Caltracs right off for the street. If I leave them preloaded it stops the suspension working as it should, if I just back them off a little they bang against the springs all the time. I have QA1 single adjustable shocks all round and Calvert mono leafs. I should point out that I drive the car a lot on the street.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: How well do caltracks drive on street. Special shocks? - 01/18/11 07:57 PM

I drive around with preload in the bars, as stated it basically stops the rear suspension from being able to work as it should, but if you can stand the ride of a one ton truck you will be fine with the caltracs.

I also use the mono leafs, Rancho 9000's and the Calvert 90/10's up front.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: How well do caltracks drive on street. Special shocks? - 01/18/11 08:21 PM

Quote:

I drive around with preload in the bars, as stated it basically stops the rear suspension from being able to work as it should, but if you can stand the ride of a one ton truck you will be fine with the caltracs.

Same here. Rancho 9000s on the rear and CE 3 ways up front.
Posted By: Voluster

Re: How well do caltracks drive on street. Special shocks? - 01/19/11 01:04 AM

I drive mine the same way I race it
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: How well do caltracks drive on street. Special shocks? - 01/19/11 01:49 AM

I run mine a quarter turn loose. That's the way the car likes it at the track and it rides good like that. Any tighter and the ride gets rough.

Calvert used to give you a pair of their wrenches if you asked for them when you ordered their stuff. Don't expect much wrench, but if you need preload at the track and don't like the ride, they make it handy to make the change in settings.

I use a piece of masking tape near the nut that I number each flat on. That way, after I get the set-up that I like I can make changes and not get confused if I need to go back.

Be sure and get the 9 way shocks. You may not need all the adjustments, but it's better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them. My Cuda needs the stiffest setting at the track. But I run them softest on the street. The shock settings are the only change I make going from street to strip. And the car will consistently 60' in the low 1.5s.

You can get left over 9 way Ranchos from a guy on Ebag for around $75 each.
Posted By: one bad fish

Re: How well do caltracks drive on street. Special shocks? - 01/19/11 02:29 AM

mine feel good on the street i leave them the way i race them on the track
Posted By: B1KILLER

Re: How well do caltracks drive on street. Special shocks? - 01/19/11 02:33 AM

Just fine here, no compliants

Attached picture 6426115-5-18-086S036.jpg
Posted By: PUNK

Re: How well do caltracks drive on street. Special shocks? - 01/19/11 03:02 AM

My brother drives his car all over the place and he drives it with the preload on the springs and its fine. We just switched the shocks out in favor if double adjustable AFCOs in the rear. The front are the QA1 Stocker "R". Hopefully the shocks help us out. Best 60 foot so far has been a 1.401.

Attached picture 6426192-May102009BryanatAutoClubspeedway5-09020.JPG
Posted By: Dustin71

Re: How well do caltracks drive on street. Special shocks? - 01/19/11 03:03 AM

I also do a lot of street Driving with them on Race Set up...
Like the other guy's say,...a lil stiff but rides Good...
No complaint's ... Multi leaf's with Cal's and 3 way adjustables...
Posted By: BradH

Re: How well do caltracks drive on street. Special shocks? - 01/19/11 04:46 AM

Quote:

x2... It's not worth my time to change it since most of my driving is to and from the track anyway.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: How well do caltracks drive on street. Special shocks? - 01/19/11 05:14 AM

Quote:

I run mine a quarter turn loose. That's the way the car likes it at the track and it rides good like that. Any tighter and the ride gets rough.

Calvert used to give you a pair of their wrenches if you asked for them when you ordered their stuff. Don't expect much wrench, but if you need preload at the track and don't like the ride, they make it handy to make the change in settings.

I use a piece of masking tape near the nut that I number each flat on. That way, after I get the set-up that I like I can make changes and not get confused if I need to go back.

Be sure and get the 9 way shocks. You may not need all the adjustments, but it's better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them. My Cuda needs the stiffest setting at the track. But I run them softest on the street. The shock settings are the only change I make going from street to strip. And the car will consistently 60' in the low 1.5s.

You can get left over 9 way Ranchos from a guy on Ebag for around $75 each.

Found an old 1" combo wrench in my tool box and cut it in half for easy adjusting purposes.

Attached picture 6426478-caltracwrench.jpg
Posted By: codfish

Re: How well do caltracks drive on street. Special shocks? - 01/19/11 05:18 AM

Quote:

I also use the mono leafs, Rancho 9000's and the Calvert 90/10's up front.

X2

codfish
Posted By: az426hemi

Re: How well do caltracks drive on street. Special shocks? - 01/19/11 05:35 AM

I have them on my daily driver. Definitely stiff. I am using Mono leafs with regular Monroe shocks. The car is a work in progress.

Mike
Posted By: az426hemi

Re: How well do caltracks drive on street. Special shocks? - 01/19/11 05:37 AM

I have them on my daily driver. Definitely stiff. I am using regular Monroe shocks. The car is a work in progress.

Mike
Posted By: Quicksilver440

Re: How well do caltracks drive on street. Special shocks? - 01/19/11 11:15 AM

Quote:

I like that idea...I'm going to do that to mine
Posted By: MW Racecraft

Re: How well do caltracks drive on street. Special shocks? - 01/19/11 02:34 PM

Run with the same settings for race.
Rides great. Rancho 9/way on rear and
Calverts 90/10 on front.
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: How well do caltracks drive on street. Special shocks? - 01/19/11 05:50 PM

Cal tracs are great.....NO problem on the street
© 2024 Moparts Forums