Moparts

Getting to the track?

Posted By: silverfish

Getting to the track? - 01/07/11 05:20 PM

Hey guys I know this subject has probably been covered but here goes anyway....

How do you prefer to get to the track with your car while having some sort of sleeping quarters so that you can stay the night and have a cool place to sit down during the day. Here's the two options that I have narrowed it down to....

#1 Towing a 44'-48' gooseneck with living quarters with a diesel truck
#2 Towing a 28'-30' bumper pull enclosed trailer with a 26'-30' gas powered motorhome.

What are your experiences with either setup and what do you prefer? Pros and cons.
Posted By: dc426

Re: Getting to the track? - 01/07/11 05:33 PM

I haven't done either of your options. But if i could I'd probably go with the motor home.
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Getting to the track? - 01/07/11 05:33 PM

34' DP MH pulling a 28' enclosed trailer
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Getting to the track? - 01/07/11 05:44 PM

I went this direction

Attached picture 6402804-MVC-002F.JPG

Re: Getting to the track? - 01/07/11 05:47 PM

With this to haul it... this has a sleeper on it
for when I use to haul my 26' and would sleep in
the truck

Attached picture 6402811-DSC00072.JPG
Posted By: notchbackcuda

Re: Getting to the track? - 01/07/11 06:29 PM

We use a 28' Ford Class C pulling a 22' enclosed trailer. We then have the motorhome to use on vacation and other things. Hauls nicely even though the motorhome is a 460 gas. A diesel would be prefered but they are expensive and hard to find used (used is necessary for my budget).
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Getting to the track? - 01/07/11 07:04 PM

After towing a 50 L/Q trailer for a couple of years I would have to say next time I would probably go the Motorhome route....more room....towing the trailer is great for leaving the track, but if your well prepared you shouldn't have to

Rickster
Posted By: Phil Saran

Re: Getting to the track? - 01/07/11 07:33 PM

Both are good options, the LQ trailer allows you to have
the truck for running errands, going out to dinner, etc.

In my case I already had the diesel truck (F350 long bed)
and a 18 ft open car trailer so I added a 9'-10" cab over
camper. The only problem being that it is over 8' long
and that entails a HD hitch plus hitch extension that added
about $500 (used) to my expenses.

My next addition is going to be a storage box on the front
of the trailer since storage for a generator, small compressor,
floor jack, tools is very limited with the camper.
Posted By: dragram440

Re: Getting to the track? - 01/07/11 07:44 PM

This works pretty good. I did install a set of airbags in the truck since this picture. A 1 ton would work good.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Getting to the track? - 01/07/11 07:58 PM

My rig. Can't say for sure how it works,,only used it locally about 6 times this year, and no overnight stays yet. Hope to give it a work out next year. It does have roof air, bathroom, fridge, stove, furnace,etc. Should be good enough for me and whoever I can talk into going with me.

Attached picture 6403004-freddy'stoy.jpg
Posted By: sg66mopar

Re: Getting to the track? - 01/07/11 09:17 PM

No sponsors or high paying job so this is what we have. The Cuda's NOT mine.

Posted By: mistress

Re: Getting to the track? - 01/07/11 09:29 PM

Whatever you decide to get you might also want to consider what your combined gvwr is for truck and trailer, in indiana where i live total is 26,000 pound limit, over that and you need a cdl(regardless if you are hauling for your own stuff or commercial crap) check with your own state laws, (my 40 ft goose with dually cummins is almost 26,000) i'm just sayin.....
Posted By: MegaDart

Re: Getting to the track? - 01/07/11 09:40 PM

Motorhome with slideouts if there is more then 2 adults. Sold my 34'dp last year and I sure do miss it, but not the payment!lol
With money so tight recently hard to justify the cost considering I only attend 3-4 multi day races per year. Slummin' it in the trailer for now! I can handle one night of that, then it's hotel time.

Attached picture 6403134-DSCN1260.JPG
Posted By: Thor500

Re: Getting to the track? - 01/07/11 09:46 PM

I've done both and ended up with a 3/4ton Dodge deisel and a 28' enclosed trailer. I can stay at a REALY nice hotel with the money I save, between the up-keep and depreciation on the motorhome and towing a monster sized trailer and hoping there was a place to park it when got it there was a pain. When I'm at the track I can relax just fine in my trailer. As long as I have my golfcart and a shady place to sit I'm a happy camper.

Re: Getting to the track? - 01/07/11 09:50 PM

Thanks for the responses so far guys. I already have a 1 ton truck that would pull the trailer and I already have a 28' enclosed trailer that I could pull with a motorhome so I can realistically go either way. I'm just torn. I'm kinda leanin towards the motorhome idea that way I can always just take the truck instead if its just a short trip and only use the motorhome on long trips.

Can't afford a diesel pusher and really don't want a motorhome any longer than 30'. Will have to buy something used for sure to be able to afford it.
Posted By: sg66mopar

Re: Getting to the track? - 01/07/11 10:20 PM

I leave the camper on my truck even when I go 35 miles to PIR for a 6 hour Wednesday night race. It only makes about 3 MPG difference and I don't have to walk a 1/8 mile to the cans 20 times a night. I'm not 25 years old anymore.

Plus if it's hot out it's nice to go in the camper once in a while to cool of with the AC.
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Getting to the track? - 01/07/11 10:29 PM

Quote:

I leave the camper on my truck even when I go 35 miles to PIR for a 6 hour Wednesday night race. It only makes about 3 MPG difference and I don't have to walk a 1/8 mile to the cans 20 times a night. I'm not 25 years old anymore.

Plus if it's hot out it's nice to go in the camper once in a while to cool of with the AC.

My camper makes NO difference in MPG. I get 7 MPG towing, hauling, cruising,,,no matter what!!! I have found /cured a few problems to get it UP to 7!!!
Posted By: Chassisman

Re: Getting to the track? - 01/07/11 10:44 PM

F350 Powerstroke dually and 40ft with small LQ....wouldn't trade it for the world(well except now I need bigger...Junior...race car....and golf cart all wont fit.)My thing is....when that motorhome is parked....it costs you(tags...insurance...more than normal maint..weathering tires...etc).....your actually using your truck daily or simi-daily.....the trailers both cost about the same to park.
Posted By: muntz1

Re: Getting to the track? - 01/08/11 12:27 AM

I had a 30' 96 Itasca gas motorhome and pulled a 28' trailer, it was a white nuckle ride when a tractor trailer passsed. Maybe air bags would have helped. Had to pull the waste tanks to box the frame in - the extension to the chassis from the factory was attached with a small steel plate. I just bought a used 40' aluminum exiss trailer and plan on making my own LQ's - we'll see how that goes.
Posted By: MegaDart

Re: Getting to the track? - 01/08/11 12:34 AM

Quote:

Maybe air bags would have helped.

IMO, air bags are a must on almost ANY gas MH, and the heaviest weight dist. hitch you can get with sway control. I had some installed on a 36' gasser and it was a big improvement but still white knuckle at times. Like going over the Skyway on an extremely windy day!!
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Getting to the track? - 01/08/11 12:35 AM

This is one of those ..

What works for you, may not work for me questions..

But FOR ME

I have a 30 foot trailer, and it has a roof air/ heat and a shower , flush toilet

And I have a nice cot I use to sleep on and for the small amount of time I spend in the trailer at the track FOR ME, it is perfect

If you have a large group or kids , etc it will not just depends how spoiled yah are

Scott, you have been in my trailer

Re: Getting to the track? - 01/08/11 12:38 AM

I Like to go somewhere and overnight it ..

Maybe BBQ a burger and have a couple beers and ride around and visit folks

I just want a cool/clean place to use the restroom during the day and a cool place to sleep

Shower area is on the left

Posted By: muntz1

Re: Getting to the track? - 01/08/11 12:45 AM

Do you have a picture of the toilet/shower combo?

Getting ready to do something similar.

Thanks Dave

Re: Getting to the track? - 01/08/11 12:47 AM

If you can own a dedicated vehicle to pull the race trailer like a motorhome(diesel pusher)

Or a toter home , I hate having a vehicle only good for one thing like my dually but I do drive it around some ,clumsy thing

But, no way I would go any distance without it any more , just tows sooooo nice !

Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Getting to the track? - 01/08/11 02:43 AM

Quote:

After towing a 50 L/Q trailer for a couple of years I would have to say next time I would probably go the Motorhome route....more room....towing the trailer is great for leaving the track, but if your well prepared you shouldn't have to

Rickster

A trailer with LQ is a real bad idea, imo. I have raced with and traveled with 2 people who had LQ in the trailers. Neither was happy and moved on from them.

A toterhome with a goose trailer is more afordable than a full blown DP MH and a tag trailer.

Once I bought the toterhome and stayed at the track with my equipment, racing really became enjoyable.

My first trailer and tow rig. Burned 2 valves in this 250 dodge 360 on the way home from Darlington SC this year. 1992? It was not enough truck for this 26' trailer.

Then got a 93 3500 454 PU that I ran to 135K miles.
Then got a 99 3500 454 and ran 80K miles on it with a 40" goose.
Then got this 49' trailer and did pull it for a little while with the dually, but it was too much and bought the toterhome.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Getting to the track? - 01/08/11 03:11 AM

This is my set up. We like it alot. Always have a good time hanging out at the track after hours and bench racng with the rest of the guys.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Getting to the track? - 01/08/11 03:20 AM

Quote:

This is my set up. We like it alot. Always have a good time hanging out at the track after hours and bench racng with the rest of the guys.

There's some thing about being at the track after hours when the track is closed and it's quiet.
Yup the beers come out and a good time is had by all.
Posted By: Chassisman

Re: Getting to the track? - 01/08/11 03:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

There's some thing about being at the track after hours when the track is closed and it's quiet.
Yup the beers come out and a good time is had by all.

Ya...here's a "sample" of what staying at the track is like at the MARCH MEET.... 5 day PARTY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upj2v2V_iak&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkt3oLgK6Ds&feature=related

Here's a good cross section of it all....nothin like living at the track.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUh23YC9vXs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTRqKnYUUgU&feature=related

About half of these are from the spectators side....lol
This video gives you the true feeling !!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlOLXsBMZOE&feature=related

Re: Getting to the track? - 01/08/11 04:00 AM

Yeah I really enjoy staying at the track... my rig
works really good for me... I have multiple trailers
and need to haul my tractor back and forth at times
so my diesel dually works out great... plus I get
real good mileage
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Getting to the track? - 01/08/11 04:06 AM

Have a dually too for T&T and one day deals. just unloading the race bug

Re: Getting to the track? - 01/08/11 05:27 AM

Thanks for all the input. It has helped me a lot. U guys def have some nice setups!
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Getting to the track? - 01/08/11 07:08 AM

Having stayed in the Big Dad Inn Express I really liked his set up. I put carpet in my 24ft box and try to get to the track early enough to park near the facilities. Inflatable bed on the floor and a quiet gen to run the heat if needed. Bare basics, but works for me.
Posted By: 69CHARGERMD

Re: Getting to the track? - 01/08/11 01:03 PM

Quote:

Thanks for all the input. It has helped me a lot. U guys def have some nice setups!

Is this in anticipation of your trip to Louisville ?

Some nice rigs you guys have posted,,,,

Re: Getting to the track? - 01/08/11 04:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Is this in anticipation of your trip to Louisville ?

Some nice rigs you guys have posted,,,,

Not really. I have been wanting to do a setup like this for a couple years now. My kids are starting to get old enough that they wanna tag along, well my son anyway. He will be 4 next month. Its usually just me and my dad and we are fine with whatever. But if my kids start coming and my wife may go some as well as my mom. If they are going to go with us then we will need more space. It will definitely help on the trip to L-ville though for sure! And hopefully that will turn into an annual trip.
© 2024 Moparts Forums