Moparts

Best front disc. set up for street/strip car...

Posted By: BloFish

Best front disc. set up for street/strip car... - 12/20/10 06:37 PM

3,100lbs A-body. Wilwood, Aerospace, Strange. Any opinions, with real world experience?
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Best front disc. set up for street/strip car... - 12/20/10 07:38 PM

this same question has popped up like 4 times in the past few days

Re: Best front disc. set up for street/strip car... - 12/20/10 07:39 PM

also, you should let me decide what i want on my car anyway!

Re: Best front disc. set up for street/strip car... - 12/20/10 07:43 PM

Ooops, I will do a search
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Best front disc. set up for street/strip car... - 12/20/10 07:55 PM

The topic has come up as to race only brake systems. Although I'm not the OP, the street aspect interests me more. Who can and has got away with running "drag only" set ups on the street. Or if those should be axed in favor of the street/strip kits. Weight savings are greater with the drag kits, but can the rotors take the abuse of the streets? You figure if they can slow a car from 150+ and not turn to mush they should be able to handle a bit of street driving.

Ray,
Your car has wilwoods?

Re: Best front disc. set up for street/strip car... - 12/20/10 08:09 PM

yes, i have the street vented rotor in the front. the backs i got in a trade and they are just the thin rotor. i know alot of people complain about them but they work great for me.

one thing i noticed in the one members post with the strange brakes, it looks like a steel hat goes over the rotor. with the wilwoods, they say to not use steel wheels with their alumunum hubs. i have nice rallyes i would like to run every once in a while but afraid to put them on now with the wilwoods
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Best front disc. set up for street/strip car... - 12/20/10 08:53 PM

I used the Wilwood HD kit on the front of my Demon,soon I will use the car as a street/strip car and plan on keeping the brakes as is.The car stops great at the track,MUCH better than the 10" drums it had originally.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Best front disc. set up for street/strip car... - 12/20/10 09:02 PM

I received an E-mail from Ron Silva on the subject of race brakes on the street. He gave me the go ahead to post this in case anyone else was interested.

Quote:

I had Wilwood drag race Brakes all the way around on my Demon. The 3/8” solid rotor with 4 piston Calipers. The brakes would fade after about 3 or 4 consecutive hard stops from 60MPH. I then went to the cast iron vented front rotors and did not get any more braking ability. All it did was give better pad wear and quieter operation if anything.

In my opinion the biggest thing you have to worry about is capacity (3/8” solid rotor), obviously, and the fact that they are not weather sealed. They should not be used in the rain or hosed down when washing your car. I almost never washed my car with water and if I did I wrapped the wheels/tires to keep them dry. If I wanted to wash the wheels/tires I always took them off the car.

I also think the Wilwood stuff was junk and I would never buy it again unless I was on a severely tight budget. My rotors wobbled (steering wheel would shake when braking) and they sent me new rotors and the new ones were no better. I had to keep clocking the rotors and the adapter rings and measuring runout and it took FOREVER. I finally got it where it was acceptable but I will never go through that again. There is something like 25 possibilities to try to get the runout low enough, but it never got anywhere close to production tolerances. I think I started at .012 and got it as low as .006 runout. ....... .012 would shake the steering wheel pretty good and the car was no fun to drive.

I have Mark Williams on the Valiant and there Brakes are better in every way. They cost $$ But well worth it if you can save up for them. Yes, I had to ship them my Spindles but that was worth it too as I believe they magnafluxed them as well as minor machining.

Anyhow, wilwood or mark williams are perfectly fine for limited street driving. I have NEVER had them fade on the street or race track but I am aware of their limited capacity. After 4 or 5 stops they WILL give up. I have never had a situation on the street where I was FORCED to stop hard 4 or 5 times in a row.

Ron Silva.

Re: Best front disc. set up for street/strip car... - 12/20/10 09:27 PM

FWIW, i did brakes on a buick, rotors had .005 of runout.i called the guy and told him i was about to waste his money but he said change them. never did i think it was possible that they were causing the wheel to shake so bad when stopping but i changed them and it stopped. i have not experienced any of those problems with my wilwoods but everyone complains so maybe its just me
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Best front disc. set up for street/strip car... - 12/20/10 09:48 PM

I developed the Wilwood + 11.75 kit years ago just for street/strip cars. That way you can have the low cost and reliability of the factory rotor, but you save a bunch of weight by going with the aluminum caliper.

I'm not a big fan of using race kits on the street. The lightweight aluminum hubs aren't really designed to handle potholes and such. Of course, some folks do it and don't have problems so you just have to make a decision based on how much you drive the car and the conditions that you drive it in.

Re: Best front disc. set up for street/strip car... - 12/20/10 09:58 PM

Quote:

I developed the Wilwood + 11.75 kit years ago just for street/strip cars. That way you can have the low cost and reliability of the factory rotor, but you save a bunch of weight by going with the aluminum caliper.

I'm not a big fan of using race kits on the street. The lightweight aluminum hubs aren't really designed to handle potholes and such. Of course, some folks do it and don't have problems so you just have to make a decision based on how much you drive the car and the conditions that you drive it in.

you have a kit to fit wilwood calipers on a stock rotor? or a big rotor? who sells your kit?
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Best front disc. set up for street/strip car... - 12/20/10 10:01 PM

I have Strange race brakes on the front of my Dart, no problems after one summer. I'm not hard on brakes anyway, If I have to stop normally I start slowing down pretty early. My wife scares me to death, she'll drive right up to a stop sign and stand on the brakes.
Posted By: Lee446

Re: Best front disc. set up for street/strip car... - 12/21/10 12:17 AM

I went with Dr. Diff's 13" kit on the front of my 69 Sat. I had 17" wheels already. I am very satisfied with both price and performance. Give him a call.

Re: Best front disc. set up for street/strip car... - 12/21/10 01:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

you have a kit to fit wilwood calipers on a stock rotor? or a big rotor? who sells your kit?

Yes, I've had a kit that hangs a Wilwood caliper on a stock rotor for years. Mancini Racing sells it as do lots of other places.

Attached picture 6368915-AR000.jpg
Posted By: W5Duster436

Re: Best front disc. set up for street/strip car... - 12/21/10 01:46 AM

Quote:

Yes, I've had a kit that hangs a Wilwood caliper on a stock rotor for years. Mancini Racing sells it as do lots of other places.

This is for b/e though right? Nothing to work with the factory 70/71 A-body discs?

I am actually thinking of just having my originals redrilled at this point. Wilwood kits seem to be on an indefinite backorder.

Re: Best front disc. set up for street/strip car... - 12/21/10 02:15 AM

Thanks for the reply's, lot's of real good info:

Re: Best front disc. set up for street/strip car... - 12/21/10 02:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

thats cool. Thanks Andy
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Best front disc. set up for street/strip car... - 12/21/10 03:30 AM

Been running the Wilwoods for many years street/strip and am still on the original pads. They are light even though I have the street(vented)rotors and they stop fine for me.

Re: Best front disc. set up for street/strip car... - 12/21/10 03:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

This is for b/e though right? Nothing to work with the factory 70/71 A-body discs?

I am actually thinking of just having my originals redrilled at this point. Wilwood kits seem to be on an indefinite backorder.

My kit works with any car that has the 11.75 rotors. A-body, B-body, E-body, FMJ, etc. Those rotors can be fitted to most anything once the correct knuckle is installed.
Posted By: topbrent

Re: Best front disc. set up for street/strip car... - 12/21/10 04:19 AM

Quote:

AndyF: Yes, I've had a kit that hangs a Wilwood caliper on a stock rotor for years. Mancini Racing sells it as do lots of other places.

My kit works with any car that has the 11.75 rotors. A-body, B-body, E-body, FMJ, etc. Those rotors can be fitted to most anything once the correct knuckle is installed.

Nice looking stuff Andy.

http://www.arengineering.com/caliper/wilwood/caliperframe.html

AndyF Wilwood Caliper - Mopar Action

Posted By: 572charger

Re: Best front disc. set up for street/strip car... - 12/21/10 12:28 PM

been using wilwoods front [vented rotors] street duty stuff on my 3910 lb car since 2003 with absolutely no problems what so ever !!! i've installed them on many cars also without a hitch in 2007 i installed the pro street w/ park brake on the rear with a wilwood master cylinder! we have a short shut down at our home track and i have no problems stopping at 154mph then drive it home stopping at stop signs and red lights, 2nd best investment on my car!!!! [1st was the hemi ]
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Best front disc. set up for street/strip car... - 12/21/10 04:49 PM

I have used Andy's kit a couple of times. No issues at all. In fact the one on the belvedere has ben there for 10 years and thousands of street miles and a few hundred passes with ZERO issues. Great product and a good compromise for a street strip car.

Re: Best front disc. set up for street/strip car... - 12/22/10 03:33 AM

Al, you must be one of the original buyers of that kit. I started to make the Wilwood adapter back in 1999 so it has been just a little over 10 years.

I recently designed a kit that uses radial mount Wilwood calipers. These calipers have weather seals on the pistons and the radial mounting is more rigid than the ear mounts. But the radial mount calipers are a lot more expensive than the older ear mounts so this new kit hasn't been very popular. It is what I'd use on my car if I was going this way, but the price point seems to keep people from buying it.

Attached picture 6371037-AR291.jpg
Posted By: Get-X

Re: Best front disc. set up for street/strip car... - 12/22/10 03:38 AM

Quote:

Al, you must be one of the original buyers of that kit. I started to make the Wilwood adapter back in 1999 so it has been just a little over 10 years.

I recently designed a kit that uses the radial mount Wilwood calipers. These calipers have weather seals on the pistons. The radial mounting is also more rigid than the ear mounts. But the radial mount calipers are a lot more expensive than the older ear mounts so this new kit hasn't been that popular.

Where does one get the rotors for this? I have a WW kit with a solid rotor that I may steal the Dynalite calipers from and put them on the GTX. It has factory KH discs but I wouldn't mind saving a few pounds.
Posted By: SV_MOPARS

Re: Best front disc. set up for street/strip car... - 12/22/10 04:58 PM

this might be stupid question, can a 70 e-body stock style disc master and brake booster be used with the wilwood calipers? i have a set of brand new 11.75 rotors already, i would only need to get the correct spindles and caliper brackets,right?
Posted By: ahy

Re: Best front disc. set up for street/strip car... - 12/22/10 07:53 PM

The master should work fine... with an adjustable prop valve for the rears to set F/R balance. Add bearings, seals and dust caps to your shopping list and I think you have it.
Posted By: topbrent

Re: Best front disc. set up for street/strip car... - 12/23/10 03:07 AM

Quote:

AndyF:

I recently designed a kit that uses radial mount Wilwood calipers. These calipers have weather seals on the pistons and the radial mounting is more rigid than the ear mounts. But the radial mount calipers are a lot more expensive than the older ear mounts so this new kit hasn't been very popular. It is what I'd use on my car if I was going this way, but the price point seems to keep people from buying it.

http://www.arengineering.com/caliper/wilwood2/wilwood2.html

Andy, I am curious as to why you recommend the radial mount kit for this street/strip application when you note on your website that the radial mount kit is not recommended for street use?

Re: Best front disc. set up for street/strip car... - 12/23/10 03:35 AM

That is a different kit. The new radial mount calipers have weather seals.
Posted By: Ray440

Re: Best front disc. set up for street/strip car... - 12/23/10 06:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I recently designed a kit that uses the radial mount Wilwood calipers. These calipers have weather seals on the pistons. The radial mounting is also more rigid than the ear mounts. But the radial mount calipers are a lot more expensive than the older ear mounts so this new kit hasn't been that popular.

Where does one get the rotors for this? I have a WW kit with a solid rotor that I may steal the Dynalite calipers from and put them on the GTX. It has factory KH discs but I wouldn't mind saving a few pounds.

The factory 11.75 inch rotors were used on 76-78 B-body and 79-up R bodies. Raybestos part # 7038R, NAPA part#NB 4885579. I believe Wagner and Bendix also have them but not sure on those part numbers.
Posted By: moparniac

Re: Best front disc. set up for street/strip car... - 12/24/10 09:15 PM

good thread!
Posted By: Get-X

Re: Best front disc. set up for street/strip car... - 12/24/10 09:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The factory 11.75 inch rotors were used on 76-78 B-body and 79-up R bodies. Raybestos part # 7038R, NAPA part#NB 4885579. I believe Wagner and Bendix also have them but not sure on those part numbers.

Thank you for the info, much appreciated
Posted By: 440forPOWER

Re: Best front disc. set up for street/strip car... - 12/24/10 10:01 PM

Anyone using the Baer Claw system year one sells?

Re: Best front disc. set up for street/strip car... - 12/25/10 02:19 AM

Quote:

Anyone using the Baer Claw system year one sells?

I've used Baer systems on track cars. They make the best setups for that type of applications. Their street setups are pretty good also, but the rotor size is fairly small.
All depends what you're trying to do with the car.

Attached picture 6376434-baer.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums