Moparts

How busy is your pit area?????????

Posted By: WILD BILL

How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/19/10 03:20 PM

A winter topic I dont recall seeing before

During your down time between rounds, how much down time do you usually get. Assuming a normal race day that is.

DO you get to sit back and relax waiting for the next round or consatnatly trying to find that last, elusive .001

Or perhaps just normal between round matainence.

Just wondering how you guys spend your time between calls.

Posted By: Deepockets

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/19/10 03:30 PM

pretty easy, let the fans and water pump run, check air in tires and fuel every three rounds. the worst for me is i think too much between rounds and make my own stress within.

Attached picture 6366055-psca003.jpg
Posted By: Eric

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/19/10 03:38 PM

After a run I put the charger on...record my weather data...and relax....before I head back down I set the tire pressure,check the weather and fuel if needed. Pretty boring stuff..
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/19/10 03:47 PM

when you drive someone else car
yuo thinking of everything hopeing for the best
,thinking of the worse,,
STRESS OOOOOHHH MY
then start to remember what it would be like
to win with someone elses car
then you go and check everything on the car
AGAIN for the 10th time hahah
tires, temp, air, leaks if any,
charge battery , check fuel ,
try to listen for lane call,
cant hear it ,, so the buddies that are in 2 classes are gone ,, so you think well
must have missed the call ,,so you head up,,
only to find ,, not youre call yet,,go back to the pit,,, do it all over again ,, stupid stupid
Posted By: blown572dart

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/19/10 03:56 PM

Well as you know first time we made it was a couple of weeks ago.

I think we were none stop and there was no pressure at the time. Here is a little vid of how busy we were

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYlFw7R9NPs
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/19/10 03:58 PM

30 sec wow you said it when you said not really busy
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/19/10 03:59 PM

During a TnT I do all sorts of stuff between runs
but at a race its just the normal stuff... fuel
every third round, check the tires before I head to
the lanes just to make sure they are high enough so
I can set them to the final pressure in the lanes,
check the weather, set the dial in, check water temps...
just your normal stuff... I try to sit in the trailer
(in the AC as much as possible... or doing some cooking)
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/19/10 04:06 PM

Yeah, but out of those 40,000 people that were running around your pits.....I only saw two people actually working !...

What was that, some sort of State DOT job or something. You need to give some of those guys shovels to lean on instead of your tent.

As you know, it WILL get busier as you go along with that car. Things will get very hectic when you start the racing. ( and you;ll want LESS people around...lol)

What you need is some of Hemifreds Philly " entertainers" to come assist in the pits during the downtime. Maybe sell some posters...

Have a great Xmas...good luck on the next outing.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/19/10 04:20 PM

Quote:

I think we were none stop and there was no pressure at the time. Here is a little vid of how busy we were

Mikey sure has that front tire holding posistion down pat
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/19/10 06:23 PM

still havent got my car to the track but i help a friend out as a pit crew on his low 11sec nova and since it was put togheter by someone else that honestly never should even try to build a car,no i change that to shouldnt even change his own sparkplugs, relaxing time in the pits is absolutely zero since we have to check the whole car over betwen rounds,making sure its not falling to pieces,its scary when you cant thrust the guy who put the chassies togheter...
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/19/10 06:27 PM

Input my timeslip data into my ET predictor. Fill it with fuel when needed. Hook up the battery charger. Cool down the car. Check the tires before we leave. Check the weather station an ET predictor before I leave the pit stall. Does not take long to do this stuff so there is plenty of time to do nothing....
Posted By: Get-X

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/19/10 06:47 PM

Quote:

The only things missing from that video are a Benny Hill song playing and some strippers
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/19/10 06:58 PM

Unload car,fill out tech card, take to tech on the quad, ( I have ETI, no need for car tech every week) warm up car, check air pressure, unlock buddies trailer and open for him, make first time shot, decide if stop needs setting, change if needed, put dial on window for 2nd time shot bogey race. sit , relax, and B.S, with buddies until 1st round. I don`t do much between rounds just add fuel if needed. My car is pretty consistent every run after more than 25 years racing the same car I finally figured out not to mess with it while racing on a points day and just concentrate on driving. Any testing I do is on a Test and Ruin ( Tune) Day. One of my big mistakes is changing my throttle stop before the bogey race and during eliminations to try and run close to 11.50, I`ve done my best when I just left it alone all day. If it runs 11.60s so be it I just dial accordingly.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/19/10 08:29 PM

Alot, 6 guys help me.
Posted By: moparguy7074

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/19/10 08:37 PM

Ok, I have a question for all the bracket racers that are trying to be super-consistent. Why don't you add fuel after every run? I know it may be only a gal. or two, but doesn't every pound and hundredth count? Just my ignorant .
Posted By: ProStDodge

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/19/10 08:53 PM

I check the torque on all four wheels every time, check the air, connect the battery charger, top off the fuel - keeping about the same level for each pass (keeps the car weight the same), record/analyze the time slip.

I occasionally get some help from friends, but I tend to like to do everything my self, that way there is no one to blame if anything gets forgotten. Here is a pic of how hard I work my crew.

Attached picture 6366644-100_0185a.JPG
Posted By: BradH

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/19/10 08:54 PM

Race day - not that hectic. If the car's first pass(es) look "right" given the conditions, I don't mess with it. All I do is make sure the tire pressures are where I want 'em and check the weather conditions to see if I need to adjust the dial-in due to any changes. Pretty boring, really. On race days it's the waiting that kills me.

Test & tune day - If there's a crowd and I have a lot of things to test before leaving that day, it's pretty hectic. I try to plan all the tests ahead of time to know exactly what to change between rounds. As long as something unexpected doesn't happen, it's usually get in a baseline pass or two (depending upon how much the conditions that day vary from the last track day), then start w/ the changes.
Posted By: Womanator

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/19/10 08:57 PM

We were even busy at the staging lanes adding weight
to the clutch when the track started to hold more traction.

It's always busy in the pits

Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/19/10 09:14 PM

Don't do much between rounds, unless my car is slinging belts. Then I leave it to my crew chief/head mechanic (husband) to fix it while I go talk to Plastic Fantastic's dad.
Posted By: ChrisJohnston669

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/19/10 09:19 PM

Quote:

Ok, I have a question for all the bracket racers that are trying to be super-consistent. Why don't you add fuel after every run? I know it may be only a gal. or two, but doesn't every pound and hundredth count? Just my ignorant .

I go every 3 runs as well. I'm always holding and I take into account the amount of fuel every round. In my cuda I had a small fuel cell so I topped off every round. In the last 2 cars I've had big fuel cells and I run two classes at one time or I double enter a lot so its just easier.
Posted By: mafo

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/19/10 10:51 PM

lash, spring pressure, data, chute, coffee, gas, maybe 4-link and shocks, jets, co2 bottle, did I forget something?, another cup of coffee, usually we have the trans out once a weekend and maybe a converter swap, this is off course when things go as planned...
Posted By: 340B5

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/19/10 11:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The only things missing from that video are a Benny Hill song playing and some strippers

LMAO That is funny! Watch the vid then read this. I just had a flashback.

Seriously, first couple rounds is easygoing, semi-final gets a little busy, final round...I wouldn't know about that
Posted By: bonefish

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/19/10 11:45 PM

not too busy.one or two time trials,1st round duck,loader up.
Posted By: THE GLASS MAN

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/20/10 01:12 AM

2 guys working on the hemi car, one guy taking care of the max wedge car, and me selling the hail out of all the mopar fiberglass parts.
Posted By: plasticfantastic

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/20/10 01:32 AM

Quote:

During a TnT I do all sorts of stuff between runs
but at a race its just the normal stuff... fuel
every third round, check the tires before I head to
the lanes just to make sure they are high enough so
I can set them to the final pressure in the lanes,
check the weather, set the dial in, check water temps...
just your normal stuff... I try to sit in the trailer
(in the AC as much as possible... or doing some cooking)

not that its what I seek out to do, but I normally watch Mike do all that stuff he just mentioned. If he tells me to do something, I do it.
Posted By: dvw

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/20/10 01:41 AM

I try to talk to every person at the track. Ask anybody in my pit and they never know where I am. Unless the car screws up. I've been known to R&R a pushbutton Torqueflite and overhaul between rounds. A couple years ago at the Classic my son and I changed a small block head gasket between rounds. What ever it takes to have good time.
Doug
Posted By: plasticfantastic

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/20/10 02:46 AM

Quote:

Don't do much between rounds, unless my car is slinging belts. Then I leave it to my crew chief/head mechanic (husband) to fix it while I go talk to Plastic Fantastic's dad.

its the highlight of his race day...
Posted By: kissmyaspen

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/20/10 02:52 AM

play cornhole go bs with people go stand on the starting line. a lot of you have pictures with me in the background from trails. i hate working on my stuff between rounds but ill helpo out with anyone else if they have a problem...
Posted By: rebel

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/20/10 03:09 AM

after refuelling the car, we make sure driver & crew are rehydrated.

Attached picture 6367353-1430-beer-lovers.jpg
Posted By: ProSport

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/20/10 03:12 AM

Quote:

I'm exhausted just from watching that
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/20/10 03:15 AM

I do just about nothing between rounds. If its hot out I open the hood. I never add fuel and I'll add air front and rear if necessary right when they call us up for the next round.
Posted By: DavidDean

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/20/10 03:56 AM

I usually go by myself. At the SCSN vegas I ran 2 classes.One was pro tree no box where I deep staged the other was an electronics bracket class w/ box.
During some time trials this was a between rounds procedure
Refuel after every run I run Methanol
Refill 5 gal fuel jugs
Changed Jets
Adjusted the 4 link
Cool or service engine or transmission
remove or install the delay box
Write or remove deep for staging
review data logger
enter runs in log book
set tire pressure
review delay box setting or stall rpm
review haw shallow or deep from previous run
Review weather from last run
Cuss breathe drink water maybe eat a snack
There were a few passes where I was about to go nuts But I sure had a GREAT TIME!

Attached picture 6367433-DRCJamesDean.jpg
Posted By: topside

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/20/10 03:56 AM

It's just me & my car, and these days it's all T&T , so the routine is basically:
Check timeslip
Yank hood, look stuff over
Sparkplug/jetting activity will depend on how they looked after the shut-off area
Run fan & water pump until 120*
Whatever change needs to be made
Add fuel every 2 passes (1gal/pass)
Talk to people that come by
Water or something light to munch
Check tires & cover them
If there's time and someone needs a hand, I help 'em.
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/20/10 04:00 AM

Some times if there is a large car count or several classes, I'll enter two classes just to stay busy. If I'm not busy, I tend to get bored. When I get bored, sometimes I get complacent and when that happens, there's no telling what I might do (or not do). Nothing good ever comes from that.
And I fill the fuel tank after every pass, until I get to the semi finals, then all my focus goes into getting the driver mentally prepared.
Brian Dunnigan
Posted By: dartman366

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/20/10 04:52 AM

I need a smiley kicked back in a lounge chair,,I air the tires and put in a splash of fuel just after they call my class, then head to the lane's.
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/20/10 05:18 AM

Quote:

Input my timeslip data into my ET predictor. Fill it with fuel when needed. Hook up the battery charger. Cool down the car. Check the tires before we leave. Check the weather station an ET predictor before I leave the pit stall. Does not take long to do this stuff so there is plenty of time to do nothing....

That all depends if you're going rounds.. It gets a lot more hectic deep into the rounds...

Chris..
Posted By: 408strokerdart

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/20/10 05:44 AM

I get it from my dad.....only the necessities are done at the track for between round maintainence. The biggest share of time is spent enjoying friends and family and the "community" that our sport offers.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/20/10 05:50 AM

I keep in he back of my mind , disconnect the battery charger, I have never took off without doing it but have seen it multiple times. Funny and not so funny.
Posted By: Chassisman

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/20/10 05:53 PM

I race....my wife races....and our boy has the junior that runs at the same events.....do I REALLY need to explain anymore?
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/20/10 10:55 PM

Quote:

I race....my wife races....and our boy has the junior that runs at the same events.....do I REALLY need to explain anymore?

Not to me

Posted By: roadhazard

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/21/10 12:12 AM

As a rule I show up at the track prepared and generally don't touch the car except for a plug check (jet change if necessary), wheels already torqued so just air pressure check and a general visual once over after the first TT.

Try to get as many TT's in as possible and wait for class call With fuel toped off and plenty of air in the tires and adjust in the lanes.

If anybody needs help I'm available after first round
Posted By: Dartthunder340

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/21/10 01:40 AM

Quote:

This would be hilarious with the Refreshments playing the King Of The Hill theme song. Not much going on in my pits. Charger to battery, top off fuel, go over timeslip, stress a little because I don't have much racing experience, and just try to soak as much info as possible. With any luck I'll be starting the build on my new motor this year and back at it after a long absence. Just try to be genuine about thanking Him because I feel blessed just to be able to do this.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/21/10 02:00 AM

The local track starts round-robin after 3rd round, and a typical race is 7 rounds (6 on a bad day, 8 on a good day).

I don't normally lose 1st round, so when they are running the separate reenty round, I get to eat dinner.

So that leaves 2nd round and that might give 45 minutes before 3rd while they run electronics and jr dragsters. Then round robin.
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/21/10 02:56 AM

Quote:

The local track starts round-robin after 3rd round, and a typical race is 7 rounds (6 on a bad day, 8 on a good day).

I don't normally lose 1st round, so when they are running the separate reenty round, I get to eat dinner.

So that leaves 2nd round and that might give 45 minutes before 3rd while they run electronics and jr dragsters. Then round robin.

Posted By: Crizila

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/21/10 03:17 AM

My pit area looks like this

Attached picture 6369161-pitarea.jpg
Posted By: Crizila

Re: How busy is your pit area????????? - 12/21/10 03:18 AM

because my pit crew is doin this

Attached picture 6369164-pitcrew.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums