Moparts

90-10 shocks on a street/strip car

Posted By: fourgearsavoy

90-10 shocks on a street/strip car - 12/19/10 03:49 AM

I got a deal on some 90/10 front shocks for my Savoy and was wondering how they drive on the street
Any real world stories of ill handling nightmares
Thanks
Gus

Attached picture 6365483-burnoutpicturegus.JPG
Posted By: Duner

Re: 90-10 shocks on a street/strip car - 12/19/10 03:58 AM

I wouldn't call it a nightmare, but mine will porpoise down the road like a car with 300K miles on the odometer with stock shocks. After putting up with it for a few months - I decided it wasn't that tough to swap shocks when I go to the track. It drives SO much better with "regular" shocks on it.
Posted By: codfish

Re: 90-10 shocks on a street/strip car - 12/19/10 04:07 AM

I agree, especially if the streets around your town are "so-so".

There's one dip in the local area that I normally slow down for, even with the "street" shocks on. Well this one time, just after the last 1/4 mile outing, I forgot to slow down a little at this particular bump. Still had the Caltrac shocks up front. Bad choice. I now have a small wad of JB weld covering a crack in the oil pan .

Live and learn I guess.

codfish
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: 90-10 shocks on a street/strip car - 12/19/10 04:11 AM

if one front tire hit a dip that shock extends and stays that way. i drove around and raced for years with drilled out shocks on the front. when i put calverts on, i really had to get use to it
Posted By: Sport440

Re: 90-10 shocks on a street/strip car - 12/19/10 04:13 AM

For me it felt like a hammering effect. Every bump hammered the front end like it almost had no suspension at all. If the shock was rated 100-0 it would be like a solid rod as far as stiffness goes. 90-10 doesnt feel that far off on the road.

Its doable as I did it, but its got to put a beating on bothy the shock and vehical. Your car being Heavier may have a less pronounced effect. IMO mike

Re: 90-10 shocks on a street/strip car - 12/19/10 04:18 AM

My shocks on the car now are worn out,they been on the car since I got it almost 20 years ago and they are very loose.
I got them cheap enough so if I don't like them they will go on the swap shelf.
Gus

Attached picture 6365549-burnoutpicturegus.JPG
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: 90-10 shocks on a street/strip car - 12/19/10 04:28 AM

Quote:

My shocks on the car now are worn out,they been on the car since I got it almost 20 years ago and they are very loose.
Gus

Why not get some nice adjustables and forget the
freebies... plus a nice set is better on the track
let alone the road
Posted By: Von

Re: 90-10 shocks on a street/strip car - 12/19/10 04:47 AM

Ive used CEs and Calverts on the street. Both drive and act just fine for me. I have no complaints and see no difference between a regular shock.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: 90-10 shocks on a street/strip car - 12/19/10 05:02 AM

Quote:

Ive used CEs and Calverts on the street. Both drive and act just fine for me. I have no complaints and see no difference between a regular shock.

I've heard good things on the Calverts... but myself
I wouldnt waste my money on the CE stuff... JMO
but a good set of adjustables is even better on both
the track and road
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: 90-10 shocks on a street/strip car - 12/19/10 05:20 AM

I drive my car to and from work into the heart of Seattle multiple times per week, to the track, in the rain etc etc. A few thousand miles per year, all on 90/10's and drag radials.
Posted By: 383man

Re: 90-10 shocks on a street/strip car - 12/19/10 05:49 AM

I put 90/10's on my 63 this year and it feels no different when driving to me. Ron
Posted By: kzinge1

Re: 90-10 shocks on a street/strip car - 12/19/10 06:10 AM

I have the CE 90-10's on mine...feels just fine to me.
Posted By: BradH

Re: 90-10 shocks on a street/strip car - 12/19/10 06:24 AM

The only answer I can think of is to drive it and see what it feels like to you. I'm used to a really loose front end when driving my Challenger, but there have been a couple of times when going into a turn has inspired a 'cuz of how it didn't want to settle down once committed to the corner.
Posted By: Labratt

Re: 90-10 shocks on a street/strip car - 12/19/10 06:44 AM

Gus...I have no problems whatsoever with the Calvert 90/10's on the street! And our roads are a LOT worse than in Ohio! What name brand shocks are they??? I LOVE the Calvert's!
Posted By: Duner

Re: 90-10 shocks on a street/strip car - 12/19/10 07:07 AM

It's sounding like I just need some Calverts myself.
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: 90-10 shocks on a street/strip car - 12/19/10 09:22 AM

Quote:

Gus...I have no problems whatsoever with the Calvert 90/10's on the street! And our roads are a LOT worse than in Ohio! What name brand shocks are they??? I LOVE the Calvert's! [/quOTE]

Me too. Put them on and drive it. I took off my Edelbrock shocks, and went to the Calverts. I don't notice anything. LOL but what do I know? It's a ten second streetcar. I'm in the same boat as you.
Posted By: 493_DART

Re: 90-10 shocks on a street/strip car - 12/19/10 09:52 AM

i dont understand the 90/10 concerns in general.

These are on 60's/70's ancient , heavy muscle cars.

You want a great ride on rough streets = get a 2009 whatever.

I drive my dart around on occasion with open headers , a perpetually dragging trans blanket , slicks , skinny fronts , etc.... its a Freakin blast . thats what its about to me.

On a side note-- the Calvert front shocks extend WAYYYYYY easier than any 90/10 shock ive ever had.
Before i put mine on I set them on the bench and pulled each apart by hand - summit vs Calvert. No comparison.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: 90-10 shocks on a street/strip car - 12/19/10 11:02 AM

Quote:

I got a deal on some 90/10 front shocks for my Savoy and was wondering how they drive on the street
Any real world stories of ill handling nightmares
Thanks
Gus

Been doing it for years w/several different models and I now run Calverts and they`re fine although I drive fairly mellow........
Posted By: therocks

Re: 90-10 shocks on a street/strip car - 12/19/10 12:06 PM

We have them on the 65 and te kids 62.The ride isnt like an Imp but its not bad.My kid has probally 15K on his.I have about 3 K on mine.Rocky

Re: 90-10 shocks on a street/strip car - 12/19/10 02:12 PM

Don't get me wrong, the ride is fine, but it's the condition of the streets around here that made me switch back to the "street" shocks for street duty.

The 20 minutes that it takes to switch the shocks isn't a big deal as I only get to race 2 or 3 times a year anyhow

codfish
Posted By: 440challenger

Re: 90-10 shocks on a street/strip car - 12/19/10 02:18 PM

I had 90/10s on the front of my challenger for about 6 years. Last summer i swaped them out for some parts store cheapie monroes. The car rides like a caddy now ,less noise etc. With the 90/10 CE it felt like there was no suspension at all!

Re: 90-10 shocks on a street/strip car - 12/19/10 03:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Gus

Why not get some nice adjustables and forget the
freebies... plus a nice set is better on the track
let alone the road

Mr.P I will probably go the adjustable route when work picks up in the summer but right now 300-400 for an inexpensive set seems too much right now.
Mancini has the Lakewoods on sale now for $14.95 each so I know the shocks on the front now are too loose.It come up fast but then when braking it dives and feels unstable at high speed.
I just figured what the heck $30.00 for a pair of new shocks that might be better than what I have now it's a cheap gamble
Gus

Attached picture 6366067-burnoutpicturegus.JPG
Posted By: pinkduster

Re: 90-10 shocks on a street/strip car - 12/19/10 03:45 PM

Quote:

I drive my dart around on occasion with open headers , a perpetually dragging trans blanket , slicks , skinny fronts , etc.... its a Freakin blast . thats what its about to me.

That's awesome!
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: 90-10 shocks on a street/strip car - 12/19/10 03:53 PM

just a really dumb question /reply
who do you think calvert, comp, etc get their
shocks from??
texeco/honeywell biggest manufature of shocks
make monroe/gabriel/kyb/rancho/list endless
just a question ?
not a slam
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: 90-10 shocks on a street/strip car - 12/19/10 06:07 PM

i've always had 90/10s on my street cars, and i love the way they feel. i've got calverts on my scamp now, and they're perfect. nice and loose. that front end comes WAY up right now! you know, like it's supposed to! it handles fine. if i use my imagination i suppose it could be disconcerting to the less heroic.

Re: 90-10 shocks on a street/strip car - 12/19/10 07:09 PM

Quote:

just a really dumb question /reply
who do you think calvert, comp, etc get their
shocks from??
texeco/honeywell biggest manufature of shocks
make monroe/gabriel/kyb/rancho/list endless
just a question ?
not a slam

Dunno.

My Calverts have MADE IN CANADA stamped in them

codfish
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 90-10 shocks on a street/strip car - 12/19/10 07:21 PM

I have used all the shocks mentioned so far on my street BB Dart and Duster, I like the Koni SPA the best for dual duty, they have speed sensing valving so there not always real loose on the extension or the compression ,work good, lasts a long time Not as cheap as the Lakewoods and not as expensive as the QA1R I bought and tried Summit sells Koni and with the Summit additional discount code posted on here now you should be able to buy a set at a reasonable price

Re: 90-10 shocks on a street/strip car - 12/19/10 07:53 PM

Thanks Cab I looked into the QA1's and Afco and they were 300 and 400 for a pair and I just don't do enough racing to warrant that kind of dough
Gus

Attached picture 6366548-burnoutpicturegus.JPG
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 90-10 shocks on a street/strip car - 12/20/10 12:19 AM

I think the Koni SPA are under a $100 a peice, problally less than $180 for the pair If I'm remembering correctly Koni lists B body front shocks and not A bodys. I bought and I'm using the B body shocks on my Duster now A good freind of mine who has set several NHRA world record in stock class cars(Mopars cars of course ) has bought ,tested and treid all of the shocks mentioned on here including the Ranckos and calvert, he has the same part # Koni that I'm using on hos world record setting cars HE does not drive his race cars on the street is the only differences
© 2024 Moparts Forums