Moparts

Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP!

Posted By: onebaddakota

Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/18/10 08:54 PM

Did anyone else catch that? Normally I don't pay much attention to EM as it doesn't yield much useful tech, but I was blown away with the power they got out of such a tame combo.
5.7L block stroked to 417CI
Bore: 3.95
stroke: 4.25
compr: 11.3 on 91 octane
heads: 5.7( 2.18 intake/1.60 exhaust)
Intake:drag pack single plane
cam: 235/241 with 648 lift
rockers: Jesel
Accel DFI

No coatings were used. The article dodn't say if these were the 5.7 09 eagle heads or the earlier castings. I bet the're the 09s. The only pricey thing I see is the Jesel setup. But good lord, 700HP@6500/621TQ @5200 on 91 with factory heads and a small hyd roller. It sure put the beat down on God's apparent gift to the SB world: The LS motor.
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/18/10 09:04 PM

One one hand I am thinking " Wow........pretty cool "
On the other , I am thinking " Where was this stuff when I started buying R-3 and W-9 parts ? "
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/18/10 10:46 PM

I JUST picked up engine master i didn't see it,is it in stores now?i'm thinkin maybe punjab ali sold me an old 1.
Posted By: mopar_to_ya

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/18/10 11:12 PM

This is what I was looking for a week ago. Good info!
If you got more info on it, please post it.
Thanks
Posted By: HEMIDARTS

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/18/10 11:25 PM

hmmmmmmmmm The Dart likes the sound of this. And its still a HEMI ( technically )
Posted By: b1596

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/18/10 11:59 PM

It sure put the beat down on God's apparent gift to the SB world: The LS motor. .....
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/19/10 03:32 AM

Rookie here. Has there been tech advances, to allow 500lbs+ off the seat springs in those heads? Isn't that the limiting factor, for a solid roller zoot zoot cam installation? Weren't ovate springs used, as a way around the head clearance issue? They definately are making some power. Finally, wasn't the Westlake dyno reported to be a little "happy"?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/19/10 04:03 AM

That is pretty stout for a hyd roller... the whole
thing sounds pretty tame and it still made those numbers...
I have heard that their dyno is on the happy side but
they all run on the same stuff...even if its 50hp
high thats still pretty darn good
Posted By: topbrent

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/19/10 04:44 AM

Very Impressive results by BES, but I would hate to see the price tag of that build.

Seemingly, anything Gen III Hemi = Big $$$$

It would be nice if the aftermarket would support these engines more.
Thankfully, this is slowly happening.

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/19/10 05:53 AM

I think they used K1 stuff on the internals. The 09 heads are a heck of a bargain at $600/pair complete. They even come with 16 iridium plugs. Those alone are worth over a $100! I know those flow 300 cfm @600. Porting shows the normal improvements in flow as well. Arrington and another company are in the production phase of rockers that will allow the use of solid rollers.
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/19/10 06:07 AM

Quote:

I think they used K1 stuff on the internals. The 09 heads are a heck of a bargain at $600/pair complete. They even come with 16 iridium plugs. Those alone are worth over a $100! I know those flow 300 cfm @600. Porting shows the normal improvements in flow as well. Arrington and another company are in the production phase of rockers that will allow the use of solid rollers.

I ran iridium plugs in my 5.7....they were only $3 a piece.....looks like that combo isn't really all that pricey other than the jesel pieces.....nice

Rickster
Posted By: BradH

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/19/10 06:27 AM

My brain can't align those results w/ that combination of parts.
Posted By: AlexP

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/19/10 08:19 AM

Once you see one of these motors up close, you'll see how it looks almost exactly like an LS with even more awesome heads.

It may take years for the classic community to grasp what these motors are capable of, but when they do...hold on.

I don't get on here as much, but if anyone needs 3g hemi advice shoot me a pm. I can help.
Posted By: sshemi

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/19/10 11:40 AM

Quote:

Whats the story on these heads???
600$ what? where?
Posted By: topbrent

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/19/10 12:51 PM

Quote:

The 09 heads are a heck of a bargain at $600/pair complete...I know those flow 300 cfm @600. Porting shows the normal improvements in flow as well.

With the huge expertise on tap at BES, I am afraid I don't think they just slapped some untouched $600.00 stocker heads on there.
(note, I don't think that is what you are implying by suggesting that price.)
But, just to be clear, BES put the serious dollars (parts and R&D) into that build to win the event.
Definitely showed the capability of the platform, albeit very far from "stock parts."

Impressive engine with astounding power, but don't kid yourself into believing that this engine and the word budget could ever be considered in the same sentence.
Replicating the results would involve a big bundle of cash.

Posted By: Dragula

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/19/10 04:30 PM

Repost....
Posted By: Dave_S

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/19/10 07:02 PM

You have a part number for these heads? all I can find are bare castings for $390 each!
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/19/10 07:15 PM

nice build
i could never build it
neat to see the hp out of it
as for moinie it would take to build mm
out of site
wounder what the actual piston rod / crank is in it didnt see th post on it

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/19/10 09:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The 09 heads are a heck of a bargain at $600/pair complete...I know those flow 300 cfm @600. Porting shows the normal improvements in flow as well.

With the huge expertise on tap at BES, I am afraid I don't think they just slapped some untouched $600.00 stocker heads on there.
(note, I don't think that is what you are implying by suggesting that price.)
But, just to be clear, BES put the serious dollars (parts and R&D) into that build to win the event.
Definitely showed the capability of the platform, albeit very far from "stock parts."

Impressive engine with astounding power, but don't kid yourself into believing that this engine and the word budget could ever be considered in the same sentence.
Replicating the results would involve a big bundle of cash.

There's no question BES does great work. Having said that this isn't a build out of fantasy land. Several of the drag pack cars are approaching these numbers with all their restrictions. You can get a 630HP crate from Arrington with a warranty. The heads will certainly support the HP.
Posted By: emarine01

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/19/10 10:25 PM

Interesting bore to stroke, anyone know the rod length
Posted By: moparmanjames

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/20/10 01:09 AM

That's pretty Bad Ass, and I was just as impressed by last year's 365 Hot Heads Hemi entry:

http://www.thehemi.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3467
Posted By: LA360

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/20/10 03:51 AM

I can't remember where I heard it, but I believe BES did the porting on those heads and are beginning to do CNC Porting in-house. I think I read it on Speed Talk
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/20/10 04:00 AM

Quote:

You can get a 630HP crate from Arrington with a warranty. The heads will certainly support the HP.

$14,899 plus a $3100 core charge.

Rick and I were talking on the phone tonite about these new Hemi's, it would be cool to find a stock 5.7 or 6.1 from a wrecking yard and throw it in a light weight hot rod. I'm wondering if it would be better to pour money into modifying this motor internally or just slap a supercharger on it and go.
Posted By: STEFF

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/20/10 04:17 AM

I'm extremely excited to start doing some things to my 6.1 Hemi, in my Road Runner. First off is CNC porting to the heads & new cam. Jeff at Modern told me his CNC program & using stock valves can support 800hp. Not too bad for a factory casting! I'm going to leave the short block alone for now, so what ever it makes, it makes.

On a side note Bob, the stock 6.1 piston can't really handle too much power adder. I had thoughts of putting a 100-125 shot plate system on mine & the killer is, the top ring on the 6.1 SRT8 piston is only .12" from the top of the piston........too close for comfort.
Posted By: LA360

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/20/10 04:24 AM

The cores seem so cheap at the moment, I really do wish I didn't have $$$ tied up in other engines

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/20/10 05:02 AM

Steff I just looked up all the available superchargers and they are pretty pricey anyways.

Seriously considering selling my 500" Indy headed low deck and starting a 6.1 project, Rick gave me the idea and Steff's photos awhile back were making me drool some.

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/20/10 05:46 AM

I picked up a 5.7 block with all the machine work done for $400. I think the budget conscious will chose the 5.7. Those blocks can be had for $200. That block punched to 400+ with the 09 heads would make a stout package with a reasonable budget.
I think you also have to look at HP per dollar. Let's face it, most eddy/RHS headed 408 combos are done at 500-525HP and with a weaker block. I think the new normal for these stroked hemis with carbs is going to be in the 600HP range.
I just saw another build today with the a 6.1L blocked stroked to 426 that had the 09 RT heads and an EFI street/strip cam in new challenger put down 560 to the tires through an automatic!

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/20/10 06:57 AM

None of the stock pistons are suited for boost. The top ring lands break by looking at them.

To consider the fact that a heads/cam/headers/ported intake 6.1 (stock shortblock) can go low 11's to high 10's in a 4000 lb race weight IRS car with all the proper mods, stick it in a 3000-3500lb classic mopar with a chassis you can actually tune and its gonna be quick !

I wish I still had my 6.1 for my Roadrunner

For a stupid fast car, I would run a forged 6.1, 09 5.7 heads worked up by someone who knows them, a 3.6 Kenne Bell and be done. 1200HP @ 20ish PSI with EFI taking care of the rest. It could be done for about $15,000 with the blower (no efi yet) if you shop carefully....
Posted By: RAMM

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/20/10 02:08 PM

I was there this year and I can tell you first hand that BES's Hemi was easily the class of the field. What makes it even more impressive is that the dyno's are NOT on the HAPPY side in fact just the opposite. The EMC uses the SAE corection factor which further reduces the numbers compared to the more normal STP factor. What's even more amazing is that the fuel was terrible and no where near 91 octane. Tony is the man! J.Rob
Posted By: 540challenger

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/20/10 03:11 PM

Quote:

None of the stock pistons are suited for boost. The top ring lands break by looking at them.

To consider the fact that a heads/cam/headers/ported intake 6.1 (stock shortblock) can go low 11's to high 10's in a 4000 lb race weight IRS car with all the proper mods, stick it in a 3000-3500lb classic mopar with a chassis you can actually tune and its gonna be quick !

I wish I still had my 6.1 for my Roadrunner

For a stupid fast car, I would run a forged 6.1, 09 5.7 heads worked up by someone who knows them, a 3.6 Kenne Bell and be done. 1200HP @ 20ish PSI with EFI taking care of the rest. It could be done for about $15,000 with the blower (no efi yet) if you shop carefully....

I have notice that a decent amount of people are using the newer 5.7 heads over the 6.1 heads what are the reasons???

I know flow wise the new 5.7 head is close to the 6.1 head, however is it the better chamber design or a cost factor??

If i am not mistaken i would think it would be the cost factor since the new 6.4L is still using the 6.1 head IF the 5.7 was better wouldn't they just use the 5.7 head???

Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/20/10 06:34 PM

And its still a HEMI ( technically )

Meaning, it says so in the ads?
Posted By: Get-X

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/20/10 06:51 PM

Quote:

Meaning it has the same chamber shape as the old Hemi, and not the wedge chamber like a Hemi99.

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/20/10 07:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Meaning it has the same chamber shape as the old Hemi, and not the wedge chamber like a Hemi99.

Also it means that it is a small block, not a big block like all the original HEMI's were.
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/20/10 07:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Also it means that it is a small block, not a big block like all the original HEMI's were.

FYI All of the original HEMI's were of the small block variety... ( Dont forget the Gen 1's!)

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/20/10 11:30 PM

my opinion is i would imagine the guys w drag pak chally's have pretty tricked out new hemi,with that being said the fastest one i've seen without a kenne bell super charger was high 10,to me for 90 to 100 grand
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/21/10 12:03 AM

Quote:

my opinion is i would imagine the guys w drag pak chally's have pretty tricked out new hemi,with that being said the fastest one i've seen without a kenne bell super charger was high 10,to me for 90 to 100 grand

You need to get out more.

The new 6.1 Challengers have been in the high 9's. A 5.7 had run 10.0's and they could have been in the 9's also. But they have more potential as many runs show a low mph.
The "kit" started out at under $40k and racers have put at least that much more into it. But transformation of an old car into a race car and R&D on the faster class top qualifiers can probably be $40k also.

The near $100,000 new Challenger for 2011, that's basically turn-key, is rumored to have run mid-9's in preliminary testing. But that's a Viper engine.

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/21/10 12:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You need to get out more.

The new 6.1 Challengers have been in the high 9's. A 5.7 had run 10.0's and they could have been in the 9's also. But they have more potential as many runs show a low mph.
The "kit" started out at under $40k and racers have put at least that much more into it. But transformation of an old car into a race car and R&D on the faster class top qualifiers can probably be $40k also.

The near $100,000 new Challenger for 2011, that's basically turn-key, is rumored to have run mid-9's in preliminary testing. But that's a Viper engine.

i knew someone would think i was critical of the new hemi's,,,relax! all i was sayin is some big $ guys have those new hemi's! and i havent seen any other then a mr norm,or jegs that has really power wise impressed me..I DO LIKE THE CAR!!!but it should have a little more zip...tiny na small blocks run 10 on pump gas
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/21/10 12:31 AM

Well, I didn't look at your post as being "critical", just not up-to-date. Especially since you were a full second off on performance.

While the Drag Packs do have some impressive specs, those engine and weight specs have to be adhered to as a legal Stock classed car. But they haven't reached their full potential under those rules yet. These combos are only a couple of year old.

Pump gas small blocks can run high 10's, but they have no rules limiting how they do it: Strokers, any heads, any cam, etc. There are 340 and 360 Stockers that have run deep in the 10's also. But there is a big difference and a lot more work and money in getting a car to pick up a half a second starting at 10 flat than it is starting at 11 flat.
Basically, as you get faster, each subsequent .10 is more work and expense than the previous.
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/21/10 12:41 AM

i have a feeling there's a gen iii hemi in my scamp's future. they're becoming more and more abundant, and they make preposterous power. preposterous, i tell ya. and they're mopar.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/21/10 01:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry, but the originals WERE small blocks!
Posted By: TrWaters

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/21/10 01:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Actually, the chambers are not shaped like the old hemi. They are not hemispherical at all.

Attached picture 6368896-HPIM3658_320x240.JPG

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/21/10 01:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry, but the originals WERE small blocks!

I understand that. I was not trying to argue with anyone.
I was making more of a joke than anything.
I was refering to the 426 HEMI. Sorry about that.

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/21/10 02:36 AM

well a hemi on race gas in a 3000lb car,ah i give up..
Posted By: moeflo

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/21/10 03:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Actually, the chambers are not shaped like the old hemi. They are not hemispherical at all.

If you look at how the individual scallops around each valve deshroud with lift you'll find it's done to mimic the intake diffusion patterns that a 426 does so well. You don't throw away what works. Making the chamber a full bowl shape would add a lot of volume while disturbing the intake flow. This is due to the valve angles. If it were a full bowl shape the chamber would be too flat. If this was good we'd all have 409 chevys.
The new hemis are how a narrow valve angle hemi is done if you want it to run like one. Everybody can call it what they want. As far as what matters, it's a hemi.
Posted By: @#$%&*!

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/21/10 06:39 AM

Quote:

Did anyone else catch that?

It's really a testament about the importance of port efficiency and how much the old wedge heads suck. This is nothing new, the old heads were just designed to be cheap to manufacture, performance was secondary, if not even farther down the list. One peek down the intake port of a wedge head shows what a torture chamber for moving gasses looks like. Tilting the valve toward the corresponding manifold naturally makes for a shorter port and takes away some of the opportunity for complex geometry. Now to piss off some people: how much does the 5.7/6.1 intake valve position and angle differ from the 318 poly? (see picture)

Attached picture 6369535-hemovpoly.jpg
Posted By: moeflo

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/21/10 01:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Did anyone else catch that?

It's really a testament about the importance of port efficiency and how much the old wedge heads suck. This is nothing new, the old heads were just designed to be cheap to manufacture, performance was secondary, if not even farther down the list. One peek down the intake port of a wedge head shows what a torture chamber for moving gasses looks like. Tilting the valve toward the corresponding manifold naturally makes for a shorter port and takes away some of the opportunity for complex geometry. Now to piss off some people: how much does the 5.7/6.1 intake valve position and angle differ from the 318 poly? (see picture)

The poly is very close to the 99 in it's valve layout. The valve locations/angles in the old 318's were never a performance problem. Intakes with angles favoring the ports, no side cant and a 0° exhaust angle. (the 99 began with a 2° exhaust angle, both no side cant)
The poly ports were designed around getting it to fit engine bays. (same thing that hurt the early 426 hemi's exhaust ) Like Drag Stripper said, performance was way, way down the list on nearly all OE hi-production engines. Also, he's dead on about the paths the intake ports must take in a wedge. It's why a hemi will out flow a wedge with the same cross-section. When setting a flow curve, you will give up more flow on one end in order to optimize the flow on the other. much more with a wedge than a hemi.

On polys and B,RB for that matter,1/2 inch longer valves and corresponding taller castings would have helped tremendously from the git-go. (They should have cut that 1/2 inch from the deck instead...) But packaging was the first priority.

The hew hemis ports and valves are centered and the angles very close, (the same?). In that regard, it's more hemish than a 426. There were some who complained that the 426 wasn't a true hemi because the intake and exhaust angles were different. In retrospect, that's a weak argument. I suspect the same will eventually be true regarding the new hemis.

Somewhere along the way we made up this idea that all 2V engines fell into either wedge or hemi. It just ain't so.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/22/10 04:23 PM

It's nice to see the Gen 3 catching on a little bit
Posted By: moderncylinder

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/22/10 04:27 PM

are you guys sure it had 5.7 heads on it?? i guess i havent seen "new" 5.7 heads, but the drag pack intake is meant to fit 6.1 heads,,, there are no 5.7 heads on any packages they offer. id think the intake is for 6.1 heads,,, so they used 6.1 heads
Posted By: 540challenger

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/22/10 04:36 PM

Quote:

are you guys sure it had 5.7 heads on it?? i guess i havent seen "new" 5.7 heads, but the drag pack intake is meant to fit 6.1 heads,,, there are no 5.7 heads on any packages they offer. id think the intake is for 6.1 heads,,, so they used 6.1 heads

The newer 5.7L heads have larger ports then the older version. They are very close to the 6.1L heads and the intake for can swap over.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/22/10 05:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The newer 5.7L heads have larger ports then the older version. They are very close to the 6.1L heads and the intake for can swap over.

This is true since 2009 when VCT hit, AKA "5.7 Eagle"

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/22/10 11:25 PM

Quote:

You really didn't know that ? Wow.

The port window on both the I & E is very close to the 6.1 head.
Posted By: moderncylinder

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/23/10 12:21 AM

no,, i havent seen a new 5.7 head,, ive done about 15 sets of 6.1 heads in the last year,,, no 5.7 heads.....

the drag pack 5.7 hemi has the 6.1 head on it

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 12/23/10 01:56 AM

Quote:

no,, i havent seen a new 5.7 head,, ive done about 15 sets of 6.1 heads in the last year,,, no 5.7 heads.....

the drag pack 5.7 hemi has the 6.1 head on it

I'd take a look at it. It's the best compromise between the two. A tight combustion chamber, smaller than 6.1 intake ports with the 6.1 exhaust port.

Makes big power, even in stock form on a 5.7.
Posted By: MattW

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 01/31/11 11:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This is true since 2009 when VCT hit, AKA "5.7 Eagle"

Tell me you have a Chrysler part# for the new eagles heads. Matt
Posted By: fbs63

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 02/01/11 02:15 AM

emarine01,
The rod length listed in the PHR detail article is 6.125. With a 4.250 stroke thats a 1.44 rod ratio. Kinda kills the long rods are needed to make power thing

Attached picture 6449437-CarPic2.jpg
Posted By: wldtm

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 02/01/11 02:37 AM

Quote:

Steff I just looked up all the available superchargers and they are pretty pricey anyways.

Seriously considering selling my 500" Indy headed low deck and starting a 6.1 project, Rick gave me the idea and Steff's photos awhile back were making me drool some.

Hey Prosport, I have seen enough of your posts to convince to get a gen3 hemi. We traded a couple PM's and I say sell it and put a 6.1 or 5.7 hemi in. I will help in anyway I can.

I have 5.7 hemi with a tko in a 69 fast back cuda. It will have a centrifugal supercharger on it.

So besides pushrod length, what needs to be done to be the eagle 5.7 heads on the old 5.7 hemi. I know compression jumps up. Any links to the head swap on this.

Justin

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 02/01/11 03:04 AM

Quote:

Hey Prosport, I have seen enough of your posts to convince to get a gen3 hemi. We traded a couple PM's and I say sell it and put a 6.1 or 5.7 hemi in. I will help in anyway I can.

I'd still LOVE to do this someday but in this economy I'd have to give my motor away. I would need to get good money for my motor, then find a smokin deal on a new Hemi so I could use the extra money to beef it up. And then my Ultrabell equipped 727 wouldn't work as it's a big block tranny. Heck I'd be better off just building an old 426 Hemi so I can utilize my tranny, water pump, motor plate etc. But the 6.1 sure would be a fun project, I'm anxious to see your Cuda all done.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 02/01/11 04:58 AM

Quote:

emarine01,
The rod length listed in the PHR detail article is 6.125. With a 4.250 stroke thats a 1.44 rod ratio. Kinda kills the long rods are needed to make power thing

They are not revving over 7K or so and have to put up good numbers even lower in the rev range than most motors, long rods help high RPM power and short rods help low RPM power. Proven many time over on dynos all over the world. Not a huge difference and probably less then 15 peak hp on most motors but it is still there. There are other places in most motors to find more of a difference for less dollars but in an all out motor they will find a R/S ratio that best fits there needs and in this case the heads give them awesome power up top and they need more down low so a short rod will help them where as if they were building a drag only motor where it stays at higher RPM all the time then they would probably have tried to find a little longer rod.
Posted By: MattW

Re: Engine Masters: SB hemi wins with 700HP! - 02/04/11 04:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

emarine01,

They are not revving over 7K or so and have to put up good numbers even lower in the rev range than most motors, long rods help high RPM power and short rods help low RPM power. Proven many time over on dynos all over the world. Not a huge difference and probably less then 15 peak hp on most motors but it is still there. There are other places in most motors to find more of a difference for less dollars but in an all out motor they will find a R/S ratio that best fits there needs and in this case the heads give them awesome power up top and they need more down low so a short rod will help them where as if they were building a drag only motor where it stays at higher RPM all the time then they would probably have tried to find a little longer rod.

I thought I would give this a bump with all the talk of G3.
© 2024 Moparts Forums