Moparts

NOS turbo 440 manifold???

Posted By: joshking440

NOS turbo 440 manifold??? - 12/12/10 04:30 PM

There is one in the for sale section

When and on what did they do this??? Industrial application??
Posted By: blownzoom440

Re: NOS turbo 440 manifold??? - 12/12/10 05:27 PM

i am guessing a late 70's motorhome.i remember seeing a cam for it in the PAW catalog in the 80's.i am useualy wrong tho.
found some pics here.
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f11/f54/195565-turbo-440-rv-2.html

Attached picture 6352936-440turbo.jpg

Re: NOS turbo 440 manifold??? - 12/12/10 06:07 PM

Attached picture 6353035-440side.jpg
Posted By: Defbob

Re: NOS turbo 440 manifold??? - 12/12/10 10:47 PM

Quote:

There is one in the for sale section

When and on what did they do this??? Industrial application??

RV's. they would work great on a something like I built. the trouble is getting them to fit a vehicle
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: NOS turbo 440 manifold??? - 12/13/10 12:37 AM

I bet that heated the floors in the RV!

What type of Thermoquad was that?
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: NOS turbo 440 manifold??? - 12/15/10 04:58 PM

Probably a standard T-quad. That RV setup is a draw-thru system, which typically does not require carb mods.

Air goes thru the carb into an adapterplate, thru the turbo compressor, and then back thru a separate chamber in the adapter plate and into the intake manifold.

Re: NOS turbo 440 manifold??? - 12/16/10 03:35 AM

Quote:

Probably a standard T-quad. That RV setup is a draw-thru system, which typically does not require carb mods.

Air goes thru the carb into an adapterplate, thru the turbo compressor, and then back thru a separate chamber in the adapter plate and into the intake manifold.

Do you have to richen it up a bunch for the extra air?

How would a air/fuel mix work going into a intercooler?

Fuel fall out of suspension?
Posted By: fastmopars

Re: NOS turbo 440 manifold??? - 12/16/10 03:40 AM

Pic of the adapter plate..

Attached picture 6359993-parts010.jpg

Re: NOS turbo 440 manifold??? - 12/16/10 03:46 AM

Quote:

Pic of the adapter plate..

Looks like in runs in a circle

I remember the ACCEL Turbo systems back in the day. Reggie Jackson had a car with one IIRC.
Posted By: fastmopars

Re: NOS turbo 440 manifold??? - 12/16/10 03:50 AM

The bottom side..

Attached picture 6360018-turbo003.jpg
Posted By: feets

Re: NOS turbo 440 manifold??? - 12/16/10 09:07 PM

You set it up like a normal carb but need to enlarge the needle and seat to allow more fuel flow.

They're great for fuel suspension. Most of the fuel gets mixed into a really nice aerosol. The down side is that if there's a leak you've got a fuel/air bomb on your hands. It's not possible to intercool and will ice the carb in cold weather.

Re: NOS turbo 440 manifold??? - 12/16/10 10:09 PM

Quote:

You set it up like a normal carb but need to enlarge the needle and seat to allow more fuel flow.

They're great for fuel suspension. Most of the fuel gets mixed into a really nice aerosol. The down side is that if there's a leak you've got a fuel/air bomb on your hands. It's not possible to intercool and will ice the carb in cold weather.

i dissagree on intercooling.it can be drawn thru an A/W like with the roots but would need fab work to mount it over the intercooler core.just saying.
ps:my brother made 300rwhp on a KZ1425cc MR turbo kit draw thru [correction[S&S flat slide 40mm.

Attached picture 6361303-th_The20Bike2.jpg
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: NOS turbo 440 manifold??? - 12/17/10 12:08 AM

I thought those were really terrible for fuel suspension because you need to drag the fuel all the way from the carb, to the turbo, then back to the intake manifold. That's a lot of area for the fuel to cool and fall out of suspension.

Re: NOS turbo 440 manifold??? - 12/17/10 02:52 PM

Quote:

i dissagree on intercooling.it can be drawn thru an A/W like with the roots but would need fab work to mount it over the intercooler core.just saying.

Draw cold air through an intercooler then compress it and heat it up again?

Yeah, that makes sense.

Re: NOS turbo 440 manifold??? - 12/17/10 02:54 PM

Quote:

I thought those were really terrible for fuel suspension because you need to drag the fuel all the way from the carb, to the turbo, then back to the intake manifold. That's a lot of area for the fuel to cool and fall out of suspension.

If you have an overly rich condition you can actually spin the fuel out of the mix in the compressor. Keep the tubing runs as short as possible and you'll be okay with the mix under boost.
At cruise you certainly can have the fuel falling out.

Re: NOS turbo 440 manifold??? - 12/17/10 10:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Draw cold air through an intercooler then compress it and heat it up again?

Yeah, that makes sense.

no SIR!the draw thru carb setup gets bolted on top of the A/W that is on top of the intake.

Re: NOS turbo 440 manifold??? - 12/18/10 04:31 AM

Quote:

no SIR!the draw thru carb setup gets bolted on top of the A/W that is on top of the intake.

That would help but I feel sorry for anyone with a backfire. That IC would be a bomb!
Posted By: dOc !

Re: NOS turbo 440 manifold??? - 12/18/10 04:50 AM

NEVER done any tweaking on this set-up but I have heard some reports from guys who have had this combo in motorhomes......

GOT to run premium fuel ... and with the weak as-is 440 in a motorhome chassis .. you are always "in" the turbo boost.

It is not the type of combo I would want to have.

Re: NOS turbo 440 manifold??? - 12/18/10 05:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That would help but I feel sorry for anyone with a backfire. That IC would be a bomb!

not to ramble on but if there was a 1 way flap in the tube a high back pressure could close the system before it got to the turbos/carb's

Re: NOS turbo 440 manifold??? - 12/18/10 01:37 PM

Quote:

NEVER done any tweaking on this set-up but I have heard some reports from guys who have had this combo in motorhomes......

GOT to run premium fuel ... and with the weak as-is 440 in a motorhome chassis .. you are always "in" the turbo boost.

It is not the type of combo I would want to have.

I wouldn't think 6 pak rods would be necessary. Some did get them.

Cast pistons in there? I would want to run water/meth injection.

Re: NOS turbo 440 manifold??? - 12/18/10 08:52 PM

Quote:

not to ramble on but if there was a 1 way flap in the tube a high back pressure could close the system before it got to the turbos/carb's

The fuel/air mix inside the IC core would be the bomb. Ignite that mess and it's going to blow.

Re: NOS turbo 440 manifold??? - 12/18/10 09:06 PM

that is what thay make the burst plate for correct?dont think that i am being arguementive,i like finding ways to make things work.
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: NOS turbo 440 manifold??? - 12/19/10 01:09 AM

The manifolds were add ons. They were sold through a place called turbo power until about the mid '80s.
As for intercooling a draw through system... The minimal positive theoretical effect won't come anywhere close to outweighing the negatives that come with it. Draw through systems suck(litterally) and adding an intercooler just makes it worse.

Re: NOS turbo 440 manifold??? - 12/19/10 01:22 AM

so even with the I/C on the pressure side you feel it is restrictive?gaining 1 hp per *F IAT drop what is the negative?

Re: NOS turbo 440 manifold??? - 12/19/10 06:09 AM

The carb will ice below 50 degrees F. In addition, fuel will fall out of suspension in the IC through lower velocity and condensing due to the temperature and pressure drop.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: NOS turbo 440 manifold??? - 12/19/10 07:11 AM

Quote:

The carb will ice below 50 degrees F. In addition, fuel will fall out of suspension in the IC through lower velocity and condensing due to the temperature and pressure drop.

Beat me to it. Your intercooler will fill up with fuel as it cools, condenses and falls out of suspension. Really draw through carbs are not a good idea at all. You'd be a million times better off in just using a holley double pumper in a blow through application. Better driveability, performance, safer. Draw through is doable with port efi because the fuel is still injected at the head. Yet it's still not the most desirable because if a turbo pressure hose bursts you have no means of controlling engine speed.

Re: NOS turbo 440 manifold??? - 12/19/10 02:19 PM

Quote:

i do see a lot of fuel loss on my A/W with the roots but the velocity has me puzzled as the I/C would be no different the a tunnel ram with a plenum.i am sure the velocity gets complecated on just where the fuel would fall from suspension.thanks for your input.

Re: NOS turbo 440 manifold??? - 12/19/10 09:57 PM

i forgot about this pic.a boat engine on koffels dyno in 2006.

Attached picture 6366752-Jul17_06.JPG
Posted By: Turbo W350

Re: NOS turbo 440 manifold??? - 02/11/11 06:36 PM

I have a old RV Turbo kit on the 440 in my '85 W-350 Crewcab. It does really well for it's age and puts out 7psi max boost, on a 10 to 1 440 that's plenty for me

Re: NOS turbo 440 manifold??? - 02/12/11 04:29 AM

Quote:

I have a old RV Turbo kit on the 440 in my '85 W-350 Crewcab. It does really well for it's age and puts out 7psi max boost, on a 10 to 1 440 that's plenty for me

A real 10:1?

How's the MPG's?
Posted By: Turbo W350

Re: NOS turbo 440 manifold??? - 02/12/11 04:44 AM

True 10:1, the engine is a '68 with zero deck uncut flat top forged pistons, ported #452 heads, other than the intake the rest is factory stock. Yes it is water/meth injected with injection being triggered by vacuum not boost.

Mileage is 10-13 unloaded, 5-8 when towing up to 10K.

Here's a pic of it.

Attached picture 6470916-turbocharged4401.JPG
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: NOS turbo 440 manifold??? - 02/13/11 02:21 AM

Quote:

same principle as the Martin/ Accel units

© 2024 Moparts Forums