Moparts

NHRA Super Category Survey

Posted By: sg66mopar

NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/06/10 10:02 PM

I just received notices from NHRA of surveys to consider changes to the 3 Super Category indexes.

They're considering changing the ET breaks for all three, the light SST racers run on and even allowing SST racers to dial their own index.

I don't really have much input, don't much care what the index is but I thought some of the Super guys on here would be interested.
Posted By: wheelsup68dart

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/06/10 10:13 PM

Dumb idea IMO I think they are fine where they are at.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/06/10 10:35 PM

So Super Street would become nothing but a bracket catagory between 10 flat and 10.99. It will increase the car count...good for nhra and track..

Also to go to a full tree instead of five tenth pro light...a racer could footbrake..no delay box or transbrake...again cheaper for the racers..

it looks like nhra trying to bring bracket racing to divisional races...

you already have guys running big mph...so they could run dial 10 flat..

also would they get rid of the 2800 lbs minimun weight?
Posted By: ProStDodge

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/06/10 10:59 PM

I received a "poll" for Super/Gas - basically wanting me to vote for an index. 9.90, 9.50, or 8.90. No other options or opinion sections, just check one of the 3 boxes.

Quote:

Dear Racer,
You are receiving this e-mail resultant to discussions between NHRA and the Sportsman Racers Advisory Council for the Super Categories. The discussion centered about the possibility of changing the indexes of Super Comp and Super Gas. The SRAC representatives feel there is a need to lower the indexes by up to a full second. Both categories have had the same index since their inception into NHRA competition and the SRAC feel the need to change is based upon safety and the need to keep pace with the growing phenomenon of having larger horsepower engines.

We are asking for your input to further this discussion. Please follow the link below to cast your vote to either leave indexes as they are or change to one of the options listed. If you are licensed for both categories, you will receive separate emails for each, as we would like to keep the class votes separate.

This poll is not intended to be a final determination for any possible change. It is simply a way for us to gather information to see if a change is even on the radar. Poll results will be published at nhra.com.

Thank you for your support of NHRA Drag Racing and Happy Holidays,

Mike Rice
NHRA Pacific Division Director
SRAC Super Category Chairperson

I voted to keep the 9.90. I see no reason to change. If a S/G racer wants to run 8.90, he/she can go to Super/Comp.

Since its index racing, I see no real difference between setting the car up to run 9.50 as opposed to 9.90.

My guess is they (NHRA) is trying to reduce the amount of time cars spend "on the stop" to help keep public interest up. If that is the case, maybe a MPH cap could be implemented.

Because of the number of dragsters set up to run super quick classes, maybe they need to add a faster index class for those cars, like a 7.90 class. Although I hate to see them keep adding more classes as it can reduce car counts in other classes. Soon it would be like a cars show, so many classes nearly everyone gets a trophy.

Scott
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/06/10 11:09 PM

I don't think anyone (anyone being current .90 racers) would be in favor of a full tree and dial ins. Heads up, pro tree is what it's all about.

I don't think a majority would be in favor of making the indexes quicker. You would be looking at an 8.90 Super Gas car being able to run low 8s or high 7s to be competitive. Not everyone can afford 165 MPH horsepower, especially now. A bunch of good racers, who don't have deep pockets, would park 'em or go do something else..
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/06/10 11:39 PM

Ten years ago I proposed to the idiots controlling NHRA a way solve this so caled problem.

You announce that the index's are going to be lowered .10 a year for five years. It gives everybody a plan to what they need to do with their car. It will be subject to review after three years to see how it is impacting the recers. Ninety-nine percent of the racers already have .10 in their cmbination and won't have to spend a dime to comply.
Posted By: theclutcher

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/06/10 11:49 PM

a tenth at least.
get rid of timers.
has gotten rediculous and laughable.
Posted By: MegaDart

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/06/10 11:53 PM

I think all the indexes should be 1sec lower.
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/07/10 12:15 AM

They are apparently send out surveys only to those who has numbers/licenses. The survey I got was for SST only. The questions were 10.90, 10.50 or 10.00-10.99(dial your own). I voted to leave it alone.

They are also considering lowering the SC & SG indexes to 7.90 & 8.90. To me that's just another step to make it too expensive!!
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/07/10 12:21 AM

Quote:

It will kill it for the slower cars....not everyone can afford a 15-20k bullet and all that goes with having a 900+hp engine.....if sg wants to go faster then let them race sc and if sc wants to go faster let them step up to td....lowering the index's will have zero effect on filling the stands with spectators....I say leave it alone, it ain't broken

Rickster
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/07/10 12:39 AM

I know it will never happen, but I'd like to see "speed limits" on S/C S/G and S/ST. 135 in S/ST, 150 in S/C and 165 in S/C. It's ridiculous that we have 1,200 hp motors in an 8.90 dragster and 1,000 hp motors in "tube frame" S/ST cars.
Posted By: RonTheAnnouncer

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/07/10 12:40 AM

I've never run in the super classes, but from working at a track that ran a super class series, I can assure you that nothing chases fans away from the stands quicker than throttle stopped cars. Mind you, the racers get a kick out of it, but the average fan heads for the concessions when the .90s hit the track. Get rid of the TStops, and change the indexes to the .50s. The NHRA (and IHRA) could do much better in promoting the .90 class racers, as well as the entire sportsman side of the ledger, but we know how well that's been recieved over the years.
Posted By: bigdad

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/07/10 12:43 AM

I think they should limit MPH in them

"Most"

Super comp dragsters are capable of mid-to-low 7's at 175 plus

Either let them cut them loose or limit them
Putting 640 inch motors in a 9.90 car is really dumb but, you can't take a knife to a gunfight

so, its monkey see / monkey do

The cost is already out of hand

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/07/10 12:57 AM

Quote:

I know it will never happen, but I'd like to see "speed limits" on S/C S/G and S/ST. 135 in S/ST, 150 in S/C and 165 in S/C. It's ridiculous that we have 1,200 hp motors in an 8.90 dragster and 1,000 hp motors in "tube frame" S/ST cars.

Yep....slow them down, that will surely fill the stands

Divisional races rarely draw spectators...at National races...spectators only come to watch the pro's....I'm thinking most of the negative comments come from non-super class racers.....duh

Just my humble opinion

Rickster
Posted By: bigdad

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/07/10 01:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Divisional races rarely draw spectators...at National races...spectators only come to watch the pro's....I'm thinking most of the negative comments come from non-super class racers.....duh

Just my humble opinion

Rickster

Because the stands are packed full now ?

I go to Div races and Nat event races with my friends all the time , no one cares about the .90 classes except the people with the car or the driver

If you car isn't in, you don't watch or you leave
Posted By: Mopar_racer_99

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/07/10 01:03 AM

I just opened my email for s/g and voted to leave alone,if I want to run 8.9 I would get a s/c number. I agree if NHRA changes it, I see more people looking else where. Also I see them if this goes through then hey why not make S/ST need a chassis cert and full liscense, costing racers more and more to compete. jmho John
Posted By: SCATPACK 1

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/07/10 01:06 AM

The 2 most boring classes at any NHRA event to watch as a spectator. We usually get up and go to look at other cars or side shows when they run these Throttle stop wonders. Do a big burnout and blast off the line for all of 2 feet before they slow to a crawl and slowly accelerate again to reach the end of the track and 130 MPH...
B O R I N G! Kind of like watching two taxi cabs leave the airport.

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/07/10 01:09 AM

Quote:

I don't see a point in doing that. There is already a class 1-sec faster. If you want to run 1 sec faster, move from S/ST to S/G or S/G to S/C. Now if you already run S/C and you want to go faster, then yes, there may be call for a new 7.90 class. However, there is a Jegs SuperQuick series which allows dragsters and door cars, loosely based on a 7.50 index. Yes its a bracket race, but most of the dragsters are running 7.50 as that is the maximum allowed.

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/07/10 01:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just my humble opinion

Rickster

Because the stands are packed full now ?

I go to Div races and Nat event races with my friends all the time , no one cares about the .90 classes except the people with the car or the driver

If you car isn't in, you don't watch or you leave

My point exactly....they aren't filled now and never will be at Divisionals, sure if the economy was better you would see more....but I really can't remember ever seeing many spectators at Division races.....Nats are down too due to the economy....not Super Class cars

Rickster

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/07/10 01:54 AM

Quote:

The 2 most boring classes at any NHRA event to watch as a spectator. We usually get up and go to look at other cars or side shows when they run these Throttle stop wonders. Do a big burnout and blast off the line for all of 2 feet before they slow to a crawl and slowly accelerate again to reach the end of the track and 130 MPH...

Well I crossed it @ 168mph....not boring from the seat and slowly accelerate....hardly, whens the last time you went 168mph in less than 1/4 mile or 1/4 mile for that matter

Rickster
Posted By: Eric

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/07/10 01:58 AM

Quote:

Spoken like a man who would see a ton of trailer time in a T/S race... ...Hey I love "wheels up Super Stockers" as much as the next guy...but I got news for you...not eveyone can afford a 25K bullet on the ragged edge to be competitive. I ran S/R for years going 9.90 @ 136....went my share of rounds..and I can care less if the guy in the next lane has a Pro Stocker on the stop.

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/07/10 01:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Just my humble opinion

Rickster

I'm not speaking about the grandstands. NHRA sportsman racing, as it is, is NEVER going to appeal to the masses and causal spectator. Where I'm coming from is the hobby racer who has to punch a time clock for a living that can't afford the HP the super-class cares are making.
Posted By: cgall

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/07/10 02:14 AM

This is the third time in the last 6 years that they put out one of these worthless surveys...in addition, the Sportsman Council has made numerous suggestions, none of which has been implemented, and half of the representatives have quit showing up for the meetings.

Throw those letters away, fellas, it is just lip service.

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/07/10 02:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just my humble opinion

Rickster

I'm not speaking about the grandstands. NHRA sportsman racing, as it is, is NEVER going to appeal to the masses and causal spectator. Where I'm coming from is the hobby racer who has to punch a time clock for a living that can't afford the HP the super-class cares are making.

Not all SST, SG & SC racers are huge dollar operations and there sure is a boatload of racers that seem to enjoy the Super Class competition....like I said before, it ain't broke, so leave it alone

Rickster

Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/07/10 02:37 AM

You ALL may as well just face it,,,if you aren't going to race in an NHRA/IHRA PRO class,,,you are going to be a "bracket" racer....S/S,,STK,,all just bracket racers. I know it is hard to swallow, but that is what it ALL boils down too. I don't like it, I know most of you don't like it, but if we are going to race on a budget, we will be racing in some form of handicapped/headstart racing series unless they make classes .10 sec. apart that are 'heads up'.

Let the begin!!

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/07/10 03:18 AM

Quote:

You ALL may as well just face it,,,if you aren't going to race in an NHRA/IHRA PRO class,,,you are going to be a "bracket" racer....S/S,,STK,,all just bracket racers. I know it is hard to swallow, but that is what it ALL boils down too. I don't like it, I know most of you don't like it, but if we are going to race on a budget, we will be racing in some form of handicapped/headstart racing series unless they make classes .10 sec. apart that are 'heads up'.

Let the begin!!

Have always loved bracket racing myself

Rickster
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/07/10 04:56 AM

Having attended both pro races in Vegas (free passes to boot), and the end of the year divisional, I'll be hitting the divisional only next year. The circus has lost it's appeal with me. I'll be one of the very few in the stands, but my taste in racing has changed.

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/07/10 06:05 AM

Quote:

Rickster

Actually a "speed limit" would not necessarily slow down the cars, they are still going to run on the index anyway. What is would do is reduce the amount of time they would kill on the throttle stop. After all, the entire purpose of the throttle stop is to use a huge motor to run a slow time with a high MPH. Theoretically giving the "faster" car a slight advantage at the finish line. Limiting the MPH would hopefully mean the super fast cars would drop to the next index class.
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/07/10 02:55 PM

let's see a 8.90 or 8.50 class with no electronics at all.no spray or boosted motors no controller MSD.no eletric or air shifter.

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/07/10 03:29 PM

Quote:

let's see a 8.90 or 8.50 class with no electronics at all.no spray or boosted motors no controller MSD.no eletric or air shifter.

That's a MUCH better solution that the speed limits, which was what I was getting at when I said it. No stops = no big HP. Oh and no delay boxes...
Posted By: BradH

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/07/10 03:32 PM

Quote:

... Throttle stop wonders. Do a big burnout and blast off the line for all of 2 feet before they slow to a crawl... B O R I N G!

I know some of you guys are totally into the TS racing scene, but from a non-participant / spectator perspective, this guy pretty much nailed it.
Posted By: MegaDart

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/07/10 04:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

... Throttle stop wonders. Do a big burnout and blast off the line for all of 2 feet before they slow to a crawl... B O R I N G!

I know some of you guys are totally into the TS racing scene, but from a non-participant / spectator perspective, this guy pretty much nailed it.

that is why the survey was ONLY sent to PARTICIPANTS, not bench warmers.

I still believe lowering the index's is WAY overdue. Then create a "new" entry level class to replace the old S/St with .500 full tree bracket race no quicker then 10.0, no electronics, tb's etc.

As always NHRA is only concerned about revenue. If they want to double their car counts at Div. races they should allow SuperPro and Pro to compete and pay contingency like IHRA does at some events.

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/07/10 04:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I still believe lowering the index's is WAY overdue. Then create a "new" entry level class to replace the old S/St with .500 full tree bracket race no quicker then 10.0, no electronics, tb's etc.

As always NHRA is only concerned about revenue. If they want to double their car counts at Div. races they should allow SuperPro and Pro to compete and pay contingency like IHRA does at some events.

Faster cars = more saftey items = more $$$ kickback for Tom and the boys
Posted By: BradH

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/07/10 04:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Absolutely. I'm just one of those people who will go find something else to look at when the TS classes come to the line.

EDIT: I apologize for even having posted on this thread. It was intended for those who are PARTICIPANTS and not to solicit commentary on the nature of Throttle Stop classes from the rest of the world.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/07/10 04:28 PM

IMO it aint broke so dont fix it..NOTHING done in these classes will put butts in the stands, if you think it will you are sadly mistaken. I think all of us that run these classes get it. BTW the survey is pointless dribble, if they want to make a change they will. Do you honestly think they care what us racers think?

I am one of the those folks that is the target of a lot of the comments in this post. I am on the stop for a LONG time in S/ST. It is the way I choose to race, my money my option. Yes I can run S/G or even S/C if I choose. There are reasons I do not run in those classes. Among them is my car is heavy and trying to kill the tree at a National event in a heavy car on thier pro tree is not gonna happen. Do you guys even know what that tree is for a National event? My guess is most have no idea. Given the current rules I race where I feel my car is competitive. I have a S/C number as well, only to give me the option of running my own local National event, would rather be one of the lonely door cars in S/C as opposed to one of the lone door cars in S/G in a sea of roadsters. At least in S/ST we have some variety in the cars.

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/07/10 05:10 PM

Quote:

IMO it aint broke so dont fix it..NOTHING done in these classes will put butts in the stands, if you think it will you are sadly mistaken. I think all of us that run these classes get it. BTW the survey is pointless dribble, if they want to make a change they will. Do you honestly think they care what us racers think?

I am one of the those folks that is the target of a lot of the comments in this post. I am on the stop for a LONG time in S/ST. It is the way I choose to race, my money my option. Yes I can run S/G or even S/C if I choose. There are reasons I do not run in those classes. Among them is my car is heavy and trying to kill the tree at a National event in a heavy car on thier pro tree is not gonna happen. Do you guys even know what that tree is for a National event? My guess is most have no idea. Given the current rules I race where I feel my car is competitive. I have a S/C number as well, only to give me the option of running my own local National event, would rather be one of the lonely door cars in S/C as opposed to one of the lone door cars in S/G in a sea of roadsters. At least in S/ST we have some variety in the cars.

Posted By: sg66mopar

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/07/10 05:22 PM

The only "issue" for me is if they lower the Super Comp index to 8.50 my car will no longer be able to make the program. It'll probably run the number. I've never ran it flat out with the new (now broken) motor, but the chassis is only certified to 8.50 so I'd never be able to run under. We all know you need to be able to run under.

I bet there's a few other door car guys running SC that are in the same boat. I'm not interested in rebuilding my chassis so I can get it certed for 7.50.
Posted By: hemicop

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/07/10 05:48 PM

Quote:

They are apparently send out surveys only to those who has numbers/licenses. The survey I got was for SST only. The questions were 10.90, 10.50 or 10.00-10.99(dial your own). I voted to leave it alone.

They are also considering lowering the SC & SG indexes to 7.90 & 8.90. To me that's just another step to make it too expensive!!

I never got one & I'M licensed!?!?!
Besides that, IMO, keep the indexes where they are--most trcks adjust for the elev. anyway. Eliminate the electronics, INCREASE the weight of the cars & set a speed limit. Like the e.t.s, run too fast & you're out--a 130 S/ST car really doesn't need to get rear-ende when his 165/170mph competition gets loose or dynamites the brakes in an attempt toi not break-out. Plus it'll all cut down on costs.
IMO,(like many) NHRA wants to eliminate the hobby or "sportsman" racer and have nothing but Pros running. Hell, they barely tolerate the Super classes as it is!
Posted By: Slingshot383

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/07/10 06:07 PM

Change them to 10.50, 9.50, and 8.50, add a new class, 7.50, no more down track throttle stops, and see what happens. It would make the racing a lot more interesting, and it would match the ET's the nostalgia classes run.
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/07/10 07:24 PM

Quote:

The only "issue" for me is if they lower the Super Comp index to 8.50 my car will no longer be able to make the program. It'll probably run the number. I've never ran it flat out with the new (now broken) motor, but the chassis is only certified to 8.50 so I'd never be able to run under. We all know you need to be able to run under.

I bet there's a few other door car guys running SC that are in the same boat. I'm not interested in rebuilding my chassis so I can get it certed for 7.50.

I wonder who ever decided to do a point for an index that requires a chassis cert that only means anything if you breakout.example an 8.50 class only need the 7.50 cert if they breakout.whereas 8.60 index would give the .10 cushion and 8.50 chassis cars could also run.Same wioth 7.50 class needing a 6.00 cert

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/07/10 07:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I wonder who ever decided to do a point for an index that requires a chassis cert that only means anything if you breakout.example an 8.50 class only need the 7.50 cert if they breakout.whereas 8.60 index would give the .10 cushion and 8.50 chassis cars could also run.Same wioth 7.50 class needing a 6.00 cert

I don't know who he is but he has got to be the same person that makes you have the same safety equipment to run 1/8 mile that you need for 1/4 mile.

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/08/10 12:28 AM

Quote:

I found my S/C e-mail in my spam folder. It came about 3 days after my S/G e-mail.

Scott
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/08/10 02:15 AM

I have been Super Class racing since 1986.. Have 5 Wallys to show for it. I like it but I also think it can be tuned slightly..

1. Bring the indexes down to .50's
2. Make S/ST weight 3000#. Also, actually adhere to the ballast rules so you don't have Pro Stocks in the class adding 800# weight..
3. All classes go to instant green.. Best one yet..

If NHRA just went to the heritage series rules it would get back to the DRIVER, and not electronics.. But I don't think that will happen.. Waaay too much $$$ in electronics sales..

Chris...
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/08/10 02:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I found my S/C e-mail in my spam folder. It came about 3 days after my S/G e-mail.

Scott

Thank's Scott,
After wondering all week why I got left out, I read your post, then went to the spam box...Sure enough, SST and SG both in there..
I hope they get rid of the SST one class only rule, a bunch of old SG cars are sitting around rusting because people updated to a better car for SG, and can't run both. I think it would bolster the SST count, and also bring in new blood when Junior gets old enough, he'd be jumping into SST instead of stealing Dad's SC Dragster...

Attached picture 6344378-75459106.Y3cDcVzG.SportsmanFriday5.jpg

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/08/10 02:48 AM

Quote:

I have been Super Class racing since 1986.. Have 5 Wallys to show for it. I like it but I also think it can be tuned slightly..

2. Make S/ST weight 3000#. Also, actually adhere to the ballast rules so you don't have Pro Stocks in the class adding 800# weight..

If NHRA just went to the heritage series rules it would get back to the DRIVER, and not electronics.. But I don't think that will happen.. Waaay too much $$$ in electronics sales..

Chris...

Instant green is called Super Gas, Chris, with that filtered bulb to .370, we see who that favors..the guys with the 80,000 dollar Chassis!!
The .500 Pro Tree is the big equalizer, it's what gives the small tire, slapper bar guys a chance.

And you DON'T want electronics gone, and a drivers race, because then you would need to UPGRADE in that department Yeah...I said it!! Can the Blonde drive??

Attached picture 6344420-Copy(2)ofstuddlydadscowlscan.jpg
Posted By: BartonHemi

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/08/10 02:54 AM

Wish they would go to 9.90 ST 8.90 SG 7.90 SC. No dragsters in ST and SG NO THROTTLE STOPS in ST and SG, tune your car. Make the weights where heavily weighted cars don't fit, and the competition would be much more fun to watch. I'm sure lots don't like it,

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/08/10 03:15 AM

Let me explain why the electronics and t-stops aren't going away...as long as the classes are on an Index.

Typical National or big, busy Divisional, We get 1, maybe 2 time hits Friday, 1 Saturday, then First Round, cold turkey, Sunday Morning...there is NO WAY you can adjust to the index with that few runs, over that large of a weather/time swing without it!! All the competitors would be clamoring for more time hits, and NHRA certainly isn't going to allow that!!
Now, before you start preaching Mechanical stops, weight, short shifting ETC. let me inform you I've raced and tuned 4 different cars without stops...I KNOW first hand how difficult it is, and I'm telling you, car counts would suffer. I seriously doubt anyone else on this thread has ever had thier brother pull 60 pounds of unsecured ballast out of the pasenger side floorboard, 5 cars back from the burn-out box at a National Event!!

Attached picture 6344500-IMAGE0006.JPG

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/08/10 04:17 AM

Quote:

I seriously doubt anyone else on this thread has ever had thier brother pull 60 pounds of unsecured ballast out of the pasenger side floorboard, 5 cars back from the burn-out box at a National Event!!

Priceless....

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/08/10 04:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Rickster

Actually a "speed limit" would not necessarily slow down the cars, they are still going to run on the index anyway. What is would do is reduce the amount of time they would kill on the throttle stop. After all, the entire purpose of the throttle stop is to use a huge motor to run a slow time with a high MPH. Theoretically giving the "faster" car a slight advantage at the finish line. Limiting the MPH would hopefully mean the super fast cars would drop to the next index class.

Obviously you have never raced any of the classes of which you are commenting on

and Wayne hit the nail on the head.... this is exactly why only s-class racers received the survey

Rickster

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/08/10 11:05 AM

Quote:

Obviously you have never raced any of the classes of which you are commenting on

and Wayne hit the nail on the head.... this is exactly why only s-class racers received the survey

Rickster

You are indicating I have never class raced? Did you get an e-mail from NHRA to vote? I know I got two S/G and S/C. I have not raced my own cars lately due to divorce/financial issues, but I still maintain my license and have had a few rides since. I started racing in 1978 and haven't stopped yet. I am so addicted to the sport I happily work for $7.25hr on the div. 3 safety certifications team for 10-14 hr days in the hot or freezing weather, driving 6-8 hours, sleeping in my truck in wal-mart parking lots just to be at the divisional races. I worked for 2 years as the track announcer at Indianapolis Raceway park, have announced at Mopars Nationals, Mopars at the Strip in vegas, Monster Mopar Weekend, and countless other venues. So as a racer, a NHRA employee, and a member of the NHRA Track Announcers guild, I have seen all sides of the arguments. I see no easy answers, but please don't attempt to indicate I don't know whats going on.

Scott
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/08/10 12:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Chris...

Instant green is called Super Gas, Chris, with that filtered bulb to .370, we see who that favors..the guys with the 80,000 dollar Chassis!!
The .500 Pro Tree is the big equalizer, it's what gives the small tire, slapper bar guys a chance.

I disagree.. With Auto Start, you can't possibly time the tree. It would eliminate delay boxes, and more interesting to watch..

And you DON'T want electronics gone, and a drivers race, because then you would need to UPGRADE in that department Yeah...I said it!! Can the Blonde drive??

Billy, if I wasn't in this chair, I'd take care of that myself..

Sometimes you just have to try things and see if they work out..

I also think that the rule to not be able to compete in another class if you run S/ST needs to be removed.. (That was the Scotty Richardson Rule)

Chris..
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/08/10 04:31 PM

Do any of you guys think changing the indexes will solve, improve or change anything? That is the question we were asked, do you want the indexes changed, that was it. Do you honestly think lowering S/G to 8.90 will change things? IMO the only thing it will change is to lighten peoples wallets, exclude many cars and make costs go up. Some will have to spend money to simply be able to run the index, there are a LOT of 9.20 S/G and 8.20 S/C cars out there still. Also the big MPH stuff will continue, it is just gonna cost more to get there. But believe me the money will be spent. May take a year or two for that to happen but believe me it will. Many folks beleive having the MPH advantage is a big enough deal to go out ans spend the money to make it happen and will do what is necessary to make it happen. For those who cant aford to step it up I guess they will just sit on the sidelines or take up fishing. Is that what some of you really want?

BTW ding ding ding, Eric we have a winner But I knew you knew the info question is how many of the nay sayers knew that? Trying to get a heavy car to cut a lite on a .370 tree is not gonna happen. At least not good enough to be consistent. You either need a flywieght car or BIG power to do it. One reason there are so many roadsters and ex pro stockers in S/G. To cut a light WITH numbers in the box and the ability to run big MPH is a by product of these type of cars.

BTW I also agree with most of what MoparBilly said as well. Also with Chris on most points, particularly the ballast rules as they pertain to S/ST. I know of cars with a LOT of weight added to them to make the 2800lbs. I think the weight min needs to stay where it is for the class.
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/08/10 05:53 PM

I think NHRA should drop the Super Classes for at least 1 year and try running T/S and T/D. And see what the fans like best.At the Big events when the Super Classes run all the fans head for the pits. Don't get the wrong idea about me I stay in the stands and watch them run. "Long live the Sportsman Racers" what ever class they chose to run.

Yes I know T/D & T/S is Bracket Racing But at least give us "Bracket Racers" a chance

The Super Class,Heads-Up,Bracket Racers have got to get together(not to Bash each other)and come up with something that will pull Fans,Specators,Bench Racers out to the track to watch us and start bringing $$$$ to the tracks.Are soon thier will be no tracks for us to race at.

I am a "Bracket Racer" so I try and make all the Big $$$ bracket races. Most are good but could be better.
I had to not only get my new engine dialed in,but get it dialed in to the car as well. So that meant a few trips to the local tracks for some T&T.
I found the same thing on weeks they run Brackets & weeks they run Heads-Up classes. They would be a fair car count for a small track with a few people in the stands. Around 6pm or so there would be some Grudge-Racers start pulling in 6-8, 10 at the most. You would know when they got there,they would want to borrow your tire gauge or battery charger or jack. But here is what "Shocked" me when I pulled out on the track & looked into the stands they were almost full from fans coming out at the end of the day to watch the "Grudge-Racers" . I see this at several tracks. Has anyone else noticed this? That's how I got started in Drag-Racing I bet that's how most of the rest on here got started.

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/08/10 11:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Rickster

You are indicating I have never class raced? Did you get an e-mail from NHRA to vote? I know I got two S/G and S/C. I have not raced my own cars lately due to divorce/financial issues, but I still maintain my license and have had a few rides since. I started racing in 1978 and haven't stopped yet. I am so addicted to the sport I happily work for $7.25hr on the div. 3 safety certifications team for 10-14 hr days in the hot or freezing weather, driving 6-8 hours, sleeping in my truck in wal-mart parking lots just to be at the divisional races. I worked for 2 years as the track announcer at Indianapolis Raceway park, have announced at Mopars Nationals, Mopars at the Strip in vegas, Monster Mopar Weekend, and countless other venues. So as a racer, a NHRA employee, and a member of the NHRA Track Announcers guild, I have seen all sides of the arguments. I see no easy answers, but please don't attempt to indicate I don't know whats going on.

Scott

Quote:

Expecting Super Gas cars dropping to Super Comp and competing with pipe racks would not be a popular move....I'll say it once more.... "LEAVE IT ALONE IT AIN'T BROKE" and from your professed affiliation with NHRA I would think you would have to agree that these classes are some of the most competitive classes in NHRA & IHRA period

Rickster

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/09/10 05:29 AM

Yes I agree, they are highly competitive classes.

Yes, I voted both S/G and S/C to keep the current indexes.

I would like to see a 7.90 class added to get some of the faster "pipe racks" out of S/C. I don't think it will happen.

I am building a door car right now to compete in S/C against the dragsters, as I love a challenge!

Hope to see every one at PRI this week!

Scott

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/09/10 01:29 PM

Quote:

Yes I agree, they are highly competitive classes.

Yes, I voted both S/G and S/C to keep the current indexes.

I would like to see a 7.90 class added to get some of the faster "pipe racks" out of S/C. I don't think it will happen.

I am building a door car right now to compete in S/C against the dragsters, as I love a challenge!

Hope to see every one at PRI this week!

Scott

Scott....I would like to see NHRA & IHRA invest in educating the non-racer to the workings of these classes at the events

Rickster
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/11/10 04:21 AM

NHRA 2011 S/ST rule books say...beginning Jan 1, 2012, a nhra accepted lower engine oil-retention device must be used...or belly pan etc...

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/11/10 04:33 AM

Quote:

NHRA 2011 S/ST rule books say...beginning Jan 1, 2012, a nhra accepted lower engine oil-retention device must be used...or belly pan etc...

good rule

Rickster
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: NHRA Super Category Survey - 12/11/10 04:56 AM

I just got my Super Street Specific Survey, as I do have a current S/ST number I took the opportunity to vote how I see fit. Biggest improvement IMO would be to allow the drivers to run multiple classes, no sense in limiting the number of entries. I think the days of Scotty Richardson Dominating every race are over, and its fair to say most divisional level racers aren't new to the sport. I also Voted to leave the index and tree alone, 10.90 and 5 tenths pro tree.

Although I believe the 3rd option; effectively turning S/ST into a 10 second dial your own index class has some potential. It might help increase car counts as you could pick up quite a few local pro/super pro bracket racers at each divisional race, I am not totally sold on the idea. It has some flaws and I could see them totally destroying the class with this rule change.

Currently in Division 6 our car counts are so low they're now allowing Pro and Super Pro to race at the Divisionals. Aside from the absurdly high cost for nearly no payout it works well. I ran pro bracket at the Seattle LODRS event and made it to the semis, final 3 cars, and I still lost money on the deal. My winnings didn't even cover Entry fees.

Gotta love it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums