Moparts

DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW

Posted By: HEMIFRED

DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/05/10 03:00 PM

I start this thread twice a year. At season' end and again just after the off season .
It's informative sometimes but always very entertaining.
The only "rule" you must add the following at the end of you post.
It seems to add something when reading the replies.
DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW

When you add new brackets to get more adjustment
out of your seat position seat make sure you check to find out if you still fit when fully suited up.
Double check to see if you can get your helmet on when you are still in the shop.

Don't wait until you are at the track and find you can't fit in the cage now.
Because now your seat is higher and you can't get your helmet on your head when in the cage.
So you have to go home to re-do it all.

DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW

NEXT
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/05/10 03:27 PM

build a set of 2"primary underchassie/all tubes above centerlink headers for a duster with a smallblock and powersteering/powerbrakes just to find out the edelbrock heads on the real motor are diferent from the 318heads used for mocking the headers up in the car and that it screws up the whole thing

DONT ASK ME HOW I KNOW

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/05/10 03:31 PM

EXCELLENT

THANKS FOR SHARING
Posted By: HEMIDARTS

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/05/10 03:48 PM

When you let a well known chivy engine builder order a custom set of pistions, make sure you stress the fact to him that W2 head is not the same as a standard head. Other wise you will end up installing the crank,rods,and pistons to mock it all up, and the find out that the heads pop off the motor because the domes are not cut for the heads.

DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW!!!
Posted By: B Dartman

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/05/10 04:00 PM

If you find yourself laying under a car with a ratchet, breaker bar or torque wrench above your head, keep your hand on end of the ratchet, breaker bar, or torque wrench vs. holding it by the extension and socket as the two could separate allowing the ratchet, breaker bar or torque wrench to drop and pop you in the mouth maybe even breaking or chipping a tooth...

DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW.

And 6 months later...don't go stripping wires with your teeth as you just might pop the cap on that repaired tooth

DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/05/10 04:08 PM

dont put gas in a mt dew bottle
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/05/10 04:27 PM

When using a 3/16 steel plate for a work bench that is sitting on top of a garbage fender make sure you have it clamped down before you pull a big part, that you were working on, off toward you. DON"T ASK ME HOW I KNOW!
Posted By: Dave Watt

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/05/10 04:32 PM

When jacking up the right rear corner of a Plymouth Duster using a bumper jack, make sure you use wheel chocks on the front tires or else the car will roll forward projecting the jack mast right through the tail light.
DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW!

Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/05/10 04:46 PM

When using a temporary mount satellite dish on top of your race trailer at the races, remember to take it down before you pack up and drive home.

Don't ask me how I know!

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/05/10 04:50 PM

as you can see this has always been fun I am making sure to save this thread.
I forgot about doing that with the ones in the past.
That way it can be read again when new ones are added.

When you send your seat belts out for recertification
make sure you install them before going to the track
and didn't leave them at home on your tool box.

DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/05/10 05:01 PM

When you finally get a car put together after a long winter,don't get too excited and while unloading the car,"whip" the hook off of the tie down to release it from the car.It might go into the radiator and keep you from even unloading the car any further.
DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW!
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/05/10 05:19 PM

When racing against the class champion who has always been 3 seconds faster than you, don't forget you have your other car and are almost heads-up. That way when he leaves right after you and paces you all the way down, you don't think you're late and breaking out a ton and give the stripe back. DAMHIK
Posted By: topside

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/05/10 05:52 PM

It's always a good idea to at least take a peek at the trailer ramps before backing the car off, especially if you've been distracted and only 1 ramp is down...

Don't ask me how I know...
Posted By: moparniac

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/05/10 05:55 PM

Never ask how to set pinion angle around here!

dont ask me how I know!
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/05/10 06:02 PM

Quote:

Dont pee in a Mt Dew bottle.. and no.. I dont know..
Posted By: B Dartman

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/05/10 06:20 PM

If at some point in time in your life you require the use of a rented storage unit for working on your car because you don't have a garage and you had to walk to get there cause maybe at that point in life it was your only vehicle and they hadn't invented cell phones yet, make sure you at least know where the nearest convenient store is for those sudden and unexpected urges to have a movement (if you know what I mean).

DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW
Posted By: Super Scamp

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/05/10 06:27 PM

When asking Moparts members about "Double Bulbing" on the starting line or sportman staging Think Again!!

Attached picture 6339316-2010TT002.jpg
Posted By: blown572dart

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/05/10 06:51 PM

Don't leave anything that can be considered spare parts at home. Don't ask me how we know
Posted By: rebel

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/05/10 06:52 PM

when you've modified the plenum on your new Indy intake manifold & got it looking absolutely immaculate, don't send it off for coating before checking the faces seal up against the head, just because it arrived from ICH with a nice machined surface doesn't mean it's perfectly flat & is going to seal. ask me how i know?
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/05/10 06:52 PM

while lying on your back under the column shift steering column..and you unbolt all of the bolts/nuts holding the column..and lower it down.
dont forget that lowering the column moves the shifter linkage..causing the car to come out of park...and will cause the car to roll down the driveway...
and definately dont do this just as you 5yr old child comes over and stands at the open drivers door..to see whats up...
but if you do..this...quickly slam the column back up into position this will return it to park and stop the car from rolling backwards...
almost rendering you fatherless..

definately chock the wheels first..

dont ask me how i know this....shweeeew...

cheapst.
Posted By: SILVER67

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/05/10 06:58 PM

Make sure you know for certain that all of your flat tappet lifers are spinning in the bores before you degree the cam, and button the entire engine together...............

Michael
Posted By: moparmanjames

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/05/10 07:20 PM

When checking your neutral safety switch at the track, don't forget to put your car back into "Park" before making a quick run to the parts store.

DONT ASK ME HOW I KNOW
Posted By: Bill MeLater

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/05/10 07:51 PM

"Tai" And "Thai" are definately not the same thing...

Attached picture 6339537-001s.jpg
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/05/10 07:56 PM

When backing out of your trailer and the car comes to
a stop dont pull forward and try it faster this time...
it MAY tear the collectors off your headers
DONT ASK ME HOW T KNOW

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/05/10 10:26 PM

Quote:

Don't leave anything that can be considered spare parts at home. Don't ask me how we know

Not exactly what I expected .
Posted By: Dart Racer

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/05/10 11:14 PM

And always make sure you lock down the trailer on the ball hitch before you back the car off.......

Don't ask me how I know!!!
Posted By: Commando1

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/05/10 11:16 PM

Do not go to C-body forums with clutch questions.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/05/10 11:21 PM

don`t lift a complete engine out of the back of a truck with a engine hoist partially sitting in the dirt

DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW!
Posted By: Mopar_racer_99

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/05/10 11:39 PM

When coming back home for a race dont assume the road is a little rough, it could be the trailer tire shredding apart. dont ask me how I know..........as I pull into a steak and shake parking lot to eat. John
Posted By: mopardamo

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/05/10 11:56 PM

When you go to your favorite gas station and pull up to your favorite pump and proceed to put a full tankof gas in your cummins powered truck after a party. Drive it home and never batt an eye. Kinds makes some nice white smoke the next morning.

Don't ask me how I know.

Damon
Posted By: Mopar-Al

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/06/10 12:29 AM

Never trust your 11 yr old son to put air in your slicks, with out checking yourself, when 60 footin a 1.29 and there's 8 lbs in one slick and 28 in the other and your front end is 3 ft in the air...ask me how I know
Posted By: Leon441

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/06/10 12:35 AM

You are running an index class and need to slow down a little more. All of your tricks are in a MSD 7531 box like huge timing retard in low gear only. Don't get happy and lower the shift point without first looking at the value you have in RPM drop to recognize high gear. Pulling 22 degrees in low gear slow you down a lot. Pull the normal 22 degrees in low go to high and the engine is not coming back to life. [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean]. 7,800 converter. 8,100 shift point. RPM drop to recognize high gear 400. Still pulling 22 degree in high gear. Instead of running 5.95 you just ran a 6.60.

DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW
Posted By: blown572dart

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/06/10 12:37 AM

Make sure you fire bottle shipping screws are removed before running the car.

Don't ask me how we know

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/06/10 12:39 AM

You are still running an index class with a MSD 7531 for your tricks. You first decide to run on the DOTS. You are testing and running dead on. Next day qualify under. OK just shift sooner. The car picks up a tenth. You just jumped off the rev limiter now that you are in high gear. 5.80 on a 6.00 you probably just lost the race.

DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW
Posted By: mikeysmopars

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/06/10 12:39 AM

your 12 year old son wants to help you change the gears on your 70 challenger convertible, you go gather tools and come back to see the car three feet in the air...... jacked up from the fuel tank!!
ASK ME HOW I KNOW!

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/06/10 12:41 AM

Still index racing MSD 7531 Yata Yata Yata. Still running the DOTS but scared to shift early. Pull a ton of timing in low gear. Car does not run hard enough to hit the DOTS but is way to fast. First round of ellimination. What to do What to do.

DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/06/10 12:45 AM

Still running the index. Got all the MSD 7531 down pat. Running dead on 6.001, 6.003. Nothing can go wrong. Racing a combo race 6.00 agains 7.00. Mopar in the other lane running 7.0. Its the finals. Do the burnout stage car cuts off. [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean]. Fuel pump just took a dump.

Get home and realize the fuel pump fuse in the ARC panel is blown. Put another one in blows again. Start digging. The wire is pinched where it exits the panel.

When testing and the ARC panel opens up going down track. You are running 150 MPH 1/4 mile don't just reach up and close the panel and tighten the screw. It may have just pinched the wire later causing problems at the worse time.

DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/06/10 01:49 AM

After buying the wrong lights for the christmas tree and you have to go back to exchange them don't forget to bring your wallet, don't ask me how I know.
Posted By: kdhull

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/06/10 02:06 AM

OK ,Farmington,NC tunnel ram 440 first pass 6.12
qualified.32 car field
2nd pass 6.55 skipping on top end bring car back pull plugs,valve covers,intake then heads finally call it a night. get up next day.pulled dist with wires and cap attached open cap rotor broke.
DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW!!
Posted By: Two Lane

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/06/10 03:33 AM

When pulling the car off the trailer and using the secretary of your garage to guide you off.. never assume that she looked at both sides while backing off or you may have the left front of the car get stuck in the middle of the trailer..DAMHIK!!!
Posted By: Two Lane

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/06/10 03:35 AM

Quote:

And always make sure you lock down the trailer on the ball hitch before you back the car off.......

Don't ask me how I know!!!

I second this one!! hard to get the trailer back on the ball with out using 3 big friends
Posted By: Adobedude

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/06/10 03:39 AM

Don't put a live .22 cartrige in a wadd of silly putty and bounce it on the tile floor.

Not car related, but DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW
Posted By: savoyracer

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/06/10 03:44 AM

Quote:

............I imagine it took awhile to get that taste out
Posted By: fasteddie

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/06/10 04:26 AM

All Cars REQUIRE the oil filter to be in place before priming the engine.

DO NOT ASK ME HOW I KNOW

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/06/10 06:32 AM

If you install a transmission temperature gauge into one of those aluminum blocks make sure the bulb from the gauge does not block the fluid's flow . If not your trans will read hot

DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW

Posted By: mopardamo

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/06/10 06:41 AM

Don't park your truck on a hillside at camp and allow your buddy to shoot up the hillside with an SKS in the middle of the night. Makes a mess of the body, glass and wiring harness.

Don't ask me how I know!

Damon
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/06/10 01:23 PM

Quote:

It's always a good idea to at least take a peek at the trailer ramps before backing the car off, especially if you've been distracted and only 1 ramp is down...

Don't ask me how I know...

I did that once! LOL!!
Posted By: The_Mean_Machine

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/06/10 03:53 PM

Quote:

DO NOT ASK ME HOW I KNOW

...and the gauge for oil press concted
DAMHIK
Posted By: The Cuda Guy

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/06/10 03:57 PM

If you think you have a lifter ticking at idle that gets worse with RPM before you replace all your lifters make sure you check your header gaskets for leaks....

DONT ASK ME HOW I KNOW!!!

Don
Posted By: moparmanjames

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/06/10 04:44 PM

Always remember to put your hood pins in before making the mad dash for the racing fuel truck's last call...

DONT ASK ME HOW I KNOW
Posted By: Crizila

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/06/10 06:27 PM

When you are all done with that compression test, don't forget to remove the screw driver you jambed down the carb to hold the throttle blades open - before you fire it up. DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW!!!
Posted By: mopartoby

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/06/10 08:00 PM

when working in a shop with a die hard chevy mechanic, watching him put the intake on with the paper towel still in the intake ports of the heads!!! all the while keeping a straight face untill he starts it!!!! ASK ME HOW I KNOW !!!
Posted By: 6pak2go

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/06/10 09:07 PM

When replacing an intake gasket on a small block six-pack, after cleaning the bottom of the intake sealing surfaces with a red shop towel, make sure the towel is not stuck to the bottom of the intake when you pick it up and place it back on the engine.

DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW!
Posted By: Adobedude

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/06/10 10:19 PM

Quote:

If you think you have a lifter ticking at idle that gets worse with RPM before you replace all your lifters make sure you check your header gaskets for leaks....

DONT ASK ME HOW I KNOW!!!

Don

I know...
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/06/10 10:51 PM

Quote:

When replacing an intake gasket on a small block six-pack, after cleaning the bottom of the intake sealing surfaces with a red shop towel, make sure the towel is not stuck to the bottom of the intake when you pick it up and place it back on the engine.

DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW!

Just gotta say, I never let red shop rags get anywhere close to my motors. Always lintfree paper towels. Red rags will cost you eventually if you use them around motors.
Posted By: sanger440

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/07/10 12:29 AM

When transporting your SB Mopar engine from your old house to your new house on an engine stand, make sure it is not a cheap ass harbor freight engine stand. Even if it is strapped down tightly in a very nice enclosed trailer a couple of ill timed bumps across some RR tracks on the way to the new house will fatigue the chinese crap steel arms on the engine stand and cause some real damage.

DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW
Posted By: emarine01

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/07/10 02:08 AM

Don't think you cant brake a breaker bar just cause its 3/4 drive Don't ask me how I know
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/08/10 04:25 AM

Quote:

DO NOT ASK ME HOW I KNOW

Dang Eddie, I thought I was the only one to pull that bone headed move. At least I'm in good company!
And it makes one mell of a hess to clean up when you're already in a hurry. DAMHIK!

Brian Dunnigan
Posted By: Mike Swann

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/08/10 04:49 AM

Being nagged while assembling a motor, then find out that you left out a wrist pin button when you let go of the TB and have a set of 40's in it.

Attached picture 6344693-DSC04845[1].jpg
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/08/10 12:39 PM

If you feel the trailer "bump" you when you hit the brakes, then jerk when you take off, you probably forgot to tie one end of the race car down,,,,,,,,, DAHIK!
Posted By: Dartin

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/08/10 02:56 PM

Make sure the activation switch for the nitrous system is turned off before you pump the gas to start the car..... Ask me how I know.....

Randy
Posted By: BradH

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/08/10 03:13 PM

If you don't remove the rubber gasket that fits between the air cleaner and carb when you replace the filter w/ your fresh-air pan at the track, it WILL find a way to get sucked into the carb and jam your throttle wide open around the 1000-ft. mark.

DAMHIK
Posted By: BBR

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/08/10 03:33 PM

When removing an engine with a hoist and it slowly becomes harder to operate the jack, check to make sure the dipstick tube is not hung and is now bent at a 90 deg angle.

DAMHIK

Also, if you are assembling the bottom end of you engine and your kids are arguing outside your shop, ignore them. Because if you go out there, you might leave one connecting rod un-torqued and that might lead to a turned bearing and cracked cylinder wall, which might lead to a sleeve being installed, which might lead to said sleeve failing, which might lead to total motor destruction, which might lead you to sell the entire project car and get a different one altogether.

DAMHIK!!!!
Posted By: silverfish

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/08/10 04:13 PM

Don't let any part of your finger/hand touch the spark plug while checking for fire with an MSD ignition.

DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW!

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/08/10 05:24 PM

whenever you have added a new crew guy to the mix assume nothing you could be in the lanes and run out of fuel.

DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW
Posted By: mopar_to_ya

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/08/10 10:09 PM

When installing an all steel (fresh) big block into your (freshly painted) all new car and your Brother ask you if the chain on the hoist is strong enough for a bigblock AND 727 , DON'T assume it will just because it has been it's THE ONE you have always used!!! The oil pan, the trans case, the rad support, and the garage floor will all pay dearly. Thanks to my Dad, the car didn't get destroyed, And Nobody got hurt.
DAMHIK
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/08/10 10:16 PM

While using your dads nice enclosed trailer, and at the local ralley enjoying the cars, ladies, and bikes sitting under the awning. Make sure that when you pack up, and head for home the awning "safety" pins are in place or it becomes a HUGE expensive 75 mph kite!!

Dont ask me how I know!!!
Posted By: mopar_to_ya

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/08/10 10:21 PM

this is from my Son, lol

When performing an oil change on your jeep cherokee, make sure you use the filter for the jeep, and not the one for Dad's minivan, because when you THINK it's tight on the first thread, , you just might pump out all 5 quarts of Valvoline on the driveway when you start it up!!!
don't ask him how he knows,lol

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/09/10 02:45 AM

Here's the funny part Brian, I've done it twice, but in my defense it was about 20 years apart.

I think you know about this one, Brian.

When you are running 2 classes, one on the 1/8th mile, the other 1/4 mile, don't forget which class you are running so you don't slam on the brakes at half track.

DON'T ASK BRIAN HOW HE KNOWS!

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/09/10 03:10 AM

do not for any reason abandon your working style i.e. keeping all the tools in the racks if not in yours hands. Same for nuts,bolts etc. as they are removed at least put them in a magentic tray.,

that way you won't forget there was a little plug on the Accusump that when missing shoots great amounts of oil all over the engine

DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/09/10 04:03 AM

Quote:

I think you know about this one, Brian.

When you are running 2 classes, one on the 1/8th mile, the other 1/4 mile, don't forget which class you are running so you don't slam on the brakes at half track.

DON'T ASK BRIAN HOW HE KNOWS!

And I thought my wife would be the only one to remember that one, Eddie. Haha.

Something else I learned on that pass, was that there are a lot more people watching me race than I thought there was.

Brian Dunnigan
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/09/10 04:33 AM

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/09/10 05:47 PM

Dang, Bill. It wasn't THAT funny. Well, maybe it was. Except to my crew chief. She wasn't laughing.

I saw someone do that at the Mopar show in Clay City the year before and I thought it was hilarious. Then I did it at Bristol the week after I ran two classes and got a W and a RU. Not so funny then.
And now ya'll don't have to ask me how I know.
Brian Dunnigan
Posted By: WILD CARD

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/10/10 01:43 AM

That's not why he's laughing. Here's mine. When practicing the fine art of lifting at the stripe, make sure your the car in the lead!

Don't ask me how I know.

By the way, I was driving, not Bill.

Larry (aka Bill's dad)
Posted By: Shoozy

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/10/10 01:51 AM

When you and your buddy are racing together and going rounds, don't get caught up in the moment and put the 9.90 dial in on the 10.90 car...DAMHIK

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/10/10 01:51 AM

Hi Larry (Wild Card),
One day Bill may be old too. HaHaHa.
Brian Dunnigan
Posted By: WILD CARD

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/10/10 02:34 AM

He'll be old before his time running this race team

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/10/10 02:43 AM

Posted By: Dads426

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/10/10 02:44 AM

Quote:

If you don't remove the rubber gasket that fits between the air cleaner and carb when you replace the filter w/ your fresh-air pan at the track, it WILL find a way to get sucked into the carb and jam your throttle wide open around the 1000-ft. mark.

DAMHIK

Ditto. Happened in the 64 Street/Strip Plymouth. Not fun feeling when the rpms don't come completely down (ask the boy).

Also, don't rush to the starting line after tech and forget to put the hood pins in or you will win the altitude portion contest that day.

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/10/10 02:51 AM

And just to show I'm not immune to my own stupidity,

Please folks,

Remember that when you buy your daughter's first race car, that just because you add oil just after draining it does not mean every one else does.

DAMHIK

Also bear in mind, that after said SNAFU was rectified and oil added doesn't mean you didn't hurt something.

I don't care how many carbs you put on or how many jet changes you do to said carbs.

It's not a carb problem.

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/10/10 03:05 AM

Quote:

LORD TELL WHY WOULD WE EVER THINK THAT
Posted By: cjs69mope

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/10/10 03:14 AM

when trying to find the right drop base air cleaner to fit when closing the hood make sure you don't assume the drop base from summit is the same as the one that worked fine yesterday from you dads car! !It will defiantly ruin your fresh hard to match custom yellow paint job and your day when the wing nut on the air cleaner dent up the center of the hood and cracks the paint .

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/10/10 05:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

LORD TELL WHY WOULD WE EVER THINK THAT

Posted By: sr4440

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/10/10 01:34 PM

When pulling a large gooseneck trailer with a Cummins turbo diesel, the trailer will pull exactly the same all the way to the track, (125 miles) with or without the 1800 lbs roadster in back.
DAMHIK

Joe
Posted By: notchbackcuda

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/10/10 02:10 PM

Quote:

Don't bleed brake fluid in a mountain dew bottle

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/10/10 02:29 PM

this thread has had over 2100 views yet only 85 posts.
I am amazed at how many are innocent and have nothing to add.
Posted By: dc426

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/10/10 02:45 PM

When checking the fluid level in your Dana 60 which has a slight cover leak. Never insert a "ringed finger" into the cover hole to fish around and see what the fluid level is. You will ultimately have to fashion a hooked wire to "fish" said ring from said finger out.

Don't ask me how I know!
DC
Posted By: 540challenger

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/10/10 02:57 PM

Just b/c the day before you left the hood unlatched and opened a few inches to pull the transmission when you get in the next day. Don't ASSume the next day that it is still open as your boss may have closed it after you left, so when you go to R&R the transmission the next day you will put a nice dent on the hood where the air cleaner stud is now pressing into your hood
Posted By: Mpetros

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/11/10 04:40 AM

After installing a new Engine, Be sure to remember to install the battery hold down before taking up the road for a test drive. Or the battery could end up upside down on the header with a hole melted in it and the positive terminal stuck to the header.

Don't ask Me how I know
Posted By: Dago Red

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/11/10 05:18 AM

I always light the top bulb, then pop the shifter into neutral (clean the plugs!!) then pop 'er back into FIRST gear, so as not to have left the tranny in THIRD gear after the burnout. Leaving in third gear REALLY kills the 60'. Don't ask me how I know......
Posted By: Kyle Reasbeck

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/11/10 05:53 AM

when at the racetrack, don't blow your nose in front of a camera, dont ask fred how he knows lol

Attached picture 6350418-merrychristmas.jpg

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/11/10 06:12 AM

Quote:

when at the racetrack, don't blow your nose in front of a camera, dont ask fred how he knows lol

BLOW IT ???? TRY HOLD IT.
we just drove by the hog pen and were warning oncomers

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/11/10 09:50 PM

Quote:

When pulling a large gooseneck trailer with a Cummins turbo diesel, the trailer will pull exactly the same all the way to the track, (125 miles) with or without the 1800 lbs roadster in back.
DAMHIK

Joe

This one HAS to be the winner. I can imagine the look on your face when you opened the trailer door at the track and the car was GONE!
Posted By: JACK1440

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/11/10 10:52 PM

you have to circulate the anti-freeze thru the indy ez's or the ice will crack them between the exhaust ports....

don't ask me how I know.
Posted By: racerx

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/11/10 11:51 PM

Quote:

Don't think you cant brake a breaker bar just cause its 3/4 drive Don't ask me how I know

especially a Harbor freight bar
Posted By: superwrench

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/12/10 04:05 AM

Quote:

When you are all done with that compression test, don't forget to remove the screw driver you jambed down the carb to hold the throttle blades open - before you fire it up. DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW!!!

...Definitely gets your adrenelin going don't it!!!!
Bin-there-done-that!!
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/12/10 04:46 AM

Remember to bring your trailer keys with you to the
track... the back door locks do get pricey... and hard
to find bolt cutters at the track... dont ask how I know
Posted By: rook440

Re: DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW - 12/17/10 03:59 AM

© 2024 Moparts Forums