Moparts

Help me solve an arguement...

Posted By: DemonDust

Help me solve an arguement... - 12/04/10 07:56 AM

My buddy and I are arguing about a very simple subject I think... I could be wrong.

I'm trying to convince him that on a steel block, aluminum headed engine, as it warms up the lash loosens up. He tells me it gets tighter.

Please tell me I'm right
Posted By: Kevins493

Re: Help me solve an arguement... - 12/04/10 07:56 AM

you are correct. Easiest argument to make is the aluminum heads expand at a much higher rate (vs temp) than the steel or moly pushrods. I believe cast iron does as well. just not looking it up now. so basically you are making the pushrod seem "shorter" in relation to the distance between the lifter and the rocker (or technically adjuster) so you have more clearance.
Posted By: BCFKody

Re: Help me solve an arguement... - 12/04/10 08:00 AM

You're right. In my experience the lash loosens up .004 - .005 of an inch.
Posted By: DemonDust

Re: Help me solve an arguement... - 12/04/10 08:04 AM

Thanks guys I haven't adjusted lash since last winter and my memory was foggy... Getting ready to race soon and it brought the conversation up....
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Help me solve an arguement... - 12/04/10 08:04 AM

My experiance with aluminum headed iron block engines is the valve lash opens up as the engine gets hotter. I normally set the cold lash at 0.006"/0.008" on the old 451 with B-1 b/S heads.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Help me solve an arguement... - 12/04/10 08:10 AM

Your correct, aluminum expands eight times more than steel and cast iron when heated to the same temperatures as each other Google aluminum expansion rates, one of my old Crane Cam catalogs says to set the lash .002 loose when setting the valves on a cold cast iron motor, set them .006 tighter cold with aluminum heads on a cast iron block and set them .012 tighter cold on a aluminum block with aluminum heads. I found that information to be accurate on the first all aluminum street Hemi motor I built and on many other mtors since with iron blocks and aluminum heads you do want to check each motor to make sure those settings is what that motor needs and wants
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Help me solve an arguement... - 12/04/10 03:04 PM

Yeah I use .006 as the cold/hot difference.. then I
also run my lash .010 tighter than spec calls for
but still with the .006 difference
Posted By: HPMike

Re: Help me solve an arguement... - 12/04/10 03:17 PM

Even though it's a pain at times, I always make a point of checking the lash hot. That's what the engine actually sees, so it makes the most sense. Eliminates the guesswork.

Minor lash variations can make some significant horsepower swings(both ways) on some engines, so it's always a good idea to have this ironed out.

MB
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Help me solve an arguement... - 12/04/10 03:21 PM

NEVER HEARD OF ANY METAL SHRINKING IN HEAT
Posted By: Big Squeeze

Re: Help me solve an arguement... - 12/04/10 04:43 PM

Quote:

Even though it's a pain at times, I always make a point of checking the lash hot. That's what the engine actually sees, so it makes the most sense. Eliminates the guesswork.

Minor lash variations can make some significant horsepower swings(both ways) on some engines, so it's always a good idea to have this ironed out.

MB

X2...... The way I explain it is that since the aluminum expands so much, it's actually pulling the rocker arms away from the block......
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Help me solve an arguement... - 12/04/10 04:49 PM

Check lash hot on one cyl. Recheck cold, calibrate the other 7 holes to that one. Not my tip, I got it here from another member.
Posted By: emarine01

Re: Help me solve an arguement... - 12/04/10 05:51 PM

Quote:

also run my lash .010 tighter than spec calls for
but still with the .006 difference

I guess you dont like roller cam valve chatter
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Help me solve an arguement... - 12/04/10 05:58 PM

Quote:

Quote: