Moparts

Old School Front Spring Hanger?

Posted By: gearhead01

Old School Front Spring Hanger? - 12/01/10 03:01 AM

I am wondering, has anyone everseen this arrangement for front spring hangers?

I bought the car with this arrangement. Old school bracket car from Maryland.

I did not think much about it until i figured out the two front spring bolts are 1/2" differint in location. The geometry has to be weird because the instant center is going to be low and way out in front of the car.

Needless to say, these hangers are coming out, and proper front spring hanger welded into the frame.

John

Attached picture 6329550-2010.11.28RearSuspenion010.jpg
Posted By: dvw

Re: Old School Front Spring Hanger? - 12/01/10 03:19 AM

Having the hole that low would take rise out. I would think a leaf spring car would need the mount high not low. Unless it was a special application with a ton of power. I know my 11.00 street car runs the stock front hanger mounted upside down to raise the attachment point. Has gone 1.54 with stock leaf springs with added leafs.
Doug
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Old School Front Spring Hanger? - 12/01/10 03:25 AM

The front bolt is still the IC length... that doesnt
change but the height would

Re: Old School Front Spring Hanger? - 12/01/10 04:00 AM

To compensate for the lower spring bolt location, they put a 2" lowering block on the SS springs.

The front spring boxes that arrived today from RMS have four sets of holes. Normal height and 1-1/8" higher to move the location up. Then another set 1-1/2" back, to lengthen the wheel base slightly. I am planning to go high and stretched out.

Does not seem like anyone has ever seen this mounting. Must be the easy way out not soem old trick.

John
Posted By: rockerbob

Re: Old School Front Spring Hanger? - 12/01/10 04:18 AM

Looks like a quick & easy way to move the springs inboard for tire clearance to me.

Re: Old School Front Spring Hanger? - 12/01/10 04:24 AM

It does look easy. And the round tubing subframe connector also works easy as well.

I went to look at a Dana last winter. The guy had cut a pocket hole in the bottom of the frame, bowed out one side and drilled a hole through and slipped the front spring eye up into the pocket.

John
© 2024 Moparts Forums