Moparts

T/S Duster

Posted By: JCRVETTE

T/S Duster - 11/28/10 02:44 PM

I am sure most of you have seen the build thread on the bullet by now, but for those who haven't and are interested, here are a few pics of it. I had started a build thread here at the beginning, but trying to do the one on the bullet and here proved to be overwhelming for a computer illiterate. The motor in the pics is the owners bracket motor. He has a Best Machine built 588 predator with two speedtech kits that is going to dyno Monday. We took it to SGMP yesterday, not to run it, but to help the owner and one of his crew members get used to the car. We did pretty much everything you would do at a race, except there was no pressure or stress to perform, just take the time necessary to make a plan. We also fired up the grill, kicked back and watched the world go by. It was a nice change of pace from all the late hours. A couple hour drive seemed like a vacation. We still have to do the set-up and a few other things to completely finish the car, but the new motor will be here soon and we'll take care of all that then.
The car is a 25.1E spec chassis, factory steel 1/4s, roof and rear body panel. The rest of the body is fiberglass. W/B is 4" longer than stock, And as you'll notice several modifications to the front fiberglass nose. It weighs 2238 w/o driver. Feel free to ask any other questions, I'll answer them if I can. Paul

Posted By: Ari440

Re: T/S Duster - 11/28/10 02:46 PM

VERY NICE
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: T/S Duster - 11/28/10 02:49 PM

hey I drove that car in it's prior life car looks great Paul what an outstanding job Tommy has to be very proud to own that beast
Posted By: DragDart360

Re: T/S Duster - 11/28/10 02:50 PM

SA WEET
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: T/S Duster - 11/28/10 03:02 PM

OUTSTANDING

Re: T/S Duster - 11/28/10 03:03 PM

Quote:

hey I drove that car in it's prior life car looks great Paul what an outstanding job Tommy has to be very proud to own that beast

Thanks for the compliments guys. Hey Tony, I met some other people at SGMP yesterday that drove it/knew you. Don't remember their names, but they (two brothers) bought it from Furman (?) I guess and knew you and alot of history on this car. Was cool to hear the stories.
Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: T/S Duster - 11/28/10 03:13 PM

Nice to see more people flying the MOPAR banner in the faster classes.

Attached picture 6324751-2010USNationals075.jpg
Posted By: Hitman340

Re: T/S Duster - 11/28/10 03:14 PM

Thank you for posting all the pictures that is true eye candy.Will this car be running IHRA or NHRA and in what Div.

Attached picture 6324752-70Duster#3.jpg

Re: T/S Duster - 11/28/10 03:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the compliments guys. Hey Tony, I met some other people at SGMP yesterday that drove it/knew you. Don't remember their names, but they (two brothers) bought it from Furman (?) I guess and knew you and alot of history on this car. Was cool to hear the stories.

yea that car started life as a race car in the early 80s. we took ir right off of Furmans used car lot. put a pretty much stock BB in it. I think it ran 8s in the 1/8 and progressed from there. ended up having a local guy do a backhalf on it (not the best in the world but it worked some what we ran 6.40s 1/8 low 10s 1/4. not real fast but not bad for back then. won many races in that car.

Re: T/S Duster - 11/28/10 03:29 PM

I'm not sure exactly what his plans are with it, probably just local stuff for now, his plate is pretty full.

Re: T/S Duster - 11/28/10 03:35 PM

Here is a link to the entire build thread from yellow bullet if anyone would like to see it. Lots of pics and explanations for those who may not have ever seen anything like this get built before. For those who been around this type of build, ignore the simplistic descriptions of the process
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210685
Posted By: Deepockets

Re: T/S Duster - 11/28/10 04:06 PM

now thats the shyt! that is one hot ride going on there.
Posted By: tubtar

Re: T/S Duster - 11/28/10 04:10 PM

That is a very nice looking race car.
Best of luck shaking it down.........it looks near 200 m.p.h. just sitting still.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: T/S Duster - 11/28/10 04:12 PM

Now that there is a nice car!!
Posted By: DusterDave

Re: T/S Duster - 11/28/10 04:12 PM

I followed the Bullet thread from page 1. Thank you for that informative and enjoyable build thread. The pictures speak volumes about your skill and creativity, as well as the others who contributed to the project, like the artist who did the incredible airbrush work.
Posted By: goody340g

Re: T/S Duster - 11/28/10 04:14 PM

nice car, i don't think i could have taken it to the track and not raced it though.
Posted By: Whompin_Wedge

Re: T/S Duster - 11/28/10 06:24 PM

Awesome car!

So much better than the composite body. Looks great!

Casey
Posted By: silverfish

Re: T/S Duster - 11/28/10 06:42 PM

Very nice! I've been following that car build on the bullet and the level of craftsmanship on it is second to none.

Re: T/S Duster - 11/28/10 07:44 PM

Thanks for the kind words. In response to the composite body, in spite of that body being light and more aero, you have just that. A body out of a mold that was never a car (not that I'm against that at all) but this one has a lot of history as a race car, and also as someones personal transportation when new. As far as cost effective, well you could have bought one of those bodies with the cost of the mods to this one. There is ALOT more than meets the eye to this body. If you haven't seen the build thread, you'd be surprised at all the places that have been moved/changed.
So, I agree. Much better than the composite body, especially for what the owner was looking for. And, the weight comes in about right to run T/S if he chooses, so all is well.
Posted By: bigdad

Re: T/S Duster - 11/28/10 08:16 PM

The owner has to be proud, very nice !

Can't wait to see your next project Paul
Posted By: Whompin_Wedge

Re: T/S Duster - 11/28/10 08:23 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the kind words. In response to the composite body, in spite of that body being light and more aero, you have just that. A body out of a mold that was never a car (not that I'm against that at all) but this one has a lot of history as a race car, and also as someones personal transportation when new. As far as cost effective, well you could have bought one of those bodies with the cost of the mods to this one. There is ALOT more than meets the eye to this body. If you haven't seen the build thread, you'd be surprised at all the places that have been moved/changed.
So, I agree. Much better than the composite body, especially for what the owner was looking for. And, the weight comes in about right to run T/S if he chooses, so all is well.

Yea I have been following that thread on the bullet from the beginning!

awesome job.

I just like the looks of this car better than the composite body. It looks much more like the real car. Its just awesome.

Casey
Posted By: toddd

Re: T/S Duster - 11/28/10 10:11 PM

Absolutely beautiful....
Posted By: DavidDean

Re: T/S Duster - 11/28/10 10:49 PM

Very Nice! thanks for the pics and all the build pics at the bullet
Posted By: MegaDart

Re: T/S Duster - 11/28/10 10:59 PM

Beautiful car and thanks for posting it here. There are still a few of us that do not frequent the bullet!

Will that car be campaigned in Div2 TS?? If so looking forward to seeing it!

Quote:

oh you mean like the chevy powered duster you posted??
Not that there is anything wrong with that! Heck, I'd probably do the same thing!lol

Re: T/S Duster - 11/28/10 11:23 PM

Quote:

Beautiful car and thanks for posting it here. There are still a few of us that do not frequent the bullet!

Will that car be campaigned in Div2 TS?? If so looking forward to seeing it!

Quote:

Not that there is anything wrong with that! Heck, I'd probably do the same thing!lol

Yes, div 2.
I tried to get him to do a BBC I had found a 738 Fulton with 3 kits, fresh, still at fultons for alot less than that new 588 predator. The owner, Tommy Crowder, said he would keep it all Mopar in spite of that good deal on the 738. So props to him eh? I even (insert bashing here LOL) told him there was a reason BBC cars had double frame rails. He still was sold on the BBM.
The bullet has alot of good stuff going on, but there is ALOT of BAD stuff to so not frequenting the bullet is probably a good thing you don't want to get hooked on something you wouldn't want your wife or kids seeing.
Thanks again guys!
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: T/S Duster - 11/29/10 03:27 AM

i also was following along from day one.
thanks for reminding me ..i was last up to page 40
glad to see it finished and thanks for the heads up...
i almost went to SGMP this weekend..

you did/do and excellent job
cheapst.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: T/S Duster - 11/29/10 03:36 AM

that is one bad a$$ looking ride

Re: T/S Duster - 11/29/10 04:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I had no idea. US Nationals. That's as close as I got to it.

Figures, Sonny Leonard BBC.
Posted By: 493_DART

Re: T/S Duster - 11/29/10 06:28 AM

WWWOOWWW !!!!

Posted By: Georg

Re: T/S Duster - 11/29/10 07:24 AM

This car is real badass! Very nice and clean!
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: T/S Duster - 11/29/10 02:39 PM

Great job.....car is beautiful.
Posted By: blown572dart

Re: T/S Duster - 11/29/10 03:01 PM

Looks great Paul. Tommy should be very pleased.
Posted By: StrokerAspen

Re: T/S Duster - 11/29/10 03:13 PM

Wow! That thing is a work of art! Nice work!

One question, is the Preditor engine in the car? It looks like a conventional headed BBM in the pictures.

-Kenny
Posted By: fishy340

Re: T/S Duster - 11/29/10 03:40 PM

one word say it all..WOW.. awesome craftsmanship,and for that i give you a

Re: T/S Duster - 11/29/10 05:04 PM

Quote:

One question, is the Preditor engine in the car? It looks like a conventional headed BBM in the pictures.

-Kenny

no thats a test/bracket motor in it now. big motor should be on the dyno today..
Posted By: StrokerAspen

Re: T/S Duster - 11/29/10 05:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

-Kenny

no thats a test/bracket motor in it now. big motor should be on the dyno today..

Cool, that's kind of what I figured. Good way to iron out the little details with the car. Man is that one nice looking machine!

-EDIT- I see it is all explained in the first post. Sorry, I hadn't had my morning coffee yet when I read it.

-Kenny
Posted By: fishy340

Re: T/S Duster - 11/29/10 11:26 PM

be nice to see you and s/st 3040 at the same event his car is also mint..u 2 have the nicest dusters i've seen hands down

Re: T/S Duster - 11/29/10 11:56 PM

Quote:

be nice to see you and s/st 3040 at the same event his car is also mint..u 2 have the nicest dusters i've seen hands down

If I had the money for that car, I'd just buy a SS/AH Barracuda.

I was spectating at the US Nationals. (Dennis Radford's Car)

Re: T/S Duster - 11/30/10 03:09 AM

Thanks again for all the kind words and compliments. I told the owner it was up here, and he found it. He says thanks also, he really appreciates it. This was a life long dream for him to do something like this, and to hear the comments and see the interest makes it all the more special. Thanks again from both of us. Paul

Re: T/S Duster - 11/30/10 03:10 AM

Quote:

Thanks again for all the kind words and compliments. I told the owner it was up here, and he found it. He says thanks also, he really appreciates it. This was a life long dream for him to do something like this, and to hear the comments and see the interest makes it all the more special. Thanks again from both of us. Paul

hey what about dyno numbers

Re: T/S Duster - 11/30/10 03:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

If I had the money for that car, I'd just buy a SS/AH Barracuda.

I was spectating at the US Nationals. (Dennis Radford's Car)

honestly..Paul.if i had 70 grand ...id be knockin on your door. I love to support the "underdog/little guy"..and with the work you did on that duster..
there is no ..settling on 2nd anything.
id put a SS/A hemi in it and be..very content..
It would be the way I want it..
and you are definately the guy that makes that happen..
a great looking car..with an excellent execution of a plan..
only mine would be a little different color green..

keep up the good work..i hope you get more customers like Tommy...(i have a feeling you will)

cheapst
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: T/S Duster - 11/30/10 07:44 PM

Very, Very nice car!

You make mine look like junk.

I also have a 498 B1-BS headed motor in mine to get going and a Predator 596 in the works. I'm going to try the B/Gas class in Heritage Series and then maybe the A/Gas class. Someday I will have pictures to share. I did steal some of your ideas....

Any dyno numbers on the Predator yet?
Posted By: B1Fish540

Re: T/S Duster - 11/30/10 08:28 PM

would llike to see it with the Pred motor sittin in there!
Posted By: dvw

Re: T/S Duster - 12/01/10 03:33 AM

I pride myself on doing most of my own work. Not being a pro I learn as I go. The pictures on the Bullet show not only high quality but a real eye to detail as well. I only wish I had your talent. It was also interesting to see Todds Capri in your shop. We hung out together when we younger. My hair had color and he still had his.
Doug

Re: T/S Duster - 12/01/10 01:35 PM

Quote:

Very, Very nice car!

You make mine look like junk.

I also have a 498 B1-BS headed motor in mine to get going and a Predator 596 in the works. I'm going to try the B/Gas class in Heritage Series and then maybe the A/Gas class. Someday I will have pictures to share. I did steal some of your ideas....

Any dyno numbers on the Predator yet?

Thanks. Can't wait to see your pics. All my ideas are "free" to the taking, thats one of the reasons I put detailed pics up on the bullet. I'm in real tight with Bickel, and am a dealer for them. If I need some info, they will go out in the shop and take a few pics for me. I owe alot to them, and feel its only right to be the same way to others in return. Glad to hear its helping others.
No dyno numbers yet...

Re: T/S Duster - 12/01/10 01:38 PM

Quote:

I pride myself on doing most of my own work. Not being a pro I learn as I go. The pictures on the Bullet show not only high quality but a real eye to detail as well. I only wish I had your talent. It was also interesting to see Todds Capri in your shop. We hung out together when we younger. My hair had color and he still had his.
Doug

Cool. Todds a great guy and great customer as well. I've never seen Todd with hair

Re: T/S Duster - 12/01/10 01:40 PM

Quote:

would llike to see it with the Pred motor sittin in there!

Wouldn't we all!
Posted By: Edge

Re: T/S Duster - 12/01/10 05:58 PM

I have been following this build over on the Bullet as well. The craftmanship and attention to detail is truly impressive. It gives a hack like me a high mark to shoot for as I try to finish my own 25.1E Duster. Attached is the most recent picture.
Keep up the good work !

Attached picture 6330898-duster018.jpg
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: T/S Duster - 12/01/10 06:17 PM

Ready to start on a new Stratus

Re: T/S Duster - 12/01/10 06:47 PM

Quote:

I have been following this build over on the Bullet as well. The craftmanship and attention to detail is truly impressive. It gives a hack like me a high mark to shoot for as I try to finish my own 25.1E Duster. Attached is the most recent picture.
Keep up the good work !

Coming along nicely!

Re: T/S Duster - 12/01/10 06:49 PM

Quote:

Be sure to post pics

Re: T/S Duster - 12/01/10 06:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Be sure to post pics

I think he was asking you if you are ready
Posted By: BobR

Re: T/S Duster - 12/01/10 08:35 PM

Unless one has been following the Bullet thread one would have no idea that this is one of the finest sportsman Mopar race cars in existance. Any of you that haven't taken the time to go over the 50+ page build thread over there ought to. It's eye opening how "real" racecars are detailed.

Re: T/S Duster - 12/01/10 11:26 PM

Thanks for the continued compliments. I have to give credit where credit is due though. Tommy was the one paying the bill on the Duster. Fortunately his budget was such to make my shop look good. We (my wife and I and one part time guy) TRIED to build a first class car don't get me wrong, but the guy willing to pay the bill deserves at least as much credit in my book. Without his desire to own a car like this, it would have been just another racecar out of many. Thanks be to Tommy (the owner), my wife, and Bud (employee) and the good Lord who gave me the ability to do what I love.
Posted By: BobR

Re: T/S Duster - 12/02/10 01:33 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the continued compliments. I have to give credit where credit is due though. Tommy was the one paying the bill on the Duster. Fortunately his budget was such to make my shop look good. We (my wife and I and one part time guy) TRIED to build a first class car don't get me wrong, but the guy willing to pay the bill deserves at least as much credit in my book. Without his desire to own a car like this, it would have been just another racecar out of many. Thanks be to Tommy (the owner), my wife, and Bud (employee) and the good Lord who gave me the ability to do what I love.

I had the good opportunity to do a no budget/anything goes restomod on a '68 Camaro a few years back so I understand what you are saying. Still, there are some shops who would never have gotten the car where you got it. I'm really quite amazed that you haven't really gotten much reaction out of this Mopar crowd. That Duster is fabulous. We may actually incorporate some of your safety shutoff ideas on our Outlaw car.

Re: T/S Duster - 12/02/10 02:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I had the good opportunity to do a no budget/anything goes restomod on a '68 Camaro a few years back so I understand what you are saying. Still, there are some shops who would never have gotten the car where you got it. I'm really quite amazed that you haven't really gotten much reaction out of this Mopar crowd. That Duster is fabulous. We may actually incorporate some of your safety shutoff ideas on our Outlaw car.

Its all good. I didn't put it up here for a pat on the back so much as to share it with the Mopar crowd.Not that there is anything wrong with getting a job well done, but the owner is happy, so thats what really matters most. I'm more of a Chevy guy myself, although I've recently joked about having "Mopar Tendencies" as of late, I know if there was a real nice chevy being finished, I would want to see it. So by that same direction I posted it here for the guys to see. So if only one person enjoyed seeing the pics, it was worth it. I don't really know what to say about all the positive comments. It just blows me away that someone would spend the hours it takes to go through the entire build thread of something that I did. Amazing is all I can say about you all. Thanks for the encouragement. It makes the late hours easier.
Posted By: BIG BEAR

Re: T/S Duster - 12/02/10 03:15 PM

WOW!!! What craftsmanship

Re: T/S Duster - 12/04/10 02:44 AM

just incase there is any doubt..

JOB WELL DONE !!!
that car is exceptional...
your work is exceptional...
Keep doin it the way your doin it....

cheapst

Re: T/S Duster - 12/04/10 03:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Heres a link to the dyno video. Make sure your sound is all the way up http://www.facebook.com/video/video....58166547560872

Re: T/S Duster - 12/04/10 03:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Heres a link to the dyno video. Make sure your sound is all the way up http://www.facebook.com/video/video....58166547560872

link don't work

Re: T/S Duster - 12/04/10 03:05 AM

maybe this http://www.facebook.com/pages/Best-Machi...22&comments

Re: T/S Duster - 12/04/10 03:10 AM

do you remember what I guessed on the bullet?

Re: T/S Duster - 12/04/10 03:12 AM

I was going to look but I coudn't find it. I think you were "close" LOL. give me a minute...

Re: T/S Duster - 12/04/10 03:15 AM

I would say 3hp is pretty close

Re: T/S Duster - 12/04/10 03:18 AM

Quote:

I was going to look but I coudn't find it. I think you were "close" LOL. give me a minute...

You were WAY off... QUOTE: I'll take a guess, 1179hp

Re: T/S Duster - 12/04/10 03:22 AM

nice Ford racing sign guys oh yea 9"
Posted By: Super Scamp

Re: T/S Duster - 12/04/10 05:10 AM

I would love to take it for a blip down the track!!!! Very nice MOPAR!!

Attached picture 6336392-2010TT004.jpg

Re: T/S Duster - 12/04/10 05:19 AM

Man that sounds good!!! I can't wait to get mine finished.

Re: T/S Duster - 12/04/10 05:25 AM

I was hopeing to get around 1200HP out of my 596 and after seeing that video I'll try to make sure I pay attention to your combo. WOW!!! I still have goose bumps!!!
Posted By: BIG BEAR

Re: T/S Duster - 12/04/10 03:06 PM

Quote:

WOW!!! I still have goose bumps!!!

I'm still giggling like a little kid! That whole set up is top notch

Re: T/S Duster - 12/07/10 03:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

WOW!!! I still have goose bumps!!!

I'm still giggling like a little kid! That whole set up is top notch

The owner got the engine home last week. Its sitting in his garage waiting to get put in. I think he goes out every night and pets it, then tucks it in and says goodnight.
© 2024 Moparts Forums