Moparts

Progress pics on my fuel system

Posted By: Keith Black®

Progress pics on my fuel system - 11/19/10 10:11 PM

I haven't posted too many pics on here on my Charger project & thought it may be good idea seeing everyone on this site has provided so much help to me since I have been designign and building it. It's been a huge project (as they all are I guess), here are some pics of my fuel system as it comes together:

Car with fuel tank in:

Attached picture 6309847-tankinstalled.jpg

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 11/19/10 10:13 PM

Fuel system design (by Aeromotive):

Attached picture 6309850-C-A1KEFIDualIn-Tank.jpg

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 11/19/10 10:14 PM

Car with fuel tank removed:

Attached picture 6309851-carwithtankout.jpg

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 11/19/10 10:16 PM

fuel tank as we modify for internal pumps. the access plates provide the ability for us to get into the tank (there will be a removable panel in the trunk floor too). the pumps will be mounted / be suspended from the front access plate into the tank. The centre access plate covers a reservoir which has one-way check valves so the pumps are always fed (the pump pickups draw from here):

Attached picture 6309855-FuelTank-1.jpg

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 11/19/10 10:19 PM

pumps attached to the underside of the front access plate. we will make fuel resistant insulator blocks to further reduce pump vibration & noise (who knows what difference it will make )

Attached picture 6309858-AccessPlate-pumps.jpg

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 11/19/10 10:21 PM

top side of access plates:

Attached picture 6309861-fuelsumpinsp-cover-1.jpg

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 11/19/10 10:24 PM

nut plate that will mount to the inside if tank shell and clamp against the access plate (using viton gaskets). tank baffles dry soldered inside. return line goes to reservoir.

Attached picture 6309865-nutplatetank-pumps-1.jpg
Posted By: TheOtherDodge

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 11/19/10 10:25 PM

Looks pretty sweet! I love looking a people's projects (even non mopar) because you never know when it can give you ideas on your own project!

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 11/19/10 10:29 PM

there's also been a change to the Aeromotive design as I need to run 16 x 95 lb hour injectors. primarily so the engine is tunable & runs well low down in the RPM range and is streetable, but 1500hp requires a lot of injector and 8 extra large injectors would most likely perform poorly low down. So I am now to run a fuel manifold, 2 injector rails and 16 injectors at the engine. the regulator will plumb all injectors into one -10 return. I will be plumbing it over the next few weeks so will post more pictures if people are interested.

thanks again to everyone on Moparts for your constant help & inspiration!

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 11/20/10 12:51 AM

Quote:

Looks pretty sweet! I love looking a people's projects (even non mopar) because you never know when it can give you ideas on your own project!

thanks James, exactly!
Posted By: Bigbeep

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 11/20/10 05:03 AM

Please continue with specs and pics. BTW car looks pretty tough just sitting on the rack. Beep

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 11/21/10 01:24 AM

thanks John, it's coming together. will keep updated with fuel system pics and specs.

Attached picture 6311533-DSC00766.jpg
Posted By: Randy..

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 11/21/10 01:49 AM

Looks Killer.

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 11/25/10 05:00 AM

thanks for your comments everyone !

Can anyone tell me if Black Oxide ARP bolts are resistant to E85 Fuel?
I am ordering bolts for the fuel tank covers & plates and need to know whether to go stainless or if I can use the Black Oxide (which is preferred)??

thanks for your help !
Posted By: silverfish

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 11/25/10 05:06 AM

Thats awesome man, great job so far! You can tell that you've spent a lot of time and effort on it and its looking like its going to really pay off. I can't wait to see it finished.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 11/25/10 05:15 AM

Quote:

nut plate that will mount to the inside if tank shell and clamp against the access plate (using viton gaskets). tank baffles dry soldered inside. return line goes to reservoir.

I see that you have the reservoir sealed... you need
to run at least 1 one way flapper valve low in the
res to allow fuel in(self leveling)but wont let fuel
out...... if you dont already have them.... looking
real nice

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 11/25/10 05:24 AM

thanks yes, we're running 4 x 1-way check valves in the reservoir., .I will post more pictures when they're installed.

still wondering if ARP Black Oxide bolts are E85-proof or should I go stainless??
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 11/25/10 05:30 AM

Quote:

thanks yes, we're running 4 x 1-way check valves in the reservoir., .I will post more pictures when they're installed.

still wondering if ARP Black Oxide bolts are E85-proof or should I go stainless??

For long term I would go stainless
Posted By: silverfish

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 11/25/10 05:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

For long term I would go stainless

better safe than sorry.
Posted By: formula S

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 11/25/10 05:37 AM

Quote:

I think I'd play it safe and just use the stainless bolts plus there nice and shiny

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 11/25/10 05:49 AM

Something just came to mind, a friend of mine used one of those A1000 fuel pumps with methanol and then later after the pump locked up, he found out that it was not compatible with methanol but maybe its ok to use with E-85

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 11/25/10 07:21 AM

thanks, yep I checked with Aeromotive and they said fine with E85. The technical spec's that come with the pumps also says that they're ok with Alcohol, they're then rated for less power as you need more fuel to deliver the same power -hence 2 pumps to be safe.
Pump #1 runs via the speed controller and Pump #2 will be rpm/boost referenced via the ECU when we get that sorted.

looks like stainless will be the go for inspection /pump covers. thanks for your help!!

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 11/25/10 11:41 AM

Quote:

thanks, yep I checked with Aeromotive and they said fine with E85. The technical spec's that come with the pumps also says that they're ok with Alcohol, they're then rated for less power as you need more fuel to deliver the same power -hence 2 pumps to be safe.
Pump #1 runs via the speed controller and Pump #2 will be rpm/boost referenced via the ECU when we get that sorted.

looks like stainless will be the go for inspection /pump covers. thanks for your help!!

I was looking at the Aeromotive web sight and it dose say it is compatible with alchol/ethanol but I did'nt see anything about methanol maybe this is where the problem is on his application. Aeromotive told him to use the A2000 pump and that seemed to work with out locking up. By the way very nice car
Posted By: 69CHARGERMD

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 11/25/10 12:16 PM

Very Nice ....

Muffler position ? is it too tight or some clearance issues that you have to run the mufflers off to the side like that ?

I have 3" tail pipe running "next" to my stock tank,,it's tight,,but not hitting,, with the mufflers in front of the axle...you probably have alot more "stuff" under the car that needs clearance compared to a stockish setup ?

would love to see a shot of the underside of the car,,,very cool,,,keep the pics coming...

GREAT job....

Doug

hmmmmmm,,,,i just noticed,,,,do you have FOUR mufflers on the car ? i think i see 2 tucked up under in the stock position ? spill the beans, ,,would like to hear about it,, ,,Doug

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 11/25/10 09:59 PM

hey Doug., yep 4 mufflers ..just trying to make it as quiet as I can (no expectations though )
there is poofteenth of nothing in the way of space under the car, filled with parts. simply amazing, the bigger the car the bigger the stuff you use to fill it up. Plus I've lowered the car 2 ~ 2-1/2in front & back.
I freed up a bit of space with no leafsprings, and really liked the idea of having mufflers up in those recesses, with the tailpipes just angling down. sticking with the theme I want in that the engineering must be tight and "almost" look factory.
In final stages now, mocking everything up before underbody coatings, component coatings , paint etc. although we still have a little engine compartment work to do..
Exhaust is 3-1/2 all the way through with V-clamps and sections made up. here's some more pics..if you're interested in the exhaust..

PS: thanks again to all Moparts members for their inspiration, this has been a HUGE project.

Attached picture 6320565-exh-tofrtn.jpg

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 11/25/10 10:00 PM

front..

Attached picture 6320567-underfront.jpg

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 11/25/10 10:01 PM

to rear..

Attached picture 6320569-exh-torear.jpg

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 11/25/10 10:03 PM

rear muffler(s) mounted:

Attached picture 6320570-Rear-LH.jpg
Posted By: 69CHARGERMD

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 11/26/10 12:33 AM

That car ROCKS,,,,,thanks for the pics....
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 11/26/10 01:00 AM

Quote:

Just my on the stainless steel bolts.
I am not a real fan of stainless bolts, simply due to the fact, if they are dropped in a hard to access area(like maybe into the fuel tank, engine,etc) a magnet will not pick them up for you. DAMHIK!!! I realize they don't rust, corrode as much, etc. Maybe I have just been too 'fumble fingered' too many times.

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 11/26/10 06:12 AM

thanks for your help, I will probably run with the stainless bolts at this stage. they can't fall in as the cover plates must be in place before the bolts go in (famous last words I bet).

I need to make up the in-tank wiring too ... does anyone know if std 10 gauge electrical PVC wire is resistant to E85 ..?

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 05/09/11 10:11 AM

thought I would put up some more pic's for those that are interested (I know it's been a while just been busy) as the fuel system comes together.

The standard tank is baffled internally with a centre sump & one-way anodised check-valves. There's an access plate in the centre of the top of the tank, and another at the front top where the access plate has the two pumps& filters suspended to it's underside.

Here's the dual pump setup sitting in place (access plate removed):

Attached picture 6624456-PumpsinTank2.jpg

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 05/09/11 10:13 AM

pump & filter assembly (bolts to underside of access plate):

Attached picture 6624458-Pump&FilterAssyMounttoAccesspLate.jpg

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 05/09/11 10:15 AM

inside front of tank with pumps/filter assembly/plate lifted off:

Attached picture 6624461-topfrontoftankaccess-pump-area.jpg

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 05/09/11 10:16 AM

Another shot of pump/filter assembly out of tank:

Attached picture 6624462-dualpump&filterassy.jpg

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 05/09/11 10:24 AM

we will be able to remove the access plates for any servicing as we modify the boot floor to have an access panel.

Also, I am adding two additional tanks for sufficient capacity. They will fit inside the rear quarters and extent as far toward the centre of the trunk as the trunk lid lip. I'm adding another gas cap to the RH quarter. Each gas cap will fill each side tank, which will then feed into the main tank. Each quarter tank will be fabricated from aluminium with internal bladders (made by ATL in NJ). Vents from all 3 tanks will run into charcoal canister to stop any fumes.
Engine will run on both E85 & ordinary petrol. primary pump is speed controlled and second is staged.

Posted By: ChrgrCuda

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 05/10/11 12:31 AM

First class all the way. Are you going to powder coat or paint the tank? I'm at the fuel system stage on my 69 Charger as well, however mine won't be near as well thought out and planned as yours. Please keep us updated!
Posted By: LA360

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 05/10/11 01:15 AM

How is E85 with raw aluminium? I know methanol would eat into it.
Looks great though!

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 05/10/11 02:47 AM

thanks!
the tank is std, everything aluminium is being anodised.
the 2 other tanks will have custom made internal bladders (safety requirement here in Australia for engineer certification/registration).
Posted By: racerx

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 05/11/11 02:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I was looking at the Aeromotive web sight and it dose say it is compatible with alchol/ethanol but I did'nt see anything about methanol maybe this is where the problem is on his application. Aeromotive told him to use the A2000 pump and that seemed to work with out locking up. By the way very nice car

This may be a Dumb ? but i'll ask anyway What's the differance between alchol/methanol?
Posted By: studio57

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 05/11/11 01:28 PM

wow... nice job Darren !! can not wait to see more !
Posted By: Cape

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 02/08/24 02:15 PM

I know this is an old thread but does anyone know of a company that can make these tanks? I know aeromotive and ricks tanks but are there kits out there to cut open a stock tank and install whatever pump you want. Thanks
Posted By: LA360

Re: Progress pics on my fuel system - 02/08/24 11:00 PM

https://www.terrybosnjakengineering.com.au/services
© 2024 Moparts Forums