Moparts

Dropped my block off at the machine shop !

Posted By: 383man

Dropped my block off at the machine shop ! - 11/18/10 02:17 AM

Yes I am getting started on building my new eng for my 63. I will have the machine shop do the final honing on my block along with decking and align boring it. Once I get it back I will start setting my ring gaps and get ready to measure and assemble it. Boy it feels good to get moving on the new eng. Ron
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: Dropped my block off at the machine shop ! - 11/18/10 02:18 AM

Glad to hear Ron - good luck!
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: Dropped my block off at the machine shop ! - 11/18/10 02:41 AM

who got the job
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Dropped my block off at the machine shop ! - 11/18/10 02:46 AM

For those that dont know or forgot, like me, Whats the New engine combo going to be.? Congrats on getting it started, mike
Posted By: sam64

Re: Dropped my block off at the machine shop ! - 11/18/10 02:49 AM

hope the machine shops there are a quicker than the ones around here.they tell you 2 weeks lucky if you get it back in 2 months.

Attached picture 6307021-mopars032(Small)(2).jpg
Posted By: Hemiroid

Re: Dropped my block off at the machine shop ! - 11/18/10 02:53 AM

Ron, lets hear what the whole package is going to be! I love the old b bodies and I'm really looking forward to the upgrades coming to your car. I always liked your ride and can't wait to see it boogie with the new bullet!!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Dropped my block off at the machine shop ! - 11/18/10 02:59 AM

Quote:

hope the machine shops there are a quicker than the ones around here.they tell you 2 weeks lucky if you get it back in 2 months.

Tell me about it!
The machine shop told me 7-8 weeks.
We are on 19 weeks and still waiting.They are all the same.
Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: Dropped my block off at the machine shop ! - 11/18/10 03:05 AM

Is this the kind of engine that has 8 barrels,425 hp and goes by the name "THE ORANGE MONSTER"?

Re: Dropped my block off at the machine shop ! - 11/18/10 06:13 AM

Thanks for the kind words. Fred I am using JB's machine shop on Philidalphia rd in White Marsh Md. They have always done good work for me. I am just having them do the final cyl honing along with the align bore and decking. Once I get it back I will start to assemble the shortblock. I will be using a 4.15 crank that should give me about 493 cubes. Its 440 Source kit and I will be checking the crank very close. I am using flattop pistons that should come out right around zero deck so I can get good quench with the .039 head gasket. With the CNC Eddy heads I will be using it should come to right about 11.0 comp. I will be getting my CNC'd Eddy RPM heads from Jeff at Modern Performance. I will also be getting a custom grind cam from Dwayne Porter and it will be a solid flat tappet that will make good power and let me run on pump gas keeping my cyl pressure where we want it. I will start off with a single carb but if it runs like I hope I think I will then go to the crossram. I wanted to try a Victor intake but I dont think it will fit under my hood so I might just start with the Holley Street Dominator since I have one. I will go with roller rockers and may go with the Hughes rockers as I like them. I need to get a new set of headers as the Hedman 1-3/4 on it now wont cut it with this eng. If I left anything out just le me know. Ron
Posted By: 340man4ever

Re: Dropped my block off at the machine shop ! - 11/18/10 07:15 AM

Wow.....sounds like a great build!

You will have lots of fun with that. Too cool
Posted By: mike s

Re: Dropped my block off at the machine shop ! - 11/18/10 07:46 AM

Sounds great Ron.Only item I might change is the rockers.Consider the Harland Sharps.(pm me for detail)You can squeeze the Victor in there with a low deck block.You will have to use a very short air cleaner element though.
Posted By: StripeHOG

Re: Dropped my block off at the machine shop ! - 11/18/10 12:41 PM

about time for a name change
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Dropped my block off at the machine shop ! - 11/18/10 01:33 PM

Good luck,Ron! I always enjoy reading about a new build!! Keep us posted!!
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Dropped my block off at the machine shop ! - 11/18/10 02:26 PM

Good luck with it

And don't forget the pics
Posted By: old_racer

Re: Dropped my block off at the machine shop ! - 11/18/10 02:42 PM

Hi Ron,
good luck on the build! and take your time!!
Russ
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Dropped my block off at the machine shop ! - 11/18/10 03:08 PM

Sounds like a good, sound reliable build ( not too exotic ). Might want to have the block checked before automatically line boring it. Many times this proceedure is done unnecessarily. Could save yourself some $ and a loser than necessary timing chain. JMO. Good luck with it. Wish I had my 63 back - every time I see yours
Posted By: KillerBee

Re: Dropped my block off at the machine shop ! - 11/18/10 03:27 PM

Quote:

Sounds great Ron.Only item I might change is the rockers.Consider the Harland Sharps.

One less headache to worry about.

Not sure of the ratio but here's a new setup for sale.
http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/pts/2057535986.html
Posted By: Troublemaker427

Re: Dropped my block off at the machine shop ! - 11/18/10 03:44 PM

Good luck with it Ron. Sounds like the new motor should make some good steam!!
Posted By: Bill_LBSR

Re: Dropped my block off at the machine shop ! - 11/18/10 07:33 PM

Been using JB's machine for a long time. They do very good work and get it done when they say they will. Good luck with the new build.
Posted By: MIKES_DUSTER

Re: Dropped my block off at the machine shop ! - 11/18/10 08:11 PM

Congrats on the new build!!!! If Jr dont step up to the plate,he aint got NO CHANCE now!!!!
Whats Ryan upto now??
Posted By: topside

Re: Dropped my block off at the machine shop ! - 11/18/10 10:24 PM

So I take it that it's still a 383, just with lightened bores and a little more travel...:)
You DID drop the pistons off at the machine shop so the finished bore size & deck height will be more accurate, right?

Re: Dropped my block off at the machine shop ! - 11/18/10 10:43 PM

Quote:

So I take it that it's still a 383, just with lightened bores and a little more travel...:)
You DID drop the pistons off at the machine shop so the finished bore size & deck height will be more accurate, right?

383 ? No it is a 440 block. Yes I took the pistons and measured them with the guy at the machine shop as they also say the size on the box of 4.3465. They are set for .003 to .004 piston to wall clearence with a 4.350 bore. I plan to run a tad more about .005 to .006.

Thanks for all the kind replies. Ron
Posted By: topside

Re: Dropped my block off at the machine shop ! - 11/19/10 03:01 AM

Ron, I was just playin' with your username...so it's a 383RB when people ask, then...:)
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Dropped my block off at the machine shop ! - 11/19/10 03:50 AM

that'll be nice...mid 11.s to high 10's

Once you go to a stroker there's no turning back (not that you'd want to). And this coming from a guy that used to prefer high winding gear trash driving.
Posted By: sjs64polara

Re: Dropped my block off at the machine shop ! - 11/19/10 04:15 AM

Ron, my 2 , Have fun.

Attached picture 6308857-Time_Mach_10_sat_417_web.jpg
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: Dropped my block off at the machine shop ! - 11/19/10 04:23 AM

tens all the way Ron
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Dropped my block off at the machine shop ! - 11/19/10 05:08 AM

Quote:

Once you go to a stroker there's no turning back (not that you'd want to). And this coming from a guy that used to prefer high winding gear trash driving.

50+ cubic inches, 3/4 of a point increase in compression & much improved flow I hope Ron improves over his current 11.5 best.... I know your just giving a average ET for a 493 stroker but Ron seems to get just about everything out of his stuff... Not his first rodeo... Not your first either but I'm just saying..

Re: Dropped my block off at the machine shop ! - 11/19/10 08:00 AM

Quote:

Ron, I was just playin' with your username...so it's a 383RB when people ask, then...:)

I did not even pay attention to the name as if I knew it was you I would have know for sure you were messing with me. Ron
Posted By: jake4cars

Re: Dropped my block off at the machine shop ! - 11/19/10 01:16 PM

Joey
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Dropped my block off at the machine shop ! - 11/19/10 03:20 PM

Sounds like a good, powerful, pump gas, street/strip combo.
I think you will be amazed at the torque increase!
Posted By: BradH

Re: Dropped my block off at the machine shop ! - 11/19/10 03:28 PM

Are you still planning to run a 8.75", or will you be upgrading the differential to handle all that extra torque?
Posted By: 67dodge67

Re: Dropped my block off at the machine shop ! - 11/19/10 07:10 PM

Will definitely follow this thread!! Best of luck on the new project!!
Dave
Posted By: wmwalden

Re: Dropped my block off at the machine shop ! - 11/19/10 07:32 PM

Good-luck Ron. I like watching your car go down the track. Dwayne Porter, hmm, he knows his stuff. You can't go wrong talking to that guy. JB did my engine, what a nice job they did. And on time.
Posted By: B1Fish540

Re: Dropped my block off at the machine shop ! - 11/19/10 09:39 PM

Ron, did you ever talk with member "snook" he did something like you are wanting...tested different manifold combos, etc.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Dropped my block off at the machine shop ! - 11/19/10 09:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

50+ cubic inches, 3/4 of a point increase in compression & much improved flow I hope Ron improves over his current 11.5 best.... I know your just giving a average ET for a 493 stroker but Ron seems to get just about everything out of his stuff... Not his first rodeo... Not your first either but I'm just saying..

I'm fairly sure Bobby meant something more along the lines of: "It's in the mid 11s now, and when it's done it be in the high 10s (easy)".

I'd never put words in anybody's mouth but that's my interpretation/poor reading comprehension of it...nothing there to debate really

Ron I have nothing to say but congrats....I've been mulling over a larger ci project or four also but haven't made it past (home) block prep....
Posted By: JACK1440

Re: Dropped my block off at the machine shop ! - 11/19/10 09:55 PM

Think she's gonna be a runner Ron.... We'll be starting on dad's 62 soon.
© 2024 Moparts Forums