Moparts

Throttle cable to short... What do yall use?

Posted By: Boosted

Throttle cable to short... What do yall use? - 11/15/10 01:48 AM

Car is a 72 Challenger with a bb in it. Dominator carb on a 2 inch plate.. Cable is about 2 inches short..

What is the recommendation on the this problem?
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Throttle cable to short... What do yall use? - 11/15/10 01:50 AM

I use a Lokar and make it fit how I want.
Posted By: Todd

Re: Throttle cable to short... What do yall use? - 11/15/10 01:56 AM

Make it any length you want and it looks nice.
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: Throttle cable to short... What do yall use? - 11/15/10 03:02 AM

Had problems with Lokar cables on racecars. more than one..A stock 6 cy off a duster will be longer..best thing is a rod type setup.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Throttle cable to short... What do yall use? - 11/15/10 03:03 AM

lots of choices,Lokar, stock OEM six cylinder or some other aftermarket throttle cable kit
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Throttle cable to short... What do yall use? - 11/15/10 03:31 AM

If you go with a Lokar cable on a Dominator I would suggest tossing the wire rope it comes with and step up a couple sizes, you can get it at your local hardware store. We do it all the time and works great. The tiny cable they supply is not really good enough for a Dominator application.
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: Throttle cable to short... What do yall use? - 11/15/10 03:39 AM

Get one from a pick up truck
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Throttle cable to short... What do yall use? - 11/15/10 04:29 AM

Quote:

Get one from a pick up truck

I got mine from a pick up, plenty long. Pick a part $5.00
Posted By: Ari440

Re: Throttle cable to short... What do yall use? - 11/15/10 04:37 AM

I made an extenion on my road runner

lokar cable csr trottle bracket on the duster
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: Throttle cable to short... What do yall use? - 11/15/10 05:35 AM

solid rod with a toe clip on the pedal, you can keep those cables
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Throttle cable to short... What do yall use? - 11/15/10 07:31 AM

Slant Six cable or pickup truck cable. Both should be available.

This question gets answered a few times every month. Should be several posts in the archives with part numbers for longer cables.
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: Throttle cable to short... What do yall use? - 11/15/10 11:40 AM

Your local bicycle or bike-shop will have a good selection of gearshift or brake-cables to choose from for a couple of bucks.
Posted By: Scamp408

Re: Throttle cable to short... What do yall use? - 11/15/10 11:47 AM

slant 6 cable and I got mine from napa I think you can order it from autozone also.
Posted By: Kiner

Re: Throttle cable to short... What do yall use? - 11/15/10 12:43 PM

A piece of flat stock measure and drill.
Posted By: chryco

Re: Throttle cable to short... What do yall use? - 11/15/10 12:52 PM

/6 on my Hemi / Dom setup...........

Attached picture 6302520-32005Dart004.jpg
Posted By: therocks

Re: Throttle cable to short... What do yall use? - 11/15/10 01:27 PM

I use a /6 also on my 65.Has M1 and Dominator.Had to modify the pedal part a bit to fit the early 65 style pedal.Rocky

Re: Throttle cable to short... What do yall use? - 11/15/10 02:15 PM

I have not thought of replacing the cable. i have a tractor supply down the road that has about any cable I can think of. Now I wish I was at home to see how the ends go on so I would know if they are replaceable.

If I go to buy a new /6 cable is there a particular one to buy it for?

Thanks everyone for the help on this and the many MANY other questions I have asked and will ask.
Posted By: dragram440

Re: Throttle cable to short... What do yall use? - 11/15/10 02:53 PM

I just bought one from my local parts store. They ordered it for a truck I believe or could have been a 6 cyl. car. I think it was under $20 for a new cable that looks just like your factory one but longer. I think there is about 3 or 4 different lengths.

Re: Throttle cable to short... What do yall use? - 11/15/10 03:02 PM

I looked up one for an 85 W150 with a /6. Local parts store wants 21.95 for it..

Think this is the one for me?
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Throttle cable to short... What do yall use? - 11/15/10 03:20 PM

You need the "standard" 440 adjustable bracket. The Indy/Victor one would be too tall for your intake. Since your throttle cable is too short, I'm going guess you replaced the stock slant 6 one with a V-8 version . The easiest thing to ask for at the parts store would be... a throttle cable for a 1975 slant six Duster. If there is a Carquest near by, they carry the Pioneer line of cables. Take a look at the firewall where the cables goes through. Some cars have a round hole others have a square hole in the firewall. The Pioneer part number for a 23.3 inch long cable with a square fitting is CA-8411, a 25.8" cable is CA-8413. For a 24" cable with a round fitting the number is CA-8418. You can also order the cables from www.partsamerica.com This was in the tech archives.... I have a dommy on a 2" spacer on an M-1 intake and used the Pioneer 24" cable. Had a slant six cable and it was a couple inches short. I hope this helps!

Re: Throttle cable to short... What do yall use? - 11/15/10 03:26 PM

My car was a factory small block with a 4 speed so i am assuming the cable in it is the original one. The car was owned by my friend for 36 years before I got it and it was never changed.

I will look at the firewall and see what type hole it has when i get home..
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Throttle cable to short... What do yall use? - 11/15/10 03:33 PM

I use a Lokar cable, but I did the same thing Al does and got a new thicker cable from the hardware store. No problems.
Posted By: Madness

Re: Throttle cable to short... What do yall use? - 11/15/10 03:44 PM

TBoomer, www.partsamerica.com not available? How long ago did you visit them?
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Throttle cable to short... What do yall use? - 11/15/10 03:47 PM

I ordered the cable from my local Carquest...He is a racer and usually can match some of the big names in prices...
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: Throttle cable to short... What do yall use? - 11/15/10 04:01 PM

As far as using a thicker cable, I've used the cable I get for garage door lock's. Thicker, still stainless strand, and fits inside the cable housing. If you need some, send me your addy and the length.
Posted By: Mike Swann

Re: Throttle cable to short... What do yall use? - 11/15/10 04:58 PM

I used a bicycle cable. I made an adapter bushing for the stock pedal assembly out of aluminum (on the lathe), made a clamp bushing out of Al like stock , took a piece of mild steel cut to length, drilled and taped it to fit a small rod end. I swaged it in a small hydralic press.
© 2024 Moparts Forums