Moparts

Aluminum water pump housing mod

Posted By: maxie

Aluminum water pump housing mod - 11/14/10 09:46 PM

I have an aluminum waterpump housing that is off of an original 1965 A990 car. If you look down through the thermostat hole there are two areas I guess would be the way to say it. In the back section which would be the block side there is a hole drilled and tapped with a pipe plug in it with a 1/8 hole drilled in it.

What is the purpose of this?
It is creating a hole that allows coolant to do what?
Posted By: dOOc

Re: Aluminum water pump housing mod - 11/14/10 10:12 PM

I would not mod or cut-up a A990 WP. I say SELL IT and just buy a repop and use that.
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: Aluminum water pump housing mod - 11/14/10 10:16 PM

Quote:

I would not mod or cut-up a A990 WP. I say SELL IT and just buy a repop and use that.

Re: Aluminum water pump housing mod - 11/14/10 10:17 PM

If you read the post it states that is already modified. Was that way when I got it.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Aluminum water pump housing mod - 11/15/10 01:01 AM

Those holes are to allow coolant to circulate when the thermostat is closed, I think I drill two 1/8 holes in my thermostats also for that very same reason, let the air out so I can fill the cooling system up completely without having to wait for the thermostst to open and it lets a small amount of coolant to circulate while warming up

Re: Aluminum water pump housing mod - 11/15/10 01:10 AM

Quote:

Those holes are to allow coolant to circulate when the thermostat is closed, I think I drill two 1/8 holes in my thermostats also for that very same reason, let the air out so I can fill the cooling system up completely without having to wait for the thermostst to open and it lets a small amount of coolant to circulate while warming up

So more than likely they drilled a hole way to big and the car never warmed up and put a plug in it with a 1/8 hole in it. So the car would warm up.
Posted By: CrazyD

Re: Aluminum water pump housing mod - 11/15/10 02:09 AM

the brass pipe plug prevents coolant from recirculating thru the block - it forces all coolant thru the rad. Common to cars running with no t-stat.
Posted By: @#$%&*!

Re: Aluminum water pump housing mod - 11/16/10 02:27 AM

Some coolant needs to flow though the block when the T-stat is closed so that the water heated in the engine can get to the T-stat and open it. The plug with smaller hole is just to minimize the flow that short-circuits the radiator.
© 2024 Moparts Forums