Moparts

instigator cuda

Posted By: all spooled up

instigator cuda - 11/07/10 05:48 PM

let us know how she runs and some more pics
Posted By: instigator

Re: instigator cuda - 11/07/10 10:36 PM

Been widdling away at it today...things are coming around....got downpipe wrapped and installed....just made up new wires....going to keep working on it tonight but won't be no vroom vroom tonight.....maybe tomorrow evening.

I'll post up some new pics later on.

Re: instigator cuda - 11/08/10 01:34 AM

Re: instigator cuda - 11/08/10 01:58 AM

Here's a few more pics I just took..things are turning out better than I imagined!

Re: instigator cuda - 11/08/10 04:43 AM

you got alot done you going dyno it

Re: instigator cuda - 11/08/10 05:01 AM

Oh yea....and I also got the stock ralley hood (fiberglass re-pop) to clear...just had to noth a little here and there on some of the "bracing"....

I was really glad of this.

may make it to the dyno next week.... will have to see.
Posted By: TheOtherDodge

Re: instigator cuda - 11/08/10 03:11 PM

Awesome!
Posted By: fatman

Re: instigator cuda - 11/08/10 03:24 PM

I'm having trouble thinking up a more desirable combo.
Posted By: hemibill

Re: instigator cuda - 11/08/10 08:49 PM

How are you going to connect the turbos to an air cleaner? It appears there is zero room on one side and very little room on the other, for piping. And I don't see any big holes in the side area of the radiator core support.

I like what you've done too! (Just wondering out loud).

BILL

Re: instigator cuda - 11/09/10 12:04 AM

Quote:

How are you going to connect the turbos to an air cleaner? It appears there is zero room on one side and very little room on the other, for piping. And I don't see any big holes in the side area of the radiator core support.

I like what you've done too! (Just wondering out loud).

BILL

Bill, there is a nice sized hole on the driver side already where the turbo is close, but no hole on the passenger side where there is quite a bit more room( can get air from all around).....though I only plan on running a screen over the compressor inlets to keep rocks and debris out....I'll kep the oil changed enough to not worry about filters very much
Posted By: RTSrunner

Re: instigator cuda - 11/09/10 05:53 AM

What's new with the motor?I can tell by your sig photo the turbos are moved forward,bigger motor,bigger turbos?What kind of power do you expect?That 895rwp number seemed pretty good!
RT

Re: instigator cuda - 11/09/10 11:43 PM

Quote:

What's new with the motor?I can tell by your sig photo the turbos are moved forward,bigger motor,bigger turbos?What kind of power do you expect?That 895rwp number seemed pretty good!
RT

Motor is still 408ci with same shortblock..Mopar Resto-block, callies cranks, manley pro-series I beam rods and Ross pistons....did change main bolts to studs..had Hensley polish crank, rebalance due to new heavier 4340 wrist pins...a complete bottom end freshen....

Went from ported edelbrocks 2.02 1.60 to Indy 360-2 cnc 230cc heads w/ 2.10 1.65's and Indy intake all done by Shady Dell Machine. Cam went from 245-245 .565 lift Flat tappet to 259 255 .630 lift flat tappet..with smith machine composite faced lifters...turbos really stepped up from 61mm P-trims to 75mm gt42 sized turbines ( turbos are probably good for another 500 hp for the pair than compared to the old turbos)...also running a belt drive pump now...also a new bell water to air core in my intercooler (about 50% bigger)...

I am expecting quite a jump in power compared to the old mule.....

I've been working my tail off on a landfill gas job this week so have been really busy and real tired also....have kind of relaxed the last couple nights.
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: instigator cuda - 11/10/10 02:49 AM

Sounds like you spent the money in all the right places. That thing should be a rocket.

Re: instigator cuda - 11/10/10 02:53 PM

YIKES! I can't wait to see how she runs!

Re: instigator cuda - 11/14/10 03:54 PM

is she running

Re: instigator cuda - 11/15/10 02:03 AM

She fired up about an hour ago......

Spent most of the day jacking with the beld-drive pump...finally figured it out and got it to move fuel....also had to get my old laptop to connect to the DFI....once worked all this and playing with distributor she fired up...took some tweaking by addig fuel to keep her running....once this was done it ran real clean, no leaks, no ticks, no problems what so ever....got it up to 195 and shut her down....

Boy does it sound good!...

I was by myself so no time to video...phone was dead also..sorry.

EDIT--just took a couple minutes and made a vid...check back soon, I will de downloading soon.

Re: instigator cuda - 11/15/10 03:09 AM

Here's a fire-up vid...sorry for the angle...I need to turn my phone 90 degrees I guess to vid...enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/user/turbocuda?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/1TNycvV4YfU
Posted By: Cudahlr

Re: instigator cuda - 11/15/10 03:26 AM

WOW!!!

Re: instigator cuda - 11/15/10 04:36 AM

Re: instigator cuda - 11/15/10 03:18 PM

So sweet!!!!
Posted By: cold85

Re: instigator cuda - 11/15/10 09:46 PM

Quote:

Here's a fire-up vid...sorry for the angle...I need to turn my phone 90 degrees I guess to vid...enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/user/turbocuda?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/1TNycvV4YfU

Hopefully coming to a track soon
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: instigator cuda - 11/16/10 02:10 AM

NICE, i'm a turbo junkie myself!!!!!\
very cool indeed dude!
Posted By: moparniac

Re: instigator cuda - 11/16/10 03:04 AM

Quote:

Here's a few more pics I just took..things are turning out better than I imagined!

nice and clean man! good job!
Posted By: RTSrunner

Re: instigator cuda - 11/16/10 05:47 AM

Motor is still 408ci with same shortblock..Mopar Resto-block, callies cranks, manley pro-series I beam rods and Ross pistons....did change main bolts to studs..had Hensley polish crank, rebalance due to new heavier 4340 wrist pins...a complete bottom end freshen....

Went from ported edelbrocks 2.02 1.60 to Indy 360-2 cnc 230cc heads w/ 2.10 1.65's and Indy intake all done by Shady Dell Machine. Cam went from 245-245 .565 lift Flat tappet to 259 255 .630 lift flat tappet..with smith machine composite faced lifters...turbos really stepped up from 61mm P-trims to 75mm gt42 sized turbines ( turbos are probably good for another 500 hp for the pair than compared to the old turbos)...also running a belt drive pump now...also a new bell water to air core in my intercooler (about 50% bigger)...

I am expecting quite a jump in power compared to the old mule.....

I've been working my tail off on a landfill gas job this week so have been really busy and real tired also....have kind of relaxed the last couple nights.

An extra 500 horsepower,so this could potentially make almost 1400 HP?What HP do you expect from it?Did you race it previously and get any ET's?Sounds Great in the video too!
RT
Posted By: ksj

Re: instigator cuda - 11/16/10 05:55 AM

No more cell phone video.I turned the monitor on its side and forgot to put it back.Id had a "few" beers" and the wife was not happy the next morning. Your build inspires me.
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: instigator cuda - 11/16/10 07:42 AM

excellent
Posted By: Kam*Kuda

Re: instigator cuda - 11/18/10 09:25 PM

Very nice clean, low profile

Re: instigator cuda - 11/19/10 04:15 AM

Just got back in from working on it all afternoon....finished drilling/tapping axles and installing 5/8 studs.....got them installed....got wheels back on and driveshaft installed and lowered her back down off the stands....my bud finished hooking up the wastegate control tubing and also got the front set back down..aired up the front and damn if it ain't great to see it on all fours again.

Fired her up, though it was a little tempermental....plugs are probably shot..I ain't to worried bout that cause 10 gallons of E-85 is going in it tomorrow and a fresh set of plugs...shouldn't have to worry bout fouling plugs again after that.....

Also put trans in gear and all seemed well with the trans so far....

one more thing...scheduled to go to the dyno with it on Saturday! :biggrin

I am expecting 4-digit #'s...and probably rather easily !
Posted By: ksj

Re: instigator cuda - 11/19/10 06:41 AM

You need to go on DragWeek in the SB/PA class.Cant wait to see the numbers.

Re: instigator cuda - 11/20/10 04:47 AM

Put 12 gallons of E-85 in it tonight..put a new set of plugs gapped at .020 and checked the valves.all were good.....added a bit of fuel to the map and got it fired...had to keep leaning it down to get it to run...though I was so happy when I saw it idling at 15 + to 1 afr....I can see no more fouled plugs in my future!

Will be out early in the morning to get some last minute things done and get to the Dyno tomorrow...2pm....
Posted By: Quicksilver440

Re: instigator cuda - 11/20/10 05:10 AM

What brand elbow are you running? Whats that throttle body off of? Looks cool!

Re: instigator cuda - 11/20/10 05:18 AM

Quote:

What brand elbow are you running? Whats that throttle body off of? Looks cool!

I cut the aluminum elbow off an old truck turbo my buddy had...the plates I machined myself...and just welded it together..3 inch id at the throttlebody and 3.5" id at the manifold...the throttlebody is an edelbrock 75mm
Posted By: Ian

Re: instigator cuda - 11/20/10 02:50 PM

Quote:

Put 12 gallons of E-85 in it tonight..put a new set of plugs gapped at .020 and checked the valves.all were good.....added a bit of fuel to the map and got it fired...had to keep leaning it down to get it to run...though I was so happy when I saw it idling at 15 + to 1 afr....I can see no more fouled plugs in my future!

Will be out early in the morning to get some last minute things done and get to the Dyno tomorrow...2pm....

good luck my friend i hope ya have a good day at the dyno

Re: instigator cuda - 11/20/10 04:04 PM

good luck have fun brian

Re: instigator cuda - 11/21/10 09:46 PM

After a morningh of frustrations...and finally making it to the dyno late....finally got to do some cruise tuning on the loaded muystang dyno...got to smoothe out some rough areas in the tables.....made a couple power pulls on 10 psi to just 4800, just to check out the afr....was making adjustments and that was when the last problem arised in the day..my laptop would not communicate with the dfi anymore. and also wiped out all the previos tuning.....I hate electronic problems .

Had to push it on to the trailer.....

Did make 459hp 497 torque at 4800 rpms.....

Re: instigator cuda - 11/24/10 03:58 AM

you get it
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: instigator cuda - 11/25/10 12:50 AM

Man, I want one of those! looks really neat, Good Luck with it.

Re: instigator cuda - 11/30/10 02:22 AM

did you get it back on the rollers

Re: instigator cuda - 11/30/10 08:27 PM

Quote:

did you get it back on the rollers

Just got a megasquirt 2 ordered yesterday...should be here this week...I plan on getting it installed this weekend....less than500$ for the brain,relay board,cables,and test board.
Posted By: CW25

Re: instigator cuda - 12/01/10 04:38 AM

If ya need any help don't hesitate to ask. I may be able to help. I never bothered with the relay board as found it easier to wire direct. Just used my own relays.

Re: instigator cuda - 12/03/10 04:54 AM

worked a few hours tonight and got the stimulator and relay board built.....man, it is actually very fun and gratifying to build it up myself....here's a few pics....

Just the main ecu to do tomorrow night!

Posted By: PHJ426

Re: instigator cuda - 12/04/10 06:28 AM

That is cool, do the boards nest together or are they all mounted seperately in the car?

Re: instigator cuda - 12/06/10 07:08 AM

The stimulator is just a testing tool and is not installed into the vehicle....the relay board is mounted seperatly from the main brain board and connected via a 48" DB37 cable....all connections will then be terminated to screw terminals on the relay board...easy to work with and troubleshoot.

Here is a pic of the main board I just finished and all testing has passed with it....it sure took a while....probably about 16 hrs building everything and doing all testing/ computer troubleshooting.

This has it's own aluminum case it slides into to make it nice and neat.

Re: instigator cuda - 12/07/10 05:36 AM

Looks like you installed the high current ignition driver. That will give you a good grip on the timing.:) What are you going to use as a RPM input? Crank trigger? Dist magnetic pickup?...
Posted By: Spode

Re: instigator cuda - 12/07/10 05:47 AM

Quote:

WOW!!!

x2
Posted By: PHJ426

Re: instigator cuda - 12/08/10 01:29 AM

What is the level of tuning ability can you do with a MegaSquirt?

How easy is it to get a base line tune to fire the car initially and learn a fuel map in closed loop mode?

One last thing can it provide flex fuel capability from 93 pump to E85?

Re: instigator cuda - 12/08/10 02:57 AM

Went ahead and installed it though going to use my 6AL to fire off the plugs....I have an MSD distributor...wired up the squirt to accept the VR circuit so I am just going to use the reluctor wheel and pickup in the distributor for my RPM sensor..just like I had my DFI.

Re: instigator cuda - 12/08/10 03:20 AM

Here is some great reading on the Megasquirt family of control units.....there are lots of options to choose from and really need to read and understand what you need to decide on the appropriate unit....I chose the MS2 which has the ability to fire 8 low impedence injectors in batch fire and full timing contol via map/RPM inputs....also yes the MS2 has e-85 sensor ability and control.....quite a few other controls available with the MS2 they just need to be wired up.

Re: instigator cuda - 12/08/10 03:54 AM

Quote:

Went ahead and installed it though going to use my 6AL to fire off the plugs....I have an MSD distributor...wired up the squirt to accept the VR circuit so I am just going to use the reluctor wheel and pickup in the distributor for my RPM sensor..just like I had my DFI.

Nice, that is what I was running until I decided to go EDIS-8. Doing that mostly for the looks of being able to remove the distributer. Did realize afterwards that I lost my 2 step. DOH!!!Oh well it spends most of its time on the street.

Re: instigator cuda - 12/08/10 04:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Nice, that is what I was running until I decided to go EDIS-8. Doing that mostly for the looks of being able to remove the distributer. Did realize afterwards that I lost my 2 step. DOH!!!Oh well it spends most of its time on the street.

How good does the megasquirt 2step operate....I believe they call it their flat foot or something like that..I am definetly going to wire it in. Any insight on it will be appreciated....

I am also interested in wiring in a E-85 sensor in to atleast be able to verify the blend.

Re: instigator cuda - 12/08/10 10:32 PM

Posted By: Pat_Whalen

Re: instigator cuda - 12/08/10 11:52 PM

Any particular reason you chose to go with the MS2 as opposed to the MS3 with it's potential for sequential injection and 8 logic ignition drivers?

For reference, here is my MS3, JimStim 1.5, and relay board I just finished a month ago. It'll be going into my 440'd 80 Ramcharger.

Best of luck to you

Re: instigator cuda - 12/09/10 04:44 AM

Quote:

Any particular reason you chose to go with the MS2 as opposed to the MS3 with it's potential for sequential injection and 8 logic ignition drivers?

For reference, here is my MS3, JimStim 1.5, and relay board I just finished a month ago. It'll be going into my 440'd 80 Ramcharger.

Best of luck to you

From what I could find out the MS3 could not drive 8 sequential LOW impedence injectors, which is what I have 160lbers..also I do not have the supporting components to allow for sequential control such as either a crank trigger or dual sync distributor....also sequential is only really going to make a difference down low on a mild engine...not what I am really worried about..My motor ran fine down low on the E-85 right before it took a dump, and it was batch fire at that time....

And with the MS1 not having timing control that dropped it from the possible list.

Also the price jump was significant enough for me to atleast get famaliar with the megasquirt family...If I decide I can use some of the features of the megasquirt 3 I can purchase the megasquirt 3 daughterboard and heightend case....

Ripped out my dfi harness tonight, cut off the connectors I will be splicing on, and also unsoldered the 2.5 bar map sensor and wired up my 3 bar into the unit....I just used the old connector and just soldered the cable right to the motherboard and and ran the wires out through the hole for the onboard map sensor. I knew 21 psi was not going to last long for me...might as well have a sensor can register possible over boosting if needed.

Re: instigator cuda - 12/14/10 06:33 AM

The MSII is also a very well proven unit. I agree that sequential is not really needed.

Re: instigator cuda - 12/31/10 12:33 AM

Re: instigator cuda - 03/19/11 09:14 PM

Re: instigator cuda - 03/20/11 05:50 AM

On the MS flat foot shift 2 step thing. I could not find much on it and found there was no real way of having a true 2 step with it. I will be upgrading my brakes in the next while so I will be seeing what comes of that for being able to leave at the line harder. I need to upgrade my rear diff and go to a trans brake if I want this pig to actually get off the line.

Re: instigator cuda - 03/23/11 04:27 AM

Bout got everything wired up.....should be done tomorrow night!

I'm going to look into a 2-step somehow.

Re: instigator cuda - 03/24/11 04:08 AM

Just hook up a 2 step to the 6AL but if you figure out a MS 2 step I would appreaciate hearing about it.

Re: instigator cuda - 03/26/11 03:26 AM

She had fire tonight!....All my sensors were working correctly..though the battery was real low, so could not keep cranking...never got it to idle before the batt was to weak...just going to let it charge tonight....Shouldn't be to much trouble tomorrow to get it to stay lit.

The RPM signal was what I was most worried about though it worked right from the start...
That first hit was music to my ears..I knew it would be smooth sailing from there...I'll let yall know how it goes tomorrow.

Re: instigator cuda - 03/26/11 03:39 AM

Looking forward to it !
Posted By: sanger440

Re: instigator cuda - 04/04/11 09:46 PM

Bump!

I am interested on how the car runs with the MS setup.

Re: instigator cuda - 04/05/11 02:25 AM

Got it idling good....also got my innovate lc1 wideband hooked up..worked good...taking tomorrow off to go to the chasis dyno to see if I can get some cruise tuning done and also bust out some #'s

Re: instigator cuda - 04/05/11 12:03 PM

have fun
Posted By: Hitman340

Re: instigator cuda - 04/05/11 02:12 PM

Very nice car and you have nice workmanship.Hope all goes well on the Dyno.

Re: instigator cuda - 04/06/11 04:48 AM

spent 4 hours chasing a bad breakup from about 3000rpms and up....tried a difernt msd box, plugs, gap, coil,indexed distributor....finally tried pulling timing...almost 20 degrees and it cleaned up....really weird...had to have 20 deg of timing for it to run clean(really weird)....made some pulls at 10psi...motor was breaking up again at 5500...made 650rwhp at 5500....motor should keep pulling till 6800-7000....at 10pm the cops showed up so we had to call it a night...going to swap out the plugs tomorrow with a wider gap (had the gap at about .012 to try and figure out if it was a weak ignition).....definetly was some weird stuff going on.

Re: instigator cuda - 04/06/11 05:29 PM

I am having a break up problem at around 5000 rpms. It just won't pull past it. Until then, it's great.

At the request of the tuner, I am putting on a crank trigger, which he said will solve the problem. He said he had multiple cars do this and a crank trigger solved it.
Posted By: CUUDAK

Re: instigator cuda - 04/06/11 06:12 PM

Quote:

I am having a break up problem at around 5000 rpms. It just won't pull past it. Until then, it's great.

At the request of the tuner, I am putting on a crank trigger, which he said will solve the problem. He said he had multiple cars do this and a crank trigger solved it.

Are you using Strictly Performance to tune yours??

Re: instigator cuda NEW DYNO #"S - 04/07/11 03:43 AM

Mustang dyno (usually 10-15% less than a dynojet)
11psi----710hp 6100 rpms , 764 torque 4400rpms unloaded dyno pull(670 loaded)

17psi----846hp loaded dyno

23 psi----980hp 6500 rpm, 900 torque 5200rpm (loaded pull)

basically picked up 200hp than from before at about 3 pounds less boost.....I was going to add just a tad to see 4-digits but a little water spurted from the radiator spout on the 980 pull... (no overflow yet) so want to re-torque heads first before pushing it any harder.

All on e-85 ,possible still winter blend, so I was a little hesistant to keep pushing....

Re: instigator cuda NEW DYNO #"S - 04/07/11 04:15 AM

Congratulations ! I really like your combo
Posted By: cold85

Re: instigator cuda NEW DYNO #"S - 04/07/11 02:24 PM

Quote:

basically picked up 200hp than from before at about 3 pounds less boost.....I was going to add just a tad to see 4-digits but a little water spurted from the radiator spout on the 980 pull... (no overflow yet) so want to re-torque heads first before pushing it any harder.

All on e-85 ,possible still winter blend, so I was a little hesistant to keep pushing....

Good deal! we had a issue with my car breaking up a bunch and after changing multiple things we found the problem. dist drive was had metal screws from the factory which kept jumping spark! called and ask them why they designed it that way and they said well many times it is not a problem we will send teflon screws for you

Re: instigator cuda - 04/07/11 05:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Are you using Strictly Performance to tune yours??

No, Eric Stubbs.

Re: instigator cuda NEW DYNO #"S - 04/07/11 05:22 PM

Quote:

So what fixed your problem?
Posted By: Ian

Re: instigator cuda NEW DYNO #"S - 04/07/11 06:16 PM

Quote:

congrats mate ,well done

Re: instigator cuda NEW DYNO #"S - 04/08/11 12:44 AM

There are metal screws that hod the rotor button down ....though a new cap and rotor fixed the spark scatter, rough running, the car still picks up 6 degrees timing from 1500-4000rpms.....we tuned it out using the timing table.

Re: instigator cuda NEW DYNO #"S - 04/08/11 03:19 AM

Going back to the dyno now that the spark is fixed?
Posted By: whiskeyrunner

Re: instigator cuda NEW DYNO #"S - 04/20/11 03:15 AM

ive got to ask...how much do you have in the motor with the whole turbo deal? amazing horsepower for sure! very interested in doing something like this to my car. ball park figure
© 2024 Moparts Forums