Moparts

Question about burnout technique

Posted By: tywebb2

Question about burnout technique - 10/27/10 03:21 AM

I have always blipped the tires in the water box, rolled forward. Waited for the go signal from the track official then pump my brakes, hold the line lock, and hit the throttle with the car in 2nd gear holding it between 4K-5K. The problem I have is the rear end of the car always starts to slide to the left midway through the burnout.

Is there something I should be doing differently to eliminate this problem? I see guys go up there and smolder the tires and the rear of their cars don't move????
Posted By: savoyracer

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/27/10 03:28 AM

Start in second, but very quickly get into third, hit 4500, release the line lock, and bring 'er out. should not slip sideways on ya more wheel speed helps stop that problem
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/27/10 03:32 AM

Could be the track, the clutches going out in your rear end or you not getting on the throttle hard/fast enough.
Posted By: HemiDart68

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/27/10 01:00 PM

I gotta ask, whats the point of blipping the tires in the water box. Seems like all that is accomplished is throwing more water on the undercarrige of the car.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/27/10 01:28 PM

Quote:

more wheel speed helps stop that problem

That's correct, you need more wheel speed to keep it straight.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/27/10 03:07 PM

Quote:

I gotta ask, whats the point of blipping the tires in the water box. Seems like all that is accomplished is throwing more water on the undercarrige of the car.

All it does is throw water up in the wheelwell so it can drip down onto the tire later. Just roll through the water.
Posted By: HemiDart68

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/27/10 03:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

All it does is throw water up in the wheelwell so it can drip down onto the tire later. Just roll through the water.

too add to it, roll through the water puddle and start your burnout on the wet pavement, not in the puddle.
Posted By: poisondart2

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/27/10 03:32 PM

Quote:

I have always blipped the tires in the water box, rolled forward. Waited for the go signal from the track official then pump my brakes, hold the line lock, and hit the throttle with the car in 2nd gear holding it between 4K-5K. The problem I have is the rear end of the car always starts to slide to the left midway through the burnout.

Is there something I should be doing differently to eliminate this problem? I see guys go up there and smolder the tires and the rear of their cars don't move????

Would depend on how big a tire you are using vs power. More air in the tire would get it spinning quicker ( wheel speed ) and I wouldnt blip it in the water.

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/27/10 11:38 PM

I just always blipped the tires in the water because that is the signal the track official gave me. They always bring me up whirl their finger when I hit the water and then stop you in front of the water for the burnout. Based on the feedback I will make sure to roll through from now on.

I am running 28" ET Street Radials with 4.10 gears in the rear.

Is the verdict that I should be starting in 2nd with a quick shift to 3rd in order to get the wheel speed up vs. staying in 2nd like I have always done?
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/27/10 11:50 PM

I roll through the water in 2nd gear and start my burnout and get it up to 5000 rpm`s or so then shift into 3rd for a few seconds and slowly roll out of it. I used to come out under power but was warned by a few that it`s not too good on parts so who knows.
Posted By: nss guy

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/28/10 12:05 AM

I roll very slowly thru the water and about 1ft past the water. 2nd gear and hold about 5k for 3 sec. let off button and ease off the gas as it comes forward. the newer compounds only need a small amount of heat and the tire cleaned off of any debris.

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/28/10 12:13 AM

If 3 seconds is all it needs then I know I am getting at least that before the rear starts to slide.
Posted By: wheelsup68dart

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/28/10 12:25 AM

Another vote for no spinning the tires(blip) of the throttle. I roll completely out of water to where the previous burnout was done. Set line lock and don't be afraid to get the ball rolling, get on it strong and fast and be ready to go to third as the tach sees fit, 1 second or so in high gear, let off the button and stay in it till rear starts to grab and off the gas.
Posted By: AAR-B4

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/28/10 12:27 AM

Blipping the throttle is needed at some tracks.
A 32" tire that's over 8 feet of rollout, some tracks might only have a couple of feet down.

Blip'em. My
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/28/10 12:45 AM

I think he only has a 28" tire. The tire will push a puddle of water ahead of it. Plenty of water on the tire.

Pull up ahead of water
LIne lock second gear
Stand on it
When the engine rips put it in high
If running a rev limiter on the line lock pump the button to release the line lock but keep the rev limiter working and when you feel the car start to lunge back out of the throttle.
Pull on up and turn the top buld on and wait on the goof that can't figure out how to stage.
Posted By: goody340g

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/28/10 12:53 AM

Quote:

Another vote for no spinning the tires(blip) of the throttle. I roll completely out of water to where the previous burnout was done. Set line lock and don't be afraid to get the ball rolling, get on it strong and fast and be ready to go to third as the tach sees fit, 1 second or so in high gear, let off the button and stay in it till rear starts to grab and off the gas.

if they don't put down enough water ask for more. we are not bashful about stuff like that. i would not trust most burn box people, they don't care if you start in the same spot or not or if ur burnout is the same everytime. i've seen a lot of guys in door cars open the door and look for themselves.
Posted By: Barnstorm

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/28/10 12:56 AM

How 'bout these guys that think 10,000 rpms and so much smoke that nobody can see the 1 inch wheelie....or loose the motor?

Attached picture 6271871-100_2208[640x480].JPG
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/28/10 12:59 AM

Quote:

The problem I have is the rear end of the car always starts to slide to the left midway through the burnout.

One thing that can cause that is the caster on one front wheel is different than the other. And, IMO, the more positive caster the better.

I also agree that you should shift to high gear and get the wheel speed up.

There may be other causes...

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/28/10 01:18 AM

Here is a link to a video of my last two runs from the past weekend. The second run gives you a good view of what is happening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvwOtvyu6wc
Posted By: mopar376d

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/28/10 01:20 AM

A good "burn out box" guy will spray behind the box. No need to blip the tires you get the tire wet driving through.
Posted By: Big Squeeze

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/28/10 01:33 AM

Quote:

The problem I have is the rear end of the car always starts to slide to the left midway through the burnout.

Does the car ALWAYS go left during the burnout?.......

When you're driving it on the street (on flat, level ground) with hard tires and smack the throttle during a 10-15MPH roll in low gear, does it go straight while blowing the tires off, or go left?

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/28/10 01:41 AM

In the burnout box the rear always goes left. Off the top of my head I seem to remember the rear going right sending me into oncoming traffic on the street but it has been a while. Guess I will have to take it out this weekend and see
Posted By: Shaker223

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/28/10 03:11 AM

I have always wondered why the slick guys complain about the street tire guys driving through the water. They say the street tires bring water up to the starting line. Maybe with the fronts but wheel speed and heat should get rid of the rear tire water.

What about the front tires of slick cars? They drag water up to the line.

I try to drive around the water and back into it.
Posted By: Kevins493

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/28/10 03:19 AM

Quote:

I have always wondered why the slick guys complain about the street tire guys driving through the water. They say the street tires bring water up to the starting line. Maybe with the fronts but wheel speed and heat should get rid of the rear tire water.

What about the front tires of slick cars? They drag water up to the line.

I try to drive around the water and back into it.

Sprays it on the wheel well and into the wheel lip. Then it drips down as you drive up to and sit on the line.
Posted By: plasticfantastic

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/28/10 03:35 AM

Quote:

which tracks, I dont understand why its needed anywhere, pull into the water, pull out of the water. where you do your burnout is the same no matter if you blip the throttle or not.

i pull in the water, and stop where mike tells me to stop, put into nuetral, pump the hell out of the brakes (got a bruise on the back of my left leg last race), set the line lock, pull it into 3rd gear, wait for mike... floor it, watch mike... let go of the button and drive it out til i feel the rear wheels chatter, lift and roll to the starting line.

if i dont get on it hard at the initial hit, it will slide to the side in the water.

dont blip the throttle, it doesnt do anything positive/beneficial for the run.

Posted By: 383man

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/28/10 06:11 AM

I just keep it simple. I roll thru the water and stop where the starter tells me. Then when he gives the ok I nail it in second hard and zip it right up to 6k and then shift right into third. I hold that about 6k for a few seconds (3 to 5 seconds I guess) until I feel the car start to push and then I let off the gas first and then I release the brake and roll out of the water. I roll up about 10 ft and check to make sure I am now in first gear and all is good. Then I roll right up and prestage. If the other guy is in I come up on the converter some and stage if not I wait for the other guy to prestage before I stage. Ron

Posted By: AAR-B4

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/28/10 10:14 AM

I'm not relying on Mike or anyone at the water box to determine my tire prep.
Each time I pull to any water box there is a decision. How much water is in the hole? How long is the wet spot? Did a dragster just spin water 20' towards the line?
Adjust accordingly. Roll thru. Or blip then roll.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/28/10 10:41 AM

Leon's description of proper burnout is pretty much spot on with mine. I roll past the water, start in second gear,hammer the throttle hard enough to get within a few hundred rpm of shift point, go to high almost instantly. I only hold the line lock on for about two seconds. I allow the car to move forward during the burnout so as I ease off the throttle traction is starting to pull the motor down. I wind up within about five feet of being staged this way.
Posted By: plasticfantastic

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/28/10 02:33 PM

Quote:

I'm not relying on Mike or anyone at the water box to determine my tire prep.
Each time I pull to any water box there is a decision. How much water is in the hole? How long is the wet spot? Did a dragster just spin water 20' towards the line?
Adjust accordingly. Roll thru. Or blip then roll.

mikes the car owner (Mr. PBody), not the water box guy... i wasnt clear on that, sorry,
but again I ask, why blip it, what track do you run at that its needed to do that at, like you said?

I'm not cutting down the fact that you do it, its your procesure regardless what I think about it, (or others on this board), but only am wondering about a comment you made that its required at some tracks.

of course there are things to take into consideration, but if there is too much water in the box then you have someone sweep some of it out, if theres not enough you have them put some down, if the dragster spun water up to the line, then you have your crew person direct you so youre not rolling through that mess instead you straddle it. if you have a good crew member all you need to do is the burn out and not need to be concerned with all that other stuff.
Posted By: Slingshot383

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/28/10 05:20 PM

Easy, in high gear, roll through the water, when the slicks are about 6 feet past the waterbox, nail it and keep the rpm's up just below the chip, roll off the throttle a the 300 ft. mark, you'll roll out to just about the 1/8 mi. mark, put her in reverse, back up to 6 ft. behind the starting line, put it in low, roll up stage and be ready to go.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/28/10 05:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

A 32" tire that's over 8 feet of rollout, some tracks might only have a couple of feet down.

I think he only has a 28" tire. The tire will push a puddle of water ahead of it. Plenty of water on the tire.

Pull up ahead of water
LIne lock second gear
Stand on it
When the engine rips put it in high
If running a rev limiter on the line lock pump the button to release the line lock but keep the rev limiter working and when you feel the car start to lunge back out of the throttle.
Pull on up and turn the top buld on and wait on the goof that can't figure out how to stage.

Thanks Leon, I never thought about the tire pushing water ahead of it, but I have seen the result, so I agree.

When I am helping another racer, I make sure there is not excessive water in the water box, but spray a light coat behind the water box so the tire can just role through it. I wish I had a crew to make sure that was done, but most of us don't and the track workers vary a bunch...

Just note, "only a 28" tire" still has 88" or 7ft-4" of rollout.

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/29/10 01:58 AM

Slingshot383...thanks for the advice but I think I'll pass on the promod burnout technique. It might be a little overkill for my ride.

I will definately be going with no blip, 2nd to 3rd gear burnout technique the next time out.

Someone mentioned a while back that bad clutches in the sure-grip could be to blame. Is there a way to check this to make sure they are ok? I have a spare set laying around that I could put in it but don't want to waste them if I don't need them.
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/29/10 02:10 AM

uneven coming pout of the box can mean a sign of preload also

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/29/10 02:34 AM

I am running 1/3 turn more preload on the right side vs. the left side with my Caltracs.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/29/10 02:48 AM

Quote:

Slingshot383...thanks for the advice but I think I'll pass on the promod burnout technique. It might be a little overkill for my ride.

I will definately be going with no blip, 2nd to 3rd gear burnout technique the next time out.

Someone mentioned a while back that bad clutches in the sure-grip could be to blame. Is there a way to check this to make sure they are ok? I have a spare set laying around that I could put in it but don't want to waste them if I don't need them.

This is what Auburn recommends for their clutch pack check in a 9 1/4 diff ( and I believe it's the same clutch pack in a Dana. Jack one rear tire off the ground ( block the front tires ). Put the trans in neutral. Put a torque wrench on a lug nut on the tire in the air - duh. New clutches should break away at about 70 psi. When your down to 30psi, time for a new clutch pack.
Posted By: Barnstorm

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/29/10 02:52 AM

I think that alot of this depends on the tire, track prep, power levels etc. With most tires these days you don't have to heat them like 20yrs ago...clean and haze alittle regardless of your tranny setups.
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/29/10 02:56 AM

No solid answer here, but a couple of ideas.

You got the no blippy of the throttle thing down, thats good.

Your car is no doubt kicking left,IMO

Getting to a faster tire speed quicker will help that. Also it appears that you are trying to Steer into the slide. Thats a learned tendacy in a slide situation.

But, with a burnout, if you steer into the slide you help promote it and make it easier for the rear to slide in that direction.

Hopefully a simple fix will be, is to get your wheel speed up quicker and quit steering into the direction of the slide. If you put slight steer input against it, you may be able to stop it.

If not you may have a Preload problem or a axel thats not square causing it to dog track abit.

Now it could be the camera optics, but even appears down track the cars rear is pulling to the left and pushing the front to the right by just a bit.

It does launch straight though. And your car, looks awesome mike
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/29/10 04:47 AM

On the posi deal, I had one go away on a saturday. Pulled it apart, shimmed the clutches till I couldn't pull the suregip case together, then took out enough shim to just allow it to seat properly. Instant cheap spool courtesy of Folgers coffee can lids
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/29/10 05:57 AM

Quick question about gear selection for burnout.
I think 2nd gear is correct IF using a manual valve body, but I think with a stock valve body, selecting 2nd will start the burnout in 1st breakaway (no rear band apply) where if you use low 1st the rear band should be applied, then shift to 2nd?
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/29/10 03:04 PM

roll through water till ur on semi dry pavement,put in 2nd gear,hold line lock button,hit the brake peddle 4 or 5 times,then get the revs up quick so the conv locks up,then let go of the button and let her roll,by that time u should have cotton mouth from being so pumped up
Posted By: wmwalden

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/29/10 05:09 PM

At some tracks the guy signals you to wipe the tires. (I have seen them even wipe their hands together.)
Meaning spin them over one revolution or so.
I always thought when you did this, you got the crap and pebbles off of the tire surface before you
spun the tires at 6 grand.
Then just roll through the water and start the burn out.

Re: Question about burnout technique - 10/30/10 07:05 PM

I took the Cuda out on the street today and got it straightened up slowly rolling in 1st and mashed it. It spun hard and went pretty much dead straight. That was with no preload on either rear spring. I think if I even up the preload the next time I am at the track and start in 2nd with a shift to 3rd I will eliminate the problem.

I do have a manual valve body in the trans so when I start in 2nd I am in 2nd.
© 2024 Moparts Forums