Moparts

How much do you work on your car..??

Posted By: Jeepmon

How much do you work on your car..?? - 10/27/10 01:02 AM

I know this is a broad question with an obvious answer (more when it breaks, less when it doesnt) but on average, How much time do you spend working on the car during racing season..??
Posted By: Shoozy

Re: How much do you work on your car..?? - 10/27/10 01:09 AM

In my effort to simultaneously kill posts on both this and the general forum , I will answer about 4-5 hours per week when all was well. Time to check over all safety items, fluids, brakes, bolts, etc. Time to check over the trailer and tow vehicle. And time to wash them all once hooked and loaded.
Posted By: We The People

Re: How much do you work on your car..?? - 10/27/10 01:13 AM

when I have money for parts.........so rarely
Posted By: moper

Re: How much do you work on your car..?? - 10/27/10 01:14 AM

What's a "racing season"?

I've driven my car 4 times this summer... But the farm is coming along nicely...lol
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: How much do you work on your car..?? - 10/27/10 01:14 AM

I charge the battery and wipe the dust off
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: How much do you work on your car..?? - 10/27/10 01:18 AM

During the race season for 10+ seasons I worked on my race car almost 24/7. The race car is kept at my business along side a bunch of trucks that I work on. I had a group of 6 guys who crewed on my race team, they would be down at my race shop at night working on my race car while I was repairing a truck for use the next day. I'd build the motor during the day and they would put it in at night. It works good as I don't waste time comuting, I would be at work for 18 hours a day everyday always thinking about the race car.

I've been working out of the same shop now for 26 years.
Posted By: racerx

Re: How much do you work on your car..?? - 10/27/10 01:41 AM

Been working on the car 4 about three-4 months now prepping 4 paint,Let me tell you it has been a pain in the(you know what) never plan on doing this again.Hope it pays off.

Re: How much do you work on your car..?? - 10/27/10 01:50 AM

Quote:

Been working on the car 4 about three-4 months now prepping 4 paint,Let me tell you it has been a pain in the(you know what) never plan on doing this again.Hope it pays off.

The first year away from racing I did a total restore on my gold car including paint, I worked on it every extra minute away from work at home. It only took me 10 months total, start to end by myself. I loved doing the body work, can't wait to do it again on a dfferent car. I have 210 hours in the paint on my car.
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: How much do you work on your car..?? - 10/27/10 02:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The first year away from racing I did a total restore on my gold car including paint, I worked on it every extra minute away from work at home. It only took me 10 months total, start to end by myself. I loved doing the body work, can't wait to do it again on a dfferent car. I have 210 hours in the paint on my car.

I'll ship the valiant up to ya so you can love doing body work in between

Rickster
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: How much do you work on your car..?? - 10/27/10 03:16 AM

Since mine`s a street car that I race, I`m always messin with it when time permits. The biggest thing is checking the lash, tire pressures, nuts and bolts and oil changes which helps me have fun at the track instead of finding out the "hard way" that I missed something.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: How much do you work on your car..?? - 10/27/10 03:34 AM

Come on up this weekend and I will show ya..Gonna be doing some heavy wrenchin this weekend.
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: How much do you work on your car..?? - 10/27/10 03:36 AM

Way to much
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: How much do you work on your car..?? - 10/27/10 03:52 AM

Quote:

I know this is a broad question with an obvious answer (more when it breaks, less when it doesnt) but on average, How much time do you spend working on the car during racing season..??

Not much, as litle as possible I'm like quicktree dust it off, top the tank off and charge the batterys, work on it when it is broken or when I want to test or change somethings My car is not fast nor is it a "race car"
Posted By: 77DragracerR/T

Re: How much do you work on your car..?? - 10/27/10 03:53 AM

I try not to think about the amount of time i've put in kinda like how much i've spent
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: How much do you work on your car..?? - 10/27/10 04:14 AM

Quote:

I charge the battery and wipe the dust off

Thats pretty much about what I do
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: How much do you work on your car..?? - 10/27/10 01:13 PM

Very little actually, the car is pretty much bullet proof and maintenance free, hey it's a Mopar. I am working on a stroker short block but the old 360 still gets the job done.
Posted By: FlyFish

Re: How much do you work on your car..?? - 10/27/10 01:27 PM

When nothing breaks, I would say less than 30 min every 2 weeks...and that is mainly to wash the dirt off. I’m a family guy, and I spend most of my time with my wife and kids. A few times a year I go over the car checking problem areas and doing general maintenance for a few hours….but if something breaks, then it’s a totally different story.
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: How much do you work on your car..?? - 10/27/10 01:47 PM

Not much...it's been a tough little smallblock. Gets beat on and keeps going. I wash the car, check the fluids, check fittings and tighten things as needed, and go racing.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: How much do you work on your car..?? - 10/27/10 03:12 PM

I honestly think the type of car and it's ET capability play a role here. Don you know I have a car that basically never sees any love but works pretty well, while the other one sees way more love
Posted By: dartman366

Re: How much do you work on your car..?? - 10/27/10 03:42 PM

Quote:

Not much...it's been a tough little smallblock. Gets beat on and keeps going. I wash the car, check the fluids, check fittings and tighten things as needed, and go racing.

Pretty much the same thing here, unless I decide to make a change or something go's stupid.
Posted By: Dean_Kuzluzski

Re: How much do you work on your car..?? - 10/27/10 05:37 PM

For the past 10 months it's been 3-4 days a week, 5 hours a day. Been trying to play "catch-up" from the last 14 years of kids, O/T, home improvement project and home maintenance . Life certainly got in the way. Trying to shun/limit some responsibilities now.

It's been serious fun and I'm hoping have something finally on the road by next summer.

Re: How much do you work on your car..?? - 10/27/10 06:04 PM

Quote:

For the past 10 months it's been 3-4 days a week, 5 hours a day. Been trying to play "catch-up" from the last 14 years of kids, O/T, home improvement project and home maintenance . Life certainly got in the way. Trying to shun/limit some responsibilities now.

It's been serious fun and I'm hoping have something finally on the road by next summer.

I can relate, even though I didn't really have family keeping me away from the car.
I struggled from 1980 to 2003 getting a nice car ready for the road. First it was not having any money, then having all kinds of funky race stuff on my street muscle car which made it very unreliable and down on power. lol I drove 3 rusty 100 dollar challengers during the 80s I always yearned for a nice one.

I decided in 2003 to rip all that stuff off of my only complete runing car and put alot of it back stock. What a great move because now my cars are fun to drive and no more worries.

It was so relaxing,rewarding and a serious high for me when I started driving it again in 2003.

I had a serious race car so I was just looking for a reliable car and it's that and so much more. It runs way better than I ever expected. Since then I learned alot and restored my gold car and it's just as reliable as my old 74.

Good luck with your car and it is so much fun working on them!! And even more driving them!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums