Moparts

5.7 hemi into 73 Charger.... I need some information

Posted By: 340_Dart

5.7 hemi into 73 Charger.... I need some information - 10/18/10 07:12 PM

Anyone put a new style hemi into an old mopar? What all is involved? I think i read somewhere that a smallblock 727 or 904 will bolt up to the hemi. What about converter? motor mounts? electrical issues? We're planning on making the hemi caburated if we do the swap, but what about spark and other hemi sensors? thanks- Andy
Posted By: lowflyingdart

Re: 5.7 hemi into 73 Charger.... I need some information - 10/18/10 07:44 PM

Quote:

Anyone put a new style hemi into an old mopar? What all is involved? I think i read somewhere that a smallblock 727 or 904 will bolt up to the hemi. What about converter? motor mounts? electrical issues? We're planning on making the hemi caburated if we do the swap, but what about spark and other hemi sensors? thanks- Andy

Mopar makes a flexplate for the converter, use a 904 trans. Starters are a small issue. The Rob Mc starter fits but has issues of it's own. There is a timing cover that will allow you to use a distributor, but I would consider using FI.
Larry
Posted By: sshemi

Re: 5.7 hemi into 73 Charger.... I need some information - 10/18/10 08:07 PM

im also planning this.
Msd have something called the Hemi6 and with a harness from msd you have spark.
And offcourse you need headers and a oil pan(if you dont build your own.
I leaning towards a carb intake from xv motorsports simply cause they are cheapest.
I also plan on doing a custom cam cover simply cause its so darn ugly.
TTI have the motormounts i think.
As for flexplate you can use the stock 5.7 hemi plate if you just cut of the starter teeths.
As for upgrades for me it will be headers, 750 carb, some porting some wild hughes cam ,just to get the idle i like ,with matching springs.
I will also use forged pistons from mopar ~200$ and some aftermarket rods since i read somewhere that you will need to replace the rod bolts anyway.
And then some spray on it.
Aldough i have 3 more builds before this so i guess you could say im in the early stages.
Posted By: V10nacuda

Re: 5.7 hemi into 73 Charger.... I need some information - 10/19/10 02:33 PM

I put a 6.1 into a 73 D100..
IGNITION: FAST
FUEL: Aeromotive
THROTTLE BODY: SLP
HEADERS: SLightly modified SRT Grand Cherokee (There are some places making exact fit ones for cars now)
MOTOR MOUNT: E-bag....But for you I think there are people making them for cars.
TRANSMISSION: 727 with a Mopar flex Plate
(Dont waste your money on that stupid no functioning spacer kit that XV sells!!!!! JUNK)
CONVERTER: 10" TCI 3800 stall that had HUNDREDS of passes in my old cuda

Fun to drive
Went 12.20, dont remember the MPH but it weighed 3600 WIthout the tail gate...

V10
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: 5.7 hemi into 73 Charger.... I need some information - 10/19/10 02:47 PM

Quote:

Starters are a small issue. The Rob Mc starter fits but has issues of it's own.

The Rob MC starter was used on the Challenger drag pak because the steering column and starter want to occupy the same area. ATI has a nice starter option for that vehicle now, also.....

In most older trucks and musclcars where the steering column is not a problem, a regular Chrysler mini starter fits/works fine. Ask for one for a 1994 Ram 1500 with a 5.9 magnum
Posted By: STEFF

Re: 5.7 hemi into 73 Charger.... I need some information - 10/19/10 05:28 PM

Here's mine, 6.1 SRT8 Hemi in a 70 Road Runner. I wenth the motor plate route. I'm also using a Turbo 400 with a JW Ultrabell & Mopar Lite Weight Starter. I made my own headers & used a modified Milodon Oil Pan. I'm also using the FAST ignition controller. I should have it ready for start up this weekend.

Posted By: SRT6776

Re: 5.7 hemi into 73 Charger.... I need some information - 10/19/10 09:23 PM

Some REALLY cool 6.1L swaps in the project forum

71 Roadrunner SRT8
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0#Post5752978

4 door Belvedere SRT8
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0&fpart=1
Posted By: Mills

Re: 5.7 hemi into 73 Charger.... I need some information - 10/19/10 09:24 PM

Both Hot Rod and Car Craft have pretty good technical articles available online in the archives about new Hemi in old Muscle swaps

© 2024 Moparts Forums