Moparts

Project "69 Twin TurboCharger"

Posted By: Wilde Racing

Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 10/10/10 04:52 AM

Hi guys new guy to this forum. I was turned on to this place by the guys over at DodgeCharger.com, anyway here is what I'm working on....

A retro styled charger with twin turbos, fuel injection, and coil on plug ignition.

I have only began the parts buying and mock-up of the engine bay.

The intake is a Pro-Flow unit bought from Richard at West Coast cylinder Heads (http://www.proheads.com/) I'll also be buying my heads, cam and roller lifters form Richard.

I also got the 440 from a friend, it is a 74 out of a motor home. I'm glad it is nothing special so it wont bother me when it shoves a rod threw the block.

Here is the beautiful intake on the engine.

Cleaned it up and painted it, (not sure if it will stay black) and got it in the engine bay for mock up.

I have a small dilemma with the down pipe fitting on the drivers side with the brake booster. I think I will opt for a hydro-boost unit and a type II saginaw pump.

I have a few other parts gathered but I need to finish the repairs on the torsion bar cross member so I can install the trans for engine mock-up.

Let me know what you think.

THANKS
Posted By: xs29j8

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 10/10/10 05:01 AM

Welcome to Moparts... I thought that you might join here too...

Allen
"xs29j8Bullitt" on DodgeCharger.Com
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 10/10/10 03:03 PM

That looks expesive! and cool.
Posted By: feets

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 10/10/10 03:25 PM

Edelbrock stole my idea that I stole from GM.

Okay, maybe not.
I had mine built 6 years ago with a wee bit more plenum volume.
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 10/10/10 03:53 PM

Nice intake...looks familiar.

(Mine is not a Mopar one though...but same idea )

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 10/10/10 04:55 PM

Quote:

That looks expesive! and cool.

Thanks, but I'm just another broke ass mechanic with a family, so this WILL be a budget build...

Quote:

Edelbrock stole my idea that I stole from GM.

Okay, maybe not.
I had mine built 6 years ago with a wee bit more plenum volume.

That looks amazing, you got any more pictures of it?

Quote:

Welcome to Moparts... I thought that you might join here too...

Allen
"xs29j8Bullitt" on DodgeCharger.Com

Hey, I figured this place might be a bit more helpful for some of the performance aspects of my build... Thanks for the heads up about this place....

Quote:

Nice intake...looks familiar.

(Mine is not a Mopar one though...but same idea )

No yours is not a mopar, but have NO idea how close I came to installing one of those engines in my charger.... I kinda like them...

Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 10/10/10 05:43 PM

Nice

Cool thing about the LS Edelbrock intake, is the handy spots to mount the coils inbetween the runners. (just took me a couple days figuring out how to, and then making the mounts)

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 10/10/10 07:19 PM

Keep posting on DC.Com too... I plan to follow your project. A long time ago (early 1990s), I started a twin turbo 440 development project myself. It was going to be a Daytona clone, painted Petty Blue like Radke's car. I did layouts and started a few mock-ups of some components, and even bought an old derelict 1969 Charger that I was going to cut the front end off of and use the engine bay to mock-up & fabricate everything right in my garage. The project was shelved when a job change had me relocate again back up to Fort Worth...

I even developed several logo designs for use on the car. They are still packed away somewhere, but here is a quickly cobbled together example of about how one looked IIRC...

XS

Attached picture 6243045-440TTV8_V5PB_500W.jpg

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 10/12/10 04:09 PM

Allen, you never cease to amaze me with the car stuff you've messed with.

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 10/13/10 08:53 AM

Quote:

Allen, you never cease to amaze me with the car stuff you've messed with.

Yeah Kevin, I have gone down a lot of roads in the hobby... those roads now being littered with my abandoned projects...

I even recently considered reviving the twin turbo engine as part of my latest secret project... then I saw this project... and the intake But, I am having enough trouble just doing a straight forward restoration of my Charger 500, so it is unlikely I will ever attempt it.

I will be following this project though, as I have followed yours over the years...
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 10/13/10 04:53 PM

just wanted to give you a

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 10/14/10 04:22 PM

Thanks guys, I got some more stuff for the project..

two 38mm Tial gates and a 50 mm "Q" blow off valve.

I also started on the floor repairs, sub-frame connectors, and brake booster mod..

I had two panels to repair in the floor. I also had to repair the cross-member.

I did a bunch of searching for sub-frame connectors, but didn't find I type I liked. The style that formed to the bottom floor pan looked nice when installed but I was a little worried about their strength, at one point they are only 2 or so inches thick, so I opted to loose a little ground clearance to gain in strength.

Cut but still need a few clearance mods...

The brake booster/down-pipe issue is hopefully solved with this new beautiful piece of equipment. It is out of a 05 Silverado Duramax, I'll have to do some modifications to the depth of the new hydro pump, more on this later...

That's all for now, I have a lot more body/floor pan work before I can mount the trans and get going on the turbos.....

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 10/15/10 02:47 AM

Quote:

That looks amazing, you got any more pictures of it?

It would have been nice to have a larger engine compartment like your car has.

Here's the right header under construction:

That one was easy. The exhaust went just above the motor mount and straight back.
The driver's side, as I'm sure you're well aware, was a bit more complicated.

Everybody here can point out my biggest mistake. The manifolds were larger in diameter than the turbine inlets. That let the exhaust slow down before reaching the turbo.
Others will point out the poor angle on the waste gates. That was necessary. I had to keep them under the hood and not block any more access to parts of the engine.
The driver's side down pipe disconnected below the steering shaft but above the torsion bars. There was a disconnect in the passenger side pipe just before the bell housing. Typical three bolt header flange style joints were used. They leaked incessantly, possibly due to poor installation.

I never had a problem with the alternator. It showed no signs of heat stress despite being bracketed by exhaust for thousands of miles, including the Dallas to Green Bay and back Power Tour.

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 10/15/10 12:47 PM

Have you thought about putting the turbos in front of the core support? lots of room up there. I might try that w/ this car at some point.

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 10/15/10 02:29 PM

I have less than 5 inches between the core support and grille.
I know the Chargers have more room. The Imperial has even more.

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 10/15/10 02:59 PM

yeah I know the Plymouth is tight, but I have what seems like a foot... and yes the Imp should have plenty.

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 10/16/10 06:56 AM

I plan on relocating the radiator to the other side of the support. The air to water set-up will need to find and possibly the A/C condenser as-well. The actual air to water cores will be in the fenders though.

I did get a bit more done on the floor this week. I'll post up some pictures once I get them off my phone....

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 10/22/10 05:18 PM

Here is a small update on the charger...

Sub-frame connectors welded in, but not finished. I'm going to do a little clean up grinding...

Floor tunnel almost done. Man, do I suck at panel replacement.

New parts..... A starter that is not the size of a small aircraft carrier, Type II Saginaw steering pump, pulley, and bracket. Lots of fab work is going to be required for the accessorys, and right now I'm searching for a smaller alternator. I'm doing all this to gain room for the turbos...

And I got some seats. I had planed on restoring the factroy seats, but then I got this wild hair to find some late model dodge charger seats... While searching I remembered how much I like the late model GTO seat, plus I always wanted some for my truck... SO....

Just need to get the lame "G T O" off them... lol

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 10/22/10 06:12 PM

plenty of room up here...

Attached picture 6263517-DSCN0970.JPG
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 10/22/10 10:07 PM

Problem with that is the ammount of heat blowing back on the radiator and engine.

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 10/22/10 10:20 PM

Quote:

Problem with that is the ammount of heat blowing back on the radiator and engine.

actullay there's enough room to put them almost beside the rad. My car has no head light buckets so I have a TON of room. You could also shield them if needed. I guess it depends on the size and the amount of boost you want to run.

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 10/23/10 01:53 PM

It also depends on how much you want to cut up the car. A radiator support is a pretty important piece of the car's structure. Hacking it will seriously weaken the front of the car.
If you plan on stuffing turbos up there hacking will be required. If you try to run the plumbing under the support your ground clearance will be greatly reduced. Forget about pulling up to parking curbs and entering steep driveways.

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 10/23/10 05:00 PM

I plan on mounting the turbos near each valve cover, route the charge pipe threw the front upper "A" arm acentric bolt adjustment hole, into twin air to water coolers located in the fender, Then back into the engine bay by going under the frame just in front of the k member. Should require no cutting of fenders, just relocate all accessorys, radiator, and a bunch of heat shields. The charge pipe will be 2" out of the turbos and 2 1/2 - 3" from the coolers to the intake. It will cause no ground clearance issue as the the k member will be lower than the pipe...

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 10/24/10 06:06 AM

Running them in front of the radiator support will cause ground clearance issues. Doing it your way should not.

Doing it your way will present other issues.

1) How are you going to reach your spark plugs? I used those access holes or had to jack up the car and get under it.

2) Will your tires clear the piping when turned? Keep in mind that the tires need room to move vertically when turned. The piping will have to turn sharply upwards and run to the top of the fender and then forward so the tire doesn't make contact.

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 10/24/10 03:11 PM

Not too worried about the plug access at the moment, I'll build the headers to allow room for plug removal. It may not be easy but I figure, once this pig is up and running I'll only need to pull the plugs to check them every once and a while. It will be running Wide band Closed loop fuel control...

As far as the tire clearance.... I didn't even think of that lol....

IF I cant get the tires to clear, I'll be forced to cut a small hole in the fender well closer to the front of the radiator support. I plan on making this car hold a turn as well as run 9's so the front tires can't just be little pizza cutters...

I was just using those holes because it would be less intrusive if I were to ever return the car to a more stock restoration.....
Posted By: pete

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 10/24/10 06:17 PM

If you ever want any ideas or to look at one done just holler I'm just a few miles away in Sparks. Pete

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 10/24/10 07:41 PM

I'd love to see your set-up. I work in sparks so I'm there everyday. Let me know when is a good time...

Thanks

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 10/25/10 08:10 PM

I strongly suggest you make accessing the plugs a priority! It really sucked to have to wait for the exhaust to cool before I could pull the plugs or check for loose wires.
Those nifty Mechanix gloves don't cover arms and elbows.

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 10/25/10 09:00 PM

What are your work hours, and where abouts is work at? Pete

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 10/25/10 10:45 PM

Wcsd on kleepe. I work from 1-10:00 pm

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 10/27/10 06:22 PM

Maybe Fri. before you work or possibly this weekend or? Let me know what's convenient.
Pete

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 10/28/10 08:32 AM

How about next Tuesday around noon? Is summit too far for you? Or we could meet BJ's on prater and I'll buy you lunch???....

Let me know, thanks again

Dusty

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 10/28/10 01:04 PM

Tues. is probably fine, but I will have to wait until Mon. to verify that I'm not working. Pete
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 10/29/10 07:44 PM

Very cool to see what you have done so far. I am in the process of gathering parts for my twin turbo, Alum Keith Black, twin plug Hemi, Drag Radial project Challenger. Sorry, no good pictures, just on my cell phone of the parts so far.

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 10/30/10 02:29 AM

Quote:

Tues. is probably fine, but I will have to wait until Mon. to verify that I'm not working. Pete

Give me a cal if you'd like once you find out monday

775-530-8756
Dusty
Posted By: Saskabusa

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 12/04/10 09:36 PM

Quote:

Hi guys new guy to this forum. I was turned on to this place by the guys over at DodgeCharger.com, anyway here is what I'm working on....

A retro styled charger with twin turbos, fuel injection, and coil on plug ignition.

Thats quite the project. What are you going to use for electronics/ engine controller? Are you using the Edelbrock stuff?

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 12/07/10 06:56 AM

Quote:

Thats quite the project. What are you going to use for electronics/ engine controller? Are you using the Edelbrock stuff?

Nope, I'll be using the latest Megasquirt stuff with LS1 coil on plug.

A little update,

I got my new (used) alternator. 130amp Denso, and a rebuilt Sanden r12/r134 a/c pump. I've been on vacation and have been working on a side project so nothing else has been done.... But IF my little side project works out, I'll have a nice 1949 Rockwell/Delta band saw that cuts up to 6" of metal....

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 12/24/10 02:18 AM

Got the turbos into position. now comes the fun of building the headers and down pipes. I plan on using 1 3/4 primers and 3" down pipe.

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 12/28/10 04:30 PM

Headers going together.

The housings are split scroll so I am trying to take advantage of that. Number one and five will feed the front portion. Number three and seven will feed the rear.

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 01/06/11 08:26 PM

Invested a few more hours in the drivers side manifold........

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 01/06/11 09:45 PM

Where will the wastegate mount? It needs to see all 4 cylinders.

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 01/07/11 01:38 AM

Quote:

The wastegates will be between the turbo and engine. Im keeping the drive presssure as segregated as possible. My plan is to use 1 1/2 pipe centered between the two sides of the primerys. The wastegate supply pipe will have a divider the runs up to the wastegate valve face..... Clear as mud?

I did the same thing with my silverado, it seamed to work ok....

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 01/07/11 05:44 PM

Well I got the overall header design done. I still need to finish the merge at the flange for number one and five. and tack number five. The headers are as equal length as I have patience for, Number three is about an inch to short..

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 01/19/11 08:41 AM

I got the drivers side header all tacked together. I need adjust one primary that rolled while tacking, but now I just need to make a device to hold the stupid thing and weld her up....:nod:

here is a few shots of the last merge, what a pain.....

Posted By: B1KILLER

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 01/19/11 10:09 AM

Nyce

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 01/23/11 04:44 PM

Quote:

Nyce

Not as nice as your sig, but thanks....

I got a few supplies the other day. I could not stand the titanic looking factory water pump and my planed belt routing wont allow a full on electric water pump, I decided to go with a cheap cast aluminum one from 440 source.

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 01/23/11 05:24 PM

Quote:

I decided to go with a cheap cast aluminum one from 440 source.

Do yourself a BIG favor right now. Turn that water pump housing over and stuff a finger in the water passages that lead from the pump to the block. Make sure they are not pinched closed where they turn towards the pump.
That was a hit-n-miss problem with that housing.
Posted By: Blakcharger440

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 01/23/11 07:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Nyce

Not as nice as your sig, but thanks....

I got a few supplies the other day. I could not stand the titanic looking factory water pump and my planed belt routing wont allow a full on electric water pump, I decided to go with a cheap cast aluminum one from 440 source. "

During my buildup I found that the Source water pump to be the problem with my cooling system. I replaced the pump with an over the counter unit and all is good.

This is in a 70 Charger RT,4spd,500RB engine with cheap alum radiator,stock 7 blade clutch fan,195 stat.

Never gets above 200 even in stop and go traffic...that is even without a shroud. But I will install one anyways for numerous reasons.

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 01/28/11 10:04 AM

I'm going back to the factory water pump for the time being.... Thanks for the info...

Well update.... five more hours of hair pulling out madness....

Posted By: Saskabusa

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 01/28/11 04:06 PM

Where are you getting you header parts from?

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 01/28/11 05:28 PM

They are individual 180* bends. I get them from summit.

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 01/28/11 11:24 PM

Does anybody else see the problem here?

[voice of experience] Please learn from my mistakes. The header heat will burn out the rubber shock bushings in a very short time. When that happens, the shock gets floppy and starts jabbing holes in your headers.
Insulate the shock bushing. [/voice of experience]
Posted By: TheOtherDodge

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 01/29/11 12:13 AM

Nice looking headers, but I just think you spent a lot of time making equal length for no benefit. Also, that mild steel may make it a year...

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 01/29/11 08:31 AM

Quote:

[voice of experience] Please learn from my mistakes. The header heat will burn out the rubber shock bushings in a very short time. When that happens, the shock gets floppy and starts jabbing holes in your headers.

CRAP, didnt even think of that... Ill have to remember to make some sort of heat shield...

Quote:

Nice looking headers, but I just think you spent a lot of time making equal length for no benefit. Also, that mild steel may make it a year...

Thanks, there is benefit, but not much according to some. but given the fact I like to do things different and most of the time the hard/wrong way.... lol

Your right about the pipe, that is why they will be coated inside and out. Problem solved.

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 01/29/11 09:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

CRAP, didnt even think of that... Ill have to remember to make some sort of heat shield...

That's the beautiful part about me hacking together my setup so many years ago. I've screwed up so much stuff it's not even funny. Now you don't have to screw it up on your car.

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 02/05/11 06:35 PM

I have started a few new hobbies in the last two weeks which has pulled me away from working on the charger. One of the new hobbies is carbon fiber. I need some non metal custom stuff and I cant mold or weld plastic, carbon fiber and fiberglass is the next best thing I think... I've got a ton of supplies on the way and have made a few chunks of practice carbon. I plan on making the center console out of carbon as well as other things. Ill post pictures of the aspect of the build later.

My other new hobby is machining, I've been a "DIY" type for many years some of my friends say I take the hole DIY thing a bit too far. In the aim of improving my tooling abilities, I recently acquired a small bench top style drill/mill. It is a very old Jet-16. It should help with any of the milling need for the charger project, once I figure out how to use the thing.... lol

Here is the titanic-esk drill/mill, It nearly killed me and a friend of mine when we unloaded it. It is a pig.....

I milled a 3/8 bolt head down to 10mm so I can mount the four jaw chuck to my rotary table. I know I could have bought a allen cap screw, but why? I need the practice anyway.

I also managed to fit in a small amount of header work last night..

Posted By: Defbob

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 02/05/11 06:45 PM

Also, make sure you can change spark plugs with the headers bolted in place, I found out the hard way and had to use a Champion CJ8 plug in one of the cylinders

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 02/06/11 02:17 PM

The mill/drill will be fun once you get the hang of it. I picked up a full size vertical mill 5 years ago and a 14 x 30 lathe shortly afterward. Both machines are from the 50s and insanely heavy. I've thought about carbon fiber but really don't need to spend more money on stuff to clutter up the already tight garage.

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 02/14/11 05:13 AM

Thanks guys!

Quote:

Also, make sure you can change spark plugs with the headers bolted in place, I found out the hard way and had to use a Champion CJ8 plug in one of the cylinders

I should be good to go on plugs and wires. They WILL suck to remove but they will have plenty of room for heat protection.

I got number four pretty much done....

Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 02/14/11 03:26 PM

A not-so-obvious tip -
As it might take an oddball combination of socket, ratchet, extension length, Ujoint, etc, to get to those plugs (and because each cylinder might be different also), when you find the easiest combo write it down and keep it handy!

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 02/14/11 11:00 PM

By what I see on his and have experience with mine the plugs will be easy. Make sure the headers have cooled and go up from underneath the car.

Installing a shock absorber will be a PITA. If the heat kills the rubber shock bushing the shaft will beat a hole in the primary directly above it.

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 02/15/11 08:16 AM

thanks for the tips...

Feets, You got me very worried about the shock bushing. I went out and measured. I have over an inch of clearance from the hole face. I plan on making a heat shield but you got me wondering..... thanks..... lol

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 02/22/11 12:24 AM

Well it's time to start welding

I also raised number six primary to gain "air" room for the poor shock bushing..

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 02/22/11 10:49 PM

Those are awesome headers. The work that goes into them makes me really like my logs.

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 02/23/11 04:42 PM

Thanks, The work make me rethink my plans....

Does the shock bushing gap look a bit better to you? I'm still kinda worried (thanks to you) about the side of the bushing nearest the cab.. I hope a heat shield and a urethane bushing will work.....
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 02/24/11 02:28 AM

Nice work on the headers! Man I want to put a hair dryer or 2 on my Dart and lookin at the very limited build ups there are on Mopars twins seem to be the better fit in the engine compartment. Other than the expense of have to buy 2 of everything!

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 02/24/11 03:44 PM

Quote:

Nice work on the headers! Man I want to put a hair dryer or 2 on my Dart and lookin at the very limited build ups there are on Mopars twins seem to be the better fit in the engine compartment. Other than the expense of have to buy 2 of everything!

Your right, two are kinda easier on fittment, but not when it comes to things like intercoolers and charge pipe routing.....

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 02/24/11 08:25 PM

Wow those look good. you should send them to china and have a 100 sets made. I'm sure you sell every set.

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 02/25/11 03:55 AM

Quote:

Wow those look good. you should send them to china and have a 100 sets made. I'm sure you sell every set.

Thanks.. The problem with that idea is that if I sent them to china the welds will look like I welded them....

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 02/25/11 02:57 PM

What do you want for a set? I know I just dropped this motor but you have to plan ahead ya kinow. Very impressive. Did you tack right thru the hose clamp?

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 02/25/11 04:42 PM

No, I took the clamps off one by one as I tacked. As far as price.... yikes, I have no idea a lot??? And with all the room clearance issues, I dont think I could mass produce, each set would have to be custom made for each car....

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 02/25/11 07:33 PM

Quote:

Does the shock bushing gap look a bit better to you? I'm still kinda worried (thanks to you) about the side of the bushing nearest the cab.. I hope a heat shield and a urethane bushing will work.....

I'm glad that someone is learing from one of my mistakes. Now if I could only learn from them....

You should be okay with that much air. Will the urethane melt before the rubber breaks up? My rubber bushings never melted. They got cooked and fell off in pieces. A little wrap or light heat shield should do the trick.

It's hard to see the clearance from this angle but the driver's side had no issues at all. The passenger side was so close that when the bushing died the threaded end of the shock beat a dent into the header.

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 05/03/11 07:47 AM

Back from the dead..... I have been moving to a new house this past month so it has been a while sense I got and "Charger time". I did manage to find time to weld up one header. It is not totally done but I'll finish it up when I weld the waste gate and the seven sensor fittings........

You can see my "poor man's TIG" in the background of the first shot. That is what I'll be using for most of the joints......

I also spent some time cleaning the old turbos up... BTW, I know the paint wont last very long at all, but the stuff is some of the best exhaust paint I have found. It is John Deere "Muffler black" if you care...

That's all for now, I did order a few EGT probes to aid in the placement planing ahead.

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 05/03/11 01:55 PM

Man I hope you plan on running those iron heads (or something exactly the same), Be a shame to mock all that up, use a set of aluminum heads and have none of that fit anymore.

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 05/03/11 03:03 PM

I hope the aluminum heads I plan on getting some day are not all that different. LOL

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 05/03/11 05:12 PM

Quote:

I hope the aluminum heads I plan on getting some day are not all that different. LOL

you'd better get the stealths then.

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 05/03/11 06:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

you'd better get the stealths then.

I thought there were so sort of issues with them?? How much different are the edlelbrock heads over stock?
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 05/03/11 07:22 PM

Quote:

Those are awesome headers. The work that goes into them makes me really like my logs.

same thought I had. very nice but loads of work.
I would recommend you split the flange in between cylinders and make sue the bolt holes are oversized. This will help keep the sealing by allowing some movement when they get hot plus eliminate any possible warping of the flanges

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 05/03/11 08:12 PM

I thought about splitting the flange. I wasthinking of splitting the front and rear cylinders off. I'll drill the holes out.

Thanks
Posted By: Boosted

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 05/06/11 06:29 PM

Instead of Stealths you could always get the MP Stage 6 heads.... I love mine..

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 05/06/11 07:56 PM

Quote:

Instead of Stealths you could always get the MP Stage 6 heads.... I love mine..

I have stage VI heads they sit way high... not anything like stock. They have raised ports.
Posted By: CW25

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 05/07/11 04:35 AM

Edelbrocks and stealths are all standard port and valve geometry. I run the steaths for 2 years and couple thousand miles with no issues. They flow well and are cheap. I am no tuner and I got my 4000+lb brick to go 11.67 first time out on 8 psi boost.

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 05/07/11 07:12 AM

My plan is to have Richard at WCCH port some edelbrocks for the engine once I actually build the engine to make/handle the power.

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 05/07/11 05:20 PM

The Eddy heads push the manifolds out a little. I don't remember how big of a difference it is but if your system is ultra-tight with no wiggle room there might be an issue.

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 05/07/11 10:16 PM

I'll cross that bridge when I get there. if I'm stuck with the stealth option then maybe I'll stick with them until I build another set of headers....
Posted By: Chargerfan68

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 05/24/11 02:22 AM

NICE WORK!!! Keep it up. I think that NOVA is gonna have it's butt handed to it.

Look forward to seeing more progress.
Posted By: go green

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 05/25/11 07:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The wastegates will be between the turbo and engine. Im keeping the drive presssure as segregated as possible. My plan is to use 1 1/2 pipe centered between the two sides of the primerys. The wastegate supply pipe will have a divider the runs up to the wastegate valve face..... Clear as mud?

I am not sure what you mean by this ? ^^^^^^

You are not thinking of actually putting your blow off valves on or in your intake manifold are you ?
Posted By: Boosted

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 05/26/11 04:14 PM

Sorry to stray off topic a bit but I have to say I LOVE THAT CUDA go green... Just damm...

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 05/26/11 07:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I am not sure what you mean by this ? ^^^^^^

You are not thinking of actually putting your blow off valves on or in your intake manifold are you ?

Where did you get blow off valves? I see wastegates in the above statement.
Posted By: go green

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 05/27/11 06:14 AM

Part 1 Wastgate plumbing ( what the frack )

Part 2

He had a picture the blow-off valves parked on top of the intake manifold.

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 05/28/11 05:33 AM

the waste gate and blow off were just sitting on the intake for the picture. The bov will be mounted before the throttle body (other-wise, what is the point right?)

I'm going to start working on the waste gates next. I'm impatiently waiting for my oxygen tank to be refilled before I can do anymore with the headers. The plan is to have two 3/4 pipes merge into two 1 1/4 pipes which feeds the 38mm gate. It is going to be a bit more complex to keep the individual pulse charges separate while still allowing all cylinders to vent through the gate. I like to think of it as a mini waste gate header.....

BTW, thanks for making me feel good. lol ...... My standing MILE goals are the same as your QUARTER MILE speeds.....

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 05/28/11 07:50 PM

Unless you're building an all out race car you will never see a difference with managing the exhaust pulses. Odds are the manifolds will be under greater pressure than the intake.

Just make sure that all exhaust ports can feed the WG inlets and you'll be fine.

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 05/29/11 04:41 PM

I know, everyone told me the same thing when I built my log manifold with the last turbo kit. I was just hard headed enough to keep everything separate then too. I'm glad I did, I have loges showing so pretty impressive exhaust pressure vs map pressure ratios....
I'll see if I cant dig up my screen shots.

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 06/15/11 05:09 AM

I've been busy lately, I acquired a new toy/tool. A logan Lathe but here is a small update.....

Acc. bracket is in the process of be made..... It's like splitting hairs....

I also got a few wiring/computer components. A HUGE thanks goes out to Jean at JB Performance, these boards are his work...

Basically what you see is three boards, the smallest of which is for two EGT sensor inputes, the other two have 8 more EGT inputs, 3-axis accelerometer, SC card socket, real time clock, optional GPS module, 8 ADC conditioners, 6 high current drivers, 6 low current input/output circuits... :huh: These are just the data acquisition portion of the computer system!

EGT board (small) and the main I/O board using CAN communication...

Main EGT board with all the extra goodies...

That's it for now, I have plans to get a lot accomplished this week end so be on the look out....

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 06/23/11 05:07 PM

Flattening the band saw cut....

Bracket roughed out, alt mounted, and wastegates tacked.

I was unsure how to make sure the waste gates were mounted even and near the same angle, I came up with the string alignment idea.

I've has a few people ask how I'm going to plum my waste gates, I basically am building a miniature header for the gate, keeping each pipe as isolated as possible given the room I have and keep the bank divided to take full advantage of the split scroll turbo housing. I've head many think this is a waste of time and energy but I'm whiling to spend the time.... 

Here is the divider, it is thicker the the pipe wall but not by much....

The first pipe of the waste gate header...

Both "main" pipes in, the divider will get centered later.

Here are the "sub" pipes used to allow all cylinders to bleed pressure. The two mains are 1 1/4 the small pipes are 3/4 I think. I can't remember.....

Back on the car, I was going to leave the support on but after some thought I think I'm going to cut it out.

I've started to do the same for the left side waste gate, I'll post those pictures when it I'd complete. 
Posted By: PHJ426

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 06/24/11 01:20 AM

Nice work keep the pictures coming and good luck on the project.

Do you have a link to JB Performance I did a google search but I didnt seem to find them online.

What kind of a data system are you running?

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 06/25/11 05:09 AM

Thanks.
I'm going to be using MegaSquirt.
Jean can be contacted HERE
Be sure to tell him I sent ya!
Posted By: PHJ426

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 06/29/11 01:18 AM

Cool thanks for the link!
Posted By: 9secondsatellite

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 07/16/11 07:58 PM

Quote:

I'll cross that bridge when I get there. if I'm stuck with the stealth option then maybe I'll stick with them until I build another set of headers....

why not the indy ez heads or the sr heads? nice work by the way.

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 07/17/11 09:38 PM

Quote:

why not the indy ez heads or the sr heads? nice work by the way.

I was unsure if the exhaust port flange angle were the same as the stock cast heads.

A little more done. The left side gate is done, so the only thing left for the manifolds is to touch up a few ugly welds, weld in eight EGT probe bosses, weld in two drive pressure fitting bosses, a bit more welding in the merge and a little port clean up. I'm beyond burnt out on the headers, so I'll come back to most of this stuff later........

Here is the progress of the left side...
Connect to holes...

O.K now to move on to the A/C compressor bracket, first, I can not draw well but I wanted something unique. I had planed on a March-ish looking bracket but my wife gave me this idea so I appeased her and drew it up. I ended up liked it enough to try and make it. Turned out O.K imo, but I still have a bit of clean up to it. It also serves as a way to identify what family I belong to if the unthinkable happens, theft deterrent, and more proof I do things the hard/long/waste of time way....... All drawings and machine work was done free hand so don't judge too hard lol...

I plan in building another pivot support for the rear of the A/C pump, the I'll use an adjustable rod to tighten the belt. Never mind the bolt holding the alternator up, it was just used to position the alternator for more brain storming........

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 07/18/11 03:09 PM

must be nice to have all those tools.
Posted By: jrmopar1

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 07/19/11 08:42 AM

i guess hard work pays off in being able to buy that stuff

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 07/20/11 01:54 AM

Buy what? the parts or the tools?

Thanks Mr.Yuck

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 07/20/11 09:13 AM

both of course

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 08/03/11 08:01 AM

hows the soldering coming on that board. better you than me you have too much patience. need to get some fancy bolts for those fancy brackets your making. keep up the good work.

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 01/15/12 12:04 AM

Thread/project from the dead......

I have been busy these last few months with a new job, the birth of my son, and a move. (I HATE moving btw) Anyway, I have had very little time to work on the charger but I'm trying to sneak out to the garage (now a little two car garage) when I can.....

I just made this piece and I'm a bit proud (hints the post) of the way it turned out. I needed some way to connect my budget turbos to the down pipe as these turbos use a sealing ring instead of a V-band. The OE piece is cast so I made this guy that I can weld to instead...

The factory adapter pipe is siting on top..

Seal ring groove cut, inside step turned to accept the pipe and tapering the end to make welding easier.

Finished piece, one down, one to go.

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 01/17/12 05:12 AM

I managed to sneak out to the garage for a few more hours this afternoon. I need to attach my tone ring to the crank, I bought a 440source aluminum crank pulley but it is too thin to drill and tap this is the best solution I could come up. Basically I will machine a washer that will have three bolts that bolt from the inside of the pulley, then I can drill and tap the "washer" for the ring.

I started out with some left over stuff from the accy. bracket, I wanted to save as much as I could so I used the rotatory table to cut it out.

As you can see, I'm no damn machinist....

Test fit, and then rough cut it with the band saw..

Thinning it up a bit.

Chuck it in the lathe and spend an hour or two making it round and adding a taper..

Pretty good I think, just need a bit more out for the taper, then I need to drill and tap all the holes.

Here is what it will look like once it is finished.

Re: Project "69 Twin TurboCharger" - 02/02/12 04:18 AM

I managed to duplicate the exhaust fitting and I finished up the pulley mounty thinggy....

Next up on the never ending list.... Finish accessory brackets including power steering mount, tack down pipes including gate dumps, route turbo drains, mock and tack all EGT bosses. Once all of that is done the engine is coming back out and I can start wrapping up the turbo side of this project....
© 2024 Moparts Forums