Moparts

Using tubes in Hoosier DOT quicktime tires

Posted By: HitIt

Using tubes in Hoosier DOT quicktime tires - 09/27/10 08:27 PM

Anybody run these without tubes?

Is using tubes in these tires is absolutely necessary? I have heard some people run them without tubes if they are not using rim screws.

Thanks.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Using tubes in Hoosier DOT quicktime tires - 09/27/10 08:30 PM

I ran wheel screws and tubes in mine and liked that way to do it. Never ran without tubes, but i dont see why you couldnt. It just nade the tire a little stiffer.
Posted By: BradH

Re: Using tubes in Hoosier DOT quicktime tires - 09/27/10 08:52 PM

I ran QT Pros w/ screws and w/o tubes using the old "coat the inside w/ dishwashing liquid" trick. The sidewalls seemed pretty stiff compared to the M/T slicks I had at the time.

EDIT: I don't know if the standard Quick Time tires have the same stiff sidewall as the QT Pros do. I don't think I'd run the regular Quick Times w/o tubes.
Posted By: MIKES_DUSTER

Re: Using tubes in Hoosier DOT quicktime tires - 09/27/10 08:54 PM

Ive ran my 28x11.5 QTP's with NO tubes for several yrs now. over the winter and sitting a long time,sometimes they would go flat but once I drive them around,there fine.
Posted By: thehemikid

Re: Using tubes in Hoosier DOT quicktime tires - 09/27/10 09:00 PM

...I ran the Quick Time "Pro's" (Cheater slick)33x22.5 with no tubes on the street till the threads showed. Then put on the Quick Time (more tread) 33x22.5 with no tubes for the remainder of the 6 yrs it was on the street. To run them with out tubes & not having them slowly leak down, spread some (I think its ivory) dish washing liquid liberally,over the complete inside of the tire, & they will hold air well. That will give you less rotating weight for ET's at the strip also. There's a lot of weight in those BIG tubes. Just my opinion.
...EDIT: with screw's

Attached picture 6219907-Pic2001-2.jpg
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Using tubes in Hoosier DOT quicktime tires - 09/27/10 09:17 PM

Quote:

I ran wheel screws and tubes in mine and liked that way to do it. Never ran without tubes, but i dont see why you couldnt. It just nade the tire a little stiffer.

Thats how I run mine also. The best foot print with tubes seems to be around 14psi.
Posted By: jughed

Re: Using tubes in Hoosier DOT quicktime tires - 09/27/10 10:53 PM

i run QTPs without tubes...the local Hoosier dealer says that they aren't really needed
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Using tubes in Hoosier DOT quicktime tires - 09/27/10 11:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thats how I run mine also. The best foot print with tubes seems to be around 14psi.

Yep, ran mine at 13.5 to 14 all the time.
Posted By: HitIt

Re: Using tubes in Hoosier DOT quicktime tires - 09/27/10 11:33 PM

Interesting, thanks very much guys. This is a street car and now I'm leaning towards no tubes.
Posted By: thehemikid

Re: Using tubes in Hoosier DOT quicktime tires - 09/28/10 12:30 AM

Quote:

Interesting, thanks very much guys. This is a street car and now I'm leaning towards no tubes.

...What size are you planning on using. The taller the tire the more left to right movement of the wheel in the tire. An odd feeling the first time you notice it like on a highway with wagon track's from the heavy coal trucks. The lower the air pressure the worse it is.
Posted By: BobsProFab

Re: Using tubes in Hoosier DOT quicktime tires - 09/28/10 02:42 AM

i ran mine with no tubes @ 13 to 14 psi
29 x 14.50 on 12 inch wheels
never had a problem leaking air on them

as you can see in my sig pic they hooked pretty good on the track and not bad on the street
Posted By: dragram440

Re: Using tubes in Hoosier DOT quicktime tires - 09/28/10 03:31 PM

I am running 28x14.50 quick time pro's and Hoosier told me to coat them with joy dish soap. They said something about whats in joy brand specific that works very well to keep them holding air. I dont have any screws in mine. I have been running about 13-14 p.s.i. in them and last time I ran I marked the stems and ran it one pass and it looks like the marks are off about 1"-2" . Is it possible the tires turned on the rims? I asked someone at the track and they said if they turn on the rims they normally break the beads.???? Been on there for 6 months and seem to hold air real good.
Posted By: turbobitt

Re: Using tubes in Hoosier DOT quicktime tires - 09/28/10 09:48 PM

Quote:

I am running 28x14.50 quick time pro's and Hoosier told me to coat them with joy dish soap. They said something about whats in joy brand specific that works very well to keep them holding air. I dont have any screws in mine. I have been running about 13-14 p.s.i. in them and last time I ran I marked the stems and ran it one pass and it looks like the marks are off about 1"-2" . Is it possible the tires turned on the rims? I asked someone at the track and they said if they turn on the rims they normally break the beads.???? Been on there for 6 months and seem to hold air real good.

I had the same size tire with screws and never lost any air. I did pour the dish soap in and moved it around. When the soap collected in the bottom of the tire, I would rotate the tire and move the soap around some more. I repeated this until the soap was fully absorbed. I don't remember what brand dish soap I used.
Drove around many years with those tires until they were bald.
Allan G.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Using tubes in Hoosier DOT quicktime tires - 09/28/10 09:50 PM

No tubes and no problems w/em leaking w/rim screws. Mine are 29x13.5x15`s.
© 2024 Moparts Forums