Moparts

Lifters won't spin..440

Posted By: SILVER67

Lifters won't spin..440 - 09/24/10 03:20 AM

Hey Guys,

I installed the MP .528 in my 440. It had been sitting around for a few years so it had some very minor surface rust. I used a 2000 grit sand-sponge to remove it. I have all of the valvetrain installed and the intake is off. I wanted to make sure all of the lifters are spinning. I have two that are barely and almost not at all spinning. Bad lifter? Bad cam? Bad lifter bore? I'm open to any ideas?

Michael
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Lifters won't spin..440 - 09/24/10 03:23 AM

Do they spin EZ in the bores ? ...good crowns on the lifter faces ?
Posted By: mopardamo

Re: Lifters won't spin..440 - 09/24/10 03:25 AM

Hello,

Unused cam? Try swapping lifters around until you get them all to spin.

Damon

Re: Lifters won't spin..440 - 09/24/10 03:31 AM

Yea lifter face seems okay. Spin freely in the bores too. I haven't measure them though. Is that okay to keep mixing them around until I get them all to spin?

Michael
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: Lifters won't spin..440 - 09/24/10 03:41 AM

Call me at the shop Saturday, and stop over and grab a couple of my Crower lifters....try them. Since you already have swapped some lifters, not sure its going to help, but try another manufacter first.Since its the same bores that its doing it on, I am suspect there, but try these first to save the next step.Bring your two bad lifters, I want to look/measure them.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Lifters won't spin..440 - 09/24/10 03:42 AM

Quote:

Yea lifter face seems okay. Spin freely in the bores too. I haven't measure them though. Is that okay to keep mixing them around until I get them all to spin?

Michael

Fine if its a new cam and lifters
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Lifters won't spin..440 - 09/24/10 03:48 AM

Quote:

Michael

How much spring pressure do you have ?

Re: Lifters won't spin..440 - 09/24/10 04:02 AM

Sure will ! Probably call after 12:00.

Re: Lifters won't spin..440 - 09/24/10 04:03 AM

OOTB Eddy RPM heads springs........
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Lifters won't spin..440 - 09/24/10 04:35 AM

If that cam kit is a few years old you might have got a couple/several bad lifters. Wasn't there a lot of QC issues with the offshore lifters after Johnson Tappet went belly up a few years ago? Improper crowns etc. If those 2 Crower lifters will spin I think I would spring for a set of 16.

Kevin

Re: Lifters won't spin..440 - 09/24/10 04:39 AM

I believe the tag on the Mopar box said the Cam and Lifters are from 2003....... Pretty sure I bought it in 2004

I'd be tickled pink if I just got some bad lifters. Beats having a bad lifter bore I would think !

Michael
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: Lifters won't spin..440 - 09/24/10 05:18 AM

Quote:

If that cam kit is a few years old you might have got a couple/several bad lifters. Wasn't there a lot of QC issues with the offshore lifters after Johnson Tappet went belly up a few years ago? Improper crowns etc. If those 2 Crower lifters will spin I think I would spring for a set of 16.

Kevin

Good call without any doubt that's the first thing to check. The crowns were off center and lifters didn't turn
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Lifters won't spin..440 - 09/24/10 05:44 AM

Thanx Fred I'm pretty sure I saw that on here a few years ago. I can remember stuff like that but I can't find my car keys.
IMHO this why 90+% of flat tappet cams fail. Lifters no spin for what ever reason.

Kevin

Re: Lifters won't spin..440 - 09/24/10 07:17 AM

I think if you placed the lifters face to face you would not be able to see the crown. good lifters always have the edges show light. the NASCAR guys have a mahcine that puts the crown back and polishes the lifter face
Posted By: hemigod426

Re: Lifters won't spin..440 - 09/24/10 08:30 AM

first try very worn old used lifter,any type. if still binds its ovaled/worn/funky lifter bore,hate to say it but, ive honed lifter bores in car complete runing motor intake off with drill motor and wheel cylinder hone. after pull pan plug 1 can brake clean, then flushed with 5 quarts new oil, they will spin like a champ then

Re: Lifters won't spin..440 - 09/24/10 11:45 AM

Quote:

first try very worn old used lifter,any type. if still binds its ovaled/worn/funky lifter bore,hate to say it but, ive honed lifter bores in car complete runing motor intake off with drill motor and wheel cylinder hone. after pull pan plug 1 can brake clean, then flushed with 5 quarts new oil, they will spin like a champ then

with trhe dating he supplied my first concern is the lifters being junk. i can remember dozens of camshafts biting the bullet back then
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Lifters won't spin..440 - 09/24/10 12:10 PM

Sometimes it is too fine of a finish on the lifter base. Take some 500 grit sand paper, put it in the palm of your hand and push the base of the offending lifter into it, rotating the lifter to take the shine off. Clean, reinstall and check again. Works great, I,ve had no failures doing this.
© 2024 Moparts Forums