Moparts

!!!!!!!!Need help wiring up a 2-Step for a 4 speed!!!!!

Posted By: NoJoke

!!!!!!!!Need help wiring up a 2-Step for a 4 speed!!!!! - 09/23/10 06:27 PM

I need some help wiring up a 2 step for a 4 speed... I heard its best to set it up off the clutch pedal..
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: !!!!!!!!Need help wiring up a 2-Step for a 4 speed!!!!! - 09/23/10 06:52 PM

why not off the linelok

Re: !!!!!!!!Need help wiring up a 2-Step for a 4 speed!!!!! - 09/23/10 07:50 PM

Im not understanding what you mean?
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: !!!!!!!!Need help wiring up a 2-Step for a 4 speed!!!!! - 09/23/10 08:18 PM

Look on the MSD site.
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: !!!!!!!!Need help wiring up a 2-Step for a 4 speed!!!!! - 09/23/10 08:39 PM

http://msdignition.com/instructions/Products/RPM_Timing_Controls/8739.pdf?terms=msd+2+step
Posted By: 70HemiGTX

Re: !!!!!!!!Need help wiring up a 2-Step for a 4 speed!!!!! - 09/23/10 08:56 PM

My 3 step is wired to the line lock. I have a 3 position (on-off-on) toggle switch on the dash to switch back and forth between the lower side and the higher limit. One for the burn-out the other for staging. The line-lock button has to be pushed in to activate the rev-limiter.
Posted By: theclutcher

Re: !!!!!!!!Need help wiring up a 2-Step for a 4 speed!!!!! - 09/23/10 10:27 PM

use a relay that will switch off after the initial launch.
Dont want to activate it every time you touch clutch pedal. a couple ways to do it.
Go to umtrdragrace.com for details.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: !!!!!!!!Need help wiring up a 2-Step for a 4 speed!!!!! - 09/23/10 10:38 PM

I have my 2 step wired so it can only work when the clutch pedal is pushed in, AND the line lock button is pushed in. If I release either one, it comes off the 2 step. Having it just with your line lock will not give you enough RPM in the burnout box, and it's hard to release the button consistantly with the line lock button, and be ready to pull 2nd gear right away. Also it will not stutter while using the clutch down track.

Jeff
Posted By: rowin4

Re: !!!!!!!!Need help wiring up a 2-Step for a 4 speed! - 09/23/10 10:52 PM

I have mine wired to the line lock. Never had a problem with releasing it at launch or for a quick second gear change 1.5 seconds after I dump the clutch. Maybe I do but the front tires are always in the air so I don't know. I have thought about wiring some sort of a switch to the pedal but never found one that I thought that could take a beating.

Re: !!!!!!!!Need help wiring up a 2-Step for a 4 speed!!!!! - 09/23/10 10:53 PM

Quote:

I have my 2 step wired so it can only work when the clutch pedal is pushed in, AND the line lock button is pushed in. If I release either one, it comes off the 2 step. Having it just with your line lock will not give you enough RPM in the burnout box, and it's hard to release the button consistantly with the line lock button, and be ready to pull 2nd gear right away. Also it will not stutter while using the clutch down track.

Jeff

The way you have yours set up sounds like the way to go.. I will have to get some kind or diagram to wire this up..
Posted By: theclutcher

Re: !!!!!!!!Need help wiring up a 2-Step for a 4 speed!!!!! - 09/23/10 11:09 PM

I always had trouble releasing the button consistantly with it tied to lineloc.
Once talking to John Calvert, he said he has his switch mounted somewhere just in reach of finger while in first gear. I ended up welding bracket to shifter mount, put switch on it. Much easier to let off switch while closing grip rather than trying to release grip.
Worked for me.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: !!!!!!!!Need help wiring up a 2-Step for a 4 speed! - 09/23/10 11:33 PM

I run 2 switches in series with one on the clutch pedal stop and the other on the trans so the first gear lever closes it.That way the only time the 2-step is engaged is when the pedal is on the stop and the trans is in first gear.
Gus

Attached picture 6213495-burnoutpicturegus.JPG
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: !!!!!!!!Need help wiring up a 2-Step for a 4 speed! - 09/23/10 11:57 PM

I use the latching relay circuit that is shown on figure 2 of page 2 in the MSD link that Fred refers to above. With that circuit, everything works off the clutch pedal switch at launch; you don't need to release any other switch when you launch, and it does NOT activate your launch rev limiter when you jab the clutch to shift.
I set the clutch pedal switch to a point where it does not trigger untill the pedal is almost fully released. That way I can pre-stage, push in the clutch to stop in the 1st beam, hit the momentary switch to arm the latching relay, feather the clutch a little to move the car forward and stage (without tripping the clutch pedal switch and de-activating the two-step), then launch by dumping the clutch peadl, which hits the switch and deactivates the 2 step.
I don't use a line lock yet, but if I did, it would also deactivate by the same switch.

[show off] here's an in car video where you can see how slick it works, right at 1:45 where if flip the activator for the latching relay on and off then go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKfPiVjUdjU [/show off]
Posted By: mike67net

Re: !!!!!!!!Need help wiring up a 2-Step for a 4 speed!!!!! - 09/24/10 12:54 PM

Quote:

Jeff

That's how I have mine. I put a "normally closed" switch at the top of the clutch pedal so it will break the circut for the 2-step and the line lock when the clutch is all the way out. Just in case I forget to let go of the button when I launch the car

I believe the switch was a Chevy brake light switch.
Posted By: mshred

Re: !!!!!!!!Need help wiring up a 2-Step for a 4 speed!!!!! - 09/24/10 02:29 PM

mine is setup off of my linelock button.

I have the hurst pistol grip handle with the button on top and no problems releasing it on launch. Have a toggle switch on the dash which turns the two step on and off..so, waterbox, burnout with the linelock only (that what i dont hit the two step), then stage with the toggle switch on, hold the button and sit on it till she goes green, then let go and grab em
Posted By: Hurst390

Re: !!!!!!!!Need help wiring up a 2-Step for a 4 speed!!!!! - 09/26/10 03:54 PM

Quote:

Jeff

x2
© 2024 Moparts Forums