Moparts

8 point Roll Bar Question

Posted By: Shaker223

8 point Roll Bar Question - 09/22/10 05:58 PM

Rule States:
"Rear braces must be of the same diameter and wall thickness as the roll bar and intersect the roll bar at a point not more than 5" from the top of the roll bar."

My question:
Are these rear braces that extend off of the B bar allowed to have a bend in them? I'm planning on passing through the for easier access into the trunk area? I'm planning on passing through the package shelf area.

Thanks.
Posted By: Randy514

Re: 8 point Roll Bar Question - 09/22/10 06:25 PM

When we were installing our bar, the rule-book wasn't definitive on attachment locations for the rear bars. We mounted our rear bars behind what would normally be the backseat I've seen many Camaro's certified that had the rear bars bent to fit thru the speaker cutouts. We bent our sidebars to contour the stock door-panels, and its never been an issue with tech inspection. Although our bars not certified not a 9.99 car....and at that point we'll need a cage anyway. Randy

Re: 8 point Roll Bar Question - 09/22/10 06:50 PM

Thank you. I found the same thing with the rule book not being definitive. The car will be in the 10's and not any faster unless I find a lot of weight to remove or a bunch more HP!

More opinions are appreciative.
Posted By: ProStDodge

Re: 8 point Roll Bar Question - 09/22/10 07:04 PM

Yes - the rear braces on a roll bar are allowed to have bends. Ideally, the braces should be attached to the rear frame rails above the suspension mounting area. On a leaf spring car, that is pretty far back and is NOT a requirement. An X-Brace is also recommended, but not required till a roll cage is needed.

Also remember the seat back must be attached to the roll bar.

Scott

Attached picture 6211093-1618.jpg
Posted By: StrokerAspen

Re: 8 point Roll Bar Question - 09/22/10 07:20 PM

They have no issue with mine...

-Kenny

Re: 8 point Roll Bar Question - 09/22/10 07:39 PM

Thanks, That is what I was looking for!

Tom
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 8 point Roll Bar Question - 09/22/10 07:50 PM

His is a cage, not a roll bar The way his is done is fine for a roll bar also When your referring to a eight point bar are you sayiing the other two points are to the subframe connectors used as a lateral stabilizer off of the main hoop using them as a reinforcement bars or where are the other two bars going ? IHTMS
Posted By: blownzoom440

Re: 8 point Roll Bar Question - 09/22/10 08:03 PM

i just got my 8pt certed at norwalk to 8.50 with the bars going thru the package shelf and connecting above the leafe spring/frame with a slight bend just at the rear window.
Posted By: ProStDodge

Re: 8 point Roll Bar Question - 09/22/10 10:28 PM

StrokerAspen - Nice bars! Now you just need to attach the seat to the cross bar to be legal.

Re: 8 point Roll Bar Question - 09/23/10 12:39 AM

Quote:

His is a cage, not a roll bar The way his is done is fine for a roll bar also When your referring to a eight point bar are you sayiing the other two points are to the subframe connectors used as a lateral stabilizer off of the main hoop using them as a reinforcement bars or where are the other two bars going ? IHTMS

8 point like the picture above.

Thanks for the pics and advice!
Posted By: onebaddakota

Re: 8 point Roll Bar Question - 09/23/10 02:47 AM

I'm trying to keep the rear bars from exiting through the back window. I'm wondering if I could start at the legally required point(say 5" down)on the main hoop and then take a sharp bend down and exit through the bottom of the rear window and then turn acutely again into the box area to attach at the frame rails. This would keep everything inside the cab and box.
Tom
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 8 point Roll Bar Question - 09/23/10 05:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

8 point like the picture above.

Thanks for the pics and advice!

To help clarify( I hope) the diagram of the "8 point roll bar" is actually a six point roll bar with the two (smaller diameter tubing usually) lateral stiffener to help keep the main hoop from being pushed over in a roll over crash The picture of the roll cage in the car is a ten or twelve point cage, depending on how many points are going forward that I can't see in the picture Maybe I've got it wrong and what I have always consider a six point roll bar is now a eight point roll bar
© 2024 Moparts Forums