Moparts

What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs )

Posted By: JC Childress

What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/21/10 05:35 PM

Just curious what some the fastest small block Mopar stockers are ?

How would a 71 340 Duster do ?

Just thinking out loud and looking for some input.

Thanks for any info.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/21/10 05:52 PM

NHRA,in all of its of its wisdom, has raised the HP rating in stock on all of the 340 motors high enough that a lot of the better 340 racers (and 360 and 318) have not raced them do to raising the HP rating on those motors which raises the cars up in class or cause them to add weight to stay in the class they ran it in. To answer your question the 1971 340 was hit the most next to the 1970 T/A Challenger six pak motors One thing you need to keep in mind when deciding to race in NHRA stock is unless your running another car in the same class your bracket racing, the faster cars(run more under the NHRA class index) get to dial under more than the same but slower class car can I ran a NHRA stocker off and on for a lot of years, the only time I got to race a car in the same class was at the races where they held class run offs. I never ran a car in the same class on Sunday in over 15 years of running
Posted By: Jacob Pitt

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/21/10 05:53 PM

The fastest are the new Challengers they are really flying. A lot of guys run the Dusters in F/SA and G/SA which is usually a 10.80-11.20 car. My Volare is a H/SA car and has to weigh 3490 for NHRA and has run 11.20's with a 360.
Posted By: vcummins

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/21/10 06:08 PM

Quote:

Just curious what some the fastest small block Mopar stockers are ?

How would a 71 340 Duster do ?

Just thinking out loud and looking for some input.

Thanks for any info.

J.C Its to bad IHRA stop running top stock. It was A lot of fun. I think you were building your car for top stock weren't you ?

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/21/10 08:34 PM

It was built specially for Top Stock but since that was a flop, I am kicking around different ideas. I love stock and super stock, just dont have all the funds I need to get it all going right now. In due time I guess.....Rome wasnt built in a day ! LOL....
I think it would make a killer stocker with a few changes.Just looking for ideas and suggestions.
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/21/10 08:46 PM

Overall ET or under the index?

A 340-6 Challenger T/A had the C/SA record in the 10.30's a while back and I believe and I've seen '71 340 A-bodies running around mid-10's in ideal conditions.

But as Cab pointed out, they got hit with with more HP.
Under the index would take some research, including watching all qualifying sheets. But there is no telling how much $$$ has gone into any of the faster combos.

What body or bodies do you have to work with?

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/22/10 01:46 PM

All I have is 2 Dusters. I meant fastest as far as overall ET, not how far under the index they can go.
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/23/10 02:19 AM

Quote:

All I have is 2 Dusters. I meant fastest as far as overall ET, not how far under the index they can go.

the reason this is relevant..is...its the only class of racing your gonna find Truely "stock"
so to find a fast stock car time...you have to factor if against the index..
alot of cars are capable of much faster...
if i was gonna take a stab at a number id say. 10.80s off the bat...
now when you add to the engine capable of that et..
gun drilled axles, alloy drive shafts, seriously worked over transmissions...a very well sourced chassis...with relative 60ft times...
i can see another .4 -.5 off of the 10.80 number
id put it about right there...
(stab a real cam in the car and it would blow that number out of the water..but i digress)

i feel a 360 on paper should get it done over a 340...but some of dem 340 cars are scootin...

cheapst

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/23/10 02:30 AM

Quote:

The model year of the Dusters limit your options also, unless you run IHRA-only Stock GT or Crate Motor which allow non-OEM engines in the car used. But for regular Stockers, you have to use only the engines that were available in the model year car being used. The horsepower factors determine what class you end up and the index to run under. The hard part is figuring out which has the most favorable/underfactored HP rating. But the Mopar combos have been worked on for decades and the fastest ones are pretty fast.

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/23/10 03:28 PM

It may not be the ideal combo, but I'm liking the 71' hi-comp 340 combination in my Duster as a D/SA car.
I have been talking to Bruce at Parsons and Myers and he has been very helpful as well as a guy in Missouri named Brad Van Lant ( last name is prolly wrong, but close..). They are both very sharp on the small block Mopar stockers.

I'm always open to any and all suggestions.
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/23/10 03:35 PM

Not alot of in-depth information but some interesting reading on the car about some details.

LINK HERE
Posted By: ademon

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/23/10 03:52 PM

i see they don't have to run the correct year t-quad? i wonder why they leave the choke plate and rods on when if removed can pick up 50 cfm's or so
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/23/10 03:54 PM

I'd refer you to the rule book ( NHRA ) as I dont know all the ins and outs of the class... it is very specific in some areas ( carb base gaskets , for example)

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/23/10 05:00 PM

Quote:

i see they don't have to run the correct year t-quad? i wonder why they leave the choke plate and rods on when if removed can pick up 50 cfm's or so

Throttle bores and venturi have to be the same size as OEM.
Otherwise, it's the rules! In IHRA Crate Motor Stock, small blocks are allowed a 750 Holley and big blocks an 850 Holley. But they have to retain the choke tower and plate also with no additional mods (besides jets, squirters, pump cams, etc.).

J.C., Yes, the fast Stock racers and builders are the most knowledgable.
Posted By: hotairballoonpilot

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/23/10 05:17 PM

If you are going to work with Brad Van Lant all I can say is watch out! and be carefull. He will lets say make you need to change your pants. He knows his way around a small block mopar. Seen his cars flat run, He use to live in Luverne Minnesota and I belive he lives around the ozarks now. last I heard he was working for a guy that ran a mechanic shop around the lakes that use to live in Sioux Falls. Can't remember his name.

Good luck.

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/23/10 05:39 PM

I'm pretty familiar with the rules, just fishing for ideas and suggestions.

Nothing personal Myron, but the crate motor class isnt my cup of tea. You are awesome at it and I admire you and what you've accomplished, so please dont take it the wrong way, it just doesnt interest me.

Anything I do is based on a small budget. If I was able to run this deal, it would be with a production 340 block, and maybe some X heads. Anyone have any x heads ?

I may also talk to Bub Whitaker, as I know his stuff runs great also.

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/23/10 09:11 PM

No problem J.C., just putting out options.
Sometimes I wish I could have the flexibilty of runnibng a "regular" Stocker. But the CM classes are most affordable for me.

As for heads, don't make up your mind prematurely. Most engines have some options that may work better. The engine builders mentioned will know.
Posted By: mbogina

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/23/10 09:58 PM

Brad VanLant's 71 340 Duster is awesome, I have seen it run high 10.40's/50's in E/SA trim, I am sure he could run even quicker if he wished. Very knowledgable with this combo. Prior to the 340 Duster, he ran a 440-6 Challenger in B/SA.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/23/10 10:02 PM

Quote:

I'm pretty familiar with the rules, just fishing for ideas and suggestions.

Nothing personal Myron, but the crate motor class isnt my cup of tea. You are awesome at it and I admire you and what you've accomplished, so please dont take it the wrong way, it just doesnt interest me.

Anything I do is based on a small budget. If I was able to run this deal, it would be with a production 340 block, and maybe some X heads. Anyone have any x heads ?

I have a complete X head 340 core motor
Posted By: 5343stk

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/24/10 12:12 AM

Speaking from a little experience, Brad Van Lant is the best in the country in regards to small block mopars.

I have won F/SA at Indy the last two years with his power under the hood. Without his knowledge and help it wouldn't have been possible.
Posted By: mr_340

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/24/10 05:25 AM

Are they running the "X" heads in Stock, or the 308 heads?
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/24/10 01:21 PM

Quote:

I your area that would be a good choice. Bubs stuff is fast and reliable. Does a few real fast 340's. To the above poster 308's are preferable but 894's are not that far behind.
Posted By: Dave Watt

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/24/10 02:25 PM

Quote:

Speaking from a little experience, Brad Van Lant is the best in the country in regards to small block mopars.

I have won F/SA at Indy the last two years with his power under the hood. Without his knowledge and help it wouldn't have been possible.

James, to run 10.67 @ 124 with a 1973 Plymouth Duster 340 in F/SA is flying. Quite an accomplishment.

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/24/10 03:12 PM

I have talked to Brad VanLant, Bub Whitaker, and Parsons & Myers. They have all been very,very nice and helpful to me. I am excited about this. I didnt realize that Brad himself had a car.
This seems like a really neat combo. It should be fun and not nearly as expensive as some ( I didnt say it would be cheap ).
The reason I asked if anyone had any X-heads, is that all three of the engine builders I mentioned told me that would be my best choice.
Thanks so much to everyone for your help.
Posted By: ademon

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/24/10 03:47 PM

how bout the 915 j head its the same port and much cheaper
Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/24/10 04:02 PM

Quote:

how bout the 915 j head its the same port and much cheaper

In stock port(intake) configuration the 894 is better.

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/24/10 04:14 PM

what are the casting #'s on the J and X heads ?

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/24/10 04:23 PM

Quote:

2531894 (X)
3418915 (J,U,O)

I didn't know Stock Eliminator allowed heads from different years
but, I don't keep up with Stocker rules.

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/24/10 04:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

2531894 (X)
3418915 (J,U,O)

I didn't know Stock Eliminator allowed heads from different years
but, I don't keep up with Stocker rules.

They allow some "superceded" heads including 576 which are like 308's without the exhaust hole - only available over-the-counter at one time. Just gotta check the rules for specifics.

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/24/10 05:14 PM

On a budget get small valve 915's and open them up to 2.02 and they are almost as good.

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/24/10 05:27 PM

On a budget is me exactly.

What really sucks is that I had the car setup for IHRA Top Stock, which means that the leaf springs are under the frame rails and now have to be moved back to factory location, the front suspension is stock but has rod ends now and will have to be put back to factory specs and the wheel wells have a 2 inch wide strip added in the middle to widen them and that will have to be put back like factory. I would just get another car but this one has new quarters and all the body work done and tons of chrome moly cage, all done by Wisecarver.

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/24/10 05:35 PM

Quote:

They allow some "superceded" heads including 576 which are like 308's without the exhaust hole - only available over-the-counter at one time. Just gotta check the rules for specifics.

I know they allow them in SS. 308/576 has much better exhaust port. (Not that it matters in SS)

Attached picture 6214733-4448308Heads020.jpg
Posted By: rryan5429

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/24/10 07:15 PM

Jamie,

Congrats on the Indy win. Are you coming to the Pierre open this weekend?

Brad's and Jamie's cars are bad fast.

Rick Ryan

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/24/10 07:21 PM

Jamie, can you PM me your number ? I'd like to talk to you about running stock if you dont mind, if you dont want to, I understand.
Posted By: 5343stk

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/24/10 07:50 PM

Rick,

Against better judgement, I'm going to BIR for the last Stock / Superstock race this weekend. Want to test a couple things on my wife's car before the snow flies.

I should have planned better and been ready for the Pierre race. Sounds like a good time. Maybe next year. Good luck
Posted By: 1DGEMAN

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/24/10 08:00 PM

If you intend to run a 70 or 71 340 the 894 heads are best and NHRA just fixed the port volumes so they reflect the true as cast numbers. Chuck Beach has a killer high comprssion AVS combination. Jerry Davis in Texas is very good with high and low compression 340's.In my opinion the low compression 340 with a 4sp is the best NHRA combination in regards to running under the index. The next best is a 340 6pack 4sp but you don't have an e body. Don't be afraid to run a 4sp combo it can be done cheaper than a tricked out auto set up.

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/24/10 08:20 PM

This car is a factory 340, 3 speed car, and in due time it will definitely have a 4 speed G-force more than likely, maybe a Jericho.
If I just get it going and use a mild 904 that will be a start, the stick tranny can come in due time.

I like the 71 hi-comp combo. Maybe not the best as far as how far under the index, but I want a combo with the fastest ET. Just my preference.

Whats gotta be done to my 70 Duster to make it a 71 ?

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/24/10 08:35 PM

Quote:

Whats gotta be done to my 70 Duster to make it a 71 ?

Attached picture 6214973-DSCN2489.JPG

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/24/10 08:39 PM

Thats all ? Dang, you can buy them new. Thats awesome.

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/24/10 08:57 PM

Quote:

Don't be afraid to run a 4sp combo it can be done cheaper than a tricked out auto set up.

Not really. A 4 speed set up new is around 9,000. A full blown Pro Trans & converter is around 7000.
I do agree on the 340 smog 4 speed. That is what I run and have gone 1.18 under and do not have a huge budget.
Posted By: 1DGEMAN

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/24/10 09:48 PM

I have been racing and setting records with 340 4sp stockers since the mid 70's. You don't have to buy everthing new. My JERICO I bought in 1985 has thousands of runs on it. It has never let me down. I have purchased used Jericos as cheap as $1500. Lots of guys are stepping up to the 7"dual disc clutch putting a lot of 10" clutches on the market for cheap. Buy a quick time bellhousing. Long has rebuilt shifters as good as new ones. A bunch cheeper than an auto.
To change a 70 Duster to a 71 is a grille change to the shark tooth and an intake carb change.

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/24/10 10:01 PM

Hey Rod, I sent you an email.

Thanks for your input. I'd love to chat with you.
Posted By: cgall

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/25/10 03:54 PM

Kammer & Kammer in Dayton, OH have built a lot of fast stockers.

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/27/10 05:09 PM

Thanks to everyone for all your info.

Hey Rod, can I get a number to reach you at, if you dont mind me calling ya ?

Thanks

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 09/30/10 01:33 PM

bump

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 10/05/10 10:13 PM

wonder how many will be out at the Dutch in a few weeks ?

Re: What are the fastest SB mopar stockers ( with carbs ) - 10/06/10 01:30 AM

Usually 5 or 6 at least. Smog and compression cars.
© 2024 Moparts Forums