Moparts

race alternator

Posted By: '72CudaRacer

race alternator - 09/12/10 05:01 PM

What alt are you guys using on a race car? Small, one wire alt appears to be best suited, but how many amps. What car model/year can one be obtained that will be suitable for race car, or would it be better to purchace one from performance aftermarket?
Thanks, Brian Dunnigan
Posted By: ProSport

Re: race alternator - 09/12/10 05:14 PM

I run the Accel race alternator, denso style case, suppose to be around 90 amps. It doesn't cut it. I even had it completely rebuilt. I'll be upgrading to a Powermaster 140 amp over the winter hopefully.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: race alternator - 09/12/10 05:26 PM

No battery + remote starter power needs a huge alternator (and a tiny dry cell for the fields).
Huge battery can use a tiny alternator, since it's only got to put back what your ignition and solenoids used during the run.
Tiny battery + big alternator sounds good, but you only have to guess wrong once and you don't make the call, or die on the line.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: race alternator - 09/12/10 05:48 PM

I'm using the Tuff Stuff 100 amp one wire from Summit.I got the Ford style as it bolted on my motor plate the easiest.It's not small like the tea cup Denso's,but it works really good.I "upgraded" from a smaller amp Denso alternator as I'm probably going to put the car back on the street later.The 55 amp Denso style I had before worked fine,but I like the higher amp unit better.
Posted By: V10nacuda

Re: race alternator - 09/13/10 02:12 PM

I had a GM-1 wire deal from a mid 80's truck rebuilt by a local shop. (Mid sized GM unit).

Used the Doti engine bracket with 2 of the thin crank spacers. I know they dont reccomend it with the alt that I used but it works....It gets spun to about 7300 or so.... I will add another bracket to stiffen the Doti unit because of the offset of the al mount & adjustment holes.

Stop by & see us at the classic

V10
© 2024 Moparts Forums