Moparts

carb hesitaition - squirter or?? UPDATE 9/2

Posted By: TonyS451

carb hesitaition - squirter or?? UPDATE 9/2 - 08/26/10 08:59 PM

Hey guys - I had my Challenger to the track for the 1st time at the Mopar Nationals. I only made 2 passes because I was having some carb hesitation. It was mainly breaking up in 1st after I stomped it off the lane, but then it cleared up in 2nd and 3rd. Needless to say my 60ft was less than spectacular (1.68)and the ET wasn't much better (went 11.50 at 118). And it was just too darn hot and humid to care. I just parked it and took in the "show" instead.

So now I'm getting ready to go back to the track locally and hopefully make some clean passes in some nicer weather.

One thing I did try was going from a 33 squirter to a 37. My 2nd pass after the switch was more of the same almost identically. The carb is a quickfuel 950 annular and it does have jet extensions and a 4.5 power valve. Is it possible I need a bigger (than 37) squirter, or perhaps a smaller than 33? The jetting is left as it was on the engine dyno, so I figured it should at least be in the ballpark. Any other suggestions/ideas???

Thanks!
Posted By: Hunted Duck

Re: carb hesitaition - squirter or?? - 08/26/10 09:05 PM

Sounds like the front float level could be to high. If its high when you launch it will come out of the vent tube and splash the carb. Check that. You want to were it is just dribbling out when you shake the car.
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: carb hesitaition - squirter or?? - 08/26/10 09:13 PM

50 or 30cc pump?

Could be the primary pump cam is used up before the mains "kick in" or maybe the secondary shot is too late and the "fat" is buried inthe mains...tough to tell without being there but it's something to maybe consider in terms of tuning.

Could be the float level as Duck said but I'll bet you didn't go to the line without checking that first. You'd probably know if you emptied the bowl and it wouldn't have run what it did.

heavy car big motor/auto/street gears usually wants a lot of shot, I always go with 50's and tune the shooter small rather than run a 30 and "shoot up"
Posted By: 602heavy

Re: carb hesitaition - squirter or?? - 08/26/10 11:00 PM

I always run with a tube across bowl vents , eliminates any spill overs.
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: carb hesitaition - squirter or?? - 08/26/10 11:34 PM

I don't know a lot about your combination,but heavy cars without a lot of gear and convertor,seem to need more pump shot than others.At least in my experience.My wife's old street/strip Duster used 42's front and rear at 3370 pounds and 3.91 gears.This was with with a small block,11:90 car.
Basically,I would have someone watch/video the car and see if it puffs a little black on the initial hit or not,and then you know witch way to go.
Posted By: willp

Re: carb hesitaition - squirter or?? - 08/27/10 12:05 AM

Make sure the front float is not too low also. And the idle mixture is not too lean.
Posted By: joshking440

Re: carb hesitaition - squirter or?? - 08/27/10 03:25 AM

my car wants a TON of squirter!!!! 30 degrees if timing under zero boost. I still havent got the hesitation out completly, but im working on it.

I started with 52 squirters and i am all the way up to 78 using a drill bit. I now have to try tightening the accelerator pump arm springs and bending the arm to take up the slop that will cause. If thats not enough I have to open up the squirter circuit to about 89 also with a drill bit

Re: carb hesitaition - squirter or?? - 08/27/10 04:23 AM

Thanks for all the input. I think I have a pair of 42's and 47's I can try. I'm sure the floats are good and the carb is otherwise in good tune. Btw, I called quickfuel today and they thought the squirter may possibly be too big. Said that sometimes if it squirts too much fuel it can break up or hesitate when it tries to burn/clear up all the fuel. Hmmm, would have never thought that. I have 28's I can try too. I just need to find a low traffic area to do some testing! I want to have the hesitation fixed before going to the track so i can just focus on tuning for power and ET.

Btw Josh, I'm pretty sure you are making a good 500 or so more hp than me, but hope you work your stumble out too
Posted By: YO7_A66

Re: carb hesitaition - squirter or?? - 08/27/10 11:31 AM

Tony,
Do you leave off idle or do you bring up the rpms before launch?
If you bring the rpms up, then try the #2 pump cam hole on the primary side. This will delay the activation of the squirt and leave you more later on in the throttle. Then remember to put it back on #1 when you drive home.
Posted By: MIKES_DUSTER

Re: carb hesitaition - squirter or?? - 08/27/10 12:21 PM

Can ya post some pics of your challenger??

Re: carb hesitaition - squirter or?? - 08/27/10 01:54 PM

Quote:

Tony,
Do you leave off idle or do you bring up the rpms before launch?
If you bring the rpms up, then try the #2 pump cam hole on the primary side. This will delay the activation of the squirt and leave you more later on in the throttle. Then remember to put it back on #1 when you drive home.

I do bring the R's up a little bit before mashing the pedal, but I didn't actually see what RPM I was holding. I know its less than 2k. I will keep your idea in mind, thanks.

Hey Mike - Heres a pic someone took of the Challenger sitting in the pits at the Nats...

Attached picture 6161677-nats2010.jpg
Posted By: fishy340

Re: carb hesitaition - squirter or?? - 08/27/10 02:14 PM

pump cam!!

Re: carb hesitaition - squirter or?? - 08/27/10 02:48 PM

heres another pic of the Challenger...

Attached picture 6161799-stripes.JPG
Posted By: Kudakidd

Carb - 08/27/10 04:31 PM

Go with the 'pink' pump cam (no. 1 position) and a #31 pump shooter or squirter.
Posted By: YO7_A66

Re: carb hesitaition - squirter or?? - 08/27/10 04:50 PM

If you set your pump arm clearance at your idle rpms, and then you leave at around 2k rpms, then you have used up some of your accel pumps fuel capacity.

If you test this, remember to reset your pump arm clearance after rotating the cam to position #2.

What color pump cam are you running on the primary?
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: carb hesitaition - squirter or?? - 08/27/10 08:48 PM

Quote:

pump cam!!

yep, try a brown or blue cam

Re: carb hesitaition - squirter or?? - 08/27/10 08:51 PM

Honestly, im not 100% sure, but I think its the pink one. Whatever comes standard on a Quickfuel 950 annular. I'll check when I get home later.

Re: carb hesitaition - squirter or?? - 08/27/10 09:00 PM

Quote:

Honestly, im not 100% sure, but I think its the pink one. Whatever comes standard on a Quickfuel 950 annular. I'll check when I get home later.

pink wont get the job done. there is a delay from the time you mash the pedal and it starts pumping.
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: carb hesitaition - squirter or?? - 08/27/10 10:41 PM

Use the 50cc pumps, bro and reduce the nozzle size, I don't use a 30cc for anything larger than a 37. a 28 or 31 with a 50 will give you a better overall shot than a 37 with a 30

Re: carb hesitaition - squirter or?? - 08/27/10 10:46 PM

Quote:

Use the 50cc pumps, bro and reduce the nozzle size, I don't use a 30cc for anything larger than a 37. a 28 or 31 with a 50 will give you a better overall shot than a 37 with a 30

but if his air speed is slow I bet he still needs a cam change.
Posted By: John

Re: carb hesitaition - squirter or?? - 08/28/10 03:24 PM

Quickfuel's suggestion could be right. I decreased the pump squirt and the bog was gone.

Re: carb hesitaition - squirter or?? - 08/28/10 05:05 PM

Quote:

Quickfuel's suggestion could be right. I decreased the pump squirt and the bog was gone.

theres a huge difference between a hesitation and a bog. hesitation feels like the motor shuts off for a second and a bog feels like it is just struggling to build rpms. best way I can describe it.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: carb hesitaition - squirter or?? - 08/28/10 05:38 PM

Quote:

Thanks for all the input. I think I have a pair of 42's and 47's I can try. I'm sure the floats are good and the carb is otherwise in good tune. Btw, I called quickfuel today and they thought the squirter may possibly be too big. Said that sometimes if it squirts too much fuel it can break up or hesitate when it tries to burn/clear up all the fuel. Hmmm, would have never thought that. I have 28's I can try too. I just need to find a low traffic area to do some testing! I want to have the hesitation fixed before going to the track so i can just focus on tuning for power and ET.

Btw Josh, I'm pretty sure you are making a good 500 or so more hp than me, but hope you work your stumble out too

My guess is that actually going smaler might be the actual fix, people seldom dont have enough but they often run out..the smaller( like 28's)will provide a longer sqirt to get you up on the carb and eliminate the problem..

huge squirters needed are usually indicitave of some other issue, Imo.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: carb hesitaition - squirter or?? - 08/28/10 05:40 PM

To little and to big of a pump shot can cause a hesitation stumble or bog, not the same thing Make sure all the basiscs are covered first like pump arm adjsutments at WOT and both gaskets in place on both squirters, I have found on most of the cars I have worked on need a 28 to 35 squirters, especially the double pumpers at the track. I have made a car bog with to big and to long, 50 CC versus 30 CC,and hesitate with to little of squirt

Re: carb hesitaition - squirter or?? - 08/28/10 07:46 PM

I think the changing of pump squirters to correct bogging issues is way over rated. And also the 30cc vs 50cc pumps debate. If you have to go to drastic measures to correct a problem it is in the metering circuit calibration for the carb. All of my big carbs from Quick Fuel use the 30cc pumps and average size squirters. The car will be much more consistent if the fuel delivery circuit is correct.

Re: carb hesitaition - squirter or?? - 08/28/10 07:56 PM

Thanks for all the input, it really helps to have all these experienced racers around here! Turns out I do have the pink cam, so that is one area I can likely impove upon.

Just to be clear on my bog/hesitation...I stomp the gas and the car leaves ok, then it starts to stumble/go in and out of power, then clears up around the 1st to 2nd shift and stays clear the rest of the run.

I'm going to try a 28 with the pink cam and if that doesn't help I will try a 42 (biggest and smallest I have). There is a vacant factory lot near my house with a ton of room to do some hard 1st gear launches. If neither of the squirters help any, I'll get on the horn with Jegs and order me up an accelerator pump tuning kit on Monday. trying to make the slicks night test n tune at DaGrove before my kids start school next week.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: carb hesitaition - squirter or?? - 08/28/10 08:52 PM

Quote:

Thanks for all the input, it really helps to have all these experienced racers around here! Turns out I do have the pink cam, so that is one area I can likely impove upon.

Just to be clear on my bog/hesitation...I stomp the gas and the car leaves ok, then it starts to stumble/go in and out of power, then clears up around the 1st to 2nd shift and stays clear the rest of the run.

I'm going to try a 28 with the pink cam and if that doesn't help I will try a 42 (biggest and smallest I have). There is a vacant factory lot near my house with a ton of room to do some hard 1st gear launches. If neither of the squirters help any, I'll get on the horn with Jegs and order me up an accelerator pump tuning kit on Monday. trying to make the slicks night test n tune at DaGrove before my kids start school next week.

Sounds like your dumping too much fuel after the hit...
I'm a firm believer in the 50cc pumps.... its only
fuel in reserve if its not needed... the squirters
sound like they are too much .... JMO

Re: carb hesitaition - squirter or?? - 08/28/10 09:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Sounds like your dumping too much fuel after the hit...
I'm a firm believer in the 50cc pumps.... its only
fuel in reserve if its not needed... the squirters
sound like they are too much .... JMO

after reading that.

Re: carb hesitaition - squirter or?? - 08/28/10 11:57 PM

Just to be clear on my bog/hesitation...I stomp the gas and the then it starts to stumble/go in and out of power, then clears up around the 1st to 2nd shift and stays clear the rest of the run.

This sounds like a problem with transitioning off the idle circuit to main feed from the boosters to me. If all the changes with cams and squirters doesnt help then you might want to have someone look into the carb calibration for your engine setup. Too low a front fuel level will also hinder the transition time also. Good luck with this I know how frustrating it can be.
Posted By: Dartman928

Re: carb hesitaition - squirter or?? - 08/29/10 02:37 AM

Tony

My suggestion would be vent tubes putting out
Posted By: 540DUSTER

Re: carb hesitaition - squirter or?? - 08/29/10 05:21 AM

What kind of fuel pump you running? To me it sounds like it runs good when you first nail it;then craps out until the first shaft.Could it be a pressure problem under high g forces?Just something to think about.

Re: carb hesitaition - squirter or?? - 08/29/10 11:09 PM

well i tried putting the pump cam in 2nd hole and seemed to help a bit but still a slight hesitation. Tried 28, 33 and 37 squirters and they all seemed similar. I'm going to pick up a 50cc pump kit and hopefully that will solve the problem once and for all. BTW, why is it important to put the pump cam back to hole one on the street??

FWIW, I also swapped out my 4.5pv for a 3.5 - the 3.5 is better suited to my in gear vacuum reading as per Holleys recommendations. Anyhow, not expecting anything major, but could not notice anything different whatsoever.

Sooo, my neigborhood 1st and 2nd gear blasts were fun and all, but still working out the bugs... I'll keep you posted on the 50cc conversion.

Re: carb hesitaition - squirter or?? - 08/29/10 11:58 PM

why don't you try a blue or brown cam before you buy the kit?

Re: carb hesitaition - squirter or?? - 08/30/10 01:52 AM

Quote:

why don't you try a blue or brown cam before you buy the kit?

I would if I had them. My carb tuning parts are limited, so I figure I'll just buy the whole accelerator pump tuning kit that holley sells. I'm trying to get ready for this thursday and don't want to be missing anything I might need. I don't race very often, but I do enjoy testing and tuning...and I know i'll use this stuff again at some point.
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Carb - 08/30/10 02:04 PM

i agree pink pump cam,my tires came up after switching..it took that dead spot out completly

Re: Carb - 08/30/10 02:47 PM

Quote:

i agree pink pump cam,my tires came up after switching..it took that dead spot out completly

after talking to him in pm's I don't think it's a pump shot issue at all. sounds more like he's running out of fuel right before the second gear shift. not off idle. the pink has the least aggressive profile but more fuel.

Re: Carb - 08/30/10 03:06 PM

heres the chart
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/upload2/5136759-HolleyPumpCams.pdf

Re: Carb - 09/03/10 04:48 AM

Ok, so I get the 50cc pump kit and install it with the yellow cam it came with. It actually came with a brown one too, but it is thinner and for some reason the pump lever was only riding along the edge. It looked like eventually it could slip off. Either way, I figure the yellow cam is still a good option since it was only one of two included in the kit.

So I take it out for a spin and still the same sputtering crap. Turns out my linkage was binding due this goofy thick gasket I got from FBO. Thats a story for another post. I pull the carb off to replace the gasket and also try bumping up the fuel pressure to 8.5 lbs to see if that helps. I take it out for another spin and this time the car pulls hard like it has never pulled before! But heres the thing. When I pulled the carb off and on, I forgot to reconnect the hose from the back of the carb to the pcv. This hardest/cleanest pull ever was done with a hose hanging off the back of the carb vacumm port.

After scratching my head for a minute, I realized that the pcv was butted right up against the valve cover baffle and not allowing any room to breathe. We had to do a little "massaging" to the baffles to clear the rockers and never caught that.

So I connected a hose from the back of the carb to another vacuum port on the intake and for now the pvc is going to a seperate intake vacuum port.

After all this, could this have been a vacuum issue all along? I wasnt even sure the carb needed that port to function, I thought it was more for other accessories that require vacuum and otherwise capped. And how about the pcv, can I run without it? I do have a breather in the other valve cover. Now Im cornfused.

BTW, Is there any downside to running the 50cc pump?

Anyone ever heard of such goofiness before?
Posted By: joedust451

Re: Carb - 09/03/10 05:31 AM

Quote:

Ok, so I get the 50cc pump kit and install it with the yellow cam it came with. It actually came with a brown one too, but it is thinner and for some reason the pump lever was only riding along the edge. It looked like eventually it could slip off. Either way, I figure the yellow cam is still a good option since it was only one of two included in the kit.

So I take it out for a spin and still the same sputtering crap. Turns out my linkage was binding due this goofy thick gasket I got from FBO. Thats a story for another post. I pull the carb off to replace the gasket and also try bumping up the fuel pressure to 8.5 lbs to see if that helps. I take it out for another spin and this time the car pulls hard like it has never pulled before! But heres the thing. When I pulled the carb off and on, I forgot to reconnect the hose from the back of the carb to the pcv. This hardest/cleanest pull ever was done with a hose hanging off the back of the carb vacumm port.

After scratching my head for a minute, I realized that the pcv was butted right up against the valve cover baffle and not allowing any room to breathe. We had to do a little "massaging" to the baffles to clear the rockers and never caught that.

So I connected a hose from the back of the carb to another vacuum port on the intake and for now the pvc is going to a seperate intake vacuum port.

After all this, could this have been a vacuum issue all along? I wasnt even sure the carb needed that port to function, I thought it was more for other accessories that require vacuum. Now Im cornfused.

BTW, Is there any downside to running the 50cc pump?

Anyone ever heard of such goofiness before?

I said this before, & i'll still say it, if for any reason you need to jack around with pumps/cams to try & cure a stumble or bad bogg is not the cure, its just a bandaid for another problem that needs fixed, whether its in the carbs metering or ign. issues, This is not the cure, most cars (mopars) will run just fine with pink cams & 30cc pumps, look at alot of your Biggs carbs, Quik fuel & so on, they have in most all cases a 31-33 squirter F&R, 30cc pump F&R & pink cams, the only exception being the Dom., if your ign./timing/curve (no vacuum leaks) & metering is set properly for a given combo, all thats needed is fine tuning on the squirters/cams for best excelleration & 60ft., normally there relatively close OOTB.

Now that you "found" a potential problem, get that fixed, then i'd drop the 30cc pump back on with the pink cam & 31 squirter & try it again, you might be very surprized how it runs.

The PCV valve is to release gases from the crankcase, if it was clogged in any way, it will cause issues, most likely relative to what you were having, you can get away with blocking it off & running breathers on both VCs, either way the gases need to get out, emission laws wouldn't allow the gases to escape into the atmosphere, so they got re-burned through the intake, whether the port is on the carbs base or the intake, it gets pulled back in. The 1 way valve on the PCV is there incase theres an ign. backfire, you don't want the flame going back in the engine.

Re: Carb - 09/03/10 08:30 AM

you mess with pumps,cams etc for the best 60'. after that it's a different issue. I bet it was fuel pressure causing it run out of fuel. a lot of race carbs come with 50cc pumps. if tuned right they are not a problem. you can run smaller squirters which I like.
Posted By: moper

Re: Carb - 09/03/10 12:22 PM

I'm not a big time racer but I've never had to use more than a 37 squirtor, and most are fine with 30ccs and 31. It's only supposed to pump during trasition in throttle opening. Not after... After is where the PV and booster come in. If I had to guess, your PCV is fine the way it was. The difference was the lean you had from basically a big vacuum leak. You have an annular booster carb. It's very sensitive to pressure cahnges. I'd go leaner on the shot (like a 28 with the 30cc) and see if that helps. Remember the amount of fuel will never change. It's always going to be 30 or 50ccs. But the time it takes to discharge will. Big squirtors mean a lot of fuel for a shorter time. Smaller shooters mean more time spent enriching the mixture. I think you're way over-rich when the rpms clear 2500 due to the annular boosters and larger pump cam with the larger shooter. It cleans out when the rpms drop with the shift and the acc pump is out of volume.

Re: Carb - 09/03/10 01:50 PM

thanks for the replys guys. This has been a frustrating situation for sure. Moper - I did try the 30cc, pink cam and 28 squirter and had the same problem. I tried 28 to 47 squirters with the 30cc, and only tried 33's with the 50cc. Whats also very frustrating is that the problem never duplicates itself identically. Some pulls are cleaner than others, with the same hardware.

If the annular carb is more sensitive to pressure, would it help any to route the pcv to a port lower on the intake manifold vs directly to the carb?

Re: Carb - 09/03/10 02:12 PM

Quote:

thanks for the replys guys. This has been a frustrating situation for sure. Moper - I did try the 30cc, pink cam and 28 squirter and had the same problem. I tried 28 to 47 squirters with the 30cc, and only tried 33's with the 50cc. Whats also very frustrating is that the problem never duplicates itself identically. Some pulls are cleaner than others, with the same hardware.

If the annular carb is more sensitive to pressure, would it help any to route the pcv to a port lower on the intake manifold vs directly to the carb?

why don't you just remove the pcv and add a vented cap? you really don't want to suck that into the mixture
Posted By: BradH

Re: Carb - 09/03/10 04:33 PM

What is the venturi dimension for a QFT "950" annular? Even running my Claw w/ 1.56" venturi and annular boosters, it seemed like that style of booster simply pulls too much fuel too early in the RPM range to run cleanly on the street.

If I ever try it w/ annular boosters again, I'm going to stick in the 1.59" venturi sleeves and see if that helps. Otherwise, I'm going to stay w/ "tried and true" downleg booster combinations.

Re: Carb - 09/04/10 12:51 AM

not sure about the venturi size. I'll check into it though.

Re: Carb - 09/04/10 11:08 PM

If your 50cc stuff does not correct the problem I still recommend having the calibration of the meter circuit checked. You may have an air velocity problem with the heads that the annular booster cannot over come until the rpm picks up significantly increasing the port velocity. I would be more inclined to be using a down leg booster style carb anyway with more standard size pumps and squirters.

Re: Carb - 09/05/10 12:17 AM

My engine guy thinks I should try jetting down a few sizes. His theory is that if the engine ran its best with a big vacuum leak, it must have been extremely rich (since normally a big vacuum leak would create a lean condition, especially on hard acceleration). He also thinks my problem is occuring past the point of the pump/squirter consideration. And, he also thinks the pcv is not part of the problem.

Soo, with that I'm going to pull the carb, put the 30cc and pink cam back on, 33 squirters (stock settings), and pull out 3 jet sizes. If that doesnt help any, I'm going to give another carb a try.

Can I route the pcv to a vacuum port on the manifold or is it best to go right to the back of the carb? Or does it not matter either way?

Re: Carb - 09/05/10 06:16 AM

Sometimes a big vacuum leak will cause the power valve to stand open all the time. And this would make it very rich. I think a power valve leak rich condition can be the same as 10 jet sizes big. But it also depends on how much of a vacuum leak there is. I would stick a gauge on it and see what it is doing at idle. I don't think it will matter one way or the other on where you attach the pcv hose. The orifice is usually with the pcv valve. I still believe the metering calibration is off on that carb. If you try another carb try one with down leg boosters. Good luck with this, I know how frustrating it can be.
Posted By: joedust451

Re: Carb - 09/05/10 06:59 AM

Quote:

I still believe the metering calibration is off on that carb.

I agree.

Re: Carb - 09/05/10 02:07 PM

he added fuel pressure and it picked up. im still leaning towards it running out of fuel right before the shift point.

Re: Carb - 09/05/10 04:44 PM

Did he add the fuel pressure before or after the regulator?

Re: Carb - 09/05/10 05:33 PM

Quote:

Did he add the fuel pressure before or after the regulator?

have to guess it was after

Re: Carb - 09/05/10 10:18 PM

if he increased regulator pressure,it reduces flow.Why does Barry Grant say that you need a pump that can pump,lets say one gallon in 20 seconds,its not because the engine is going to use that much fuel.Its because a pump that can flow fuel at that rate has a higher output pressure before bypass.I'am guessing that Tony's pump is going away.

Re: Carb - 09/05/10 11:48 PM

I am running a clay smith mechanical pump and I really doubt the pump is going away. Cant say with 100% certainty especially since I still havn't figured this out yet, but the pressure is always rock steady wherever I lock it in at. I'm going to try jetting down first and see if there is any change. I will try different pressure settings too if need be. I will say this though, at my last test session when it ran its hardest with the pcv detached, I had the pressure up at 8.5. I kept the same pressure with the follow up pass (with the pcv attached) and it returned to the same breaking up symptoms.

Thats why I dont think its the pump or regulator...but im definitely not ruling it out entirely.

So tonight my test run will keep the 50cc pump, 33 squirter, jetting 3-4sizes down (forget what jets are in there now..I think 79 and 87). Going to keep the pressure at 8.5, and run the pcv hose to a port behind the intake.

If it shows signs of improvement or cleans it up all together, I may try going back to the 30cc and pink cam and also try dropping the fuel pressure to a more street friendly rate - 7-7.5.

Thanks everyone for your input. Its been very helpful.

Re: Carb - 09/06/10 12:26 AM

Tony,can you monitor fuel pressure on a run? Is your fuel pick-up at the rear of the tank?

Re: Carb - 09/06/10 01:17 AM

Quote:

Tony,can you monitor fuel pressure on a run? Is your fuel pick-up at the rear of the tank?

No, I dont have a a visible pressure gauge, only under the hood. The fuel pick up is a factory style 1/2" in a factory tank. And the fuel line from the tank to the pump is factory bent 1/2" steel. From the pump is -8 hose to regulator, and -6 hose from regulator to the carb.
Posted By: B1Fish540

Re: Carb - 09/06/10 04:26 AM

Quote:

I will say this though, at my last test session when it ran its hardest with the pcv detached, I had the pressure up at 8.5. I kept the same pressure with the follow up pass (with the pcv attached) and it returned to the same breaking up symptoms.

This is the part i dont get, Tony. If i understand it, it runs perfectly w/out the PCV hooked up? Plug that port and see how it runs, that will eliminate a bad PCV valve as the culprit. right? Or confirm it.

Re: Carb - 09/06/10 04:38 AM

I made a few "runs" around the 'hood tonight. First I tried jetting down 4 sizes front and back with fuel pressure at 8.5, and sputtered like heck. Came back jetted back to 79 and 87 bumped the pressure up to 9 and ran much better, but still with some sputtering. When I set the pressure above 8.5 it appears to be too much for the regulator cause the needle starts bouncing. As soon as I back it off to 8.5 or below it stays steady.

I even popped the pcv hose off just to see if I could duplicate my awesome pull from the other night, but no such luck this time. I must have just been lucky last time.

I'm going to pick up a fuel pressure gauge that I can see from inside the car and really see whats happening. At this point, I think thats the only way to really narrow down the problem.

BTW, The car still idles like a champ and street cruising is nice and crisp, so for now I see no reason to put the 30cc pump and pink cam back in. I'll let you know what happens after I verify the fuel pressure on a "pull".

Re: Carb - 09/10/10 09:58 PM

You ever get this fiquired out?

Re: Carb - 09/10/10 10:11 PM

I just plumbed a fuel pressure gauge in the other night (one that I can see while Im driving). Got too late to take it out for a "run" and havnt had a chance since. Gonna take it for a spin tomorrow...will let you know what i find. Thanks!
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Carb - 09/10/10 10:15 PM

What type of advance do you have on your Distributor?

Chris..

Re: Carb - 09/10/10 10:36 PM

Quote:

What type of advance do you have on your Distributor?

Chris..

Got it set at 16 degrees mech advance - 20 initial and 36 total. No vacuum advance
© 2024 Moparts Forums