Moparts

Moser or Strange or ?

Posted By: cptn60

Moser or Strange or ? - 07/30/10 07:03 PM

Gettin ready to get a Dana 60hd narrowed and new axles for it. Does anyone have a preference for axles, and the workmanship to narrow the housing? Moser and Strange are the two I initially thought of. Both equidistant from me, so....?
Posted By: Mac's Hemi 64

Re: Moser or Strange or ? - 07/30/10 07:09 PM

I purchase a complete 60 from Strange and was very happy with it.
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Moser or Strange or ? - 07/30/10 07:10 PM

Full race.........Strange or M.W.
multi use.........Moser.
But you are fishing for an opinion I hope , because there may not be a " correct " answer.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Moser or Strange or ? - 07/30/10 07:11 PM

Go 9", don't waste your money on that heavy pig!!
Posted By: 540challenger

Re: Moser or Strange or ? - 07/30/10 07:42 PM

Quote:

Now you have do it. This post we be 8-9 pages of
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Moser or Strange or ? - 07/30/10 07:46 PM

Quote:

I purchase a complete 60 from Strange and was very happy with it.

X2, it measured exatly what I specified. I had Moser axles in my 8 3/4 and had no issues though.

Re: Moser or Strange or ? - 07/30/10 07:51 PM

Quote:

Funny you would say that; the man I bought the Dana from tried to sell me a narrowed 9 hsg with some really nice Mark Williams axles. May need to go back and buy it now....
Posted By: MegaDart

Re: Moser or Strange or ? - 07/30/10 09:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Funny you would say that; the man I bought the Dana from tried to sell me a narrowed 9 hsg with some really nice Mark Williams axles. May need to go back and buy it now....

I sure would! That's the best you can get right there!
Posted By: GregCon

Re: Moser or Strange or ? - 07/30/10 09:45 PM

Yeah, I would get that Ford rear end and then shoot myself in the head.

Per Strange, a Dana 60 weighs about 15lbs more than a comparable 9". I'd much rather have the strength of a Dana and suffer an extra 15lbs right over the rear tires.

That said, Moser is nowhere near Strange in terms of righteousness. Strange is not perfect but they are a real aftermarket company, not a weenie company.
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Moser or Strange or ? - 07/30/10 10:13 PM

I went with Dutchman axles
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Moser or Strange or ? - 07/30/10 10:21 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I would get that Ford rear end and then shoot myself in the head.

Per Strange, a Dana 60 weighs about 15lbs more than a comparable 9". I'd much rather have the strength of a Dana and suffer an extra 15lbs right over the rear tires.

That said, Moser is nowhere near Strange in terms of righteousness. Strange is not perfect but they are a real aftermarket company, not a weenie company.

Now that right there is some solid advice

Whatever you do, don't go with a Ford 9" with Mark Williams parts (only 99% run them) but chivy rods are cool

IMHO the 9" sounds like the logical choice....what was the asking $$$ on both....?????

Rickster
Posted By: Deepockets

Re: Moser or Strange or ? - 07/30/10 10:27 PM

STRANGE all the way, i wasted my money with mosher once before and never again. i know they've done good with many people. when i ordered my axles from mosher i specified that i had a strange spool. the axles were the slopiest fittment in the splines. i ordered the strange and they fit perfect.
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Moser or Strange or ? - 07/30/10 10:45 PM

The Dana 60 is a little heavier than the 9"ford,but the placement of the pinion on the ring gear will free up a little more HP than the ford. Where the 9" ford pinion goes in at robs a little more HP than the Mopar rear end.Enought to make up for the added weight. The only reason my dragster has a 9" ford in it is I could not narrow the dana (has a much wider center)enought to use in my dragster.
Posted By: mopacltd

Re: Moser or Strange or ? - 07/30/10 10:50 PM

I have been happy with Moser for the last 16 years.

Re: Moser or Strange or ? - 07/31/10 12:31 AM

Quote:

The Dana 60 is a little heavier than the 9"ford,but the placement of the pinion on the ring gear will free up a little more HP than the ford. Where the 9" ford pinion goes in at robs a little more HP than the Mopar rear end.Enought to make up for the added weight. The only reason my dragster has a 9" ford in it is I could not narrow the dana (has a much wider center)enought to use in my dragster.

Having to lay under the car to change gear ratios in a dana is why thier NOT a popular race rear end.
Because of the aftermarket, the ford is the best choice if someone was buying new.

AND...15 lbs is alot when it comes to racing. Also would guess that with aluiminum center sections for the 9", there would be a even greater weight savings.

Posted By: cbarracuda

Re: Moser or Strange or ? - 07/31/10 01:15 AM

Quote:

Having to lay under the car to change gear ratios in a dana is why thier NOT a popular race rear end.
Because of the aftermarket, the ford is the best choice if someone was buying new.

AND...15 lbs is alot when it comes to racing. Also would quess that with aluiminum center sections for the 9", there would be a even greater weight savings.

Adding weight over your rear wheels in a Drag Car makes you go faster until you get a balance of 50-50
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Moser or Strange or ? - 07/31/10 02:07 AM

Strange is what I use, I like my money a lot so I buy the best I can get so I don't have to spend it twice BTW, Mark williams Ti axles are nice and light, if you need them BTW, the Dana HD housing is heaveir than the regular 3/4 tona and passenger car housings
Posted By: mr2performance

Re: Moser or Strange or ? - 07/31/10 02:12 AM

Either are good choices, let me know if you need pricing. Mike
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Moser or Strange or ? - 07/31/10 06:30 AM

get a 9'' easier to work on and stronger,,,alston chassis makes by far the nicest housing,,,blows mosers away and strange,,inner tubes welded the whole 9 yds!400 and change for the housing

Re: Moser or Strange or ? - 07/31/10 04:09 PM

Well thanks folks for the opinions. I went back and bought the 9" paid $400 w/axles no center. The Dana was $125 complete. These MW axles are so pretty I may just buy a set from them after I narrow the housing locally. Found a shop w/ a jig and will tig weld it for 150.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Moser or Strange or ? - 07/31/10 04:30 PM

Quote:

Well thanks folks for the opinions. I went back and bought the 9" paid $400 w/axles no center. The Dana was $125 complete. These MW axles are so pretty I may just buy a set from them after I narrow the housing locally. Found a shop w/ a jig and will tig weld it for 150.

make sure you buy MW internals(spool or posi), those axels are different from others. smart move
Posted By: Hemiroid

Re: Moser or Strange or ? - 07/31/10 05:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

make sure you buy MW internals(spool or posi), those axels are different from others. smart move

So you're saying that you bought a OE housing for $400 that needs to be narrowed and will require you to buy axles? Not sure that's such a great deal. You could have bought a Strange 9" new, at the desired length for less. Click the link, then click on "55" and it will show a list of housings and options. For close to what you'll have in that, you could have a new 9", w/ tubes, ends, back braced w/ fill and drain.

http://www.strangeengineering.net/catalog/index.html

Re: Moser or Strange or ? *DELETED* - 07/31/10 05:19 PM

Re: Moser or Strange or ? - 07/31/10 05:21 PM

Quote:

So you're saying that you bought a OE housing for $400 that needs to be narrowed and will require you to buy axles? Not sure that's such a great deal. You could have bought a Strange 9" new, at the desired length for less. Click the link, then click on "55" and it will show a list of housings and options. For close to what you'll have in that, you could have a new 9", w/ tubes, ends, back braced w/ fill and drain.

Read the thread, the 9 "housing is already narrowed.

Good move cptn60

Re: Moser or Strange or ? - 07/31/10 05:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Good move cptn60

I read it, but this " These MW axles are so pretty I may just buy a set from them after I narrow the housing locally. Found a shop w/ a jig and will tig weld it for 150. " made me think he still needs to narrow it and buy axles. If he can use it as is and can use the axles then it was a smart move and a great deal.
Posted By: ProStDodge

Re: Moser or Strange or ? - 07/31/10 05:48 PM

I would go with Moser parts any time. They are not some "weenie" aftermarket company. The owners are true racers with multiple cars showing up at Div 3 NHRA races and being VERY competitive. They have very good customer relations and fast turn-around times. I had a car with stock axles at a Thursday Test-n-tune at Indy, and snapped the splines. Called Moser Fri afternoon with specs. Picked up the axles Sat at 8am, had the car racing Saturday night.

I installed a complete Moser 60 in my 71 Charger R/T - 3800# car running 10.00's in NOS. No problems. I installed the Moser rear after twisting the flange off one of the MW axles that came in the used rear end. When I called them with the axle serial number their comment was "well those are old axles and you sure got your use from them. We can have you a new one in 5 days for $375" (1 axle). I also found out Mark Williams splines do not interchange well with other spools or posi's - so I replaced the whole darn thing. After the comments and attitude I got from them I would never purchase anything from them. Doesn't mean they don't have solid parts, but I spend my money with people that treat me like a customer and not an inconvenience.

My new project has a 9" rear with Moser 35-spline gun drilled axles. I will have to get a total weight when I put it together. I am hoping with the fab housing, drilled axles, aluminum center section, and lightweight brakes the whole assembly will reduce the unsprung weight of the car.

Attached picture 6114749-rearend.JPG

Re: Moser or Strange or ? - 07/31/10 06:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Re: Moser or Strange or ? - 07/31/10 06:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Good move cptn60

I read it, but this " These MW axles are so pretty I may just buy a set from them after I narrow the housing locally. Found a shop w/ a jig and will tig weld it for 150. " made me think he still needs to narrow it and buy axles. If he can use it as is and can use the axles then it was a smart move and a great deal.

No the Dana still needs narrowed. The 9 is 37" flange to flange. No spring or 4link mounts on either housing though. Sorry, should have specified what was what.

Re: Moser or Strange or ? - 07/31/10 06:59 PM

Quote:

No the Dana still needs narrowed. The 9 is 37" flange to flange. No spring or 4link mounts on either housing though. Sorry, should have specified what was what.

Ahh, ok, then you did real good!
Posted By: ProStDodge

Re: Moser or Strange or ? - 07/31/10 07:12 PM

Quote:

I agree - you got a deal!

Is that measurement to the housing flanges or axle flanges? Was the housing cut for a "centered" pinion or with an offset to match the Mopar offset engine position?

If thats the housing width, then with a 2.5" brake offset, and 1/4" brake hats, the overall width with be 5.5" wider than the housing.

Scott
Posted By: gsmopar

Re: Moser or Strange or ? - 08/01/10 05:11 AM

Dr. Diff on the board.

© 2024 Moparts Forums