Moparts

Another ARP torque question

Posted By: Moparnut426

Another ARP torque question - 07/15/10 11:56 PM

Well I bought , and recieved my ARP rocker studs, and they dont come with any specs. 3/8 studs, 3" long, and fine thread nuts. I was going to run them to 30ft lbs with arp lube. Also the brodix heads oil through the same rocker pedistal hole, the bolts I got from B1DARTSPORT are machined in the shank for oil flow to the rocker shafts. I was curious if I could index the stud, and just flatten the side of the stud that shrouds the oil hole, or If I accually have to neck the stud down all the way around the stud. Any ideas? Also there is SOOO much room that it really looks like I dont even have to machine the bolt, but the origional bolts are machined, so Im gonna do the same.

Kasey
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Another ARP torque question - 07/16/10 12:05 AM

Why not check the flow before you cut anything...
stud in the hole then use a priming tool
Posted By: b1dartsport

Re: Another ARP torque question - 07/16/10 12:35 AM

Quote:

Why not check the flow before you cut anything...
stud in the hole then use a priming tool

Re: Another ARP torque question - 07/16/10 01:19 AM

That is what I was accually going to do. But I thought they were like that for a reason, so I just figured Id coppy.

Do you guys think the 30 ft lbs is good??

Oh and Randy, my header tube is in rout, and I plan on dropping the new bullit inn this next week. SUPER excited!!

Im sure Im gonna have to jet up, but I dont know how much.

Kasey
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Another ARP torque question - 07/16/10 01:27 AM

3/8 grade 8 fasteners need a hair more than 30 ft/lbs IMO.
I would torque them to 38-40 ft/lbs. A lbs or two either way should hurt it. But to work properly they need the pre load and stretch some..
That fastener should be very similar to a rod bolt. Both are 3/8 and fine thread also, not that makes a huge diff.
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: Another ARP torque question - 07/16/10 01:33 AM

do you have a picture and part number for these studs

Re: Another ARP torque question - 07/16/10 01:39 AM

Quote:

I would torque them to 38-40 ft/lbs. A lbs or two either way should hurt it. But to work properly they need the pre load and stretch some..
That fastener should be very similar to a rod bolt. Both are 3/8 and fine thread also, not that makes a huge diff.

These are going through aluminum hold downs, and a harland sharp rocker shaft. I dont want to crush or distort anything, and cause an out of round surface for the rockers.

Kasey

Re: Another ARP torque question - 07/16/10 01:40 AM

Quote:

That is what I was accually going to do. But I thought they were like that for a reason, so I just figured Id coppy.

Oh and Randy, my header tube is in rout, and I plan on dropping the new bullit inn this next week. SUPER excited!!

Kasey

I torque 3 things on a engine, mains, rods and the heads
the rest gets the normal twist of the wrist to what
size bolt it is.... look up a torque chart for assorted
size bolts... take a couple pieces of material
and get use to different torques using a ratchet
then check them with a torque wrench... you will
be surprised at what you can pull... on the rocker
shaft hold downs I would give them 35

Re: Another ARP torque question - 07/16/10 01:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Kasey

I torque 3 things on a engine, mains, rods and the heads
the rest gets the normal twist of the wrist to what
size bolt it is.... look up a torque chart for assorted
size bolts... take a couple pieces of material
and get use to different torques using a ratchet
then check them with a torque wrench... you will
be surprised at what you can pull... on the rocker
shaft hold downs I would give them 35

I hear ya Mr P, But I have a Huge investment here that I cant duplicat easily. Ive been working on the side, and saving for 5+ years to get this far. I do the same thing on regular vehicles, and dont torque unless its a high stress area. I think 35 is a good number also.

Kasey

Re: Another ARP torque question - 07/16/10 01:52 AM

These are going through aluminum hold downs, and a harland sharp rocker shaft. I dont want to crush or distort anything, and cause an out of round surface for the rockers.

Kasey

You were going to go to 30 with ARP lube and that
would have been over... more like 18 but I would go
oil to 35... look at a ARP chart and look at the differences
from lube to oil... since I tend to have oil around
I tend to use it and go by that torque.... JMO

Re: Another ARP torque question - 07/16/10 01:58 AM

Im gonna check the ARP chart on line in the AM.

Honestly didnt know they had a chart. I check it out.

Thanks

Kasey

Re: Another ARP torque question - 07/16/10 02:35 AM

I can get ya the part number tomarrow, and snap a shot. Ill post them tomarrow nite.

Kasey

Re: Another ARP torque question - 07/16/10 03:01 AM

thanks
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Another ARP torque question - 07/16/10 04:47 AM

The ARP torque chart is on the box.
Posted By: mac56

Re: Another ARP torque question - 07/16/10 11:45 AM

I hear ya Mr P, But I have a Huge investment here that I cant duplicat easily. Ive been working on the side, and saving for 5+ years to get this far. I do the same thing on regular vehicles, and dont torque unless its a high stress area. I think 35 is a good number also.

Kasey

I don't know if you posted it before but what is the new combo? By the way I got that stud set on the engine. You saved me some bucks.
Mark

Re: Another ARP torque question - 07/16/10 12:08 PM

Quote:

The ARP torque chart is on the box.

Not on a custom ordered stud set.

Kasey

Re: Another ARP torque question - 07/16/10 12:13 PM

Quote:

Kasey

I don't know if you posted it before but what is the new combo? By the way I got that stud set on the engine. You saved me some bucks.
Mark

72 .030 360 block, Ki 4" crank, Childs track master rods, Diamond pistons, Brodix B1Ba heads, Solid Roller cam, Manton pushrods, Harland sharp rockers, Older eddy performer rpm intake. Its studded, and has a main girdle, Precision oil pump, and topped off with a Quick fuel carb thats a base 750, but I was told flows 850ish. Bought the carb 2nd hand, and it worked GREAT on the old 360.
Posted By: Performance Only

Re: Another ARP torque question - 07/16/10 12:41 PM

i'm not a huge fan of those aluminum hold downs. they make it easy to distort the shafts since they clamp only a small area of the shaft.
when using studs on rocker shafts i use blue loctite to secure the stud to the head and green wick-n-lock on the nut. do not overtighten. call Harland Sharp and ask them about it.
the paper work that comes with the rockers should have the recommended torque.
you don't want to torque those down the same as you would for the same fastener in a different application. i would suggest no more than 30 ft. lbs. with 30 wt. oil. it would take 40-45 to stretch the stud and that will distort even a heavy wall shaft like you have. that's the reason i use the loc-tite.
Posted By: Mike Swann

Re: Another ARPA torque question - 07/16/10 01:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I would torque them to 38-40 ft/lbs. A lbs or two either way should hurt it. But to work properly they need the Prue load and stretch some..
That fastener should be very similar to a rod bolt. Both are 3/8 and fine thread also, not that makes a huge diff. :two cents:

These are going through aluminum hold downs, and a Harland sharp rocker shaft. I don't want to crush or distort anything, and cause an out of round surface for the rockers.

Kasey

Finally, A mention of distorting or crushing the shaft.

For whats its worth, I have always ran 25 ft-lbs. on shaft studs. 8000 rpm. They lift a little bit, have even bent the shaft between the studs, but never killed a rocker bearing or come loose.
the Harland sharp rockers are particularly sensitive to distortion.

Re: Another ARP torque question - 07/16/10 01:08 PM

Thanks Dan,

I was gonna call ya on this and ya saved me buggin ya.

Kasey

Re: Another ARP torque question - 07/16/10 02:07 PM

The ARP number is AJ3.150, they are 3/8x3.15 long.

Ill post pictures at noon.

Kasey
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Another ARP torque question - 07/16/10 02:16 PM

Had a discussion about this with the guy from Comp-u-flow at Carlisle. He says one of the biggest mistakes is overtorquing those bolts. 30 lbs is all they need regardless of the setup. No matter what you're using its still going into the same ALUMINUM hole !!! Also, your turned down bolts were likely for really thick-walled shafts. Harland Sharps don't need turned down bolts or studs. Studs go in finger tight, the nuts get torqued.

Re: Another ARP torque question - 07/16/10 03:25 PM

Quote:

The ARP number is AJ3.150, they are 3/8x3.15 long.

Ill post pictures at noon.

Kasey

so I take it these are single studs that you order a set of 10

Re: Another ARP torque question - 07/16/10 03:47 PM

Yep they will have to sell ya 10 12pt nuts, and 10 hard washers.

Kasey

Re: Another ARP torque question - 07/16/10 04:02 PM

I have the washers and nuts already

Re: Another ARP torque question - 07/16/10 04:09 PM

Thats cool.

Heres a picture of the studs. Not too great, its on my phone.

Kasey

Attached picture 6089081-0716000826.jpg

Re: Another ARP torque question - 07/16/10 05:39 PM

Quote:

The trick is to call ARP and tell them you want a rocker stud kit for a BB Mopar and they'll put together exactly what you need for about $60.. They know what you need but haven't made it into an actual "kit" as yet. Note: the studs are not all the same length - hence telling them what you're doing!

Re: Another ARP torque question - 07/16/10 06:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The trick is to call ARP and tell them you want a rocker stud kit for a BB Mopar and they'll put together exactly what you need for about $60.. They know what you need but haven't made it into an actual "kit" as yet. Note: the studs are not all the same length - hence telling them what you're doing!

but i am using these on a SB and all the studs are the same lenght

Re: Another ARP torque question - 07/16/10 09:23 PM

Quote:

but i am using these on a SB and all the studs are the same lenght

Sorry, missed that part!
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Another ARP torque question - 07/17/10 12:17 PM

Quote:

... do not overtighten. call Harland Sharp and ask them about it.
the paper work that comes with the rockers should have the recommended torque.
you don't want to torque those down the same as you would for the same fastener in a different application. i would suggest no more than 30 ft. lbs. with 30 wt. oil. it would take 40-45 to stretch the stud and that will distort even a heavy wall shaft like you have. that's the reason i use the loc-tite.

© 2024 Moparts Forums