Moparts

What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories

Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/21/10 09:04 AM

I was thinking about how many tracks I've been to in my 36 years of Drag Racing..

This got me thinking about my favorite of all favorites..

I'm not talking about tracks that aren't here anymore, because my answer would be different.. I started racing when I was 16, because Gary Densham was my Auto Shop teacher.. Back then we raced at OCIR in So. Cal.. Great times..

Anyway, I would have to give my nod to Bandimere Speedway in Denver/Morrison Co. I think it's the nicest track I've ever been to.. It's really too bad it's 7000-10,000' DA most of the time..

I would give honorable mention to The Strip in Vegas..

But the best time I've ever had at one single race track was in Douglas Wyoming.. The Division Races there were something to behold.. The whole town ran the track, gave out coffee and donuts in the am. And Watermelon in the afternoon.. The Mayor was giving out time slips.. Anyone who ever raced that race knows what I'm talking about.. Too bad that one is gone..

So let's hear your stories..

Chris..
Posted By: RonTheAnnouncer

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/21/10 12:40 PM

My favorite is Norwalk. I grew up at that track, and when Bill Bader Sr. opened the gates for the first time as the owner, My dad and his friend Al Yates were the first two cars in line, and I was in the passenger seat of my Dad's '65 Dart. I'm not a well travelled racer, however. I've raced at Thompson, Dragway 42, and Quaker City, and have visited National Trail, Marion, and Pittsburgh. I hope to get out more in the next couple of years and try some new places out.
Dragway 42 is probably my second favorite. It's a bit rough, but I've always done well there.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/21/10 12:43 PM

Norwalk , clean, great traction... and of course the
$1 ice cream... I've always had a great time there...
I also like Grand Bend in Canada... they put on a
nice show but I havent been there in a few years(with
the car), it got hard going across the border a few
years back after 9/11 but that changed... they use
to have bands at alot of the races for the evening
entertainment
Posted By: kissmyaspen

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/21/10 12:56 PM

I would have to say being on the startin line in Poma in 08' seeing all the champions crowned and thinking of how many greats have been down that track. But from a racer I would have to say Norwalk. Its just a great place with great people.
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/21/10 02:30 PM

I'ld have to say Norwalk as well. Every aspect of the facilty is simply awesome and the cerw that runs it are great.

My second would have to be Thunder Valley in Bristol. Although I've never been down the track my self cuz we only get to there with the Jrs it's a great place as well.
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 06/21/10 02:43 PM

Posted By: afxcoronet

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/21/10 02:57 PM

I'd have to say it's a toss up between Wisconsin International Raceway and Byron...the times we had at both places as a family when I was young were unforgetable...Hope someday to make it back to both tracks...
Curtis
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/21/10 03:19 PM

Bakersfield cos I got my first 9-second slip there but, I must say that l.a.c.r. was where I learned a ton of stuff and spent many nights racing w/friends and having Mr. Cab help me w/my tuning/driving skills. Irwindale where my sig photo was taken has legendary hook........ALL tracks rock since they are fading fast and we get to do this great stuff we do w/friends and family........
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/21/10 03:53 PM

Sacramento. I am SOOOOO JOKING!!!

Top Gun Raceway in Fallon, NV was the bomb when I ran the 'Cuda there about 10 years ago. Hope it hasn't changed. Here's why:

1) Track staff acted like they were glad to see me.
2) Paved, organized pit parking.
3) Local racers coming by to say hello knowing I wasn't "a local".
4) Staging lanes that were DOWN HILL!!

And the biggie: 2 track staffers brought my (semi-final) check to my trailer as I was loading up!!!!
Posted By: topside

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/21/10 03:58 PM

I don't know if anything will ever compare with Lions, but if I can pick 2 faves, I'd say the old Sears Point and ATCO. Sears Point was like home to me for several years, but ATCO was a cool place when I lived out there.
I've heard Boise is a really great experience, but I haven't been there.
Posted By: MegaDart

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/21/10 04:02 PM

Englishtown probably the nicest facility I've raced at.

ATCO for sure was the fastest.

Palm Beach Int. Raceway my sentimental favorite as I have one semi and two final rounds appearances there in div2 races and one National.

Some good memories from Lebanon Valley as I got my first win there.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/21/10 04:56 PM

Byron Dragway, Illinois. Started racing there when it first opened in 64 ( then Rockford Dragway ).

Attached picture 6047582-64DodgeByron.jpg
Posted By: StripeHOG

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/21/10 06:04 PM

Mine would have to be Bunker Hill since I've been going there about my whole life!!!! probably close to 25 years now and I collected my first win, final, perfect light, dead on w/ a 0, 2 final's in 2 days, ect.. LOL THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME
Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/21/10 06:25 PM

#1 Norwalk
#2 Martin (US-131)

I went to Bunker Hill for the first time this past
Saturday for the Wheelstand Competition. It
felt "homy" there. Oldest track in IN. (1956)

I took pictures of 2 purple Darts there.

Attached picture 6047722-BunkerHillJune19,2010022.jpg
Posted By: moparmxz

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/21/10 07:20 PM

Quote:

#1 Norwalk
#2 Martin (US-131)

I went to Bunker Hill for the first time this past
Saturday for the Wheelstand Competition. It
felt "homy" there. Oldest track in IN. (1956)
I took pictures of 2 purple Darts there.

Thats me in that picture,my son (stripehog on here) has the silver 69 dart in pro class. Glad you enjoyed your visit to the Hill. Almost forgot my favorite track is Bunker Hill and its only a 18 mile drive.

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/21/10 08:00 PM

I saw him too before we got there.........filling up at the gas station.

Sorry for the hi-jack.

Attached picture 6047838-BunkerHillJune19,2010008.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/21/10 08:07 PM

Heartland Park Topeka as far as having a nice facility.

Mo-Kan Dragway in Asbury, Mo. for that throwback, '70's feel! Heck, they're having the HAMB drags there so it must be retro.
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/21/10 08:51 PM

Home track Pacemakers...Nice to be somewhere where everyone know your name...Be there since I was born 1957... But I like alot of the other tracks. Trails..I know alot of people there..and norwalk is cool.. I realy only know of one track I would never go back to..and I been to 30-40 of them..most tracks are good people and make you feel welcome.
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/21/10 09:00 PM

Quote:

Home track Pacemakers...Nice to be somewhere where everyone know your name...

And they still let you in

Posted By: Chassisman

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/21/10 09:08 PM

Famoso Bakersfield,Ca
LEGENDARY....Garlits first trip out to the WEST...got his azz handed to him...LOL
They ran NITRO there during the "ban"
Eveyone who's anyone has been down that track...it used to host the Winter Warm Up right before Pomona to kick off the season.
The place oozes with history and tragedy...the GROVE honors those whom have passed on....
Cons....the smell....the nitro flies....

The Strip Las Vegas.... COME ON..IT'S VEGAS!!!!

Sears Point/Infineon....where else can you burn rubber all day....drive 20-30 minutes and eat dinner over looking the Golden Gate bridge and Alcatraz.

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/21/10 09:24 PM

There are several votes for Norwalk.. It looks like a very nice facility..

But I have never been there.. I would like to go before I'm not able to any more..

Surprised that there aren't more for Vegas.. It's probably the only track that you don't have to convince the Wife that you really need to go to..

Chris..
Posted By: The Shocker

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/21/10 11:44 PM

I have been to many ,but its a tossup between Ardmore Dragway in (you guessed it Ardmore Oklahoma),and Temple academy near Temple Texas.Ardmore was the first track i ever raced at when i was 16 years old in 1990 with my late father .Its a drive from me now but i still race ther a few times a year at Nostalgia events.Its also the oldest continuos operating dragstrip in the US im told.Temple is a 1/4 mile track and its a little ruff around the edges ,but its a real old one as well and actually used to be the old highway through there and turned into a drag starip in the late 50's.the Nostalgia vibe there is amazing and i always run my best ET's there ,because i race there in the Fall wen its cool and the elevation is way better than around here ,plus the setting is cool.Click on the link in my signature if you want to see what Temple looks like ...
Posted By: plasticfantastic

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/22/10 01:26 AM

Norwalk... when you go there even for a regular test and tune night, you feel like youre at something special, at an "event"...

Dollar ice cream, playground for the kids, score boards on the back of the score boards for those pitted top end, music always playing in the background, (even if its polka)... there are so many small things about that place.
Posted By: Cudajon

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/22/10 01:42 AM

The old "Double Eagle" track in San Antonio. Great atmosphere for the kids in the 1950's 60's. Green Valley in Dallas Texas. Used to have a National race every year. Came back from Germany to be there July 4th, 1976. El Paso Dragstrip. Real outlaw strip, but the people treated you good.
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/22/10 01:56 AM

The Swamp - Youngstown Drag City - it was a hole but paid good and the people there were like family - still talk with friends made there to this day. Norwalk back in the 80's was also good even better today. and Quaker when Mosey ran it was great. heck we used to run up to Norwalk on Wensday or Thursday then drag City on Friday and Saturday - Get up and go to Sunset on Sunday - if we went out first we headed to Quaker to race without a time trial - That was the Akron Midwest Performance Marathon with Mike Ziadeh (RIP).
Posted By: BobR

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/22/10 02:35 AM

The finest track I've ever raced on was Route 66 dragway in Joliet Illinois.
Posted By: RockChip

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/22/10 03:42 AM

Cedar falls Raceway in Iowa !!!!!!

I love that track, grate racing and a college town to boot, plenty of hot young tail for the taking after racin !!!!!!

Attached picture 6048655-Freshend440-2.jpg
Posted By: wyoming

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/22/10 03:58 AM

The best track I ever raced at would have to be Firebird in Boise Id, not nearly as nice as some of the tracks mentioned, and I've raced or been to events at most of those, Vegas, Dallas, Bandemire, Houston, even RMR at Salt Lake are all much nicer as far as the facility. But when you talk about a freindly, fun, do anything staff, the New family that own and run Boise are tops. They steadily make improvements, mostly all of those are for the racers, they did put up a new control tower this year, their old one was built in the 60's and ould hold two people comfortably. I was shooting the breeze with Larry Gilley at MATS this year and I mentioned racing at Boise this summer, he told me his story about Boise. Larry said he'd raced at Sacramento for like20 years, and all the other tracks in Calf, but he was laughing that in Sacramento, when he pulled up to pay in, he was allmost allways asked, What class you run? Said he raced Boise the first time and loved it, came back the second year for the Nightfire, pulled up to pay in, one of the News was there, and he said, Hey Larry, it sure is nice to have you back, we know it's a real long drive for you, you running Pro again? Let us know if you need anything and Good luck, i've had the same expeience as larry there, and know lots of others that have also, pretty hard place to beat.

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/22/10 04:02 AM

By the way, Douglas Wyoming is still in operation, and doing pretty darn good, they are trying to get a Div race back there, track is being run by the racers, still owned by the city or county one, not positive which, still a friendly place with the track rigfht in town.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/22/10 04:14 AM

Firebird Raceway, Boise Idaho

I'll have to agree with Glenn (wyoming) and Larry Gilley. Its a nice feeling when the track owner shakes your hand and says thanks for coming as you're pulling up to the gates. After driving 10 hrs to get to the track, it makes it all worthwhile. Makes you feel respected and wanted. Most tracks all they want is your money, Its nice going somewhere that the owners care. I wish the place was closer.

Attached picture 6048701-10-12-09106.jpg

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/22/10 04:27 AM

Quote:

By the way, Douglas Wyoming is still in operation, and doing pretty darn good, they are trying to get a Div race back there, track is being run by the racers, still owned by the city or county one, not positive which, still a friendly place with the track right in town.

If I remember correctly, It was run by the Chamber of Commerce. John Kunkel was the Track Mgr. back then.. If they got a Division Race Back I would go. Then just like before, It was a drag race to get in line for the National @ Bandimere..

The Jackalope Nationals.. Douglas Wyoming.. I still have a couple of T-Shirts..

Loved that you could go across the street to the grocery store or whatever you needed.. Never saw a track right down the main drag before.

Also, they would stop racing to chase off Antelope..

Chris...
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/22/10 04:32 AM

LVMS.....Infineon is nice but they have a few to many restrictions and the track is WAY UNDER utilized for drag racing. Lots of stories from Vegas but mostly I like the place becuase of the MATS where I can hang out with my friends once a year. Only downfall of the track is the DA..

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/22/10 04:52 AM

Kunkel hasn't been the operator for a few years now, he got in a disagreement with the "owners" and lost the lease, but the racers took over operation, and it's still going pretty well. Kunkel was a real good guy though, and he still comes around the track, or did in 2008 anyway.
Posted By: Kevins493

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/22/10 06:07 AM

Beaver Springs-
Only been there once (In May, when I broke the car), but it was one of those places where you regret waiting so long to go to. Very friendly atmosphere; the owner of the track was the first to greet us when we went in and told us everything we needed to know about the track, and later made sure to ask us if we were enjoying racing at his track..also, it's the PERFECT track to race a NSS car at, and the Beaver Bob is really into the nostalgia racing.

Then, probably 75-80 because it's close and HOOKS, an Capitol and Mason Dixon because I have a lot of good memories at those tracks. MIR is really well run, so I like it there, too. Hell, if it's a race track, and I'm there on a saturday instead of (God forbid) working, it's my favorite place to be.
Posted By: Super Scamp

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/22/10 11:35 AM

1. Norwalk. Ohio
2. Thunder Valley Bristol Tenn. (Best Showers)30 of them on both sides Men/Women. The pits are the best see Pic.
3. My track I grew up at every weekend was Detroit Dragway. It's where Dad took me and the rest is history..

Attached picture 6048987-2010TT012.jpg
Posted By: Super Scamp

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/22/10 11:37 AM

Quote:

1. Norwalk. Ohio
2. Thunder Valley Bristol Tenn. (Best Showers)30 of them on both sides Men/Women. The pits are the best see Pic.
3. My track I grew up at every weekend was Detroit Dragway. It's where Dad took me and the rest is history..

Another pic of Thunder Valley

Attached picture 6048989-2010TT013.jpg
Posted By: FlyFish

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/22/10 12:10 PM

My favorite is the track where I grew up, Bandimere speedway in Colorado. I haven’t been there in 3 years since I moved out to Indy.

The good:
1. Staging lanes are down hill…you can coast down to the tower.
2. Shutdown area is up hill.

The Bad:
1. No REAL bathrooms (just port-o-potties).
2. No air! (DA of 9000+ on most summer days).

The pic in my sig is from Bandimere from back when my car was bottle feed. Now at lower altitude (and with a stroker SB instead of my 360) my car is faster than it was in Colorado with a 180 shot of N20…it’s nice to have AIR to make power.

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/22/10 02:29 PM

Quote:

My favorite is the track where I grew up, Bandimere speedway in Colorado. I haven’t been there in 3 years since I moved out to Indy.

The good:

The Bad:

The pic in my sig is from Bandimere from back when my car was bottle feed. Now at lower altitude (and with a stroker SB instead of my 360) my car is faster than it was in Colorado with a 180 shot of N20…it’s nice to have AIR to make power.

do you have any plans to come up to Bunker Hill???? it's about an hour north of Indy, laid back atmosphere, and their's 6 Mopart's member's that are their every week, and 10-15 mopar's representing every week normally 3 or 4 of us go into the deep round's!!!! you should join us sometime the water's nice and warm (I just pee'd)
Posted By: nhramark

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/22/10 03:02 PM

1. Memphis / Bowling Green - tie. I've been to both tracks many times and always have a great time. Memphis always made the most of the least, excellent starting line, long shut down area, hardcore racing people.

Bowling Green is like going back in time. Well maintained by people who really care about the track.

2. Rt. 66 Chicago: If you even think you need wheelie bars.....you better have them on your car and not in the trailer. (Don't ask me how I know ) Beautiful facility.
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/22/10 04:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

1. Norwalk. Ohio

WOW!!! I haven't been there since 1980! I loved it then. Amazing the changes made. I love the way the sound of the cars echoes from the hills.

Attached picture 6049350-CopyofReadytoRace5.jpg
Posted By: FlyFish

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/22/10 06:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The good:

The Bad:

do you have any plans to come up to Bunker Hill???? it's about an hour north of Indy, laid back atmosphere, and their's 6 Mopart's member's that are their every week, and 10-15 mopar's representing every week normally 3 or 4 of us go into the deep round's!!!! you should join us sometime the water's nice and warm (I just pee'd)

That’s on my list of tracks to make it out to this year. I live ~ 15 min from ORP (where I race most of the time). I’ve been to Muncie a few times and Edgewater…That’s one thing I Love about being in Indy, lots of tracks to chose from within ~ 2 hour drive.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/22/10 06:40 PM

I give the number one spot to Norwalk, Ohio.
Great facility: showers, $1 ice cream, choices of food, auto parts store, tire store (Harlow), operator gets the races run, no curfew, great track surface, lots of pit space, etc.

I give mention of some others that are above the rest:

Bristol, Tennessee - nice pits, facilities, treated great
Beaver Springs, PA - treat you like family

Too bad none of them are close to me!

I have raced at many tracks with good racing surface, good DA (track elevation), and had fun. But they all have some draw backs on how they treat racers or terrible facilities (pits, etc.) So the three I mentioned above stand above the rest for me.

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/23/10 02:44 PM

Quote:

I saw him too before we got there.........filling up at the gas station.

Sorry for the hi-jack.

I assume you weren't racing???? here's some video from that day! http://www.youtube.com/user/TheStripeHOG

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/23/10 03:07 PM

Me and another guy came down to watch the Wheel Stand Competition.
I think I saw you filling up at a gas station on 31, south of Bunker Hill?
Was that your car I posted? Looks like 67 in my picture.

I saw a few people I knew and several Moparts members I had never met.

My car is nearing completion. I may venture down that way later this year.

Attached picture 6050869-68BarracudaTinWork026.jpg
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/23/10 03:47 PM

I should add US 131 to my list... nice place BUT it
can be limited on traction ... specially on a TNT
but super smooth track surface.... I just dont get
there as often as I would like

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/23/10 04:52 PM

Quote:

Me and another guy came down to watch the Wheel Stand Competition.
I think I saw you filling up at a gas station on 31, south of Bunker Hill?
Was that your car I posted? Looks like 67 in my picture.

I saw a few people I knew and several Moparts members I had never met.

My car is nearing completion. I may venture down that way later this year.

yeah, you probably saw me at McClure's on 18 & 31 I stop there every weekend to get some smoke's and 5 gal. of 93 octane the purple car is a 67 GSS and my car is a 69 GTS
Posted By: dragram440

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/23/10 05:23 PM

Brainerd International Raceway, Brainerd mn, It is the only 1/4 mile track in mn and it is a good 2 hours from my house. Not much else for options. Very nice facility and track.
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/23/10 06:13 PM

Best local for me would be IRR, not the prettiest, but close and Ralph puts on a great show....

Cleanest Facility: SGMP and always hooks (for me anyway)

Friendliest: Mobile Draway, Piedmont and Rockingham

Rickster
Posted By: MrMopar95

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/23/10 06:20 PM

been to about 8 or 10 tracks in my life....
HAND DOWN ITS NORWALK BABY! you cant get treated better any were, local tracks may be diff. but no matter who you are or what the issue is, norwalk is on it...
2003 ihra world nationals my dad won ET class and the box no box run off... that weekend we were moved from out pit spot to a better spot by the track because we had a next of bees in the ground underneath us...at the national event its hard to get treated right...well we felt like a PRO team the way the treated us... i always always always have a good time at norwalk...
#2 favorite track: Grand Bend Motorplex in ontario,canada! reason why....damn near fastest conditions available!

but there is 1 track i love to go too, but not happy with the ppl... NATIONAL TRAIL! haha every time i go there, i get problems from officials...diong my burnout b4 they tell me! (when other guy has left starting line, and stater is not in my lane cleaning up anything, we were just wasting time sittin there)...

turning off the track on the 1st turn off, and pullin out in front of the other car, who drove to the END and didnt even turn off the track yet, literally 300 yards away...and the ticket booth lady Mother F'ed me for like a minute while i was gettin my time slip! cause i should have stopped and waited 35 seconds for the car to get off the track, turn on the return road, drive 300 yards and PASS ME UP finally... that is some BULL CRAP! and totally uncalled for. maybe a combo of those ppl having bad days or somthing, but i have never been happy with there officials...next time she yells at me for nothing, she just gets the 1 finger solute!
Posted By: B1KILLER

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/23/10 06:33 PM

Quote:

hands down ATCO anyplace that you can find D.A of minus 800' or even -1500' to drop your ET and boost your ego combined with outstanding traction get's my vote.

X2, n I have gotton away with murder @ rentals
running car in true street trim.

Attached picture 6051154-signature.jpg
Posted By: StrokedDart

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/23/10 08:46 PM

Great Lakes Dragaway in Union Grove, Wi. That's where I cut my eye teeth.
Posted By: sc4579

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/23/10 10:14 PM

Been to a lot of tracks over the years and have several that are favorites.

1. Texas MotorPlex, simply because I have won every final
I have been to there (11)in differet classes and won my
first Wally at the Bracket Finals there.
2. Bristol, TN simply because the facility is top notch,
and ran very well, nice bathrooms with showers,
excellent track prep, and I have gotten money everytime
I have been there, also Wally number 2 in Super Pro.
3. Texas Raceway, nice bunch of racers, good racing
programs over the years and some of the toughest bracket
racers in the country have came out of there, Scotty and
Edmund Richardson, Jeff and Jeromey Heffler, Chucky
Weir, Austin Williams to name a few.
Posted By: BradH

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/24/10 12:17 AM

Not sure I have a favorite, but I can probably list every track I've been to right here from memory:
1. Maryland Int'l, MD (first time in 1976 or 1977)
2. Woodburn, OR (not since 1979, IIRC)
3. Colonial Beach, VA (only once, back around 1980 when it was still 1/4 mile)
4. Capitol, MD (first time in 1980 IIRC)
5. 75-80, MD
6. Mason-Dixon, MD
7. Cecil County, MD
8. E-town, NJ
9. Old Dominion, VA (but only as a spectator)
10. Summerduck, VA (once back in 1976, IIRC, but as a spectator)

I like MIR's facility a lot, but have felt a bit jerked around on how they've run things on occasion. I think it's interesting that 440Jim didn't rate it in his Top 3, considering it's his home track.

For you guys that mentioned Firebird Raceway outside of Boise, one of my older brothers lives about 10 minutes from there (close enough to hear the Nightfire Nationals, or whatever they call their annual Funny Car event). And, yet, he has absolutely no connection to drag racing...

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/24/10 12:57 AM

Firebird in Boise is a very nice track.

I have seen several posts on Bruton Smith tracks. Since he owns so many now.. But they are state of the art..

Track Location

Atlanta Motor Speedway Hampton, GA
Bristol Motor Speedway Bristol, TN
Infineon Raceway Sonoma, CA
Kentucky Speedway Sparta, KY
Las Vegas Motor Speedway Las Vegas, NV
Charlotte Motor Speedway Concord, NC
New Hampshire Motor Speedway Loudon, NH
North Wilkesboro Speedway North Wilkesboro, NC
Texas Motor Speedway Fort Worth, TX

Drag strips in bold

Chris..
Posted By: John

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/24/10 02:50 AM

Another vote for Boise's Firebird Raceway.

Also like two small, 1/8 mile tracks because of the friendly local racers and track management: Walla Walla Drag Strip (Washington) and Madras (Oregon).
Posted By: B1CUDA

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/24/10 03:55 AM

I literally grew up at this place. Some of the best memories of my life....

Attached picture 6052051-24951_1283120601508_1334883156_30737529_2882912_n.jpg

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/24/10 05:18 AM

Quote:

I literally grew up at this place. Some of the best memories of my life....

O.C.I.R

Ditto on that one.. I was at that last race there.

They filmed parts of "Heart Like A Wheel" at Orange County.

I beat Mark Washington there with my 64 Max Wedge car..(That was for you Chris)

Was a sad day when that one closed down..

http://silverstone.fortunecity.com/bonneville/218/ocir01/
http://www.competitionplus.com/2004_09_15/orange_county.html

I met Lee Shepherd in the tower when we rented the track one day. He was there testing his Pro Stocker..
When he saw my 68 Dart go 9.93 @ 138 with hubcaps and full interior he said "I bet you make some sweet $$$ with that car"..
That was 1979-80 IIRC..

Glad I didn't street race..

Chris..
Posted By: 493_DART

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/24/10 08:01 AM

I like them all ........ If i can go racing on a weekend , thats all i need

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/24/10 10:44 AM

How about adding pictures of some of these race tracks..

Bandimere.. The pits are on the top right.. Great view for watching. It's almost straight down.
Also..Track Fact.. The bleachers came from Ontario Motor Speedway when it was torn down..

Chris..

Attached picture 6052201-Bandimere1.jpg
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/24/10 10:48 PM

My home track " Island Dragway " in Great Meadows N.J. I`ve been racing there for 25 years or so. Its not real fancy but its kind of like " Cheers" were everybody knows your name ( and each other).
The track manager is a Mopar Guy and its good to know you can contact him anytime for instance I wanted to pick up my trailer ( I have a reserved parking spot) and leave my trailer there for months at a time, well I wanted to pick it up around 7 o clock on a Sunday Night long after the track closed for the day. One call and when I arrived there the gate was open for me, I`ve raced at quite a few tracks but my home track is my favorite ( and its only 35 minutes from my house.)

Posted By: rook440

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/25/10 04:24 AM

Eddyville raceway park ...been goin there since the mid 60's ,,,love the place ,,,best eighth mile anywhere ................
Posted By: Kudakidd

chico - 06/25/10 12:56 PM

New England Dragway. Cause it's only 20 miles from my house!

Posted By: DragtimeDodge

Re: What is Your Favorite Race Track ...And Why??/ Stories - 06/26/10 12:31 PM

My favorite race track is any one that isn't closed.
© 2024 Moparts Forums