Moparts

which bands and clutches for aluminum drum

Posted By: JACKSON

which bands and clutches for aluminum drum - 06/19/10 09:13 PM

putting together and rebuilding a 727 torqueflite and have a a & a aluminum drum,
which cluthes and bands do you recommend to use with an aluminum drum?
dont want that silvery metal in my trans. fluid anymore. JACKSON
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: which bands and clutches for aluminum drum - 06/19/10 10:25 PM

Posted By: dvw

Re: which bands and clutches for aluminum drum - 06/20/10 12:41 AM

Use a Kevlar band and you'll have more than silvery fluid, It will look like the drum has been on a lathe. Don't ask how I know.
Doug
Posted By: LA360

Re: which bands and clutches for aluminum drum - 06/20/10 02:12 AM

Red Racing Bands, Alto Red Eagle frictions are what I am using
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: which bands and clutches for aluminum drum - 06/20/10 02:20 AM

with an aluminum drum make sure the band does not have any grooves in the lining
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: which bands and clutches for aluminum drum - 06/20/10 02:57 AM

Call Rick @ A&A and get the parts from him.Tell him what you are running and he will set you up with the right parts.He is a top notch guy.
I just bought new Red Alto frictions,kolene steels,and a red lined solid band for my aluminum drum from him.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: which bands and clutches for aluminum drum - 06/20/10 01:04 PM

With an aluminum drum, use a red lined band (I prefer solid band, not flex), and make sure the one you buy has no grooves in the lining. Smooth lining for aluminum surface.

For the clutch pack, the drum material isn't a factor, get the ones that fit your application. The Alto Red Eagle clutches are very good, but you may not need to spend that much. Same with the Kolene steels.
Posted By: Leon441

Re: which bands and clutches for aluminum drum - 06/20/10 02:56 PM

I prefer stock style waffle clutches over the smooth more expensive red ones. A clutch pack slips when you apply it. Run the smooth clutches and they do the same thing slicks would on a wet road. They float and delay application. I tried stock replacements as well as the ALTO reds. My best luck was with the blue ones with the cross cuts commonly called waffle cut. There is less contact between clutch and steel which some think outweighs the possibility to slip on application. I ran a huge amount of power on four blue waffle clutches and the pack lasted well through the season.

Sense switching to a powerglide I've noticed the 8 pack clutch that everyone wants is the same blue waffle clutch. When you service the tranny the first thing you notice is no black grit in the clutch hub. That's because there is less slip on application and the junk is washed out by design.

Just My Opinion

Leon
© 2024 Moparts Forums