Moparts

a few dull tubes on my headers

Posted By: fourgearsavoy

a few dull tubes on my headers - 06/13/10 08:58 PM

A few weeks ago I raced my Savoy for a few shakedown runs without the mufflers and I noticed a few of my tubes are now slightly dull.This means I have a lean issue causing the excessive heat on a few tubes no?
I never had this problem with a few hundred miles on the street with full exhaust.
Gus
Posted By: nss guy

Re: a few dull tubes on my headers - 06/13/10 11:00 PM

Could also be too rich, unburn fuel burning inside tubes.

Re: a few dull tubes on my headers - 06/13/10 11:09 PM

Well I pulled the plugs from the pipes in question and they are white/gray but no aluminum yet I am going up a few sizes on the primaries as the front tubes are the ones getting dull #1 and #2 plugs look like they are more lean than the rest.
Gus
Posted By: DennisJ

Re: a few dull tubes on my headers - 06/13/10 11:22 PM

What did she run?

Dennis Jokela

Re: a few dull tubes on my headers - 06/13/10 11:39 PM

I just ran a 7.34 with very little traction with a 1.7 60' and my car usually done a 1.5 with a 9" tire.I think my new engine might be a little too much for a 9" tire.The ET Street radial went up in smoke instantly when I tried those.Then I put on a brand new pair of 9-28 ET slicks and it brought my 60 from 2.3 to 1.7. I may need a minitub and a 10.5 tire.
Gus
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: a few dull tubes on my headers - 06/13/10 11:48 PM

Quote:

Well I pulled the plugs from the pipes in question and they are white/gray but no aluminum yet I am going up a few sizes on the primaries as the front tubes are the ones getting dull #1 and #2 plugs look like they are more lean than the rest.
Gus

You can try fattening that corner of the carb or you
might need to balance the intake runners for more flow
on those cylinders... if you had egt's in all of
the tubes you could use them to set the intake balance
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: a few dull tubes on my headers - 06/14/10 03:00 AM

which intake, carbs and jetting are you using now Gus?

Re: a few dull tubes on my headers - 06/14/10 03:08 AM

Well Cab I have an Edelbrock Performer RPM,Pro-Max 1050 body 4150 style carb,82's and 4.5 PV primary and 90's and blocked PV in the rear.
Gus
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: a few dull tubes on my headers - 06/14/10 03:11 AM

I was thinking that you may have had a OEM crossram with two Carter or Eddy carbs. Good luck getting the distribution correct

Re: a few dull tubes on my headers - 06/14/10 12:54 PM

Yeah maybe someday when I become rich and shameless until then I will just have to jet up a few clicks and read my plugs like always.
Thanks Cab
Gus
© 2024 Moparts Forums