Moparts

BOOM!

Posted By: Al_Alguire

BOOM! - 05/31/10 11:40 PM

Well more like sputter..Looks like we have gone as far as this little B1 will take me for now.

Went racing this weekend and the car was trying to tell me something all weekend i was just in denial. It was slower on each consecutive pass this weekend, something this car just does not do, it is very consistent. Only put two passes on it Saturday and after our second time trial today we decided to dig a bit deeper. Looks like it is hurt, not horrbily but the leakdown numbers are not real good so time to freshen it up I suppose. I knew I was going to have to at the end of the year but not gonna make it that long.

I kind of feel we hurt it in Vegas based on what it was running there and some of the circumstances that occured there. The loss of oil pressure and the fuel pump/filter issues. It has not been it's usual self since then. But even not running right it had been in the money twice at the three races I have been to before this weekend, including a National open a couple of weeks back.

So I am trying to decide what to do. Throw something together, yes I should have done the spare a long time ago. Or just freshen this one up and call it a year. been a trying year anyway. I have most of the parts for a spare motor, which needs to be done but not sure I want to rush into that either. I am lacking a set of heads to get it together. I have been looking for a Superman deal at a Clark Kent price and draggin my feet. Looks like if I want to race again anytime soon it will need to get done. Oh well, anyone have an engine to lease
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: BOOM! - 05/31/10 11:55 PM

Well if you've been in the money 2 out of 3 times I
would think you would want to bust butt and get that
one freshened up and back in..... bummer it wanted
to do it now

Re: BOOM! - 06/01/10 12:10 AM

Quick would be nice but if needed new pisons will take time to get. New rods will as well. So unfortunately that will not be an option. Heck just about any ole motor will make enough power to run 10/90 in this thing. Heck maybe 650 hp will put it in the 9's solidly. This may be an oppoutunity to go bigger but not sure I care to stomach another crank right now. Besdies it runs more than well enough now. Was still going 152+ at 10.90 this weekend.
Posted By: supercomp

Re: BOOM! - 06/01/10 12:11 AM

You know I know the feeling. Sorry
Posted By: daytona5812

Re: BOOM! - 06/01/10 12:28 AM

Al, I have a spare motor sitting the corner. It's a 514 that makes 772 hp & 718 tq. Just needs rockers put back on. Even has fresh oil in it. If you can figure a way to get it out there, you're welcome to use it. It ran 8.70 at 162 in my Daytona @ 2470 lbs.
I know what you're going through. I've been side lined myself. First race, second pass, I lost control of the car at 800 ft & hit the wall at about 140 mph. Can't find parts to put back together. So I'll be spectating for awhile.
Let me know if you want a loaner.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: BOOM! - 06/01/10 12:53 AM

Sorry to hear Al...............sounds like you`ll be back in action soon based on the responses.
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: BOOM! - 06/01/10 01:09 AM

Quote:

Was still going 152+ at 10.90 this weekend.

Sounds like its hurt bad! Can it not be freshened up? Or are you looking at a bore job? Just curious.
Brian
Posted By: ProSport

Re: BOOM! - 06/01/10 02:27 AM

Throttle stop for 10.90 class I would imagine^^^

Sorry to hear Al, I hope it's not too costly.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: BOOM! - 06/01/10 02:35 AM

Quote:

Al, I have a spare motor sitting the corner. It's a 514 that makes 772 hp & 718 tq. Just needs rockers put back on. Even has fresh oil in it. If you can figure a way to get it out there, you're welcome to use it. It ran 8.70 at 162 in my Daytona @ 2470 lbs.
I know what you're going through. I've been side lined myself. First race, second pass, I lost control of the car at 800 ft & hit the wall at about 140 mph. Can't find parts to put back together. So I'll be spectating for awhile.

Wow, it doesn't get much easier than that

Re: BOOM! - 06/01/10 02:43 AM

Yeah sorry guess I should clarify. I run S/ST 10.90 while 152 is good for sure the car should have been running 155-156 this weekend.

So who has the super deal on a set of heads Maybe it is time to step up to something different with more power

Vern appreciate the offer. If we were only closer. Sorry to hear about your incident...
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 06/01/10 02:52 AM

Posted By: Diego_Ted

Re: BOOM! - 06/01/10 03:02 AM

with both mine down, you know I feel you pain!!

Diego
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: BOOM! - 06/01/10 03:41 AM

And just when I'm starting to make progress..
Mine is getting closer to being sorted out, and now this..

Sorry to hear this. But it doesn't seem too bad eh?

If you need something..

Chris..
Posted By: Chucklehead

Re: BOOM! - 06/01/10 03:50 AM

I saw your car Saturday at Speed World. Looked to be running good. There was a good Mopar turn out at least for what I have seen there in the past. The notch back Barracuda with the hemi seemed to be running strong also.

Re: BOOM! - 06/01/10 03:53 AM

Naw not to bad, hopefully. Had 20% on a couple of cylinders and the plugs were pretty ugly on those holes. I wish I had been more diligent looking for a set of heads. Oh well maybe now I can get both done and be ready for next year.

Re: BOOM! - 06/01/10 04:08 AM

I'm still having converter nightmares..

12% slippage as close as I can see. It's against the chip from 1100+ on @ 7600 and went a best 149.84 with a DA of about 3800' at that pass..
Didn't want to chip it up any higher..

Chris..
Posted By: JD Dart

Re: BOOM! - 06/01/10 04:35 AM

Sorry to hear that AL I would wait and freshen it up too if I were you one motor was telling me it was hurt but I didn't want to listen needles to say it went boom and a very bad way.

Re: BOOM! - 06/01/10 09:27 AM

Quote:

I saw your car Saturday at Speed World. Looked to be running good. There was a good Mopar turn out at least for what I have seen there in the past. The notch back Barracuda with the hemi seemed to be running strong also.

That Silver NotchBack is BEAUTIFUL.. 605" HEMI with 2 Dominators.. I saw it go 8.20 in that bad air..

Chris..
Posted By: chryco

Re: BOOM! - 06/01/10 09:32 AM

Sorry to hear about that Al. All the best for your mill`s "recovery". I`m going to try and get my junk out to the track in a few weeks ......
Chryco

Attached picture 6014184-IMG_2525.jpg
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: BOOM! - 06/01/10 11:52 AM

tough break Al..sorry to hear..

start pulling it apart..wish I could help...
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: BOOM! - 06/01/10 11:54 AM

Quote:

I've been side lined myself. First race, second pass, I lost control of the car at 800 ft & hit the wall at about 140 mph. Can't find parts to put back together. So I'll be spectating for awhile.

Wow Vern, I did not know this and I'm sorry for your bad luck. Hopefully your motor isn't hurt too bad Al and just could use a 'freshen-up'. I'd guess the valvesprings are shot minimum and maybe that caused some of the other problems? Either way I hope it's not too costly.
Posted By: BradH

Re: BOOM! - 06/01/10 02:03 PM

"BOOM!" sucks.

Been there, doing that right now...

Re: BOOM! - 06/01/10 02:15 PM

Wish it were the springs. They are fine, would be an easy fix though.

The car had a fuel pump issue in Vegas and we were playing with a new carb(mistake)as well. To say it got lean would be an understatement. The car was not pulling there at all as it usually does. Only went 8.48 in Vegas and only managed 160.

I also had an oil pump issue a week later, lost oil pressure somewhere on track saw it just before the stripe had only 10lbs. Still not sure though. We dropped the pan and it all looked ok, put on a new pump and pressure was fine.

As for the current issue I have had problem with low vacuum in the crankcase for the last two outings. Not really low, just not where it had always been. On the last pass I made yesterday I was watchign the gauges pretty good, all were fine but the vacuum, it was low and fluttering pretty good. I am going to assume I have a ring seal issue, and the leakdown kind of confirmed that thought.

No big deal I just need to get it freshened. The question is do I make any changes and try and squeeze any more out of it or just freshen it and go back at it. I am leaning toward the latter.
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: BOOM! - 06/01/10 02:32 PM

Quote:

The question is do I make any changes and try and squeeze any more out of it or just freshen it and go back at it. I am leaning toward the latter.

I think you pretty much summed it up yesterday when you said... "Pay a little bit now (to freshin it up) or pay alotta bit later (when it goes boom)"
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: BOOM! - 06/01/10 02:45 PM

Al, I am sorry to hear about your misfortune. I sent you a pm with a suggestion. I was thinking that 500 was pretty strong at MATS.
Posted By: B1Fish540

Re: BOOM! - 06/01/10 08:09 PM

Al, I think you have the right idea in selling the car if you want to go as as fast as i think you do. Are you thinking of racing heads up? Then you would need a a CM chassis and a BIG mill. There are some good deals on hemi99 motors right here on moparts, or you could see about that billet block and go with some 99 heads..that would get you up around 700 ci and 1500+ HP.
Posted By: johnnyrotten

Re: BOOM! - 06/01/10 11:26 PM

Freshin' it up and go have more fun! What kind of heads you looking for? Drop me a pm if you want.

Re: BOOM! - 06/02/10 03:59 AM

Well the wheels are in motion already to get it freshened up. Looking at 6-8 weeks before the engine will be ready. Will post up some pics of some of the pieces if anyone is interested. I know I have been asked about the heads by a few guys.

As for heads, Indy's or Edelbrocks would be preferred at this point. I have parts to put a shortblock to gether with those heads. B1's would be nice but unless they come with pistons it wont be much help.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: BOOM! - 06/02/10 05:23 AM

I got a set of CNC indys. (for a small block)
Posted By: tboomer

Re: BOOM! - 06/02/10 12:42 PM

Good luck on the rebuild,Al...
Posted By: Comp Chassis 2

Re: BOOM! - 06/03/10 06:00 AM

Thanks for the comments! Car is still in the working out bugs stage. Have had nothing but bad luck with motors so far. Hemi keeps eating push rods as was the case on sat night. Also have 622 wedge that has been unwilling to make more than 3 passes at a time without hurting somthing. Met and talked with Al at mopars at the strip. Qualified for Q-16 there with 622 , then head gasket issues. Al hope your year gets better! These things seem to come in streaks, Hopefully yours has reached the end, And goes uphill from here. Mike @ Comp Chassis
Posted By: Comp Chassis 2

Re: BOOM! - 06/03/10 06:09 AM

Sorry didn't get the quote in there. Was referring to the notch back cuda in Chris's post

Re: BOOM! - 06/03/10 02:11 PM

Mike you need to throw up some pictures of that thing for everyone to see. It is a very nice car. Sporry to hear you are still having issues with it. How is the Daytona going? As for me, no big deal I knew I needed to freshen it up wash juts hoping to make it til after the year was over. It will be ready in a couple of months and we will be ready again.

Re: BOOM! - 06/03/10 11:56 PM

Quote:

Mike you need to throw up some pictures of that thing for everyone to see. It is a very nice car. Sorry to hear you are still having issues with it. How is the Daytona going? As for me, no big deal I knew I needed to freshen it up wash juts hoping to make it til after the year was over. It will be ready in a couple of months and we will be ready again.

I didn't have my camera ready when he was in the lanes or I would have taken some photos and posted them.. Very clean and nicely done..

Al.. You are a Veteran at this.. You will probably be ready by Bakersfield..

Hopefully the cylinders don't have any "Black Death" from Vegas..

Chris..

Re: BOOM! - 06/04/10 04:13 AM

Oh we will be ready by Bakersfield for sure. Only gonna be a matter of waiting for the rods and Isky to redo the lifters. Engine is apart and we are leaving in the AM to take it to Jason. Already put those wheels in motion.

Trying to decide if we are gonna dust off the other car to run a divisional or two just wait and focus on next year, and looking for another car. I have an oppourtunity to buy a nice 6.00 car but the price is kinda high and would have to sell the Cuda to make it happen. Leaning toward just getting it back up and runnign and focusing on next year and using Bakersfield and Vegas to get ready to try this again next year. Oh yeah the spare WILL be also made ready soon. Whether is makes it in the car is another question. I will miss Fallon because I was caught with my pants down this time.
© 2024 Moparts Forums