Moparts

My new headers

Posted By: bigtimeauto

My new headers - 05/11/10 03:54 AM

I got tired of my CPPA's and decided since i touched every other part of this car i my as well make a set of headers. Was a lot of work in a weekend and a little pricey since i used stainless but now i have ground clearance, plug clearance, change the starter if i have to, pull the trans and even take them out without pulling the engine! Anybody have a machine that can copy them???? (b deck, 440-1, alterkation) They are 2.25". (i'm waiting for the stainless collectors to get here)

Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: My new headers - 05/11/10 04:35 AM

Very nice..Now build a jig and start making em and the money will be raining in

Re: My new headers - 05/11/10 05:07 AM

Quote:

Very nice..Now build a jig and start making em and the money will be raining in

THX, I had talked to stainless works in the past about this. They have a laser for measuring and can duplicate the tubes WITHOUT the welds. Down side is they still need to fit to the flanges and welded there. My shop is to full to be torturing myself making headers all day.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: My new headers - 05/11/10 05:09 AM

Next time I am doing mine in stainless as well. Not sure i saved much money by the time are the tubing is purchased and I get them coated anyway. Besides stainless looks way better

Re: My new headers - 05/11/10 05:12 AM

Here is a pic first pass of the year after sitting. So much for jet hot being inside, the red under the car in the back is rust!

Posted By: rebel

Re: My new headers - 05/11/10 07:23 AM

Quote:

Next time I am doing mine in stainless as well. Not sure i saved much money by the time are the tubing is purchased and I get them coated anyway. Besides stainless looks way better

one of my racing buddys has his tubes made in stainless, they retain the heat forever. he has burn marks all over his arm from this tubes. my homemade coated tubes are almost cold 5 mins after a run, his are still hot after 10 mins.
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: My new headers - 05/11/10 07:48 AM

Very NICE..

Chris..
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: My new headers - 05/11/10 09:07 AM

looks good Bobby!
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: My new headers - 05/11/10 11:46 AM

Nice job..thanks for sharing the pics. I built a set similar for mine a few years ago. MF front-end.

Re: My new headers - 05/11/10 02:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

one of my racing buddys has his tubes made in stainless, they retain the heat forever. he has burn marks all over his arm from this tubes. my homemade coated tubes are almost cold 5 mins after a run, his are still hot after 10 mins.

They might retain heat longer but the positives are more than the negatives especially in a boosted car.
Posted By: Tig

Re: My new headers - 05/11/10 07:30 PM

Quote:

Isn't that an advantage?
To be honest I haven't noticed a difference between the old tin headers and the stainless ones. But we do leave the pump and fans on to cool between rounds.
Nice job on the headers too
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: My new headers - 05/11/10 07:48 PM

wow, very nice.
Posted By: chryco

Re: My new headers - 05/12/10 12:03 AM

Nice pipes !!
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: My new headers - 05/12/10 12:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I have to disagree with this. On mine the tubes cool down much faster than the flange. Mine are SS but the flange is steel.

Nice job Bob, they look great!
Posted By: moparniac

Re: My new headers - 05/12/10 12:22 AM

nice! you got skills for sure!
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: My new headers - 05/12/10 12:27 AM

I agree custom headers in a big horsepower application really are a good idea.
What was the range of primary lengths you were able to put together?
Are you going with 4" collector?
What size motor etc?

My 511 has 2-1/8" x 32" x 4". But the front pipes are a few inches longer than all the rest. It was a compromise with my stock frame, torsion bars, etc. But I am very happy with the performance compared to off-the-shelf 2" x 36+ headers.

But I strip and re-paint every couple years to save the metal I spent so much time making (amateur).

Re: My new headers - 05/12/10 12:35 AM

Quote:

I agree custom headers in a big horsepower application really are a good idea.
What was the range of primary lengths you were able to put together?
Are you going with 4" collector?
What size motor etc?

My 511 has 2-1/8" x 32" x 4". But the front pipes are a few inches longer than all the rest. It was a compromise with my stock frame, torsion bars, etc. But I am very happy with the performance compared to off-the-shelf 2" x 36+ headers.

But I strip and re-paint every couple years to save the metal I spent so much time making (amateur).

I'll measure them up later and post the info for you
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: My new headers - 05/12/10 03:29 AM

hey bob, i need a set of headers, these 2" pro parts are holding me back.....LOL

Im broke too... LOL

looks very nice
Posted By: jughed

Re: My new headers - 05/12/10 11:33 AM

...very nice.

i may need to go with thicker flanges for a procharger...where did you get yours??

Re: My new headers - 05/13/10 04:45 AM

Quote:

...very nice.

i may need to go with thicker flanges for a procharger...where did you get yours??

http://www.spdexhaust.com/

Re: My new headers - 05/13/10 04:47 AM

Quote:

hey bob, i need a set of headers, these 2" pro parts are holding me back.....LOL

Im broke too... LOL

looks very nice

yo need to tighten that front end down!
I only made the headers cause I was roasting the old ones with no timing in it.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: My new headers - 05/13/10 09:21 AM

Nice lookin tubes... is there a way to get larger
radius' for better flow... I know some just cant do
it but it helps

Re: My new headers - 05/13/10 12:43 PM

Quote:

it but it helps

absolutely no more room. I wanted to step them to 2.5 but had to give up on that idea also.

Re: My new headers - 05/13/10 07:17 PM

Quote:

it but it helps

You can't do much in the way of gradual bends do to the narrow shock towers and framerails.

Attached picture 5980683-PassBS.jpg

Re: My new headers - 05/13/10 07:27 PM

The drivers side makes things a little more roomy up top but then you got some major needle threading necessary to avoid starter, steering and T-bars. Again as has been pointed out big power can be made using "inferior" designs. N20mstr (good example) has got to be near 1300 HP on NOS with 'junk headers'...That's impressive and has to be the most extreme example relative to this thread.

Attached picture 5980699-Driverbs.jpg

Re: My new headers - 05/13/10 07:54 PM

I was 172 at 3300lbs with the 2" cppa's.

Re: My new headers - 05/13/10 08:08 PM

No disrespect intented and I know your program is impressive for sure. I know a blower is more forgiving with the exhaust system. And his pipes are significantly longer than CPPA's design. But I have (and had...thought you were a NO ET racer?) no idea without the Wallace calc. what kinda power your makin'. The secret is out now...unless you edit your thread. LOL

Re: My new headers - 05/13/10 08:19 PM

Quote:

No disrespect intented and I know your program is impressive for sure. I know a blower is more forgiving with the exhaust system. And his pipes are significantly longer than CPPA's design. But I have (and had...thought you were a NO ET racer?) no idea without the Wallace calc. what kinda power your makin'. The secret is out now...unless you edit your thread. LOL

Actually the blower hates bottled up exhaust just like nos. MY cppa's were 2" 36-41"

yep word is out my car only runs 8ohs.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: My new headers - 05/13/10 09:18 PM

Actually the blower hates bottled up exhaust just like nos. MY cppa's were 2" 36-41"

yep word is out my car only runs 8ohs.

Yep, blower cars dont normally run a collector...
no reason for them(get the pressure out as fast as
possible)

Re: My new headers - 05/13/10 09:23 PM

Quote:

im in the bushes....
i canT hang with you guys, im too heavy got some dieting to do lol

only been 162 once.. mostly 159-160 in 8.50 trim
car weighs 3550 with me in it

the best example of headers helping is i saw Guppy pick up almost .5?? when going from 1 7/8 to i think 2 1/8.

gOT TO help you im sure, when you gonna try them out?? Be nice to see some 7 sec Real Street car type Mopars out there Bob

Re: My new headers - 05/13/10 10:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

im in the bushes....

the best example of headers helping is i saw Guppy pick up almost .5?? when going from 1 7/8 to i think 2 1/8.

gOT TO help you im sure, when you gonna try them out?? Be nice to see some 7 sec Real Street car type Mopars out there Bob

I'm at maple grove as we speak...

Re: My new headers - 05/13/10 10:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

im in the bushes....

I'm at maple grove as we speak...

And......
you holding A 7 SEC SLIP YET???
you can PM me....i can keep a secret, LOL

Re: My new headers - 05/13/10 10:26 PM

no runs today., and trust me i will never hold a 7 sec. time slip for this car. 8 oh's thats all
Posted By: blownzoom440

Re: My new headers - 05/13/10 11:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

im in the bushes....

i have some interest in the pipe pressure on boosted cars and there effect but it gets pritty complecated.
© 2024 Moparts Forums