Moparts

Old LaPlace Dragway Pictures

Posted By: S/ST 3040

Old LaPlace Dragway Pictures - 04/29/10 03:20 AM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bykyak/sets...with/4255048914

Some neat pictures from days of yore.
Posted By: lowell66dart

Re: Old LaPlace Dragway Pictures - 04/29/10 01:03 PM

Laplace Dragway was located in LaPlace Louisiana which is located about midway between New Orleans and Baton Rouge. This was the site of the first two Cajun Nationals. I still have my pit pass from one of them (thanks mom). Thanks for posting Vic.
Posted By: 40ford

Re: Old LaPlace Dragway Pictures - 04/29/10 01:53 PM

Great Photos! Brings back good memories about how it used to be.

One vivid memory I have from about 1971----the day was very hot(around 100 degrees) in August. We had been eliminated and were siting in the stands trying to stay cool. Many in the stands were drinking wine, one young lady up in the top rows of the stands had too much to drink and passed out. Her adjacent fans calmly passed her down from row to row and she was laid on the ground by the fence----and everyone continued to watch the races.

After the races we stopped at Middendorfs at Manshack Pass for some of their great seafood!

Re: Old LaPlace Dragway Pictures - 04/30/10 12:32 AM

That place is still there, still has great food. If you ever get down this way again let me know and I'll treat you to a meal there.
Posted By: B1Fish540

Re: Old LaPlace Dragway Pictures - 04/30/10 02:52 AM

Neat seeing those old pix of Cudas and Darts. What amazes me is those cars were taken right off the showroom floor in '67 and made into funny cars! It was the first year for the 2nd gen Barracuda and the Camaro...and yet, there they are!

I'd like to see someone do that with the new Challenger!

Re: Old LaPlace Dragway Pictures - 04/30/10 03:21 AM

The Jake's Speed Shop altered wheelbase car is a 66 Dart I think. Jake's was the only speed shop down here at the time. Really cool place. The Rambunctious car was a Gene Snow car out of Texas if I'm not mistaken, one of the first real floppers.
Posted By: 40ford

Re: Old LaPlace Dragway Pictures - 04/30/10 02:44 PM

I've eaten there many times, but the last time was probably 20 years ago. Just thinking about it makes me hungry----if I am ever in the area I will take you up on your offer.
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: Old LaPlace Dragway Pictures - 04/30/10 10:06 PM

I bought a set of Cragar SS Mags for my brand new 69 Charger R/T from Jakes Speed Shop in 1969.
© 2024 Moparts Forums