Moparts

{{{{{{{{ OIL LEAK @ DIZZY }}}}}}}}} FIXED }}}}}}}}}}

Posted By: rickstershemi

{{{{{{{{ OIL LEAK @ DIZZY }}}}}}}}} FIXED }}}}}}}}}} - 04/23/10 08:42 PM

OK, my sons pickup...360...is leaking oil at the dizzy base, it's an aftermarket unit w/o-ring, oil pressure is 45# @ idle and 70# on the peddle...???? This is warmed up @ 180 - 190*

What do you guys think it could be....just a crap fit or something else, have never seen this situation..??????

Doesn't leak until it's run hard....?????

Rickster
Posted By: bigdad

Re: {{{{{{{{ OIL LEAK @ DIZZY }}}}}}}}} - 04/23/10 08:47 PM

Is it a Mopar perf ?
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: {{{{{{{{ OIL LEAK @ DIZZY }}}}}}}}} - 04/23/10 09:19 PM

I`ve never had luck w/just the o-ring so I use the paper gasket around the base also......problem solved.

Re: {{{{{{{{ OIL LEAK @ DIZZY }}}}}}}}} - 04/23/10 09:33 PM

Quote:

I`ve never had luck w/just the o-ring so I use the paper gasket around the base also......problem solved.

Same thing I thought, just wasn't sure as the oil pressure being 50-75# seems unusual for a stock melling pump on a stock 360 long=block rebuild..???? Will have to grab some gaskets tomorrow and try-em out...

Rickster
Posted By: go green

Re: {{{{{{{{ OIL LEAK @ DIZZY }}}}}}}}} - 04/23/10 09:35 PM

If it pukes out under load I would put a bigger PVC vent on it .

Re: {{{{{{{{ OIL LEAK @ DIZZY }}}}}}}}} - 04/23/10 09:43 PM

Quote:

Even then it shouldn`t leak..........mine doesn`t w/or w/out a pvc valve.

Re: {{{{{{{{ OIL LEAK @ DIZZY }}}}}}}}} - 04/23/10 09:49 PM

Quote:

Excellent question....drivers side v/c is vented...pass v/c had a PVC, I removed the PVC since the d/s cover was vented....???? Would I be better off blocking off the vent and just running the PVC...??????

Rickster

Re: {{{{{{{{ OIL LEAK @ DIZZY }}}}}}}}} - 04/23/10 09:55 PM

For the pcv to properly work you need the valve on one side and breather on the other. It STILL shouldnt leak when you put the paper gasket on in my opinion.

Re: {{{{{{{{ OIL LEAK @ DIZZY }}}}}}}}} - 04/23/10 09:59 PM

well we will give it try.....I was just surprised at the oil pressure and thought there could be a problem that I wasn't aware of....

Rickster
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: {{{{{{{{ OIL LEAK @ DIZZY }}}}}}}}} - 04/23/10 10:03 PM

Rick the oil pressure doesnt have anything to do with
it, its just splash oil getting up there and getting
out... gotta have a O-ring or gasket... if its not
vented good enough that pressure is going to get out
WHERE EVER it can and right now you dont have a positive
seal at that point... get a gasket on it and check the
venting

Re: {{{{{{{{ OIL LEAK @ DIZZY }}}}}}}}} - 04/23/10 10:38 PM

Quote:

Rick the oil pressure doesnt have anything to do with
it, its just splash oil getting up there and getting
out... gotta have a O-ring or gasket... if its not
vented good enough that pressure is going to get out
WHERE EVER it can and right now you dont have a positive
seal at that point... get a gasket on it and check the
venting

Thanks Mike, kinda what I thought, it has a vent on the d/s and a PVC on the p/s and it was still leaking....so it must be the gasket, the o-ring on the dizzy is suspect as to location, it looked to be below the btm of the casting or very close

I will get a couple of gaskets and try that, should do the trick.... Wasn't sure on the oil pressure playing a part in it though, thanks for clearing that up

Rickster
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: {{{{{{{{ OIL LEAK @ DIZZY }}}}}}}}} - 04/24/10 04:26 AM

Yo sure it is the distributor and not the intake or oil pressure sending unit, or gauge adapter?
Posted By: jamesc

Re: {{{{{{{{ OIL LEAK @ DIZZY }}}}}}}}} - 04/24/10 04:42 AM

Quote:

Yo sure it is the distributor and not the intake or oil pressure sending unit, or gauge adapter?

exactly what i was thinking

Re: {{{{{{{{ OIL LEAK @ DIZZY }}}}}}}}} - 04/24/10 10:47 AM

Quote:

I'm fairly certain it is at the dizzy, I know it's not at the sending unit and hope it's not the intake If it still leaks after adding gaskets then it will be the intake

Rickster
Posted By: moparmxz

Re: {{{{{{{{ OIL LEAK @ DIZZY }}}}}}}}} - 04/24/10 12:43 PM

Another vote for the oil sender or intake manifold,as i,ve owned lots of mopars and never had a distributor leak.
Posted By: 727builder

Re: {{{{{{{{ OIL LEAK @ DIZZY }}}}}}}}} - 04/24/10 02:26 PM

I was thinking rear intake gasket as well. May have lost its seal when you wasnt running the pcv valve.

Re: {{{{{{{{ OIL LEAK @ DIZZY }}}}}}}}} - 04/24/10 06:13 PM

Quote:

I was thinking rear intake gasket as well. May have lost its seal when you wasnt running the pcv valve.

It was leaking before I disconnected the pvc...???? It looks to be coming from the dizzy, going to pull it today or tomorrow and try the gaskets on the dizzy...?????

Rickster

Re: {{{{{{{{ OIL LEAK @ DIZZY }}}}}}}}} - 04/24/10 07:27 PM

I guarantee you IF it`s the dizzy, that gasket will seal it......................been there done that.

Re: {{{{{{{{ OIL LEAK @ DIZZY }}}}}}}}} FIXED }}}}}}}} - 04/24/10 09:26 PM

Quote:

I guarantee you IF it`s the dizzy, that gasket will seal it......................been there done that.

Well it looks like your the winner Dominic....it was the dizzy and I had a gasket for it in the kit that came with the long block never thought to use it do to the o-ring on the cheapo billet dizzy By the way I am very pleased with this distributor....$59 bucks delivered and so far it's a fairly nice piece
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: {{{{{{{{ OIL LEAK @ DIZZY }}}}}}}}} FIXED }}}}}}}} - 04/24/10 09:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Well it looks like your the winner Dominic....it was the dizzy and I had a gasket for it in the kit that came with the long block never thought to use it do to the o-ring on the cheapo billet dizzy By the way I am very pleased with this distributor....$59 bucks delivered and so far it's a fairly nice piece

Glad to hear you got that out of the way

Re: {{{{{{{{ OIL LEAK @ DIZZY }}}}}}}}} FIXED }}}}}}}} - 04/24/10 09:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Glad to hear you got that out of the way

Me too Mike, I hate leaks more than anything

Thanks to everyone for your help

Rickster
© 2024 Moparts Forums