Moparts

Wanna hear what boost can do?

Posted By: dizuster

Wanna hear what boost can do? - 04/22/10 12:14 PM

Ok first off, this is about a Ford. I don’t condone owning one, or even liking them. I’m just passing on the facts because if a Ford can do it, I’m sure a Mopar could do it better…

So I work with a young kid who bought a 5.0 mustang at the end of last year. It’s an ’86 and I’m pretty sure it was the last virgin unmodified 5.0 mustang on the planet. So he puts a set of drag radials on it, and a 3.73 gear. It immediately breaks the trans. So over the winter it got a good clutch, and a decent trans.

This sping he’s been talking to me about hopping it up. Headers, intake, heads, cam, etc… I kept telling him, “why don’t you just buy a turbo kit for it?” So finally he took my advice. $1500 spent on ebay, and his Turbo kit shows up at his door. Fuel pump, injectors, turbo, headers, most of the piping, and a little intercooler.

So he puts this kit on… It went to the chassis dyno and in N/A stock (waste gate open, so no boost) form it made 185hp to the wheels. Pretty much on par for a DEAD stock mustang.

So then on the first turbo pull, he tells me that at 9psi of boost, they had to shut it down because they were worried it was going to break the block. 540ft/lbs at the tires at 3800rpm.

At this point, I’m thinking…”uh huh…sure it did.”

So they take some timing out of it, and make some more pulls. At 9psi, on pump gas, with only 18 degree’s it “supossidly” made 420HP to the wheels and 510ft/lbs.

And again, I’m thinking…”uh huh…sure it did.”

Later in the week, we were talking about the whole thing. I told him, “Eric, it’s not that I’m trying to be a jerk or anything, but don’t you think that Dyno might be a little happy? I mean, you picked up 235HP, on a 185HP base motor, with only 9psi of boost, and even less then stock timing…” He kind of saw my point, and I think he was a little skeptical too then.

Well the car went to the track yesterday. Granted this kid has probably only made 20 passes down the strip in his whole life, so he’s not exactly Ronnie Sox’s.

11.99@117mph.

Guess I’ll be eating my hat for lunch today…

Just amazing.

I had a dream last night that I bought a $500 Cordoba with a low compression smog 400 in it, just so I could slap a turbo on it…
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 04/22/10 12:21 PM

boost is silly. It flat works. no need for big bumpy cams, high stall or tall gears. I dropped a full second off my et w/ 5.5 lbs of boost on a mild 440. And I didn't tune it much. Probably left some on the table and would have run better w/ 3.73's over the .91's I had. My next build will be boosted. You can have you cake and eat it.

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 04/22/10 12:51 PM

Sorry correction. It went 11.90@118...

He weighed it at Milan too. 3595lbs (Stock '86 GT, +Turbo, +intercooler, +heavier trans, +him in it, +frame connectors)

Just blows my mind.
Posted By: Duner

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 04/22/10 01:11 PM

There's no doubt about the fact that boost just flat out works!

I do question the amount of boost vs the numbers though. It sounds like he's putting more than 9 psi of boost to it to me. The math sounds more like 15 psi.

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 04/22/10 01:20 PM

LOL... that's what I said too. But I saw it with my own eyes. Not to mention it went to a reputable ford dyno, and they were shooting for 400hp at 8~9psi of boost. They said they do it all the time.

The physics just don't add up for me, but the proof is in the pudding.
Posted By: BobR

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 04/22/10 01:31 PM

I'd show you guys what a broken exhaust valve can do to a 3500 dollar turbo but the picture is on my home computer.
Posted By: sdaurity

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 04/22/10 01:37 PM

See it all the time down here and do alot for guys around here. They just flat out get it done with nothing. That is why fox bodys are so popular not that they are mustangs, but they are cheap and will run very well with very little money put to them..
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 04/22/10 04:30 PM

this topic makes me real happy since im building a boosted engine thats a very good result
Posted By: topfueldart

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 04/22/10 06:31 PM

My combination is basically the same, except in mopar land. Its a 318 with stock small valve heads, a 467/494 Crane Cam, Air Gap and 650 DP. 3.54 gear, and 28 inch tire in a 3350 lb plus me and junk in the trunk makes it 3550 raceweight, 68 Dart. The heads are a major restriction, but on 13 lbs the car just went 11.48 @ 120 on pump gas with water/meth. Without boost, im sure it would be a mid 14 second car.

Except I built the kit, didnt buy it.

I wanted to show what could be done with a cheap motor, im willing to bet an edelbrock head swap would be worth 100 horse, easy.
Posted By: rabid scott

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 04/22/10 06:53 PM

Well, get us all excited will ya!

Last time I had my Challenger to the track it ran a best of 13.9 @ 100 with an old stock 1968 375 horse 440 with headers and a 750 Holley.

I wonder what I'll pick up with a few PSI thrown at it?

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 04/22/10 06:59 PM

Quote:

Last time I had my Challenger to the track it ran a best of 13.9 @ 100 with an old stock 1968 375 horse 440 with headers and a 750 Holley.

This was a mild 440 build maybe 9:1 w/ a summit cam stock 906 heads, RPm intake, 750 Proformed main body DP, headers, 175k stall and 3.91's. Ran 12.90's in good cool air. 12.98-13.03 in the warm months. I put on this almost undersized SN-2000 and ran 12.08 w/o any tuning..on about 5.5-6psi of boost. It ran in the 12.0's untill I melted #3 (my fault) tossed another piston in and slapped a 8psi pully on it, but sold it in the staging lane before I could run it. Ran all day that day at 12.38 shifting way early and coming out soft. Probably could have run 11.7's easy.

Attached picture 5940977-sc2aa.JPG
Posted By: BobR

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 04/22/10 08:09 PM

Quote:

Rule of thumb is approx 30 hp per boost pound.
Posted By: 440dart

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 04/22/10 10:31 PM

Quote:

I'd show you guys what a broken exhaust valve can do to a 3500 dollar turbo but the picture is on my home computer.

I cant show you the turbo, but i can show you the piston and head.

Attached picture 5941284-0420001157.jpg
Posted By: 440dart

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 04/22/10 10:32 PM

Quote:

Piston

Attached picture 5941286-0420001126.jpg
Posted By: blownzoom440

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 04/22/10 10:51 PM

looks like the valves were shaking around in there for a while.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 04/23/10 01:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Bob,What's the rule of thumb with a roots blower??

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 04/23/10 02:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bob,What's the rule of thumb with a roots blower??

i think it is more like 40hp per lb but also think it has to do with size of engine and head flow combined.

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 04/23/10 01:02 PM

more about how much air flow you can get as opposed to how much boost.
Posted By: cold85

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 04/23/10 01:11 PM

we made over 800 to the tires with a good set of heads and stock rods pistons crank and block
this run was on 275's

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 04/23/10 01:25 PM

How long did that short block last at that power?!
Posted By: rabid scott

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 04/23/10 03:58 PM

Wooo!!! That's some exciting encouragement there!!
Posted By: whiplash

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 04/24/10 01:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Is that for centrifugals as well? I'm getting 12 psi intercooled, does that really equate to 360 hp? seems high to me.
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 04/24/10 01:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Is that for centrifugals as well? I'm getting 12 psi intercooled, does that really equate to 360 hp? seems high to me.

I would assume that a centrifugal charger takes power to drive it too.

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 04/24/10 06:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I agree, that's high in my case as well. It is entirely based on the top-end of the motor. My heads are extremely restrictive, and boost is nothing but A MEASURE OF RESTRICTION. A 500 horse NA motor with good heads is going to respond to boost alot better than a stocker type combo.
Posted By: Shaker223

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 04/24/10 01:48 PM

Quote:

My combination is basically the same, except in mopar land. Its a 318 with stock small valve heads, a 467/494 Crane Cam, Air Gap and 650 DP. 3.54 gear, and 28 inch tire in a 3350 lb plus me and junk in the trunk makes it 3550 raceweight, 68 Dart. The heads are a major restriction, but on 13 lbs the car just went 11.48 @ 120 on pump gas with water/meth. Without boost, im sure it would be a mid 14 second car.

I wanted to show what could be done with a cheap motor, im willing to bet an edelbrock head swap would be worth 100 horse, easy.

Same experience here....you all know how fast a stock slant 6 is. Put about 30psi into it and it reponds very well! 11.77 @ 116....That was at 3500lbs. Best mph was just short of 118. That's almost 450 at the crank.

Talk about restriction...the stock head flows around 120cfm on the intake and 90 on the exhaust. The stock rockers are about a 1.39 ratio and the cam lift at the valve is around .365 lift.
Posted By: Dos Snails

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 04/25/10 09:30 PM

Quote:

Case in point, I went 13.88 @ 98 on 13 lbs with a 4 cylinder Spirit R/T! ( OH yea, 3400 lbs with me in it!)

Attached picture 5946805-davesresize.jpg
Posted By: turbo66valiant

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 04/25/10 10:49 PM

Quote:

We went 11.04 @ 124 with basically the same car and 318 but .512 roller, Edelbrocks w/ 8 psi boost and 575 Demon. Heads do make a diff!
Later
Ryan
Posted By: 8valves

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 04/29/10 02:26 AM

Quote:

I'm hoping that's a statement in regards to JUST one particular combination you've dealt with?

Because there is no "rule of thumb" for power/psi. All applications vary.

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 04/29/10 04:37 AM

Absolutely. Since the boost number is just a measure of the amount of air that's NOT making it thru the engine, the same boost number with better flowing heads, cam, intake and carb (TB) will make lots more power.

My existing fuel system would only support a certain amount of power. With my original set of heads - I got to that HP number and fuel limitation at 16 psi of boost. I swapped heads and I actually got more power but ran into the same fuel limitation at 10 psi. Everything else stayed the same, just swapped a better flowing set of heads.

To break it down:
Original heads with 16 psi of Vortech Blower and Intercooled Boost - 11.43 @ 124.24 mph or 34.375 hp per lb of boost.

Original heads with 16 psi of Turbo and Intercooled Boost - 10.98 @ 126.24 mph or 39.25 hp per lb of boost.

New heads with 10 psi of Turbo (all things the same) - 10.74 @ 128 mph or 68.4 hp per lb of boost.

Not all boost is the same.... not all engines are the same. Huge difference with just heads change. While the boost number gives some frame of reference, it's no measure of how many lbs of air goes thru the engine.

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 04/29/10 10:33 AM

It should be stated that the curve of each individual setup for power/PSI is also based upon the actual setup. It is NOT constant.

At the end of the day XXX amount of CFM ends up producing XXX amount of power. What your engine can actually swallow at once will give you the boost it has to run to make said power.

Duner, as much as I like your vehicles, I must say, I'd be blown away (no pun intended) if you raised boost 1 psi and picked up another 68 HP. That's about 20 HP more per PSI than a well designed and optimized system on DOHC 300 or so CID motors that make 400 HP stock and over 1000 HP boosted that I deal with regularly.

Just for reference.

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 04/29/10 11:20 AM

what they said..i think i said it before...it's about airflow not boost. get the good air/fuel in and as much as you can.

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 04/29/10 01:12 PM

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't going to do everything in my power to test that! I have a few more items that need to be purchased before I can make the changes. Right now it's still running on an FMU and 160 psi of fuel pressure thru 24# injectors. I can't raise the pressure any higher and I can't get it to run on larger injectors.... yet.

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 04/30/10 03:31 AM

Quote:

It should be stated that the curve of each individual setup for power/PSI is also based upon the actual setup. It is NOT constant.

At the end of the day XXX amount of CFM ends up producing XXX amount of power. What your engine can actually swallow at once will give you the boost it has to run to make said power.

Duner, as much as I like your vehicles, I must say, I'd be blown away (no pun intended) if you raised boost 1 psi and picked up another 68 HP. That's about 20 HP more per PSI than a well designed and optimized system on DOHC 300 or so CID motors that make 400 HP stock and over 1000 HP boosted that I deal with regularly.

Just for reference.

I got to thinking about the differences. I don't know what "optimized for boost" would be, but I sure have a bunch of time in my home-brewed port job! LOL

According to my math, the change to better flowing heads basically took my NA numbers from 303 hp to 407 hp - and then you just multiply times the boost number from there. So the question is: Should the hp per # of boost be total? or just what it added? Because if you subtract the NA numbers out of the total hp produced, that's what the boost actually did..... or is that not the way to think of it?

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 04/30/10 08:57 AM

Just what it added. Thats why the 68 number was so wrong.

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 04/30/10 01:03 PM

Quote:

Oh, OK. Then it should be more like 27.7 hp gained per lb of boost in my current configuration. That makes more sense anyway.
Posted By: gdonovan

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 05/01/10 10:19 AM

Quote:

Because there is no "rule of thumb" for power/psi. All applications vary.

Yes.

I can vouch for the 2.2 / 2.5 engines, depending on the setup 10 to 20 hp per pound of boost is normal.

The 8 valve heads flow pretty poor and turbine and intercooler restrictions play their parts as well.

Gary
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 05/01/10 06:16 PM

my car runs 6.2s in the 1/8th

493 with around 720hp

i just ported a set of ls1 heads for my friend that put a tiny turbo on his car. he went 6.38 the second time out with no tuning.

I'm pissed! he has $1500 in the motor and $2500 in the turbo and fuel system.

for the past week i'm really starting to think about building a low dough new hemi with twin turbos. i have very knowledgable friends that do turbo stuff and i'm thinking very hard about it now.

another factor is, if i ever wanted to go faster with a bb i need a block. thats atleast 3k right there

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 05/01/10 07:28 PM

Whoever says there is no replacement for displacement, has never ridden in a fast blown/turbo car!!

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 05/01/10 08:54 PM

Quote:

Whoever says there is no replacement for displacement, has never ridden in a fast blown/turbo car!!

ummm yeah but do the same thing to a bigger motor and get BIGGER results.

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 05/01/10 09:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yea but I get 30 mpg off boost .

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 05/02/10 02:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yea but I get 30 mpg off boost .

so?

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 05/02/10 03:31 AM

So? Cuz I can up the boost to 25 lbs Rip off some low 12's & woop that Charger of yours & still get 30 mpg on my way home, .

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 05/02/10 01:40 PM

Quote:

So? Cuz I can up the boost to 25 lbs Rip off some low 12's & woop that Charger of yours & still get 30 mpg on my way home, .

charger should be running a tad better than that, but if I cared about MPG I would have built a Neon and cranked up the boost. I was going to boost this car but had too much compression so I went w/ a 6-pack instead. I'll just pop the outboards for the long trips... should be good for 12mpg or so.

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 05/02/10 08:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Oh, OK. Then it should be more like 27.7 hp gained per lb of boost in my current configuration. That makes more sense anyway.

Yup, you've got it now.

"Optimized" in my book is properly sized turbos for the intended purpose of the vehicle, well done headers with attention paid to lengths and diameters, for both primaries and secondaries, wastegate placement, downpipe and wastegate recirculation, if any, etc.

Then we move to the cold side of things... smooth radius bends, quality intercooler cores stacked for the application, be it super cold charge or minimal pressure drop as a priority.

Then comes the head, camshaft(s). It all works together.

Do you have to do it? Not at all. Some "junk" has gone REAL fast. But if you take the time, effort, and money (HA!) you can see results above and beyond the norm. If you do it well on a high flowing head combination with the right cam you're able to see 40-50 WHP gains per PSI on sub 500" engines.

I couldn't begin to imagine the gains possible on some "big" motors!

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 05/02/10 09:14 PM

Quote:

Yup, you've got it now.

"Optimized" in my book is properly sized turbos for the intended purpose of the vehicle, well done headers with attention paid to lengths and diameters, for both primaries and secondaries, wastegate placement, downpipe and wastegate recirculation, if any, etc.

Then we move to the cold side of things... smooth radius bends, quality intercooler cores stacked for the application, be it super cold charge or minimal pressure drop as a priority.

Do you have to do it? Not at all. Some "junk" has gone REAL fast. But if you take the time, effort, and money (HA!) you can see results above and beyond the norm. If you do it well on a high flowing head combination with the right cam you're able to see 40-50 WHP gains per PSI on sub 500" engines.

I apologize for putting the screwy numbers originally. Another part of it is that lower boost numbers seem to do more per lb of boost than it does after you turn it up some. Once it all starts to boost stack it makes lots of back pressure against the exhaust trying to make that additional boost. At least on my junk - then return starts to drop off with additional boost.

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 05/02/10 10:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yup, you've got it now.

I apologize for putting the screwy numbers originally. Another part of it is that lower boost numbers seem to do more per lb of boost than it does after you turn it up some. Once it all starts to boost stack it makes lots of back pressure against the exhaust trying to make that additional boost. At least on my junk - then return starts to drop off with additional boost.

No need for the apology, no big deal!

What you're seeing is exactly my point of an optimized setup. Sounds like it's time for you to make a jump in either turbine wheel or housing. More than likely wheel. That will have a much more significant difference than a housing AR change.

And I will say it again, keeping that 1:1 PR between intake and exhaust is crucial in making big turbo power.

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 05/03/10 12:07 AM

Quote:

No need for the apology, no big deal!

What you're seeing is exactly my point of an optimized setup. Sounds like it's time for you to make a jump in either turbine wheel or housing. More than likely wheel. That will have a much more significant difference than a housing AR change.

And I will say it again, keeping that 1:1 PR between intake and exhaust is crucial in making big turbo power.

I'm pretty sure you are right about that. I'm still amazed it can make almost 700hp thru a single .96 A/R T4 housing/wheel with a full 3" single exhaust. I've been hesitant to change it simply because it's so very responsive on the street. There's no waiting for boost - ever. You hit the throttle and you're busy steering! LOL
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 05/14/10 08:41 PM

Quote:

Another part of it is that lower boost numbers seem to do more per lb of boost than it does after you turn it up some. Once it all starts to boost stack it makes lots of back pressure against the exhaust trying to make that additional boost. At least on my junk - then return starts to drop off with additional boost.

There's a mathematical reason/perception for that also. Run at 15 PSI and you've essentially increased your engine displacement by 100%(14.7+15=~30). If you then jump to 30 PSI you've doubled your boost -- but you've only increased that overall displacement by another 50%(30+15>>45).
Posted By: ixelerate

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 05/16/10 08:05 PM

Was this an ebay turbo or brand name? That car makes some crazy numbers, but I really wonder about longevity, especially on a 24 year old car
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 05/18/10 01:14 AM

Quote:

Was this an ebay turbo or brand name? That car makes some crazy numbers, but I really wonder about longevity, especially on a 24 year old car

My experience with the 5.0 mustangs is if the motor isn't broken, don't fix it unless your upgrading. A friend of mine tore down his 200,000 91 5.0 and honed it, new rings, bearings, etc. It didn't go any faster it just used less oil lol.

Re: Wanna hear what boost can do? - 05/18/10 01:25 AM

here is what it can do.701hp from 1300cc themotorhead and [christor johanson[sweden] put togather and the bike is street driven.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oU3gTR8ebY
© 2024 Moparts Forums