Moparts

fixing cast iron heads?

Posted By: 7sec.cuda

fixing cast iron heads? - 04/20/10 05:57 PM

does anybody fix cracks in cast iron heads? i have a set of older stage 4 heads that one of them cracked in between the seats and was wondering if it worth the effort or money to fix it thanks
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: fixing cast iron heads? - 04/20/10 06:02 PM

Do a cast iron welding search for your area or deisel engine repairs. Cast iron welding is done nation wide, especially on heavy(comercial) deisel engines. You'll have to decide on the costs if it's worth it or not. Aluminum heads are a lot better choice now
Posted By: XXHEMI

Re: fixing cast iron heads? - 04/20/10 11:20 PM

Jeff at Modern has fixed mine in the past!
Posted By: maxeffort

Re: fixing cast iron heads? - 04/21/10 12:22 AM

Yes, I can help you with expert cast iron stitch repair. I'm right in MA if you need help with those.

Posted By: jdfpam

Re: fixing cast iron heads? - 04/21/10 03:35 AM

Indy cylinder head fixed one of my max wedge stocker heads. It had a sand casting pit open up after racing it for a while. They weren't the cheapest or the easiest to deal with, but I am about to start my 3rd season since the repair on that engine. In the end, that is what matters.

Jeff Day
Precision Automotive Machine
Canton, Ohio
Posted By: maxeffort

Re: fixing cast iron heads? - 04/21/10 12:07 PM

I posted some photos of simple and complicated repairs. Stitch technique works vey well for cracks between the seats. When you weld, you put the head casting through a lot of changes and it needs a complete rebuild and machining.

Usually the cracks can just be stitched cold, the valve job touched up and your good to go. It's very common repair for us on the magnum heads, they crack between the seats all the time. After stitching the heads are pressure tested and the resulting repair has been very reliable.
Posted By: 7sec.cuda

Re: fixing cast iron heads? - 04/21/10 03:22 PM

thanks i will give you a call
© 2024 Moparts Forums