Moparts

Shifting Manual Valve Body - Easier to Push, or Pull?

Posted By: kielbasa

Shifting Manual Valve Body - Easier to Push, or Pull? - 04/01/10 05:33 PM

Hi guys....will be ordering a PPP shifter for my car (mostly street driven). I'll be running a reverse pattern - and I'm guessing it's a lot easier to the slam the shifter forward (while upshifting) instead of pulling the trigger and handle back? I'm used to my slapstick and assumed forward motion is just easier than pulling back.
However, I noticed in a lot of shifter pics that several race cars pull back to upshift....would seem clumsy to me. Am I missing something, or is it a personal preference thing?
Thanks for any info!!
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Shifting Manual Valve Body - Easier to Push, or Pull? - 04/01/10 05:52 PM

I prefer the reverse pattern valve bodys and shifters, it is pretty hard to go from third to nuetral while shifting back towards the stop in the shifter. I have shifted from 3rd to nuetral in a forward pattern valve body and shifter Also into reverse once I no longer try to shift the the trans into nuetral at the finish line, no matter what One thing bad about the reverse pattern shifters that are not a lever activated or a click type rachet shifter is that if you leave your hand on the shifter and leave hard in 1st gear you can shift it into 2nd on the hit I have the TA, Fairbanks type shifters and love them I have had a driven other cars with a lot of other brands annd types of shifters and I like the TA type best
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Shifting Manual Valve Body - Easier to Push, or Pull? - 04/01/10 06:40 PM

Mine is a Turbo Action Cheetah shifter and Turbo Action reverse pattern manual valve body. Easier to pull than push

Attached File
Posted By: viperrt

Re: Shifting Manual Valve Body - Easier to Push, or Pull? - 04/01/10 06:44 PM

I have a PPP once you are in 1st you only pull the handle back ie; no lever to touch. Pulling is better.
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Shifting Manual Valve Body - Easier to Push, or Pull? - 04/01/10 07:05 PM

Another advantage to a RVB is low gear is only one click away from neutral....nice when you're pre-staged if you want to clear the throttle one good time before rolling into the second beam to stage. Less to think about is better
Posted By: dOc !

Re: Shifting Manual Valve Body - Easier to Push, or Pull? - 04/01/10 07:23 PM

I prefer to PUSH .... 'da buttons ...
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: Shifting Manual Valve Body - Easier to Push, or Pull? - 04/01/10 07:25 PM

Quote:

Another advantage to a RVB is low geatr is only one click away from neutral....nice when you're pre-staged if you want to clear the throttle one good time before rolling into the second beam to stage. Less to think about is better

that's why i went with reverse.
Posted By: StripeHOG

Re: Shifting Manual Valve Body - Easier to Push, or Pull? - 04/01/10 08:05 PM

I'd rather pull my shifter, but the shiftnoid won't let me!!! dang that thing can bite hard LOL
Posted By: pinkduster

Re: Shifting Manual Valve Body - Easier to Push, or Pull? - 04/01/10 08:10 PM

My Road Runner had a rev pattern manual valvebody and some sort of B&M shifter (with the factory console) when I bought it. I hated every minute of it. You can't shift to neutral from third if you want to coast. The reverse lockout was a pain in the butt. I also had problems with the cable that eventually left me stranded. I took all that stuff out. Had my friend go through my trans after I lost reverse and had him install a forward pattern manual valvebody. Now I'm running all the factory slap stick parts and it works great. Just slap it through the gears like Mother Mopar intended.

Re: Shifting Manual Valve Body - Easier to Push, or Pull? - 04/01/10 09:38 PM

Quote:

I have a PPP once you are in 1st you only pull the handle back ie; no lever to touch. Pulling is better.

but don't you pull the lever anyways when pulling the entire handle back?
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: Shifting Manual Valve Body - Easier to Push, or Pull? - 04/02/10 12:53 AM

Well, I don't use a PPP shifter (I have a B&M pro ratchet) but I have a forward manual valve body and so I push up to shift up.

I can't say I've tried a reverse pattern VB, but I do like pushing it up, with this ratchet shifter it's easy to just slam your hand into it and up it goes.
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: Shifting Manual Valve Body - Easier to Push, or Pull? - 04/02/10 12:59 AM

Pull on my PPP
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Shifting Manual Valve Body - Easier to Push, or Pull? - 04/02/10 01:11 AM

I prefer to pull it... G force is heading in that
direction also... I use a reverse V/B with a Pro-
ratchet... has NEVER missed a shift... I also prefer
to have the cable pulling... if you get the cable
housing to close to the header it will melt the housing
and the interior cable will pop out the side if you
push the cabls... been there before then I changed ... JMO
Posted By: 4Huntin

Re: Shifting Manual Valve Body - Easier to Push, or Pull? - 04/02/10 01:15 AM

If your making any power you gotta like the reverse manual.
Just keep your hand of the shifter when you go.
Steve
Posted By: Cudafied

Re: Shifting Manual Valve Body - Easier to Push, or Pull? - 04/02/10 01:29 AM

My PPP shifter is a pull but I wish I got it as a push....Hands down the best shifter on the market

Posted By: 67HEMI

Re: Shifting Manual Valve Body - Easier to Push, or Pull? - 04/02/10 03:50 AM

I like the reverse pattern on my Turbo Action Shifter.

Re: Shifting Manual Valve Body - Easier to Push, or Pull? - 04/02/10 04:06 AM

Quote:

My PPP shifter is a pull but I wish I got it as a push....Hands down the best shifter on the market

Thats defiantly a personal preference... I myself
think they look very cheap(a couple of alum plates
with a few bolts holding it together).... might be
efficient but cheap..... just my opinion
Also do you have to hold the handle to make a shift,
looks like it to me BUT I dont own one.... I know
alot of guys like them
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: Shifting Manual Valve Body - Easier to Push, or Pull? - 04/02/10 04:36 AM

I use a Turbo Action Cheeta manual, rev valve body and a B & M Pro Ratchet with a RPM activated air shifter. Don't pull or push.
Brian

Re: Shifting Manual Valve Body - Easier to Push, or Pull? - 04/02/10 11:55 AM

hmmm, so some of you would rather pull, some would rather push.....pushing just seems so much easier (like I said, probably from being used to my slapstick - both hands on the wheel, when you need the next gear just hit the shifter and hand back on the wheel (i got manual steering)....
but the drwback i found out is that i need a forward exiting cable if i want to push with a reverse manual valve body...maybe i'll just have to try it both ways?
Posted By: dc426

Re: Shifting Manual Valve Body - Easier to Push, or Pull? - 04/02/10 12:02 PM

I have a PPP that is a "Push" and that's with a RMVB. When I first got it with the car I was skeptical about "pushing". Now I won't have it any other way. I have too many friends that pull and sometimes pull too hard and go 1st to 3rd. It'll never happen with this shifter.
DC

Posted By: Lil Demon

Re: Shifting Manual Valve Body - Easier to Push, or Pull? - 04/02/10 04:11 PM

Well - it may be opinion or it could be fact - but PPP IMO is the best shifter you can buy. Apparently about 95% of the money is no object racers agree. Add in that PPP has never, not once, had a shifter returned due to a defect or malfunction and that is pretty good testimant to the quality and performance.

Whether you are pushing or pulling - it is impossible to inadvertantly mis-shift. Now - push-pull - it is all personal preference.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Shifting Manual Valve Body - Easier to Push, or Pull? - 04/02/10 04:16 PM

Pulling makes more sense especially when g forces are salammin you back in the seat anyhow. I run the hurst pro-matic 2 if it matters.

Re: Shifting Manual Valve Body - Easier to Push, or Pull? - 04/02/10 07:59 PM

well, my question still is, if I pull to upshift, do I need to pull the lever also? Or just the handle - because if I have to pull both to upshift, then obviously I'd rather push (or "slam") just the handle to upshift.....
Posted By: 4Huntin

Re: Shifting Manual Valve Body - Easier to Push, or Pull? - 04/02/10 08:07 PM

On the Hurst 1/4 stick you need the lever for
third, and to get reverse and park.
Steve

Re: Shifting Manual Valve Body - Easier to Push, or Pull? - 04/02/10 09:15 PM

PPP you do not have to pull the level to shift.. just to put it in reves..
Posted By: 727builder

Re: Shifting Manual Valve Body - Easier to Push, or Pull? - 04/02/10 09:57 PM

I Haven't tried them all, But for my I will be using a pro-ratchet till im in the ground.

Attached picture 5903751-340intake009.jpg
Posted By: gsmopar

Re: Shifting Manual Valve Body - Easier to Push, or Pull? - 04/02/10 10:29 PM

B&M Stealth Pro Rachet. Currently running a forward manual vb, soon to switch to a reverse. The shifter doesn't care!

Re: Shifting Manual Valve Body - Easier to Push, or Pull? - 04/02/10 10:45 PM

Quote:

I Haven't tried them all, But for my I will be using a pro-ratchet till im in the ground.

One thing that I like about the pro ratchet is that
it returns to the same spot after you shift... it doesnt
keep getting farther or closer with each shift
Posted By: 383man

383man - 04/03/10 04:15 AM

I like the reverse manual v/b as to me it is much easier pulling the shifter to me when racing. Ron
Posted By: mark_gates

Re: 383man - 04/03/10 09:55 AM

For years I had a TF2 forward action vb with a B&M Z gate forward action and got along well with it, then I got a CRT FMVB and installed the B&M ProRatchet. Works even better!

Re: 383man - 04/03/10 12:10 PM

Dam Mark is that realy you ! I thought you fell off the earth or something...Good to see you post
Posted By: poisondart2

Re: Shifting Manual Valve Body - Easier to Push, or Pull? - 04/03/10 12:11 PM

Quote:

Me also Just as Mr P pointed out it returns to the same position everytime
© 2024 Moparts Forums