Moparts

B to RB Distributor adapter

Posted By: Moparlar

B to RB Distributor adapter - 04/01/10 01:51 PM

Since Mopar Performance has discontinued the distributor Adapter does anyone else make it.

I have a brand new 440 Distributor but I have had a couple years and MSD won't exchange it for me.

Larry
Posted By: Frederick

Re: B to RB Distributor adapter - 04/01/10 02:31 PM

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mopar-Performance/312/P3690275/10002/-1?parentProductId=1195858

Or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Distribut...sQ5fAccessories

Re: B to RB Distributor adapter - 04/01/10 03:01 PM

Quote:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mopar-Performance/312/P3690275/10002/-1?parentProductId=1195858

Or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Distribut...sQ5fAccessories

Both say not in stock needs to be ordered but MP doesn't have it anymore

Larry
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: B to RB Distributor adapter - 04/01/10 03:06 PM

Are people willing to pay $60-70 bucks for them anymore??? I mean there are all sorts of options for B deck distributors anymore.

Re: B to RB Distributor adapter - 04/01/10 03:10 PM

Maybe you can have someone turn a spacer on a lathe.
Posted By: DennisJ

Re: B to RB Distributor adapter - 04/01/10 03:37 PM

I just swap the shaft.

Dennis Jokela

Re: B to RB Distributor adapter - 04/01/10 03:41 PM

Quote:

Are people willing to pay $60-70 bucks for them anymore??? I mean there are all sorts of options for B deck distributors anymore.

I already have a brand new MSD that was for my older 440 and now I am building a 400 stroker so I would like to use the new distributor unless someone would like to trade.

LArry

Re: B to RB Distributor adapter - 04/01/10 03:41 PM

Quote:

Maybe you can have someone turn a spacer on a lathe.

it is not just the spacer it also needs a longer bracket

Larry

Re: B to RB Distributor adapter - 04/01/10 04:13 PM

I know, but I figured you could make that yourself.
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: B to RB Distributor adapter - 04/01/10 08:28 PM

Quote:

Since Mopar Performance has discontinued the distributor Adapter does anyone else make it.

I have a brand new 440 Distributor but I have had a couple years and MSD won't exchange it for me.

Larry

Try Mancini Racing..

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/disadset.html

Just my $0.01..
Posted By: Moparteacher

Re: B to RB Distributor adapter - 04/01/10 09:00 PM

Hold the phone! The MP adapter doesn't fit the MSD billet distributor. The distributor base is too fat with bearing and surrounding aluminum.

The adapter will need to go onto a lathe and the base of the distributor will need some shaving.

The adapter fits the MP distributor and stock type distributor because they use a bushing on the bottom.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: B to RB Distributor adapter - 04/01/10 10:24 PM

A couple of people have tried their hand at selling adapters which do fit the MSD distributor but I'm not sure if anyone is still doing that these days.

The price on the adapter kit had gotten so expensive from Mopar that it was almost cheaper to just buy a new distributor. Custom Wire has new distributors out now and so does 440Source.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: B to RB Distributor adapter - 04/02/10 12:43 AM

Yea,

Setting up a custom, one off (less than 1000) part machining operation is expensive. Back in the day, the MP price around $50 was good. But I don't think anyone can pay the overhead and labor to do it for double that now-a-days.

For an MSD distributor, the thru hole needs to be around 1.525", and the radius is a concern. FWIW, attached.

Attached picture 5902025-distspacer2MSD.jpg

Re: B to RB Distributor adapter - 04/02/10 12:59 AM

Quote:

Custom Wire has new distributors out now and so does 440Source.

The 440Source distributor is from ProComp, and can be bought New for $50 at the swap meets @ Pomona & Long Beach..

Just my $0.01..
Posted By: dOoC

Re: B to RB Distributor adapter - 04/02/10 02:08 AM

ANYONE here try just cutting and then fitting the RB shaft to fit a B engine ?

A Bud of mine in the Orlando area did just this. IIRC .. it took him about an hour with a hack-saw.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: B to RB Distributor adapter - 04/02/10 07:22 AM

just send it back to MSD and have them put a B engine shaft in it.....

Re: B to RB Distributor adapter - 04/02/10 01:14 PM

I found 1 yesterday and I am all set. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Larry

Re: B to RB Distributor adapter - 04/02/10 01:24 PM

Quote:

I found 1 yesterday and I am all set. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Larry

Is it an old MP part?
What diameter is the hole in the center? (1-1/8, 1-1/2, etc)

Re: B to RB Distributor adapter - 04/02/10 01:30 PM

It was an old MP part. The center hole was 1.250

Larry

Re: B to RB Distributor adapter - 04/02/10 01:39 PM

I don't think the MSD distributor is going to fit in that hole. Check it.

Re: B to RB Distributor adapter - 04/02/10 01:40 PM

It doesn't I already bored the hole bigger
Posted By: 452RT

Re: B to RB Distributor adapter - 04/02/10 07:34 PM

About 5 years ago or better, I used to make the adapters. I started out with the one on the right but as said it would not fit the MSD dist., so I made some changes and came up with the one on the left.

I sold the adapter and hold down for $55 including shipping but it was a bust and couldn't sell enough to justify doing it anymore.

Posted By: 68moparmike

Re: B to RB Distributor adapter - 10/13/10 04:28 AM

Quote:

About 5 years ago or better, I used to make the adapters. I started out with the one on the right but as said it would not fit the MSD dist., so I made some changes and came up with the one on the left.

I sold the adapter and hold down for $55 including shipping but it was a bust and couldn't sell enough to justify doing it anymore.

do you have any left
Posted By: MrFoFody

Re: B to RB Distributor adapter - 10/13/10 06:56 AM

I have the set from 452RT, right in front of me as I type this. I purchased two sets for me and my bro. Very nice pieces and craftsmanship. It's too bad you don't make them anymore as they are worth every cent you were charging.
Posted By: mac56

Re: B to RB Distributor adapter - 10/13/10 06:57 AM

Quote:

ANYONE here try just cutting and then fitting the RB shaft to fit a B engine ?

A Bud of mine in the Orlando area did just this. IIRC .. it took him about an hour with a hack-saw.

I put mine in the bridgeport and shortened the shaft. 15 minutes tops. The shaft can also be ordered from msd for a reasonable price.
Posted By: deaks

Re: B to RB Distributor adapter - 10/13/10 08:02 AM

Rob Mac on here used to do them.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: B to RB Distributor adapter - 10/13/10 09:23 AM

Quote:

Rob Mac on here used to do them.

I assume you mean McRobb Performance Products..
Posted By: deaks

Re: B to RB Distributor adapter - 10/13/10 12:21 PM

Yeah, i knew i was close, i bought a nice fuel filter off him, good guy to deal with.
Mick
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: B to RB Distributor adapter - 10/13/10 02:46 PM

Quote:

it was a bust and couldn't sell enough to justify doing it anymore.

Same with mp, the price really didn't have any effect on it one way or the other. It was a nice convienience item to have, but has never been a hot seller.
Posted By: Mike Miller

Re: B to RB Distributor adapter - 10/13/10 04:39 PM

FYI...... you can order a "B" shaft from MSD for $35.00 and just change that. Did that on the MSD distributor for the Yellow Submarine when we changed the motor over to a low deck. Easy to do and if you ever need to go back the other way, just swap the other shaft back in!
Posted By: 452RT

Re: B to RB Distributor adapter - 10/13/10 05:08 PM

Some of the guys that bought my adapters were using them to clear the vc's.
Just so ya all know, I am a couple years from retirement and my plans are in the near future to buy a Bridgeport, lathe and all the other goodies to start making custom parts. It will be a hobby, not a business.

Quote:

FYI...... you can order a "B" shaft from MSD for $35.00 and just change that. Did that on the MSD distributor for the Yellow Submarine when we changed the motor over to a low deck. Easy to do and if you ever need to go back the other way, just swap the other shaft back in!

Re: B to RB Distributor adapter - 10/13/10 06:39 PM

Quote:

Larry

Keep checking E-Bay they are often on there..

Just my $0.02...
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: B to RB Distributor adapter - 10/13/10 08:20 PM

Quote:

Good to know .
© 2024 Moparts Forums