Moparts

wiw original B1 heads

Posted By: scatpack68

wiw original B1 heads - 03/25/10 11:04 PM

I have come across a set of original B1 heads, new in the box with valves. They have been sitting in the box for 15 to 20 years. Just wanted to get an idea of what they are worth.

Thanks
Posted By: B1Fish540

Re: wiw original B1 heads - 03/25/10 11:22 PM

I dont think they have changed over the years..still make gobs of HP. But being that old i would'nt pay top dollar. I assume its just the heads and does not include the intake..so maybe $1800.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: wiw original B1 heads - 03/26/10 12:01 AM

with or without valves, $1500.00 with valves especially if they are not ported.
They are not as desireable now since B1 has come out with PSO, MC and TS heads, they are a thing of the past imo.
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: wiw original B1 heads - 03/26/10 12:07 AM

I wouldnt say a thing of the past. We had a set, and guys were falling all over us when we sold them. A guy said they are accually worth more because of their design and such.

We got 2800 for ours and they were mildly ported 360cfm ish. and had used stainless valves and a matched B1 intake.

Kasey

Re: wiw original B1 heads - 03/26/10 12:13 AM

Quote:

I wouldnt say a thing of the past. We had a set, and guys were falling all over us when we sold them. A guy said they are accually worth more because of their design and such.

We got 2800 for ours and they were mildly ported 360cfm ish. and had used stainless valves and a matched B1 intake.

Kasey

so why did you sell them?
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: wiw original B1 heads - 03/26/10 12:17 AM

Sold the 588, changed the charger from an 8 second car to a street car, Its a Numbers R/T SE with numbers 440 and no rust. Its a lot of work so far, but will be well worth it.

Re: wiw original B1 heads - 03/26/10 12:55 AM

Quote:

They are not as desireable now since B1 has come out with PSO, MC and TS heads, they are a thing of the past imo.

That is a common misconception, believe me they are more exotic(even today)than any of the Indy heads except for the Predator. Both the small block W-series and the B1s have been around many years but, yet, have not really been improved upon. The MC and PSO are still pretty much the same castings as the original B1..just with bigger valves and moved centerline.
Posted By: joshking440

Re: wiw original B1 heads - 03/26/10 01:04 AM

Quote:

what a maroon.....
Posted By: demongup

Re: wiw original B1 heads - 03/26/10 01:06 AM

pm sent
Posted By: jamesc

Re: wiw original B1 heads - 03/26/10 01:07 AM

Quote:

they are a thing of the past imo.

why yes a head that goes over 400cfm ported is certainly a thing of the past, send all your obsolete b1 heads to me please i will dispose of them in a proper and environmentally responsible manner.

you mentioned the pso, mc and ts so lets evaluate that...priced a set of prepared pso or ts heads lately? and someone correct me if i'm wrong but the b1 original and mc heads (maybe even the pso?) are the same casting aren't they?

Re: wiw original B1 heads - 03/26/10 01:12 AM

yo adam wassup?

Re: wiw original B1 heads - 03/26/10 01:16 AM

B1 originals are $2069.00 from Koffel brand new.
so a old set is worth $1500.00

Re: wiw original B1 heads - 03/26/10 01:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

what a maroon.....

yo armchair quarterback ease up on the redbull.
ya got your beer muscles on tiger?

Re: wiw original B1 heads - 03/26/10 01:22 AM

i wasn't getting into the price (and $2069 is bare) just responding to your comment that they "are a thing of the past". just curious what other head in it's price/performance range would you recommend?
Posted By: joshking440

Re: wiw original B1 heads - 03/26/10 01:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

what a maroon.....

yo armchair quarterback ease up on the redbull.
ya got your beer muscles on tiger?

oh know....we have a comedian.... get bent dude....your ignorant comment deserved what it got....

Re: wiw original B1 heads - 03/26/10 01:33 AM

Quote:

i wasn't getting into the price (and $2069 is bare) just responding to your comment that they "are a thing of the past". just curious what other head in it's price/performance range would you recommend?

i wasn't replying to you btw.it was the other maroon .i havew no beef with you.
the op was asking what his heads are worth?
thats all.
usually you get 50% of what you paid for the item.
i'd buy a set of B1 PSO or MC or TS before i bought a set of B1 originals.
there are better B1's out there now for not much more money. yes id like to have them over indy 440-1's.
Posted By: demongup

Re: wiw original B1 heads - 03/26/10 02:39 AM

Who is it?

Re: wiw original B1 heads - 03/26/10 04:52 AM

the only one of the three you listed that i would consider "not much more money" would be the MC and i don't know that it's enough of an improvement to make the step from a set of properly done originals. if i was going to make a move it would probably be past the MC and then you're at another level. what do you think you're going to get into a set of PSO's or TS for pricewise? not to mention afaik about the only intake for either of them is going to be sheetmetal. guess it all depends on one's budget, what's cheap to one person is expensive to another. just curious what heads you're using?

Re: wiw original B1 heads - 03/26/10 05:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

what a maroon.....

What color is maroon??
Posted By: Spode

Re: wiw original B1 heads - 03/26/10 05:57 PM

Quote:

with or without valves,
What color is maroon??

metal flake moron
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: wiw original B1 heads - 03/26/10 07:19 PM

Quote:

What color is maroon??

a shade darker than moron, although ultramaroon is altogether different.

Re: wiw original B1 heads - 03/26/10 07:28 PM

Quote:

I have come across a set of original B1 heads, new in the box with valves. They have been sitting in the box for 15 to 20 years. Just wanted to get an idea of what they are worth.

Thanks

We have to remember these are "new In Box" so even tho they are old they arent really. So thats why i thought $1800 would be a fair price. But anywhere between 1500 and 1800 would be OK, imho.

James, yes, they are all the same casting, Original, MC, and PSO. The PSO just has a modified intake port location/shape but its worth 20+ CFM over the MC(which flows 450 CFM fully ported)so Pete's PSO head flows 470 CFM...the most for any inline valve head, period.

Re: wiw original B1 heads - 03/26/10 07:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

We have to remember these are "new In Box" so even tho they are old they arent really. So thats why i thought $1800 would be a fair price. But anywhere between 1500 and 1800 would be OK, imho.

James, yes, they are all the same casting, Original, MC, and PSO. The PSO just has a modified intake port location/shape but its worth 20+ CFM over the MC(which flows 450 CFM fully ported)so Pete's PSO head flows 470 CFM...the most for any inline valve head, period.

I think they have a great design. id dont hear alot of guys buying them recently.Even though they flow much better than a 440-1 or a 572-13.

Re: wiw original B1 heads - 03/26/10 07:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

I think they have a great design. id dont hear alot of guys buying them recently.Even though they flow much better than a 440-1 or a 572-13.

You mean the PSO? Well, the price is no doubt the big factor in them not selling, The Indy stuff(except the Predator)is alot cheaper. On the other hand, the PSOs flow about 70 or 80 CFM more than the best 572-13. Is 150 HP worth the extra $$$..i think to some people it would be. For me personally, it would be no contest if i had the money..easy choice, PSO!
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: wiw original B1 heads - 03/26/10 07:54 PM

I figure 50 to 75% of what you can buy them for brand new, based on the fact that they are as good, just no "warranty" that they are OK as is to start with. Nobody asked if it was a kit,(whole top end package) or just heads and valves.
Maybe that is where some of the disagreement comes from.
To figure out what they are worth to you, figure what other costs are involved if you bought them on sale in the fall from Koffels, work from there. Stuff like shipping, tax, etc.

Re: wiw original B1 heads - 03/26/10 07:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

You mean the PSO? Well, the price is no doubt the big factor in them not selling, The Indy stuff(except the Predator)is alot cheaper. On the other hand, the PSOs flow about 70 or 80 CFM more than the best 572-13. Is 150 HP worth the extra $$$..i think to some people it would be. For me personally, it would be no contest if i had the money..easy choice, PSO!

The B1 originals still flow better than a 572-13 indy head.
PSO's to me are worth the extra $$$$ over any 572-13 head imo.

Re: wiw original B1 heads - 03/26/10 08:03 PM

Quote:

I figure 50 to 75% of what you can buy them for brand new, based on the fact that they are as good, just no "warranty" that they are OK as is to start with. Nobody asked if it was a kit,(whole top end package) or just heads and valves.
Maybe that is where some of the disagreement comes from.
To figure out what they are worth to you, figure what other costs are involved if you bought them on sale in the fall from Koffels, work from there. Stuff like shipping, tax, etc.

Greg, in my first reply I assumed it was not a kit as he said they only came w/valves. I think it would be great to get them for $1500., but you seldom see just the bare heads for sale...so thats why its hard to say exactly what they are worth.

Re: wiw original B1 heads - 03/26/10 08:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

OK, you were making a general statement on the B1 series. Well, thats true, even the the Original out flows most 572-13s that i've seen.
As far as guys buying B1s..or switching to B1s, i have to disagree, more and more are running them all the time, imho. I know you have switched yourself, right superstockracer?

Re: wiw original B1 heads - 03/26/10 08:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks

OK, you were making a general statement on the B1 series. Well, thats true, even the the Original out flows most 572-13s that i've seen.
As far as guys buying B1s..or switching to B1s, i have to disagree, more and more are running them all the time, imho. I know you have switched yourself, right superstockracer?

i have made the switch over from indy to the B1 TS heads.
i bought a set of B1 originals and then decided if i was going to build a strong motor why settle and go for the best.The TS heads were my choice, as far a cost and proven power,it was hands down a better choice than originals.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: wiw original B1 heads - 03/26/10 08:59 PM

Now that this post came up I am thinking about selling
my B1 M/C's but they sure wont go as cheap as $2000,
mine are fully cnc'd with tit valves.... he11 I have
better than $800 in just the intake valves... plus I
plan on selling the Jesel 1.7 rockers with them....
I think I'm gonna sell all of my race BB stuff....
I have MOST of the stuff for the engine I was going
to build(lacking a cam)

Re: wiw original B1 heads - 03/26/10 10:07 PM

Quote:

Now that this post came up I am thinking about selling
my B1 M/C's but they sure wont go as cheap as $2000,
mine are fully cnc'd with tit valves.... he11 I have
better than $800 in just the intake valves... plus I
plan on selling the Jesel 1.7 rockers with them....
I think I'm gonna sell all of my race BB stuff....
I have MOST of the stuff for the engine I was going
to build(lacking a cam)

Mike, are yours new and never run?
you got me ing.
Posted By: Diablo

Re: wiw original B1 heads - 03/26/10 11:12 PM

Didn't someone post a few weeks back a set of Brewer heads that flowed equal to the PSO heads?

To me the b1 originals are a great head and a great step up from the 440-1's or 572-13's.

There is a B1 head for any power level your looking for!!!!
Posted By: PETE@BESTMACHINE

Re: wiw original B1 heads - 03/26/10 11:16 PM

It would be nice if people had there facts straight before they post information about the PSO head. It is a different casting, special pour at the foundry. I have never flow tested a B-1 M/C head that flowed 450 CFM, If one did than the PSO head on that bench would be closer to 500 CFM. Flow benchs are not all the same and if you are going to compare heads than one bench is used for all heads period. The PSO casting is raw and our heads were done our way and would be different if some else tried to do a pair on there own.
© 2024 Moparts Forums