Moparts

Moser or Strange Race Axles?

Posted By: Anonymous

Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/15/10 01:06 AM

which ones do you prefer and why?
Mark Williams is not an option, there splines dont line up with a strange spool.
I've used both Moser and Strange before but want to know why Strange costs more than Moser, Whats the difference?
i'm ordering a new set tomorrow.

Attached picture 5865431-Ladderbars63Plymouth,hemiindycrossramoffset,009.JPG
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/15/10 01:18 AM

I have Moser and love them. Never had Strange axles but I do have thier spool.

The Mosers are agreat axle and they do alot to support the racers. They have been sponsoring a great program at Norwlk for the last couple years so that would be a main reason why they would get my vote.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/15/10 01:20 AM

I've got strange in it now but I plan on ordering a new
set of axles here shortly(the splines on mine are twisted
pretty good) and I'm not sure whos I'll get this time,
to me they are pretty much the same.... like you I
cant go with MW due to the spool
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/15/10 01:29 AM

I used to run Strange axles,and after having one break,and a call to Strange ,my opinion of them went way downhill.I assumed I would have to pay something and that did not bother me,but it took around 12 days to get my axle,so I missed an extra week of racing when I was doing well in the points.
I bought all Moser stuff the last time,and when first ordering and going back to get axles cut and resplined,I have had excellent service.Both times I have had my parts in just a couple of days.That can mean a world of difference sometimes.
Posted By: sam64

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/15/10 01:33 AM

3 cars, moser 35 spline stuff in all three,great service.

Attached picture 5865509-mopars032(Small).jpg
Posted By: chryco

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/15/10 01:48 AM

For what it`s worth , Strange . I`ve run them for years in my Dana and have just replaced them due to twist (16 years ) with new Strange units . Ordered them through Bear`s no hassle there either.
Chryco

Attached picture 5865553-poster24109047.1.jpg
Posted By: nosboy

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/15/10 01:55 AM

I had an issue when I took the Dana 60 to another builder to have the caliper plates installed.. He cut the CRAP out of them to try and fit them ( when you didn't have to cut them at all) and STRANGE gave me a new set of plates for free.. I told them that someone else cut them up and I would gladly pay for replacements... They were really helpful and EXPLAINED the process and helped out... VERY GOOD COMPANY to deal with.... Clean enviornment,, they took care of the shop AND their customers...
Posted By: nosboy

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/15/10 01:57 AM

Another time when I took the Dana 60 to get reworked... Ron Vefron had my Dana HOSTAGE for THREE MONTHS.. (june July and August) before I threatened to PULL HIS HAIR OUT till he was BALD,,, COMPLETELY BALD... I took it to Strange and they helped out BIGTIME!!!!
Posted By: 446acuda

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/15/10 02:06 AM

Quote:

Mark Williams is not an option, there splines dont line up with a strange spool.

Although MW does have their specific splines, they will make axles with OE type splines just like Moser and Strange.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/15/10 02:52 AM

I think they're both great companies.

I bought a set of axles from Moser; service was great, shipping was fast and the cost was reasonable. The axles haave been trouble free.
Posted By: Super Scamp

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/15/10 03:00 AM

Quote:

I think they're both great companies.

I bought a set of axles from Moser; service was great, shipping was fast and the cost was reasonable. The axles haave been trouble free.

I run both of the two companys Moser Axles and Strange Spool 35 spline stuff. Moser was a great buy, awsome stuff and great customer service..

Attached picture 5865771-P1200101.JPG
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/15/10 07:57 AM

Street/strip: Moser or Dutchman (1541 with ductile flange)

Strip only: Strange Pro Race (4340 thru-hardened)
Posted By: BobR

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/15/10 02:27 PM

Quote:

Exactly. Try to drill and tap a Strange flange for 5/8" studs sometime. Then try a Moser. You'll see the difference.

Post deleted by Defbob - 03/15/10 04:22 PM

Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/15/10 04:30 PM

Quote:

Been running the 30 spline Dutchmans for many years street/strip and so far so good.

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/15/10 04:41 PM

Strange and Mark Williams also make Street/Strip axles, but for the price and quality, I prefer Dutchman.
Posted By: sixpakdodge

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/15/10 05:27 PM

Strange.

My Horizon still has the original Strange axles that Herb McCandless installed in 1981 when he built the car.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/15/10 06:05 PM

I have MW axles,Strange 4:56 gears and spool..Call MW,Chris,and ask for Brian...
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/15/10 07:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Exactly. Try to drill and tap a Strange flange for 5/8" studs sometime. Then try a Moser. You'll see the difference.

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/15/10 08:36 PM

i'm not looking for any street strip axles only full race application.
are strange that much better than moser?which are heavier?
Posted By: SuperStocker

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/15/10 09:49 PM

I recommend Moser. The customer service is by far the best of them all, minus Dr. Diff, and they are the first contingency check you will receive after winning. They will build you a set of axles any way you want(gun-drilled, star-flanged) and are easy to work with. For my money, I'll run a Moser axle anyday.
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/15/10 11:28 PM

My experience says go with Strange. I have used all three but for this for this disscussion I say Strange. The manufacturing quality is better.
eg. The sets of Moser axles with 5/8 studs that I have used are a pain in the a$$. The wheels take a lot of convincing to get on/off. All the starnge axles with 5/8 studs that I have used usaly go on/off fairly well.
I now steer customers towords Strange.
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/16/10 12:19 AM

I ran Strange on my first race car.....eight years with no problems , great customer service when ordering.
This time around I went with Moser and they have been awesome with one minor hiccup.
I first did the car as a streeter , then after a couple boring years , decided to get serious again.
I had my housing narrowed and wanted the axles shortened too.
I called them and got the " send them in " from one guy ....... then I read on their web site that they need to take 3 1/2 " off to get past the original splines.
I am only shortening them 2 1/4 ".
I called back and a different guy ( salesman ? ) told me I needed to buy new.
I called a couple people who do this , and was told that they can pick up on the original splines.
So I called them back and spoke with a third guy who said " send them in "
In they went.
I am waiting for the call with pricing , but I don't see any problems.

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/16/10 01:28 AM

so are you saying i can send back my strange axles and get them shortened. i need 1-1/2" off each side and i want 5/8th studs put on as well. i love my old strange axles.

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/16/10 01:33 AM

I never considered Moser as race axles, I have a Moser dana 60 under my street car. Drove up there and picked it up, great people.
If your looking for race axles, go Strange or better yet Mark Williams, the best there is.

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/16/10 02:23 AM

Quote:

so are you saying i can send back my strange axles and get them shortened. i need 1-1/2" off each side and i want 5/8th studs put on as well. i love my old strange axles.

Then you can use trick aluminum lug nuts, MW nuts here. I had a set in titanum also.
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/16/10 02:32 AM

If the splines are long enough , you could probably lop 1 1/2 " off and run them.
I don't know how much spline you have engaged , but in most applications , it is under 2 " I think.
Cold cut them and stone the burr off and I think you'd be dookin in tall cotton.
The studs ???? not so much I think.
Drilling would be less of a problem than tapping.

Post deleted by Defbob - 03/16/10 05:15 AM

Posted By: LA360

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/16/10 06:11 AM

Moser axles are a Sportsman axle, made at a price. They're strong, but the two sets I had the machining quality left a little to be desired. The last set I ordered were Mark Williams Masterline axles. Slightly dearer than Moser's, but finished much better.

A race application, buy Mark Williams and have them cut the spline style you want. They will cut a spline to suit any spool. Strange 12 Bolt drop out centers used in Comp Eliminator, many racers are using MW axles with them

AL....
Posted By: moparmxz

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/16/10 12:09 PM

I bought some strange 35 spline and in six years one broke.I then bought a pair of mosers 12 years later they still look new.

Attached picture 5868356-IMG_0046.JPG

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/16/10 10:19 PM

from what i was told, strange wont cut their own axles and respline them.
i know this 1st hand. they said buy new axles.my vote is moser or mark williams, always seem to have drama over at strange for some reason or another.
Posted By: W5Duster436

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/16/10 11:48 PM

Quote:

I bought some strange 35 spline and in six years one broke.I then bought a pair of mosers 12 years later they still look new.

That Bunker Hill in the background?

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/17/10 06:44 AM

Any "race" axle that can be resplined is softer and heavier than it should be.

High end axles are machined BEFORE they are hardened. In other words, the splines stick out of an hour-glass shaped shaft, instead of being cut into an already hardened sraight shaft. The hour-glass design minimizes a stress riser where the axle splines and spool splines meet.

Neither Strange nor Mark Williams race axles can be resplined.
Posted By: mopar376d

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/17/10 09:33 AM

I agree with Randy.

I broke a strange in one car and twisted another in the Belvedere. Don't know the exact time they where ran but they where older.

Moser axles in both cars trouble free for the last 5 years or better.
Posted By: moparmxz

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/17/10 10:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That Bunker Hill in the background?

Yes thats at Bunker Hill,my favorite place to be in the summer time.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/17/10 11:41 AM

Twisted a lot of Strange axles in the past.We have run Mosers the last 5 years in most our cars with no problems.Service and delivery are second to none. (FYI)We are using most in 8 to 10 second bracket cars.

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/17/10 03:26 PM

I've seen every brand twist, including Moser.

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/17/10 03:38 PM

Quote:

Yup, even this 40 spline MW live axle. Twisting is better than the alternative.

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/17/10 03:52 PM

Quote:

Then what is the reason for using Strange specifically?Moser and other brands should be considered for application and cost.The same logic applies to why chose Strange over MW.No one's saying Strange is not a good axle,but for the cost,delivery and ease of ordering we find Moser easier to deal with.We bought a lot of Strange early on but over time we found that to order anything you best have every demension including your shoe size,and that didn't guarantee you got what you ordered.For everyday bracket cars Moser fits the budget next level would be Strange with MW being the ultimate choise for us.

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/17/10 11:41 PM

Retail cost is virtually the same between Moser 1541 axles and the lighter, higher grade Strange 4140 (cr-mo) shafts.

FWIW, I prefer Dutchman street/strip 1541 axles for cost, delivery and ease of ordering. For a race only axle, the value of the Strange product is hard to beat.

Here is a retail price comparison:

Dutchman 35 spline 1541 axles, bearings and 1/2" studs $370 pair

Moser 35 spline 1541 axles, bearings and 1/2" studs $445 pair

Strange 35 spline 4140 Pro Race axles, bearings and 1/2" studs $450 pair

Anyone who has a problem dealing with Strange Engineering can order their products through me .
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/18/10 01:51 AM

MOSER, MOSER, MOSER, MOSER,MOSER,MOSER.. PM theCLUTCHER.. I think he's pretty tight with them.. He is the rear end king.
Posted By: mopster

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/18/10 05:32 PM

Quote:

Is there a reason why I shouldn´t use Strange pro race axles in a street/strip car?

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/18/10 06:12 PM

Any thru-hardened Pro axle (Strange, Mark Williams, Summers Bros) is very hard in order to minimize twisting. Unfortunately, they are also brittle. Hitting bumps can cause the flanges to break off.

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/18/10 06:26 PM

Quote:

Any thru-hardened Pro axle (Strange, Mark Williams, Summers Bros) is very hard in order to minimize twisting. Unfortunately, they are also brittle. Hitting bumps can cause the flanges to break off.

With that being said,twisting,breaking,what is the advantage for the dollars spent?Is it just for the weight savings?My questions and concerns are in refrence to bracket cars and not high end ProMods,Pro Stock and like race cars.With out a sales pitch,what is the down side to Moser?I'am not trying to be argumentative and truely respect your knowledge and appreciate your past help,your a wealth of information when it comes to differentials.
Posted By: 8secDart

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/18/10 07:42 PM

I've got a lot of Moser 35 spline axles in high HP cars(1200-1500).All 3,400 - 3,800lbs cars.NEVER had a problem.If it's not broke why pay more!!!!If your building something with 2,500 Hp then yes buy the better stuff.
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/18/10 07:46 PM

My old Dragster had 35 spline Moser 8 3/4 stuff. It was pretty heavy for a dragster, and wasn't the slowest car at the track either...Typical 1.06-1.07 60ft at 2000+ lbs with driver.
So they can take a pretty hard launch....just plan old 1/2 studs too.
All the rear's I build get the Strange Pro Thru stuff cause its not much more than Moser, and supposedly a much better axle....who really knows?
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/18/10 07:56 PM

Personally never broken a Strange, have twisted them, but never broken one. Broken a few Mosers. Matter of fact, we broke a 35 spline one this year, in a drag radial car. Axles were about 1 year old. As Dr Diff says, for the difference in cost, 5 bucks, why would you not use a Strange.

Monte
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/18/10 08:14 PM

I had no idea what brand to buy, and bought Dutchman 35 spline axles from Dr Diff based on his recommendation, and have no regrets.

According to Dr Diff they're one of the few mfrs that can be trusted to make the axle the proper length for the OE style tapered bearings which I wanted to keep. I doubt anyone else on this part of the board cares about that though, so that's where my testimonial is going to end....

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/19/10 06:08 AM

B G,

I guess you could call this post a sales pitch, because I handle products I feel are the best value for the application.

Moser sells a good axle, ideal for street/strip cars in fact. Unless you are looking for potential contingency money, the Dutchman product costs less for virtually the same thing, with the same warranty, however.

In addition to being priced competitively with the cheaper/easier to produce Moser offerings, Strange Pro axles are fairly stronger and lighter.

If you are building a race car, why would you run a mild steel cage, stock material cranks, driveshafts and axles if cr-mo stuff is readily available for a few bucks more?

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/19/10 08:26 AM

Quote:

B G,

I guess you could call this post a sales pitch, because I handle products I feel are the best value for the application.

Moser sells a good axle, ideal for street/strip cars in fact. Unless you are looking for potential contingency money, the Dutchman product costs less for virtually the same thing, with the same warranty, however.

In addition to being priced competitively with the cheaper/easier to produce Moser offerings, Strange Pro axles are fairly stronger and lighter.

If you are building a race car, why would you run a mild steel cage, stock material cranks, driveshafts and axles if cr-mo stuff is readily available for a few bucks more?

Thanks for the explaination,your point well taken.Strange and others are a great product.it just seems a lot of people get frustrated when ordering from Strange since they don't seem to willing to give a lot off assistance in getting the measurements and the delivery is no very quick.Maybe like other manufactures it's better to deal with dealers like you that give the extra time and advise.Thanks again for all your past help.If I was dealing retail,I would buy from you.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Moser or Strange Race Axles? - 03/19/10 11:19 AM

Sounds like Strange & ICH went to the same customer satisfaction school!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums