Moparts

Fontanini and Nanini, NE1 remember?

Posted By: Steve1118

Fontanini and Nanini, NE1 remember? - 03/12/10 09:35 PM

While we're thinking about the old days, does anyone here remember the Fontanini and Nanini team out of the Chicago area? They were incredible fast in the 66-68 time period with their match race Mopars. If memory serves me right, they lost their lives in a fiery traffic accident on the Pennsylvania Turnpike while en route to a match race in the east somewhere. Does anyone here remember them?

Attached picture 5860846-AlFontanini.jpg
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Fontanini and Nanini, NE1 remember? - 03/12/10 10:28 PM

Just Googled him and he came up #99 on the Factory Super Stock list, but you already knew that didn't you?

http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/65plysuperstockowners.html
Posted By: smalltyredart67

Re: Fontanini and Nanini, NE1 remember? - 03/12/10 10:51 PM

I can't add much but the family owns a spice/giadiniera factory on the south side of chitcongo. I did some work(const.) there about 6 years ago and they had pics of the 65? car in one of the lobbies. they also had pics of the 65 dodge?(bad memory)that races, I think at rt. 66 regularly that has mcdonalds sponsership on the side. I don't know what the connection was there.

smalltyredart
jeff r
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Fontanini and Nanini, NE1 remember? - 03/12/10 11:46 PM

Yes,they were quite popular back then and If I recall correctly they were associated with Diamond Eng.to some degree.I recall from conversations with Jim Cavalieria years ago.
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: Fontanini and Nanini, NE1 remember? - 03/13/10 02:55 PM

Bob, it seems to me that they their fatal accident was at the New Stanton Interchange on the pike, when a gas tanker behind them slammed into the rig and the whole thing caught fire. Do you remember that incident?
Posted By: mikeg

Re: Fontanini and Nanini, NE1 remember? - 03/13/10 04:19 PM

Was fortunate to see them run a few times at
Minnesota Dragways

Attached picture 5862311-MNDragways-2.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums