Moparts

Reverend Mister Black

Posted By: StewartP

Reverend Mister Black - 03/12/10 01:06 PM

Does anyone remember or know anything about this 64 Plymouth Max Wedge car ? I believe it was in the Jacksonville, Florida area.

thanks
StewartP

Attached picture 5859998-100_1261.jpg
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 03/12/10 01:20 PM

I see after the name, a III possibly? I knew of a '63 MW that ran at Proctorville, Ohio in the '70's. It was same name. Possibly another in the line? Frito should chime in....he and I talked about the '63 awhile back.
Posted By: Frito

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 03/12/10 01:54 PM

Quote:

I see after the name, a III possibly? I knew of a '63 MW that ran at Proctorville, Ohio in the '70's. It was same name. Possibly another in the line? Frito should chime in....he and I talked about the '63 awhile back.

Thats the first thing I thought of also. I am checking it out later today. I do remember the car was a Max Wedge. I just can't remember the guys name, it was the 70's you know.
Posted By: dc426

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 03/12/10 02:02 PM

It was at the Garlit's show several years ago for sale. Wicked cool car. I saw it on the net for sale not too long ago.
DC

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 03/12/10 02:33 PM

Keep the info coming guys - please - and if there are any pictures, I would appreciate them

StewartP
Posted By: moprod

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 03/12/10 02:54 PM

Frito & Chapper, the one you are thinking of was probably Stan Byrd He ran a lot in that area.
Mainly A/FX cars. His son said he had Revrend Mr Black car, not sure if it is this one because he was from Ohio & Mt Sterling, KY.
I have some history of his car but not this.
Posted By: Blues_Cuda

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 03/12/10 05:32 PM

I've got some more pictures of it somewhere.

I'm not sure who to credit on this picture.

Attached picture 5860461-64Plymouth-ReverendBlack.jpg

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 03/13/10 01:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Thats the first thing I thought of also. I am checking it out later today. I do remember the car was a Max Wedge. I just can't remember the guys name, it was the 70's you know.

Frito,, Corky/Kirkey Jackson as driver,,, bells ringing yet??
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 03/13/10 01:34 AM

When it was at the Garlits show, a friend told me he saw it run at the local back in the '60s and early '70s, many which are no longer around. He also seemed to recall he saw it run at Daytona.
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 03/13/10 01:45 AM

To eliminate any confusion, that is Daytona when NASCAR ran a few drag races there.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 03/13/10 02:24 AM

i believe the 1st rev, mr. black car was a 63 plymouth max wedge sedan.

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 03/13/10 03:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

YEP, I found out today the car in this area was owned by Bill Brisco and driven by Kirky Jackson. The car less engine is supposed to be in the Huntington area with Brisco's daughter. I should be able to follow up next week. I do not think this is the same car Stewart has the pics of but it may still be an interesting find.

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 03/13/10 03:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

YEP, I found out today the car in this area was owned by Bill Brisco and driven by Kirky Jackson. The car less engine is supposed to be in the Huntington area with Brisco's daughter. I should be able to follow up next week. I do not think this is the same car Stewart has the pics of but it may still be an interesting find.

i believe Brisco's daughter is trying to sell it but is asking crazy money for it.like an unrealistic amount. my buddy was trying to negoitiate it for me but the number was out of control. its a real max wedge car.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 03/13/10 09:50 AM

It used to run at Gainesville in the late 70's-early 80's and the Olin Brothers of Starke owned it then.

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 03/13/10 12:22 PM

Quote:

i believe the 1st rev, mr. black car was a 63 plymouth max wedge sedan.

100% correct...at least the first one I ever saw with that name was a '63 MW sedan. I had a '62 MW clone back in '68-'73. Kirkey took me on a TT pass one day to show me how mine should run as we were still sorting ours out. At that time sub-frame connectors were not thought of yet...I could feel the floor twist under my feet when we launched! Gotta' love the 'old days'!!

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 03/13/10 12:39 PM

i really wanted the Rev Mr. Black #1 sedan.
i was so close to getting it. got alot of information about it but the girl was so hard headed, the deal just couldnt be made. it needed a bunch of work, think it had a 383 motor in it since the max wedge motor was pulled out due to the max wedge going too fast for the son.
Posted By: tpahemi

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 03/13/10 01:47 PM

I remember the 1963 reverent mr black at Golden Triangle and Tampa Dragway in 63-64, was from Jax area.

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 03/13/10 06:17 PM

TPAHEMI - I have those same memories of Tampa Dragway and Golden Triangle - Val LaPorte, Bob Tucker, Hank McAlean, Scotty, Nelson Brothers etd. Tampa is my home also.

Do have any pictures of those places and that era?

StewartP
Posted By: cmansell

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 03/14/10 06:51 PM

this car pictured was in north Georgia in the late 80's owned by a man who owned several convience stores around the atl area. I was parked next to it a small show at Bob Williams Dodge. I've not seen it again here so it probably was sold shortly after that.
Posted By: B_Body_Bob

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 03/15/10 09:43 PM

Quote:

The car less engine is supposed to be in the Huntington area with Brisco's daughter.

I live in Huntington, so I'm interested hearing more about the find if it's really here.

I grew up near the "Guyandotte Shaker", if you raced/watched at Proctorville, you probably remember that one too.

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 03/15/10 10:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The car less engine is supposed to be in the Huntington area with Brisco's daughter.

I live in Huntington, so I'm interested hearing more about the find if it's really here.

I grew up near the "Guyandotte Shaker", if you raced/watched at Proctorville, you probably remember that one too.

OMG, 1ST post in 2 years.

Attached picture 5867230-freshmeat.gif

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 03/15/10 11:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Don't remember the 'shaker'....pics?

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 03/15/10 11:41 PM

I sold a Max Wedge Super Stock Dodge to Donald Stepp . He painted it blue and lettered it Guyandotte Gorilla. Same Guy/car? B Body Bob, e mail or shot me a PM. An aluminum front end is also somewhere in Huntington!!

Attached picture 5867413-avatar1(2).jpg

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 03/16/10 12:32 PM

That's the car - or at least it was Donald Stepp that owned the Guyandotte Shaker. It had Guyandotte spelled wrong on one side After the track closed it sat for a long time out on an open trailer beside the road.

No pictures, I was just a kid at the time. The track closed before I got my driver's license.

The people around here that I've talked to aren't saying anything about there being any factory race cars/parts left around here. It's been a while since I've made contact though.
Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 02/04/11 07:23 PM

Quote:

It used to run at Gainesville in the late 70's-early 80's and the Olin Brothers of Starke owned it then.

Old post, but I thought this was a neat connection

Attached picture 6456693-1963MWSavoyproject.jpg
Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 02/04/11 07:32 PM

Try again...

Attached picture 6456711-1963MWSavoyproject.jpg
Posted By: chris3

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 02/04/11 08:09 PM

Stewart,

The same car was at Beaver Springs last year. I will have a couple of pictures of it tonight. When I get home I will forward them to you. I understand there is a car number or ID on the windshield a Beaver Springs.

Hope you are doing well.
Posted By: 64Post

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 02/04/11 08:38 PM

I remember the car being for sale on Heminet about 10 years ago for $75K.

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 02/05/11 12:44 AM

Posted By: chris3

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 02/07/11 02:58 PM

Stewart, I posted the question over on class racer website and according to a post there, the car is owned by George Edwards of Moscow, Pa. There are some really good pictures of it over on that site.
Posted By: 64HemiSavoy

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 02/08/11 11:57 AM

Quote:

Try again...

What is the story on this car?
Posted By: cappy455

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 06/13/12 02:42 AM

I stumbled across your post and I'm here to tell you that when I was in the 10th grade me and a friend would hitch hike to Fenandina Florida every once and a while to the buccaneer drag strip.It was only about 60 miles from Brunswick Ga where we lived. We didn't get to go there very often but we both loved drag racing.One particular Sunday after we caught rides in about 4 different cars we were in Fernandina. We then caught a ride with a man who lived in fernandina and as luck would have it he was going to the drag strip. We were talking about the drags when he told us that a 1962 black plymouth was going to be there and that it had never been cut. I could not picture a bad plymouth because all I had ever seen that were bad were the 421 pontiacs the 406 fords and the 409 chevys. When we arrived it was the first time I'd ever seen a 413 plymouth. It was a cheap bodied 1962 plymouth automatic. When it made a pass down the strip I heard people calling him the reverend mr Black from Jacksonville. The best I remember he was turning high 13s. That same day there was a 409 biscayne from cocoa beach driven by a man named pat patterson. It was also a cheap bodied car but it was pulled behind a gold 409 Impala. Both cars were running bucrons and on the first run the mopar barely won. Pat Patterson borrowed a set of cheater slicks from another competitor and they staged for a second run. The crowd was going crazy . When they launched people were running out on the strip as they went by trying to get a good view of the winner. This time it was the 409 who edged the plymouth out.I will never forget that day.Those were the days my friend.It was all so good but we took it all for granted.The last time I went back to Fernandina I tried to find that old drag strip. I found it but it is an airport now.
Posted By: Ray440

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 06/13/12 04:35 AM

Here are a few pics of the car I took last year at Lebanon Valley.

Attached picture 7248157-Mr.Black1.jpg

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 06/13/12 04:36 AM

front view

Attached picture 7248158-MrBlack2.jpg

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 06/13/12 04:37 AM

rear view

Attached picture 7248160-MrBlack3.jpg

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 06/13/12 04:39 AM

show sign.

Attached picture 7248163-MrBlack4.jpg
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 06/13/12 01:18 PM

Car was owned by Jess Jordon in the early nineties. He also owned the Golden Commando 63 Plymouth at the same time and a red hemi either 64 or 65 that also had some racing heritage.

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 06/13/12 01:20 PM

Sweet car, even better that it's still in use.
Posted By: cappy455

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 06/13/12 10:33 PM

Yeh, I've never seen the 64 car but someone on here said he also had a 63 so I'm thinking that the 62 that I saw was most likely the first reverend mr black car. It had no writing on it but Fernandina was only about 20 miles from Jacksonville and a lot of the people at the strip were calling him the reverend mr black. I saw a few good match races at that dragstrip. There was also a drag strip in Jacksonville called thunderbolt raceway. We went there one Sunday to watch a match race between Ronnie Sox in his 65 awb plymouth against Phil Bonner's 65 falcon. It would have been a good one but Ronnie broke something on his first pass. I think it was the transmission. Bonner ran against a couple of local cars so he would get paid I guess. Naturally he was totally out of their league. I remember that he turned 9.50 at 140 mph.
Posted By: Kevins493

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 06/13/12 11:09 PM

See it at Beaver every year. Thought it was up in the PA area now? Can't remember what it ran but I want to say low 11s/high 10s.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 06/14/12 02:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Try again...

What is the story on this car?

This car is a real 63 Max Wedge car.It was raced as a bracket car at Gainesville Raceway in the 70's thru the early 80's.Bud Spears owned this car.He later ran a Hemi Challenger that won the '80 Gatornats in Super Stock.
Posted By: GaryC

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 01/06/20 12:25 AM

My uncle is Donald Stepp and he did indeed own the Guyandotte Shaker that had incorrect spelling on one side. He paid a lot of money for the paint job as I remember. I was just a young boy and I was his water boy whenever he raced at riverside in Proctorville OH. I remember that he was very adamant that you didn't lean on the aluminum fenders. He would get very mad if anyone would touch the front end.
Posted By: Bob Stinson

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 01/06/20 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by GaryC
My uncle is Donald Stepp and he did indeed own the Guyandotte Shaker that had incorrect spelling on one side. He paid a lot of money for the paint job as I remember. I was just a young boy and I was his water boy whenever he raced at riverside in Proctorville OH. I remember that he was very adamant that you didn't lean on the aluminum fenders. He would get very mad if anyone would touch the front end.

I changed my login name, but that is my post you replied to. I lived on the front side of the hill on Bellevue, next to Bill Carter if you remember the area. I remember one of the younger Stepps cut off some fingers with a table saw when we were kids. IIRC they sewed them back on and it was the first time anyone had heard of that.

Your uncle had us all scared to death. Nobody would go near that car. I'd love to know what ever happened to it.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Reverend Mister Black - 01/06/20 08:44 PM

Carlisle 7/2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e12-lFlDZg

Attached picture 7.15.13 126.jpg
Attached picture 7.15.13 127.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums