Moparts

chrome fiberglass bumper?

Posted By: slick526

chrome fiberglass bumper? - 02/09/10 06:05 AM

Does anyone know who can chrome (plastic chrome, chrome paint, etc...) a fiberglass bumper. It's pretty wide (63 dodge 440)?
Posted By: rebel

Re: chrome fiberglass bumper? - 02/09/10 09:23 AM

go talk to an electroplater. i've seen a glass bumper chromed before. was told i gets a special conductive coating on it before they chrome plate it. the costs scared me away plus the fact the chrome plating added weight which i didn't want. i just painted mine.
Posted By: KMPX2

Re: chrome fiberglass bumper? - 02/09/10 01:42 PM

Chrome paint is used on custom Harleys. Check out your local custom bike shop, they can point you to someone
Posted By: 64ssmax

Re: chrome fiberglass bumper? - 02/09/10 01:43 PM

http://www.snschrome.com/photo.html

check out the link above. cool chit!
Posted By: topbrent

Re: chrome fiberglass bumper? - 02/09/10 01:47 PM

3 threads on the topic:

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...&PHPSESSID=

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...&PHPSESSID=

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post4989361

572's bumper
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: chrome fiberglass bumper? - 02/09/10 01:50 PM

Quote:

From what I understand, Mark at SNS isn't doing it anymore.......Between the cost of the materials getting so high and the product having issues 6 months to a year after it's applied, he's given up, AFTER spending a fortune trying to figure it out........

Wayne
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: chrome fiberglass bumper? - 02/09/10 02:24 PM

I got a quote from a guy in Eastern Pa of $800-1,000 for two bumpers,way to expensive for me.
Posted By: 1974 474 Duster

Re: chrome fiberglass bumper? - 02/09/10 04:20 PM

There is going to be a new place opened in my area. Well shouldnt say new, just the system for plating is new. He is a long time Mopar racer and just works out of his garage, but now has the system. I will keep things going as he gets the system up and running. My bumpers will be there soon and I will post pics and information for him. We are about 35 min. from downtown Pittsburgh. Thanks, Ken

Attached picture 5793068-09Norwalk.jpg
Posted By: DusterDog

Re: chrome fiberglass bumper? - 02/09/10 11:34 PM

Hey Ken,

Let me know about that. I'm looking to get the front fiberglass bumper for my 1970 Duster done.

Dog
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: chrome fiberglass bumper? - 02/09/10 11:49 PM

FWIW What about the guys that re chrome plastic dash clusters

From what I understand they use some sort of foil and vacuume form it over the cluster. Supposed to last longer than chroming the plastic. I don't know if it's feasable, cost effective or if you would have a seam or two. May be worth a few phone calls
Posted By: cudadon

Re: chrome fiberglass bumper? - 02/10/10 12:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

From what I understand, Mark at SNS isn't doing it anymore.......Between the cost of the materials getting so high and the product having issues 6 months to a year after it's applied, he's given up, AFTER spending a fortune trying to figure it out........

Wayne

Thats too bad! I'm sad to hear that Wayne.
My bumper that you/mark did still looks very good, just some wear and tear from being on a racecar. Don

Attached picture 5793888-DSC00073a.JPG
Posted By: dOc !

Re: chrome fiberglass bumper? - 02/10/10 12:42 AM

Quote:

I got a quote from a guy in Eastern Pa of $800-1,000 for two bumpers,way to expensive for me.

1k$ for 2 bumpers ? ...100% rip-off.

It has been a while since I dealt with the "chrome" plater that I used ... but I could RETAIL having an average bumper done for 125$ each.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: chrome fiberglass bumper? - 02/10/10 02:44 AM

Quote:

Does anyone know who can chrome (plastic chrome, chrome paint, etc...) a fiberglass bumper. It's pretty wide (63 dodge 440)?

To answer your question... no. I have exhausted all means, and still can't find anyone with the experience and confidence to do it. If something has changed i would love to be wrong. For now I just painted mine body color.
Posted By: fbs63

Re: chrome fiberglass bumper? - 02/10/10 04:48 AM

There is a shop called XXX Chrome in Brookfield,Wis. that plates them. I think their main business is bikes. A local chassis guy has a Nova with a set they did and you cant tell they are not steel unless you touch them.
Bob

Attached picture 5794504-Carpic3.jpg
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: chrome fiberglass bumper? - 02/10/10 05:02 AM

Painted mine Mercedes silver,they look alright Someday I will rechrome my original bumpers.
Posted By: greendart408

Re: chrome fiberglass bumper? - 02/10/10 05:08 AM

I painted mine Alsa (Ghost Chrome)
Posted By: HEMI472

Re: chrome fiberglass bumper? - 02/10/10 07:02 AM

xxx crome did mine 2 times and they still look like crap. i would not let them do anything for me. the guy that worked on mine was kevin and he just took my money
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: chrome fiberglass bumper? - 02/10/10 06:41 PM

ive mentioned this before..
but ...
i invested alot of money and 2+yrs trying to get a system to do chrome plated fiberglass bumpers

most processes silver plate it..
then either clear over that...(not a true chrome look)
or..
use the silver plate as a conductor..and then do a traditional copper nickel chrome..
however most chrome tanks are high in acid content to keep metal contaminants down..
if you put a fiberglass part in this acid tank.
eventually it will break down the fiberglass and the bumper will start to disintigrate..a few yrs after you get it back..

you need dedicated vats that are for fiberglass parts..with a differnt acidic medium in the tank..
so it doesnt eat the part..
but i digress....

by the way the vacume deal...mention'd above..
isnt what you think..its not a film vacuumed over teh part...
its a electrolisis proceedure that puts the parts in a chamber that is put at -65 vacume..
then an annode and cathode process ..pulls aluminum molecules from an aluminum ingot..
and its transferd to the plastic part..
comes out aluminum plated...
most dash parts (toys,,model parts) are done this way...
fwiw
cheaspt
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: chrome fiberglass bumper? - 02/10/10 06:59 PM

Quote:

its a electrolisis proceedure that puts the parts in a chamber that is put at -65 vacume..
then an annode and cathode process ..pulls aluminum molecules from an aluminum ingot..
fwiw
cheaspt

Thanks for clarification on that cheapst
Is that a process that may have some merit? You seem to have quite a bit knowledge in this stuff

By the way, sorry the chrome deal didn't work out for you but it sounds like you gave it your best
Posted By: 408strokerdart

Re: chrome fiberglass bumper? - 02/10/10 07:55 PM

Quote:

ive mentioned this before..
but ...
i invested alot of money and 2+yrs trying to get a system to do chrome plated fiberglass bumpers

most processes silver plate it..
then either clear over that...(not a true chrome look)
or..
use the silver plate as a conductor..and then do a traditional copper nickel chrome..
however most chrome tanks are high in acid content to keep metal contaminants down..
if you put a fiberglass part in this acid tank.
eventually it will break down the fiberglass and the bumper will start to disintigrate..a few yrs after you get it back..

you need dedicated vats that are for fiberglass parts..with a differnt acidic medium in the tank..
so it doesnt eat the part..
but i digress....

fwiw
cheaspt

From what little I know about the vaccum process, it is hard to fins someone that has a vacuum chamber large enough to do a bumper.

Re: chrome fiberglass bumper? - 02/10/10 08:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wayne

Thats too bad! I'm sad to hear that Wayne.
My bumper that you/mark did still looks very good, just some wear and tear from being on a racecar. Don

Yeah, I lost enough moolah in that stuff to have bought a REALLY nice house..........AND finished my race car by now.......

I'm glad your bumper still looks good.......We worked out butts off trying to get is as good as possible.......

BTW......XXX plating uses CosmiChrome, which is what we used........

Wayne

Re: chrome fiberglass bumper? - 02/10/10 10:33 PM

The system that Lee bought is like paint for the most part. The product is finished to 1000 grit paper, the the process is started. The actual film of silver is literally a millionith of an inch thick. You end up basiclly clearing that and wow what a shine. Its a really wild system, much more involved but thats the skinnie. Like I said the whole deal is pricey overall thats why some are charging sop much, $10,000 total. Like I said when he is up and totally running I will make a new post with contact info and such. Thanks, Ken

Attached picture 5795797-09Norwalk.jpg
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: chrome fiberglass bumper? - 02/11/10 12:38 AM

the system i started with was spectra chrome.
its the silver plating mention'd in most of the posts..

i think using the silver and then doing copper plating in liquid tanks is the best way to get a real durable surface.
you just need to dedicate the tanks for plastics.
the other issue is Hexabolic Chrome is on the hit list of the EPA. so if you arent a chrome shop now..chances of getting approval to use this stuff..will be near impossible...
lots of chrome shops have moved south of the boarder. to avoid the green police.

the vacume aluminum would im my opinion need a polyurethane or catalized clear to make it durable..
go to any walmart and look at the platic peddle cars with a chrome bumper or fake chrome engine sticking out the hood..or the chrome harley chopper tot..toy....
that shiney stuff on it is ..vacumme aluminium..
if you took a pocket knife against it...it will scratch off...heck if you rubb on it long enough it will come off..
but a good clear over it should make it last longer...
again fwiw..
cheapst..

Re: chrome fiberglass bumper? - 02/11/10 03:33 AM

Quote:

The system that Lee bought is like paint for the most part. The product is finished to 1000 grit paper, the the process is started. The actual film of silver is literally a millionith of an inch thick. You end up basiclly clearing that and wow what a shine. Its a really wild system, much more involved but thats the skinnie. Like I said the whole deal is pricey overall thats why some are charging sop much, $10,000 total. Like I said when he is up and totally running I will make a new post with contact info and such. Thanks, Ken

Sounds like the same stuff as CosmiChrome.......Tell him that the most important part of any business plan is an escape plan, which boils down to having a dollar number set to where when you hit it, you'll stop spending and throw in the towel.......
Posted By: slick526

Re: chrome fiberglass bumper? - 02/11/10 05:17 PM

Hey 1974 Duster! Thanks for the info, hopefully somebody will get something going on chrome fiberglass. Keep us posted.

Re: chrome fiberglass bumper? - 02/11/10 07:02 PM

No problem guys. I will keep up on things, I know he already has some parts for family members to do A.S.A.P. As soon as they are done I will post pics of them. This is his sideline not his main business, so it should work out well for him. He's been doing these type of things independently for many years than I can remember. Great racer and an even better person!! See ya, Ken

Attached picture 5797550-MVC-005S.JPG
Posted By: DusterDog

Re: chrome fiberglass bumper? - 02/11/10 11:00 PM

Hey Ken,

That Demon in the back ground looks familiar, maybe from McKees Rocks???

Please keep me posted about the chrome stuff.

Dog
Posted By: DavidDean

Re: chrome fiberglass bumper? - 02/11/10 11:08 PM

A keeper post.I might try the ALCLAD.Thanks

Attached picture 5798021-103109%20325.jpg
Posted By: BloFish

Re: chrome fiberglass bumper? - 02/12/10 02:35 AM

For the people who claim to have had theirs done, a picture sure would be nice
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: chrome fiberglass bumper? - 02/12/10 03:00 AM

Why couldnt they just wrap it? I have seen some cheap chrome vinyl. Seems they could vacuum cover it like they do the dashes etc?
I just ordered a bunch of fiberglass from Sled City, and thought about trying to find someone to chrome the bumpers..
But I will probably just do the Mercedes silver..Im thinking the car will drag the paint off the rear anyways.

Re: chrome fiberglass bumper? - 02/12/10 02:26 PM

I will kepp everyone up on the chroming process and such. I know he was in the process of getting a new building done so he would have more room to work and such. Oh ya the Demon is Dereks, we built that one together. Its now just a shell of its former self, hahaha!!! The motor is now in my 71 Duster pictured. See ya, Ken

Attached picture 5799040-MVC-025S.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums