Moparts

New piston question???

Posted By: '72CudaRacer

New piston question??? - 02/09/10 01:52 AM

I have a new set of Ross dome pistons .030 440.
They have a "ridge" between the valve reliefs. I hope you cansee it in this picture.
Q: Do I need to remove this ridge? What about the other "sharp" edges on the dome and around the plug relief? Should they be masseged or run as is?
I just realized that in 20 some years of racing, this is the FIRST set of NEW pistons that I'VE ever had! Always bought someone else's hand-me-downs.

Attached picture 5792154-Pistons010.JPG

Re: New piston question??? - 02/09/10 01:54 AM

Another angle

Attached picture 5792163-Pistons012.JPG
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: New piston question??? - 02/09/10 01:58 AM

Quote:

I have a new set of Ross dome pistons .030 440.
They have a "ridge" between the valve reliefs. I hope you cansee it in this picture.
Q: Do I need to remove this ridge? What about the other "sharp" edges on the dome and around the plug relief? Should they be masseged or run as is?
I just realized that in 20 some years of racing, this is the FIRST set of NEW pistons that I'VE ever had! Always bought someone else's hand-me-downs.

I try not to run any sharp angles in the comustion chamber, take the sharp edge off with a small knife, don't take a bunch off, just round the edge off so it won't cut you or feel sharp
Posted By: 9secondsatellite

Re: New piston question??? - 02/09/10 02:10 AM

they haven't been balanced yet i take it. are you going to coat them? i would round out the edges but nothing radical. don't need to remove the ridge but just smooth it with some very fine stuff.

Re: New piston question??? - 02/09/10 02:14 AM

I try not to run any sharp angles in the comustion chamber, take the sharp edge off with a small knife, don't take a bunch off, just round the edge off so it won't cut you or feel sharp

I was thinking That I'd use very fine sand paper to just "knock off" the edge. Any thoughts about that?

Re: New piston question??? - 02/09/10 02:17 AM

Quote:

they haven't been balanced yet i take it. are you going to coat them? i would round out the edges but nothing radical. don't need to remove the ridge but just smooth it with some very fine stuff.

No, not balanced yet. Planing to do that sat. Coat them with what?
Posted By: 9secondsatellite

Re: New piston question??? - 02/09/10 02:30 AM

heat barrier coating is what i was refering to. probably not necessary.
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: New piston question??? - 02/09/10 02:32 AM

Yep
Nock the sharp edges down how ever you can.

Re: New piston question??? - 02/09/10 02:42 AM

Thats what I was thinking, but wanted to make sure. What about the edges of the piston crown. (if it was a flat top, the top edge)? Leave it alone, or smooth it also?
Thanks guys, Brian
Posted By: kruger

Re: New piston question??? - 02/09/10 03:52 AM

Quote:

i would round out the edges but nothing radical. don't need to remove the ridge but just smooth it with some very fine stuff.

I have those same pistons.Just take a dremmel with a fine roll and just radius the sharp edges around the dome.Then polish them up.

As stated above,nothing radical.Just imagine making a sharp right turn at a lite.

Attached picture 5792424-RossDome.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums