Moparts

Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge

Posted By: dannysbee

Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 02/04/10 07:25 PM

Anyone have any pictures of the Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge car? I would really like a picture of the interior and exterior. I have found several pictures of the 65 altered wheel base car but none of the 62 or 63 Max Wedge cars. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 02/05/10 02:59 PM

It was a Black Savoy. Texas car but from what I understand they were fairly successful in the early years. Does Joe Smith or any of his crew ever come on here? I am pretty sure he would have some pictures or know the information I am looking for. Tia
Posted By: Tommy D

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 02/05/10 03:16 PM

Here you go. This is one of my favorites. Tom

Attached File
5784141-FennerTubbs.doc  (1178 downloads)

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 02/05/10 03:17 PM

The last car is actually a '65. I do not have the '63. Here's the AWB though...

Attached File
5784145-FennerTubbsAWB.doc  (578 downloads)
Posted By: DavidDean

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 02/05/10 03:25 PM

Joe Smith still builds race cars in the DFW area.He receintly lost his son who raced mopars in the DFW area.I know there are members of this site who are close friends of Joe.I'm friends of his brother who lives here and is trying to get a car together.I remember is black sayoy and other cars he raced( I thought they were Hemis) who were sponsered by Fenner Tubbs Chrysler Plymouth in Lubbock.Your making me feel old.

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 02/05/10 03:36 PM

I have friend Named Tom Adams that lives in Abernathy that told me a lot about the Fenner Tubbs cars. I also talked to Joe one day a few years ago. The information that Joe told me was that they started out with a 62 Maxy but it was not black, but every car after that was black. Of coarse they progressed to a 63 car when they came available. What I am looking for is the interior color of the 63 as I would like to build a Pure Stock tribute to that car. Just the way they would have received it from Mopar.
Posted By: DavidDean

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 02/05/10 05:02 PM

Tell Tom hi,You might try contacting Joe direct. I'm not sure this is a valaid number but try 972 484 2855
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 02/06/10 03:23 PM

I have several photo's of the 65 car but nothing earlier. This was always a first class organization. Most everthing on the car was either black or chrome. The Fenner Tubbs dealership was Plymouth only. The back of the big Dodge truck that carried the car said "Heavy Duty Plymouth". Don't know all the details but after the altered wheel base days he went to work for Don Grotheer as his mechanic. I guess after that is when he started he shop in Texas. Terrible news about his son, what happened? Joe is one of the good guys.
Bill

Attached picture 5786074-FennerTubbs1.jpg
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 02/06/10 04:54 PM

Some pics of the 65

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 02/06/10 04:55 PM

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 02/06/10 04:55 PM

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 02/06/10 07:09 PM

Thanks to all that have responded. I will contact Joe and see if he remembers or has pictures of the car.

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 02/07/10 01:02 AM

Please post anything you find.
Thanks,
Bill
Posted By: m. mull

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 02/12/10 05:42 AM

I don't have any pictures but a lot of momories of the '62 and '63 season at Amarillo Dragway and the Fenner Tubbs car racing the Dickie Harrell cars.

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 02/12/10 06:11 AM

I know the 63 was black, do you remember what color the interior was?

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 02/12/10 12:31 PM

I wonder if this one was once a F-T car. The city is the same, and it looks to be highly modified much like the F-T cars.

Attached File
5798919-JoeSmithAWB.doc  (437 downloads)

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 02/12/10 06:34 PM

Tommy Joe Smith was the driver/mechanic on the Fenner Tubbs Cars and went onto be a world class SS and Stock chassis builder. "Joe Smith Race Cars". If you go to the NHRA web site and look at the results for 1965 you will see Joe won the finals that year in his class.

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 02/13/10 12:08 PM

I thought they looked similar, and the Lubbock, TX address gives it away. I was always a fan of the FT car(s). Black B bodies are like beautiful wimmen (I know it's spelled wrong). You just can't stop looking at them.
Posted By: akaTexan

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 12/23/11 06:35 PM

I have a few pictures of the 63. My Dad, Joe's older brother drove it before going to Top Fuel. Also have a few of the 62, the yellow car that my Dad jerry Smith drove.

Attached picture 6980857-7133_157640003445_653658445_2663280_3177060_n.jpg

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 12/23/11 06:45 PM

It was a Belvedere. Here all this time I thought it was a Savoy. Do you have any pictures of the interior? Thank you very much Randy.
Posted By: maxroy

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 12/24/11 03:31 AM

I am not sure about the '63, but the interior of the '64's and the '65 super stocker was red. Red dash with radio and heater delete option. Red driver's seat only. Red carpet covered the firewall, floor, and rear wall that separates the trunk area from the interior. Package tray was red,too, if I recollect correctly. Red door panels. Seems like the roll bar was chrome. I rode in the car many times as it came down the return road at a couple of the dragstrips. My dad, Bert, was a mechanic for Fenner Tubbs and did all the transmission and rear axle work on those cars. He worked there with Joe and Jerry Smith.

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 12/24/11 03:59 AM

Thanks Maxroy, the 63 may have been red too as you would have to get a Belvedere or Fury to get the red interior. The Savoy was not available with red in 1963.

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 12/24/11 03:48 PM

Quote:

It was a Belvedere. Here all this time I thought it was a Savoy. Do you have any pictures of the interior? Thank you very much Randy.

Where there Belvedere sedans? This looks like a post car. It would be just like them to add the Belvedere trim. Its hard to read but the name on the fender looks more like Savoy than Belvedere.

One thing I always liked was since Fenner Tubbs was a Plymouth dealer (not Dodge) the ramp trucks were always a "Heavy Duty Plymouth". I don't think Fenner himself came to the races that much, but when he did there was always a new Imperial running in the pits with the AC on in case he needed to cool down.

I don't think anyone has mentioned that Joe was Don Grotheer's mechanic during the Clinic days.

Bill

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 12/24/11 04:25 PM

Yes there were Belvedere sedans. The fender script says Plymouth unless it is a Fury. It also has the Belvedere trim on the roof sail panel. Sure would love to see a picture of the interior. I spent an afternoon with Joe bench racing and he never mentioned that about being Don Grotheers mechanic. He is modest about what he accomplished.
Posted By: Madness

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 12/25/11 10:54 PM

Recently ran into Joe Smith again at a 60's Drag racer Reunion in Odessa, Texas.

Attached picture 6984271-JoeSmith2.jpg
Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 12/26/11 06:26 AM

Quote:

Yes there were Belvedere sedans. The fender script says Plymouth unless it is a Fury. It also has the Belvedere trim on the roof sail panel. Sure would love to see a picture of the interior. I spent an afternoon with Joe bench racing and he never mentioned that about being Don Grotheers mechanic. He is modest about what he accomplished.

Danny, actually the Plymouth script was only used on the Savoys. That car should have Belvedere script emblems, although, it sure looks like it says Plymouth...

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 12/26/11 03:00 PM

I could not remember Belvedere script but that don't mean they didn't. I have only owned Savoy's and Fury's. I knew the Savoys were Plymouth and the Fury's said Fury. The Fenner Tubbs car definitely looks to say Plymouth. Without a interior picture or someone remembering what it was, might be a tough call which it was.
Posted By: 69hurstsc

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 01/06/13 05:49 PM

Awesome info on the 64! Do you know if they ran a 64 Max Wedge Aluminum nose car that would fit that description? Also, do you know what dealership there cars were delivered to?

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 01/06/13 06:37 PM

Would have been Fenner Tubbs Chrysler Plymouth I believe.

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 01/07/13 01:55 AM

Not a 63 but, thought this would be good place to drop this off

Attached picture 7535998-fennertubbs65.jpg

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 01/07/13 01:57 AM

and this as well

Attached picture 7536004-fennertubbs64.jpg
Posted By: WH23H6

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 01/07/13 04:14 AM

Quote:

and this as well

Dos Joe Smith come on here? Just curious...would love to chat with him about a car he built... all good things! Car is awsume !

Attached picture 7536218-GrandbendSat.Jun.11-2011.jpg

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 01/07/13 04:23 AM

I have never seen anything from Joe on here. Joe builds a top.notch car in my opinion. Super nice guy to talk to.

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 01/07/13 04:29 AM

Quote:

I have never seen anything from Joe on here. Joe builds a top.notch car in my opinion. Super nice guy to talk to.

He must do omething pretty special because the guy who certifies our cars up here knew Joe built it after 10 miuntes of looking at it! And Im in Canada!

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 01/07/13 04:53 AM

I delivered a 1962 Plymouth to Vancouver island a few years ago that was done by Joe.

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 01/07/13 04:56 AM

Quote:

I delivered a 1962 Plymouth to Vancouver island a few years ago that was done by Joe.

This Car was one of Jim Hales's cars...ended being Jack Werst's car...awsume car... I think it would hook in the rain!

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 01/07/13 05:02 AM

Joe did a bunch of work on my 64, it was all awesome .

He can't hear very well any longer, he is 71 I think ?

No, its really doubtful he even knows how to turn on a computer, a Tig torch ? yes !

(Joes current car, don't think he takes it out anymore since Jr. died )

Posted By: mopartoby

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 01/07/13 05:04 AM

Hahaha ahhhhh yes RAZZ. Hows things danny?

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 01/07/13 05:10 AM

Quote:

Joe did a bunch of work on my 64, it was all awesome .

He can't hear very well any longer, he is 71 I think ?

No, its really doubtful he even knows how to turn on a computer, a Tig torch ? yes !

(Joes current car, don't think he takes it out anymore since Jr. died )

I can tell you his welding is pure art! What about Jum Hale...does he come on Moparts?

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 01/07/13 05:10 AM

Hanging in there Toby. How about you?

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 01/07/13 05:17 AM

Quote:

I can tell you his welding is pure art! What about Jum Hale...does he come on Moparts?

Not that I am aware of

The 62, Razz ..was owned by Don Bouware (spelling? ) in DFW

I thought Joe built that car for him ?

It is a nice piece , seen it go rounds many times
Posted By: mopartoby

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 01/07/13 05:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

This Car was one of Jim Hales's cars...ended being Jack Werst's car...awsume car... I think it would hook in the rain!

Yes it stuck very well in the rain/ hail. I drove it a few times and the first time i drove it , it was sunny and dry at the start of the track and raining and hailing at the far end. It was a super neat car! Dont want to high jack your post danny so i'll pm you and fill you in on my latest project

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 08/19/14 03:23 PM

Re: Fenner Tubbs 63 Plymouth Max Wedge - 08/19/14 03:26 PM

© 2024 Moparts Forums