Moparts

W2, W5 Rocker options

Posted By: Overdrive440

W2, W5 Rocker options - 01/30/10 06:42 PM

I have a set of bare W5's and am wondering what my current options are for rocker gear. I would like a durable setup, as I'm building the engine for street use and auto-x, with once or twice per year drag racing thrown in for fun.
Posted By: greendart408

Re: W2, W5 Rocker options - 01/30/10 07:18 PM

I run harland sharpe on my w5 motor. Simple and work great
Posted By: SB449VALIANT

Re: W2, W5 Rocker options - 01/30/10 07:24 PM

on my w5's i was using the erson rockers, good luck finding a set! t/d is a very good option, jesel too but at a higher price.. im using t/d on my indys....
Posted By: lenweiler

Re: W2, W5 Rocker options - 01/30/10 07:42 PM

Erson's would be my choice. I've had them and HS's. Ersons'simply have more material at the arch adjacent the spring, as a result of a smaller shaft. But they may be impossible to find. T&D would be my choice if big pressures are expected.

Re: W2, W5 Rocker options - 01/30/10 08:21 PM

I guess I should have bought a set of Ersons two years ago when I first heard about them. They aren't listed in the PBM-Erson catalog anymore.

I keep hearing about Norris rockers, but I can't find any info, or even if they are still available.
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: W2, W5 Rocker options - 01/31/10 12:44 AM

Get Harland Sharps and don't worry about it. There was a design problem with the Erson's, they're no longer made and therefore spares are non-existent unless you find someone with a broken set. The Harlands will hold up to anything it sounds like you will throw at them.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: W2, W5 Rocker options - 01/31/10 12:59 AM

Quote:

There was a design problem with the Erson's

....care to explain?

We run the Ersons on my dads W5's. I think when I finally got ahold of the "powers that be" that they only had two sets left. In hindsite I should have bought them both. We've had no issues with them so far.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: W2, W5 Rocker options - 01/31/10 01:01 AM

Quote:

Get Harland Sharps and don't worry about it. There was a design problem with the Erson's, they're no longer made and therefore spares are non-existent unless you find someone with a broken set. The Harlands will hold up to anything it sounds like you will throw at them.

So, what was Erson's design problem?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: W2, W5 Rocker options - 01/31/10 01:03 AM

TD makes rockers for them.... all I run now days
(last 10 years) is TD... great quality .... I run
fairly high rpm and strong spring pressures and never
had a single problem with the TD's
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: W2, W5 Rocker options - 01/31/10 01:13 AM

Quote:

.....if you're running 1.6's and break something, give me a shout. I'll buy your leftovers.
Posted By: Dustedu

Re: W2, W5 Rocker options - 01/31/10 04:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

.....if you're running 1.6's and break something, give me a shout. I'll buy your leftovers.

Me too I'm screwd if I break something need to have some extra parts
We got harlands on dads car and I much rather run the ersons
Posted By: DavidDean

Re: W2, W5 Rocker options - 01/31/10 04:53 AM

Norris rockers.I dont know if you can get a full set but I recently purchased some spares.They're also very good. There are some great ones listed above.

Attached picture 5771116-102409%20198.jpg
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: W2, W5 Rocker options - 01/31/10 06:01 AM

The problem may have been only with the very early units. If I remember correctly the fix to the problem was to saw through one side of the hold down. I can't remember what the sympton was to require this mod. It's been a bunch of years ago. I didn't get to use mine because of lack of pv clearance(machine shop calc goof) so I sold them and went to the Harland Sharpes. They were very nice rockers and it upset me that I could not use them.
Posted By: Plumb Wired

Re: W2, W5 Rocker options - 01/31/10 02:00 PM

Do yourself a favor and buy Harland Sharp, T&D or Jesel. We had failures in two 1.6 Ersons and couldn't get replacements so I had to sell them as a partial set and buy the HS's for $1000.

Go with a company that has been in business for many years and will likely survive in this economy.

Mike Gray

Re: W2, W5 Rocker options - 01/31/10 08:02 PM

Jesel lists them for use with 48* lifter angles... but they seem to be much more $ than the T&D or Harland Sharps. I'm leaning towards the T&D.
Posted By: JUST_N_TIME

Re: W2, W5 Rocker options - 01/31/10 11:51 PM

I just got a set of W5s with the TD rocker setup - it is a very sweet setup and appears very durable. Each pair of valves has its own shaft and rockers so if you did have a failure you could replace just one rocker set.
Don't forget to plug the oil hole - neerly missed it -whew.
i can send pics if you like - send me a pm.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: W2, W5 Rocker options - 02/01/10 03:15 PM

Quote:

Jesel lists them for use with 48* lifter angles... but they seem to be much more $ than the T&D or Harland Sharps. I'm leaning towards the T&D.

I have the Jesels on my X block w5 motor. They pushrod oil. The fit is perfect and they have been super thus far( 5 years or so)
the cost me about 700 bucks as i recall.

Re: W2, W5 Rocker options - 02/01/11 10:32 PM

Apparently Crane has rockers again:

Crane's web page
Posted By: fishy340

Re: W2, W5 Rocker options - 02/01/11 11:13 PM

crane is good for a slant six..rockers ARE poo poo

Re: W2, W5 Rocker options - 02/01/11 11:22 PM

Guess for the money its either T&D or Jesel for my heads then.
Posted By: 72demon416

Re: W2, W5 Rocker options - 02/02/11 12:18 AM

YEA- what he said! (Mike Gray)
© 2024 Moparts Forums